No! What "Oh heck!" Moments Can We Share?

Fiz

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to our local railway station this morning to get an advance ticket, and was met outside the ticket office by a member of staff who explained that they couldn't serve me at the moment because...

They'd all left the ticket office briefly and the door closed behind them. The electronic lock then went wrong and locked them out, and they couldn't get back in again.

Whoops! :D

• Like 6

Oops!  That's better than my trip this afternoon to the station to buy a ticket for tomorrow, only to find the booking office closed and the stupid ticket machine refusing to sell a "ticket for tomorrow" on Fridays :(

That reminded me of an incident a number of years ago. I was at ATM in porch way of our rural bank when I heard banging and my name being called. The two staff members had locked the door at end of business to cash up etc and then couldn't unlock the door to get out and although had called for help it was an hour away. They had to feed the keys out to me through the letterbox and I had to release them.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Ow! I know how that feels. I was round at my sister's, and needed to get into the loft for something. Now, she only has a very heavy steel (I think) stepladder (mine's aluminium). While I was trying to extend it and get it into the loft hatch, I don't quite know what went wrong, but it overbalanced somehow and fell out of the hatch, taking me with it because I wasn't strong enough to hold it back. It ended up falling flat on the floor (heaven knows what the downstairs neighbours thought!) with me on top of it! I had a lovely load of bruises on my legs marking the position of the rungs, and you could still feel the soreness on the bones for weeks afterwards http://www.balletcoforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/sad.png

• 1 month later...

Whew - panic over!

I bought a new toaster and kettle last week (because they match some of my bedding not because I needed them!) and have used both successfully.  I just decided I felt like a round of toast so I put a sandwich thin in the toaster and one half must have slipped right down some how!  It took me 10 minutes of shaking and maneuvering to get it out!!  Fortunately no damage was done.  I guess it was because it was so thin that I had the problem.

I shall stick to toasting crumpets in future!

• Like 2

That made me smile Janet; it reminded me of a little incident I had yesterday... as I was making toast, I noticed to my horror that there was smoke coming from the toaster- but what baffled me was that the toast itself wasn't burnt. Alas, a long brown hair had somehow managed to get itself inside the toaster and had singed, which made the whole house smell awful- whoops!

Oh and I've never had a problem with toasting sandwich thins, although I tend to put the whole thin in the toaster, so the outside is toasted & crispy but the inside is soft like bread- oh dear, I sound very random, but at least it doesn't get stuck in the toaster :P

• Like 3

Talking of toasters, I got to work the other day and there was a terrible smell of electrical burning in the hallway. I asked a colleague about it who replied that she had noticed it too. Mmmm, no need to panic then. Anyway, I went into the kitchen where the smell was worse and somebody said it was the toaster. I looked at the toaster which was unplugged, cold to the touch and to my eyes completely innocent. 

I suspected it might in fact be the microwave, as there was smoke coming from it. So I switched it off and opened the door to find a box of incinerated chips. Nobody seemed remotely interested or concerned or to be the owner of the chips. I wondered if I had walked into a parallel universe. Keep calm and carry on! :blink:

• Like 4

Whew - panic over!

I bought a new toaster and kettle last week (because they match some of my bedding not because I needed them!) and have used both successfully.  I just decided I felt like a round of toast so I put a sandwich thin in the toaster and one half must have slipped right down some how!  It took me 10 minutes of shaking and maneuvering to get it out!!  Fortunately no damage was done.  I guess it was because it was so thin that I had the problem.

I shall stick to toasting crumpets in future!

Janet,why would you need a toaster to match your bedding?Unless you sleep in the kitchen???[Or you make tea and toast in the bedroom !!!]

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 4

Neither!!!  I just like the design.  As well as the toaster and kettle, worktop savers, storage boxes, placemats, jewellery box, dressmaker's model and mini version of same have been produced as well...

(It's called beautiful birds and is available at Dunelm!)

• Like 2

Janet, you've given me a horrible flashback to Eternal Beau :(

I suspected it might in fact be the microwave, as there was smoke coming from it. So I switched it off and opened the door to find a box of incinerated chips. Nobody seemed remotely interested or concerned or to be the owner of the chips. I wondered if I had walked into a parallel universe. Keep calm and carry on! :blink:

Which of course recalls the visiting ballet company at the ROH where one of the dancers left a baked potato in the microwave.  I think it exploded or something, but it set the fire alarm off and we all had to evacuate the place!

• Like 1

Talking of toasters, I got to work the other day and there was a terrible smell of electrical burning in the hallway. I asked a colleague about it who replied that she had noticed it too. Mmmm, no need to panic then. Anyway, I went into the kitchen where the smell was worse and somebody said it was the toaster. I looked at the toaster which was unplugged, cold to the touch and to my eyes completely innocent. 

There was a dreadful smell in the kitchenette in work some years ago.  Eventually someone opened a bag that noone claimed and it contained a rotted cucumber.  In the end we thought it may have belonged to someone who had left about 6 months earlier!

There is a dent on the lid of our wheelie bin.  I had no idea how it had happened until fairly recently when my niece told me she had put something on a plate in the microwave.  She admitted turning the dial around as far as she could!!  When she took the item out she realised something was amiss and ran out of the house with it, placing the plate on top of the wheelie bin, where it immediately shattered and was hot enough to cause the dent!!  (She used to wash everything at 90 degrees as well!)

• Like 2

Neither!!! I just like the design. As well as the toaster and kettle, worktop savers, storage boxes, placemats, jewellery box, dressmaker's model and mini version of same have been produced as well...

(It's called beautiful birds and is available at Dunelm!)

My mother has just updated her bedroom with this design - it is very pretty.

Edited by Jane
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I thought we had a thread called "Oh no!" or something like that, but can't find it, so in its absence:

Decided this evening to knock up a quick meal of pasta, veg and tuna.  Was forking the tuna out of the tin and into the saucepan when my finger must have slipped on a bit of oil, tin went flying, and 2/3 of the tuna ended up all over the kitchen floor, with whatever oil I hadn't already drained off!

Then, later on, I decided to make a mug of cocoa.  In the microwave.  Stupid Sainsbury's cocoa doesn't dissolve properly, so I put it back in the micro for another 30 seconds, and what happens?  The blasted thing goes and boils all over the microwave!

Think I'll stick to freezer meals in future! :(

(Oh, and if anyone does know the thread I mean please point me to it and I'll move this one)

Adding further insult to injury: this evening I went to get a carton of orange juice out of a shrinkwrapped pack of 4.  The wrapping pulled the plastic cap/spout thingy off the carton!  Forgetting that you could pull the gable end up and cut it to form a spout, I made the mistake of pulling off the seal from the hole underneath where the spout should have been and attempting to pour from there.  The OJ went everywhere - including the kitchen floor which I'd just washed to make sure I'd got all the tuna oil up :(

• Like 5

I was kneeling to paint a door frame today and the tin of paint slipped from my fingers - the subsequent bounce and slosh saw my face and chest drenched in half a litre of paint.  Luckily I had plastic down, but I daren't move to get paper towels for fear of dripping it on the carpet, so I had to scrape it off my face and back into the tin with the brush, then wrap myself in a dust sheet to go clean up. I said rather more than 'oh heck'.  :D       Farrow and Ball Lime White, before you ask...

• Like 4

On 5/6/2017 at 17:09, Quintus said:

I was kneeling to paint a door frame today and the tin of paint slipped from my fingers - the subsequent bounce and slosh saw my face and chest drenched in half a litre of paint.  Luckily I had plastic down, but I daren't move to get paper towels for fear of dripping it on the carpet, so I had to scrape it off my face and back into the tin with the brush, then wrap myself in a dust sheet to go clean up. I said rather more than 'oh heck'.  :D       Farrow and Ball Lime White, before you ask...

definitely a first world problem  if it was F+B ... 

On 6.5.2017 at 18:09, Quintus said:

I had to scrape it off my face and back into the tin with the brush, then wrap myself in a dust sheet to go clean up.

A pale phantom!

Photos or it didn't happen :P!

• Like 5

I'd buy that on the spot.

I too have a paintbrush story to tell, but it’s not new.

Once I lived in a flat which was spacious but quite dark, so I decided to paint my bedroom all white. I planned the whole business very carefully and removed everything from the room except for an old wardrobe.

After I had finished the ceiling and the walls I started on the floorboards and when I was applying the last bit of paint, my neighbour came over and suggested a visit to the pub. ‘Yes”, I said, ‘just let me change into something clean’.

I had to wear borrowed clothes for two days before the floor could be stepped on and I was able to get my own things from my wardrobe.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

This is the thread that someone, I think it was Alison wanted. My Oh no! moment was when Amylabrador emptied her stomach right by my feet right after her breakfast. It got the day off to a decidedly unpleasant start yesterday! 😬

Edited by Fiz
Missed out a bit.
  • Like 2

Thanks, Fiz.  I scrolled down page after page and couldn't spot it, despite going right back to something like 2013 ...

BTW, your edit comment fascinates me: do I want to know which bit it was you missed out? :)

Here's my post for good measure:

On 22/09/2017 at 00:21, alison said:

I've lost the "oh no!" thread again (if someone can remember what it's called, I'll move this), so will post this here for the time being.  It's not for the squeamish, so I've put it in spoiler tags. You have been warned!

Reveal hidden contents

Went out this evening (it had rained earlier) to put out the recycling.  My heart sank as I heard that familiar crunching noise as I put my foot down which tells you that you've just trodden on a snail.  I hurriedly took my foot off the poor thing and put it down elsewhere - only to feel a horrible squishing as I flattened a VERY large slug.  Euuuughhhh!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Getting on to the BBC website this morning, and finding that Monarch airlines have gone bust.

Guess who was supposed to be flying out with them in the next few days? :(

Oh no Fonty.  I hope you can get alternative arrangements sorted.

• Like 1