No! What "Oh heck!" Moments Can We Share?

Fiz

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Following on from the car debacle, hubby now in the doghouse with dd. he found the remains of a chocolate bar in the fridge and ate it (as you do!).

DD then says "Where is my chocolate?" so he owns up and offers to replace it.

She then points out that it was special chocolate, not availble in the shops here, and was a present from her best friend who brought it back from France!

Whoops ;)

• Like 3

My worst ever driving moment....

I was late for a hairdressers appointment, dashed out of the house, hopped into my car and reversed across the drive just as I have done a thousand times before. Until I heard a loud "crunch" which gave me a dreadful shock, as there's never anything parked behind me. My husband has 2 cars - a company car that he'd gone to work in as usual, plus the true love of his life, his classic Alfa Romeo, that is always in the garage. Always, except on that particular morning........it was an awkward phone call.....

• Like 1

Okay - here goes.....probably my most embarrassing moment....let's see if I can write this as tastefully as possible (don't want to embarrass myself more)....

After a day of rehearsals and a performance in the evening, I was planning on meeting my fellow dancers, friends and my husband at a very popular restaurant. It's a casual restaurant but always crowded. The restaurant is long rather than wide with almost all the tables on either side of one very long aisle.

I planned the day very carefully. For the restaurant portion I had a nice skirt and blouse, fresh undies, and many moist towlettes since I knew there wouldn't be any opportunity to take a shower. I also brought several plastic bags in which to put my sweaty leotards, tights and the "upper" undie (a black lacy job) which I had worn under my costume.

I went to the ladies room (loo) and carefully freshened up, putting the wet stuff into the plastic bags, putting the plastic bags into my large dance bag, put on clean undies, my attrractive street clothes, good shoes, combed my hair - even had nice earrings and a necklace for this change of clothes. I was feeling very proud of myself for being so organized.

Still feeling rather satisfied with my superior planning abilities....I walked down that very long aisle in the restaurant - with poise and aplomb.

Then I heard a man's voice behind me: " Madam.....uh......er....is this yours?"

Well, he couldn't mean me ....so I continued to walk. The voice grew louder and more insistent (but still very polite) - and now no in the entire restaurant could have missed hearing him - everyone - everyone - turned to look at him. And, then, finaly I turned around.....

To my horror he was holding up the black lacy upper undie and said again: "Madam is this yours?"

Oh dear.

I was sorely tempted to disclaim any ownership - but.....the look on my face belied that possibility.

Apparently, a lacy bit had caught onto a buckle on my purse strap which pulled it out of the plastic bag inside my dance bag and then in the middle of my walk down that long aisle - dropped to the floor.

I do believe in gremlins.

• Like 5

Carrying on the car theme, my OH is a car fanatic - classic cars in particular.

Unfortunately one day, many moons ago, he had his first ever prang in 20+ years, reversing into an "invisible" post...so our family car went into the garage for repair.

I didn't have my own car at the time, so had to borrow one of his classics to get to work and I chose the hither to untested by me, Lotus. Pretty bright red classic two seater...lovely cruise along the seafront to work and parked as usual.

After work headed back to car and drove 20ft to the end of the road, turned on to the main road, adjacent to local rail track and WHOOSH!! flames shot up the bonnet!!! Seriously the car just went up on flames!!

I leapt out, flapped a bit...banging on doors of cottages lining the road...imagining commuter train flying past as car explodes...houses being blown apart...hopping up and down calling the fire brigade whilst watching OH's car disappear in flames!

Fire brigade were there in minutes, told me cars rarely explode these days, unless they're on the tv...they told me to go to the pub on the corner and have a stiff drink whilst they sorted it out...

Phone call to OH.."you pranged my car - I melted yours"

( the Lotus was fibreglass so the firemen literally shovelled the melted car off the road!) Whoops ;) Nice G&T though :D

• Like 2

Not a specific "oh what the heck" but how often do people lose their cars in car parks?

I do frequently - the most recent being at the Lowry a couple of Tuesdays ago. By the time I found it, I got stuck in the traffic not only exiting from the Lowry but also Old Trafford and it took me 90 minutes instead of 40 to get home!

The first time I went out with a friend after I had got my first car (not that long ago in the scheme of things) we went to our local Showcase cinema that has got an enormous open car park. Neither of us took any notice of the row we were parked in (and in those days the cinema was much busier than they seem to be these days) and it took us half an hour to find it after we came out.

On another occasion in Bath a friend and I didn't realise that the front and back entrances of the car park by the HIlton brought you in at different levels. We thought her car had been stolen and were on the verge of reporting it to the police before we realised! Fortunately we hadn't gone that extra step so didn't make total fools of ourselves!

• Like 1

I am back from a dreadful "oh heck" week - no broadband! And my daily fix of balletco has been restricted to sneaky peeks from my computer at work or a microscopic (and expensive) view on my phone. How did we ever live without the internet? If anyone had seen me and all 3 children running around the house yelling "it's back! It's back!" when we finally discovered we were on line again this evening they would probably have sent for the men in white coats! But anyway...it's good to be back!

• Like 5

Good luck Fiz!

I remember about 6 years ago I got home from work on Maundy Thursday afternoon to find my youngest niece standing, arms akimbo, on the doorstep saying the internet was down. I did all the usual checks and then realised that the cable TV was also not working. It was the Easter weekend from Hell. (My nieces spend a lot of time at our house) The cable people were not interested in the fact that both broadband and tv were down and insisted on trying various things, which could not happen until after the weekend. I ended up getting a netbook with mobile internet, and it was a sanity saver! It took 3 weeks before a call centre rep acknowledged that the problem might not have been with my PC, modem, electrical supply, any number of cables etc and organised an engineer to check outside the house. It was the junction box at the bottom of the road! I must say that that is the only problem we have ever had with our internet provider in over 9 years.

Nice to see you back Pups_Mum!

• Like 1

I was in the middle of taking clean clothes out of the washing machine and had a pile of dirty clothes in a basket ready to put in when the phone rang. I locked the door to the utility, put the key on top of the bookcase and left my 3 year old playing in the next room. After literaly just 3 minutes on the phone I realised she had gone quiet and went to find her. She had wanted to be helpful so she had climbed the bookcase for the key, unlocked the utility door and started on 'helping' with the washing. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at all my clean and dirty clothes in the machine and all over the floor, all covered in washing powder - as was she!! I got there just in time to stop her adding the fabric conditioner! But that was a least in the privacy of our own home. In a furniture warehouse, as the salesman asked what we were after, our little houdini escaped the double harness on her pushchair and crawled through a tiny gap between the furniture. They had to close the whole warehouse so that they could safely move furniture to get her out!! Luckily we were able to lay a trail of chocloate buttons on the floor for her to tempt her out while they were waiting for the lifting men to get there! So embarassing!

Edited for spelling

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 3

Hello! Here I am again! Thank you, BT and large raspberries to TalkTalk :angry:

Ah, dear TalkTalk - this brings back memories of a traumatic saga of my own which I won't bore everyone with. Suffice it to say that I have recently thrown out a huge file of correspondence, copies of emails and notes of abortive telephone conversations with TalkTalk about their appalling service, including making it almost impossible to pay the bills let alone get the bills right in the first place. I wouldn't have minded so much if I had signed up with them voluntarily - caveat emptor and all that - but I was bequeathed to them through a labyrinthine series of take-overs and mergers via British Gas.

Sympathies to you, Fiz - and if you've severed all links with TalkTalk, congratulations!

• Like 2

I had orders a few days ago for Janet to put this on here. A fortnight ago, I managed to fall over while carrying the ironing board! One moment I was upright and walking and the next I was on the floor with ironing board bruising me everywhere! Some dancer!

• Like 1

I think it's almost endemic for dancers to fall at strange times.

Many years ago I contacted a piano teacher and told him I would like to take lessons as a beginner. I didn't expect to play seriously - but I needed to do this so as a ballet teacher I could communicate effectively with the class pianist. Also, as a teacher, I thought it is was a good idea to be a beginner at something. It's a good perspective for a teacher.

The lessons were given in a concert hall with a grand piano on an otherwise empty stage. The teacher told me before we met that he was very much interested in dance but had never actually met a dancer or a dance teacher.

So, I show up for my first class. Since I was going directly to the ballet school to teach after my piano lesson, I was wearing my hair in a bun, a leotard, tights, and a black skirt - looking very dancer-ish.

We walked onto the stage. He stopped on one side of the piano bench, I kept walking and took a very balletic spill over the bench.

I don't know what his face looked like at that moment - I avoided looking at him.

Argh!

• Like 3

Taxi - you make my day!

I once caused a similarly embarrassing experience for someone else. I was at a ballet performance at the Liverpool Empire some years ago when I bumped into a gentleman who organised theatre coach trips from my local area. I had been with his group on a number of occasions and he offered me a place on the coach home. I gratefully accepted.

Unfortunately, when he did the count on the bus he must have forgotten he had invited me and he left a distraught, very elderly lady behind. She did get home safely but it must have been a shock to see the coach driving off without her.

• Like 1

Talking of falling over my epic one was Dec 2010. Youngest dd was performing in panto and I had half an hour before I needed to collect her so decided to spoil myself with a coffee and sit down. When it was time to leave I went to put my mug in the dishwasher - unfortunately it was dark and I didn't bother turning the light on. I forgot that we had brought the guinea-pigs indoors because of the cold and they were running round the kitchen (the only room with no exposed electrical wires for them to bite through) so there was a board across the doorway to stop them getting out but still allow the cat access. I went flying, mug shattered and cut through base of my little finger severing nerve, tendon and artery! Chaperone had to bring my dd home while I went off in an ambulance for surgery. I still have very little feeling in my finger 2 years later and never walk round in the dark anymore!

Today's 'oh heck...' ; recieved the rehearsal schedule for a drama production i'm doing. Rehearsals for the next 6 months are every Monday-Thursday, with 4 consecutive Sunday rehearsals. I dance on Wednesday and Thursday, and do a youth ballet on Sundays...

Oh and my soft pointes seem to have vanished off the face of the planet. grrr. ;)

Edited by swanprincess
  • Like 1

I have just found out how very overdrawn we are, do not care for the job or the people I work with and am not much looking forward to ballet tomorrow because I am not learning anything or dancing enough.

Today's 'oh heck...' ; recieved the rehearsal schedule for a drama production i'm doing. Rehearsals for the next 6 months are every Monday-Thursday, with 4 consecutive Sunday rehearsals. I dance on Wednesday and Thursday, and do a youth ballet on Sundays...

Just had to pull my dd out of her drama production - she has been burning the candle at both ends and last night they met in the middle and melted - the poor thing ended up doing a pirouette on her bum instead of her feet :mellow: