No! What "Oh heck!" Moments Can We Share?

Fiz

The gas board has been digging up the road in a nearby village for several weeks, and gradually working their way along (making a mess as they go as usual).

Today, they must have been a little over-enthusiastic in their digging. As I drove home this afternoon I couldn't help noticing an enormous fountain of water gushing about forty feet in the air and considerable frenzied activity form the drenched workmen desperately trying to stem the flow...

Whoops!!!

• Like 3

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Let me set the scene - I am sitting in the lounge this morning and dh is in the kitchen (he is known for being a tad clumsy, especially when in a hurry).

All of a sudden I heard the strangest noise - a sort of thudding kerflomping splosh followed by a mild expletive from dh. Uh-oh, I thought, what has he dropped? Then it became clear...

Slowly, rolling out of the kitchen and across the floor towards me - like a wheel in a cartoon car crash - came the green lid from a freshly-opened 4-pint carton of milk...!

• Like 7

I know it sounds a bit mean but I'm always secretly glad when my partner does something like that!! I'm the slightly more clumsy one on the whole so I get a bit tired of hearing "what's the matter with you!" So it's a great relief when he messes up(eg: dropping and smashing a pot of apricot jam) so I can call out "what on earths the matter with you!!"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We inherited a buglar alarm when we bought the house but no codes were provided for it as the vendors said it didn't work. It went off at 3.00 a.m. today! My poor husband wrestled with no information and native cunning against the brute for over 40 minutes to stop the main alarm and another 20 minutes to stop the secondary one. I could feel everyone hating us. It was awful. It then went off again at 10. The security firm only wanted to flog us a new and expensive policy or provide a vastly overpriced engineer to cut a wire. The builders next door were much more helpful. My husband flipped the main switch off and the builder shinned up a ladder and snipped the wire. The silence was lovely as were our neighbours when we went round to apologise. We have all felt fragile from sleep deprivation and annoyance today. :(

Edited by Fiz
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

DD opened her new Body Shop glitter spray today - it is one of those cosmetic/perfume puffer things that gently suffuses you with a sparkly glow.

Well, not this particular booby-trapped one, oh no...

She took it out of the packet and then shrieked as the darned thing gave out a great seconds-long pent-up PUFFFFFFT and showered huge cascades of glittery specks up into the air and all over her, me, the floor, this laptop, the cat, and everything else in the room. The stuff has now wafted about and spread pretty much all around the entire house :o

• Like 8

Yes it's amazing how honest most people are!!

If you get the train company's Lost Property number they used to keep items returned for up to three months.

I imagine if someone finds them whose never seen pointe shoes before they could be quite fascinated by them!

Don't be disappointed if they don't turn up immediately.....if someone has picked them up (as opposed to a member of train company finding them) they may wait till the following day or next time they travel before finding out what to do with them but hopefully they'll turn up in the next couple of days!!

Thank you, I rang the train company and they are going to call me if the shoes turn up in lost property. Unfortunately, the receipt which says the shoes were £50 was also in the bag with them, so whoever found them may decide to try making some money on EBay!!!! My slight problem now is that I have an audition in a week's time and no decent pointe shoes.... :(

Oh dear Swan Princess I do feel for you

Have you got time to go out and buy another pair ......as if you get the others back and hopefully you will....you can still use them down the line. At least then you won't have to buy any for quite a while........you could put it like this to mum and dad......who obviously may not be too keen on paying out again so soon. :(

With the lost property .....keep ringing them rather than wait for them to ring you .....just to keep them on their toes!

That way they'll get a sense of how important the shoes are to you and may do more checking.

How are your current old ones......can they be cleaned up or hardened up if that is what's required or would it be out of the question to wear them for the audition?

And just in case.....keep an eye out on eBay then!!

Has your mum or dad got "sniper"

• Like 1

Echo what Linm says about keep chasing them, rather than wait for them to ring you.  DD left her PE kit behind once and it did get reunited with us but took about a week as once located it was kept safe but had a few days of journeying to and fro before it actually found its way back to the lost property office.  I think it would have been travelling much longer if I had not kept chasing (or handed over when the smell got too much)  I wish you luck for the shoes and the audition.

• Like 1

I suppose I could buy another pair- I have a voucher for a dance shop so it would be less expensive.... I brought the original pair with my own money though, which is why it is so annoying!

My old ones aren't too dead, I could wear them but they are very tight- my feet seem to have grown recently, which is why I brought new shoes...

What is 'sniper' Lin, I've never heard of it?!

Thank you all for the advice, I'll ring the train company again tomorrow to see if there's any news from lost property xx

Hi Swanprincess

Sniper is a piece of software that you can have on your computer so that when you are bidding on eBay it just comes in once with your bid right at the end with about 5-10 seconds to go!!

Example: let's say you saw your shoes on eBay!! You know you paid £50 for them so obviously you wouldn't pay more than that!

If you decided then say that your very highest price was going to be £50 and you put that into eBay in the NORMAL way then as people bid your bid will show your interest and keep bidding for you until you either pull out yourself or if you are NOT watching it ...it will pull out if the bidding goes over £50.

Usually you can see the list of bidders and towards the end it can be obvious who is most interested in the item.

Some people get carried away at this point and get so determined to win the item that they end up paying over the odds for it......more than it's really worth. However within 10 mins say of the end the top bid may be only showing £30 say at that point. So unless you had put a sealed bid in for £50 already.....you could be watching and just put small increments of £2-3 hoping to,get them for say £40!!

The thing about sniper is ......if say I was to bid on your shoes and also for arguments sake decided £52 was my maximum bid......as in this case I know you paid £50 for them.....it will not show my interest in your item and in the closing seconds of the bidding sniper suddenly comes in and will jump to the price I want to pay before you can bid manually to up the price yourself!!

Sniper won't win always because somebody may be prepared to pay £60 for your shoes!!

But in this particular instance you would be so keen to get your shoes back that you could put in a ridiculous price like £100 with sniper gambling that nobody would be prepared to pay THAT much .....and sniper would come in at the last second and hopefully get the shoes back at just over whatever the last bidder puts in.......whether that was £10 or £40! Nobody knows you are bidding when you have sniper that's the main advantage ......so you could call it "sneaky sniper" if you like!!

Sorry if this is not brilliantly clear!

Ive never used it because I hardly ever use eBay. However my partner uses it a lot and just the other day won some hifi speakers with sniper .....as he knew very well what sort of price people would be likely to go to .....so made sure his sniper bid was well over this and sure enough he won them! However if there had been an inexperienced bidder who didn't really know the true value of such speakers they might have been prepared to go to a really ridiculous price and then my partner would have lost them.

Anyway here's hoping your shoes will turn up. How far would you have to go to the lost Property place to get them back if they turn up?

I don't suppose you have a dancing friend who wears the same size and make of shoe as you who has slightly newer shoes and might lend them to you just for one day?

But if your shoes are just workable ......you may be better off in these ......at least they will be familiar on your foot even if strictly speaking you do need new ones now.

Edited by LinMM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was in the garden this morning, and via an open window heard this from my next-door-neighbour:

"John, John, can you come upstairs.... John? JOHN!!!! COME UP QUICKLY - AND BRING A BIN BAG WITH YOU!"

:D  :D  :D

(I might have to pop round later and find out what's going on!)