No! What "Oh heck!" Moments Can We Share?

Fiz

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

We took Princess Chunkydog to the beach this morning and it was a lovely crisp sunny winter's day with a bit of ground and river mist slowly rising. We've just nipped out again and thick fog has descended! What happened to our lovely day?

Anyway it reminded me of an incident a couple of years ago. I had dropped my car off at the garage for its service on my way into work. I had to get the train to collect it on the way home. There was an incredibly thick fog. The walk from the station should have taken about 10 minutes and was very straightforward but in the seriously thick fog I became completely disorientated. Eventually I saw a building I half recognised and was able to orientate myself from that. I had gone way too far and the walk ended up taking me half an hour. The garage would have been shut but for the kind receptionist who had stayed behind so that I could collect my car! It was a disconcerting experience to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

New one today:

I was on my way to the Royal Opera House this morning to watch a dress rehearsal of Onegin when I slipped and fell very dramatically. Frustratingly I was only a hundred metres or so from the Opera House door and I laid in the snow looking mournfully at said door until the ambulance arrived. Needless to say, I missed the rehearsal. So close yet so far!

There was a bit of a surprise in store for the chap driving the car in front of me at the traffic lights this morning.

As he slowed down, all the snow on the roof of his car chose that moment to slide forwards and down onto his windscreen, covering it completely in a huge thick mass. He had to leap out of the car and clear it all off before the lights changed! :D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Serves him right: how many times do they warn you to clear all the snow off your roof before departing precisely so it doesn't slide down over your windscreen when you brake sharply, and cause an accident?  Saw that very nearly happen a couple of days ago.

• Like 2

Had to laugh at that one taxi4ballet - when we have very bad snow I leave our little car in the drive for hubby to take to the station - if he get's stuck it's a walkable distance - just..... and I take our 4WD as I have the kids to drop off and then a 20 mile drive to work. Unfortunately I can't reach above half way up the windscreen and windows (the car's not that tall, I'm just vertically challenged!).

So to prevent the snow falling onto the windscreen when I brake I have a little ritual that my neighbours find very amusing. Once I've reversed out of our drive I brake sharply - the snow falls down the back windscreen and that's the back half of the roof cleared. Then I make the car jerk forward - no I'm not about to stall this is part of the process - and hey presto the rest of the snow falls on to the front of the windscreen and I can then use the scraper and the wipers to remove it. Then I can drive off happy in the knowledge that I'm not going to be blinded at any time.

• Like 5

Such fun for my poor husband yesterday... He drove dd and me to the station, and happily waved us off, taking my keys with him (he left his in the house). He got home, went in the front door, and put down the keys and his mobile phone on the dresser. Several minutes later he went out into the back garden and closed the patio doors behind him. The handle completely broke and swung round loose, leaving him stuck outside. His keys in house. My keys in house. Mobile phone in house. Me and dd on train to London. Next-door neighbour out. Neighbour other side out. Ah... small top kitchen window open... So, reach arm in to see if he can open big kitchen window, no, it's locked. Round to other neighbour whose son is double-glazing engineer. She phones him. He is out. Borrows neighbour's phone and calls double glazing company. No answer on Sunday lunchtime. Ah - they have showroom at garden centre. Get bike out of (fortunately unlocked) shed. Cycle 5 miles to garden centre: showroom shut, cycle back again. Getting a bit desperate now. What if he can squeeze into small - and I mean small - kitchen window? Head in (just), arm, other arm, shoulders (just). Wriggle through: belt catches on frame. Wriggle free. Take off belt. Head, arms, shoulders, waist, hips (only just!), slide down until arms on draining board, then slowly rest of body and legs, carefully avoiding all the cactus plants on the windowsill, and IN AT LAST!

You should see this window, honestly you couldn't squeeze a football through it, how he got in is a miracle....!!!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Leaving brand new tube of hand cream at the office where I was supposed to be temping.  turned up at 08.00 this morning and they don't want me because I don't want to work the full 5 days the two weeks dd is coming home.  She went back on 5 January and apart from one weekend when we flew up to see her show haven't seen her.  Really, really not in a good mood now, feeling very rejected :(

• 4 months later...

Following on from my post in the cat thread about my neighbour's cat who catches moles...

We arrived home last night after a few days away to discover the back garden in complete disarray and looking like a miniature tank training ground.

After some head-scratching, tripping over bumps in the lawn (well, I say "lawn", more like an expanse of dandelions with clumps of grass in it) and peering into holes under bushes we've come to the conclusion that next-door's cat has brought a live mole back from somewhere and managed to let it escape... it has burrowed under the neighbour's fence, and made it's way into our garden!!!!

If it can make this much mess in four days, I dread to think what the garden will look like in a few weeks' time :wacko:

• Like 2

Animals making a mess reminds me of last year a gull came down into the side passage of our bungalow which leads to the garden but instead go heading to the garden he headed towards the back door which was...of course...open! By the time we discovered it was actually in the living room there was certainly a mess as it panicked trying to fly out of the living room window!

My partner managed to get hold of it and return it to the garden getting his hand pecked for his rescue attempt!!

So now if am out in garden have to try to remember to close the back door because the mess was not that pleasant to clear up!!

A few years ago, I was down somewhere by the woodshed when I realised I could hear this vague crunching noise.  Couldn't work out where it was coming from, but finally realised it was coming from the shed roof.  Wood-eating bees.  They'd totally undermined the pieces of wood holding the roofing felt down!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

When we were moving from Philadelphia to San Diego, the company who had hired my newly graduated husband also paid for the move which included packing everything up.  Newly married, we didn't have that much.  The movers were supposed to come at 10 a.m.

At 8 a.m. we were sitting in our bathrobes at our breakfast table eating when (of all unlikely events) the movers arrived early.  We gulped down the eggs and toast and ran into the bedroom to get dressed.  In just those few minutes the movers  packed up the kitchen - including the unwashed breakfast dishes and the fry pan I had used to make the eggs.  I couldn't retrieve them and the crew ignored my request to find the dishes - they were now deep inside one of several large boxes each sealed over with tape. 

Four weeks later, now in San Diego, the moving truck arrived at our newly rented house.  The new moving crew (they had come on board as the truck moved west) carried in our stuff and began unpacking the boxes.  Out came the crusty breakfast dishes and fry pan.  What really mortified me was the look of disgust on the faces of the moving crew - aimed in my direction. 

I didn't even bother to explain.

• Like 6