ENB Skeaping Giselle Coliseum Casting

Begoña's name had disappeared from the cast page when I looked last week. I can only assume she is unable to dance at present. I hope she is ok.

Dd and I managed to get last minute-ish tickets for the matinée on Sun 15th. I've never seen Skeaping's Giselle so am very much looking forward to it.

Oh lucky you Anna!  

Mary Skeaping's Giselle is the first production of Giselle I ever saw as a ballet newbie - in 1985 with Mary McKendry and Maurizio Bellezza - and I was bored rigid.  I wondered what the heck it was all about, having got hooked on ballet via Onegin and Mayerling.  My thoughts then seem ridiculous now because it is such a beautiful, traditional production and is my absolute favourite of the traditional productions I have seen.

Enjoy!  I can't wait to hear what you think.

• Like 3

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Updated casting  for Giselle:

Wednesday 11 January (Press night)
Alina Cojocaru* and Isaac Hernández *

Thursday 12 January (mat)
Alison McWhinney* and Yonah Acosta*

Thursday 12 January 
Jurgita Dronina* and Alejandro Virelles*

Friday 13 January
Laurretta Summerscales* and Xander Parish* (with Michaela DePrince* as Myrtha)

Saturday 14 January (mat)
Tamara Rojo and Xander Parish

Saturday 14 January 
Alina Cojocaru and Isaac Hernández (with Michaela DePrince as Myrtha)

Sunday 15 January (mat)
Alison McWhinney and Yonah Acosta

Tuesday 17 January

Wednesday 18 January
Elisa Badenes* and Cesar Corrales*

Thursday 19 January (mat)
Alison McWhinney* and Ken Saruhashi*

Thursday 19 January
Laurretta Summerscales and Xander Parish

Friday 20 January 

Saturday 21 January (mat)
Jurgita Dronina and Alejandro Virelles

Saturday 21 January

Sunday 22 January (mat)
Elisa Badenes and Cesar Corrales

*debut in role

Edited to add that the many changes are due to injury.   

Edited by Bluebird

We've received a press release announcing the changes:

Cast changes for English National Ballet’s performances of Mary Skeaping’s Giselle at the London Coliseum.

Previously advertised Principal casting for Mary Skeaping’s Giselle has changed, due to injury.  

Guest Artist Jurgita Dronina, Principal with the National Ballet of Canada, performs in the role of Giselle, joining previously announced Guest Artists for the productions run at the London Coliseum; Xander Parish, First Soloist with the Mariinsky Ballet, performing in the role of Albrecht, Elisa Badenes Principal with Stuttgart Ballet, performing in the role of Giselle, and Michaela DePrince, Soloist with Dutch National Ballet, performing for the first time in the UK in the role of Myrtha on the 13, 14, 17, and 20 January 2017.

Further principal casting includes Lead Principals Alina Cojocaru, and Tamara Rojo, Principal Laurretta Summerscales, and Soloist Alison McWhinney perform in the role of Giselle. Performing in the role of Albrecht is Lead Principal Isaac Hernández, Principals Yonah Acosta and Alejandro Virelles, First Soloist Cesar Corrales, and Junior Soloist Ken Saruhashi

Updated Principal Casting

(Casting is subject to change. Please see http://www.ballet.org.uk/ for up-to-date info)

Giselle (in the order of Giselle and Albrecht)

Wednesday 11 January (Press night)

Alina Cojocaru* and Isaac Hernández *

Thursday 12 January (mat)

Alison McWhinney* and Yonah Acosta*

Thursday 12 January

Jurgita Dronina* and Alejandro Virelles*

Friday 13 January

Laurretta Summerscales* and Xander Parish* (with Michaela DePrince* as Myrtha)

Saturday 14 January (mat)

Saturday 14 January

Sunday 15 January (mat)

Alison McWhinney and Yonah Acosta

Tuesday 17 January

Wednesday 18 January

Elisa Badenes* and Cesar Corrales*

Thursday 19 January (mat)

Alison McWhinney* and Ken Saruhashi*

Thursday 19 January

Laurretta Summerscales and Xander Parish

Friday 20 January

Saturday 21 January (mat)

Jurgita Dronina and Alejandro Virelles

Saturday 21 January

Sunday 22 January (mat)

Elisa Badenes and Cesar Corrales

*debut in role

Notes to Editors:

For further information about English National Ballet and to book tickets visitwww.ballet.org.uk. Please note performance details are subject to change.

Guest Artists Biographies

Xander Parish

Xander was born in East Yorkshire, England, & at the age of eight began dancing locally in Kingston upon Hull at the Skelton Hooper School. In 1998 he joined the Royal Ballet School in London where he trained until summer 2005 when he joined The Royal Ballet Company's corps de ballet. In 2009, Xander was invited to join The Mariinsky Theatre by its ballet director Yuri Fateyev and moved to St. Petersburg to join the company in January 2010 as its only British dancer.

His repertoire includes: Swan Lake (Prince Siegfried), Giselle (Count Albrecht), The Sleeping Beauty (Prince Désiré), Romeo & Juliet (Romeo), The Nutcracker (The Nutcracker Prince), Scheherazade (The Golden Slave), Chopiniana (The Poet), Ratmansky's Anna Karenina (Vronsky), Perljocaj's Le Parc, Ashton's Sylvia(Aminta) and Marguerite & Armand (Armand), Balanchine ballets including ApolloJewels(Emeralds & Diamonds), Serenade (Waltz, Elegy) and A Midsummer Night's Dream (Demetrius), Hans Van Manen's Adagio Hammerklavier & Variations For Two Couples, Millepied's Without & La nuit s'achève and McGregor's Infra.

Xander was the recipient of the Taglioni Award in the category “Best Young Male Dancer” (Berlin, 2014), the recipient of the Léonide Massine Prize in the category “Emerging Talent on the International Scene" (Positano, Italy, 2014) and won the UK Critics' Circle National Dance Awards 'Outstanding Male Performance (Classical)' category for 'Apollo' 2014.

Xander is generously supported by The Mariinsky Theatre Trust UK.

Michaela DePrince

Michaela DePrince was born Mabinty Bangura on 6 January 1995 in Sierra Leone. She lost her parents when she was three, and was taken to an orphanage by her uncle. At the age of four, she and her best friend Mia were adopted by Elaine and Charles DePrince and taken to the US. Inspired by a magazine cover with a ballerina on it, DePrince trained as a ballet dancer. She was one of the stars in the 2011 American Documentary First Position (which won her a scholarship to the American Ballet Theatre’s Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School of Ballet), and guest-performed on the television show Dancing with the Stars during singer Natasha Bedingfield’s live performance. After graduating, DePrince joined the Dance Theatre of Harlem in New York as the youngest member of the company. In 2013 she joined the Dutch National Ballet and has been promoted to Grand Sujet for the coming season. Last December Michaela performed The Nutcracker, it was her premier in a principal role with the Dutch National Ballet. She recently featured in Beyonce’s recent visual album Lemonade.

Elisa Badenes

Elisa Badenes was born in Valencia, Spain. She attended the Conservatorio Profesional de Danza de Valencia. At the Prix de Lausanne in 2008 she won a scholarship for the Royal Ballet School from which she graduated one year later. In the 2009/10 season Elisa Badenes joined the Stuttgart Ballet as an apprentice, in 2010/11 she was taken into the Corps de ballet. She was promoted to Principal Dancer in 2013/14.
Her repertory includes a wide range of leading and solo roles including Odette/Odile inSwan Lake (John Cranko), Giselle (Giselle after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot, Marius Petipa), Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, Tatiana in Onegin and Katharina in The Taming of the Shrew (all John Cranko), Kitri in Don Quijote (Maximiliano Guerra after Petipa), Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty (Marcia Haydée), Desdemona in Othello and Stella in A Streetcar named Desire (both by John Neumeier) and Effi in La Sylphide (Peter Schaufuss after August Bournonville). In addition, she has danced solo roles in ballets by Jerome Robbins, George Balanchine, Kenneth MacMillan, Hans van Manen, Jiří Kylian, William Forsythe, Jorma Elo and Edward Clug. Choreographers such as Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Christian Spuck, Demis Volpi, Wayne McGregor and Mauro Bigonzetti have created roles for her. 
Elisa Badenes has received several honors and prizes including the Gold medal of the Youth American Grand Prix, the Audience Choice Award of the Erik Bruhn Competition in Toronto in 2011 and the German Dance Prize Future in 2015.

Jurgita Dronina

Jurgita Dronina was born in Saratov, Russia and trained at the National M. K. Čiurlionis School of Art in Lithuania and Munich International Ballet Academy in Germany. Dronina was a Principal Dancer with Royal Swedish Ballet and Dutch National Ballet before joining The National Ballet of Canada as Principal Dancer in 2015. Dronina is also a Resident Principal Guest Artist with The Hong Kong Ballet.

Dronina has performed every leading role in the entire classical repertoire such as Nykia in La Bayadère, Princess Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, the title role in Giselle, Odette/Odile in Swan Lake, Kitri in Don Quixote, Medora in Le Corsaire, Sylvia in John Neumeier’s Sylvia and the title role in Christopher’s Wheeldon’s Cinderella. She created roles in contemporary work by choreographers such as Alexei Ratmansky, Hans Van Manen, Jean-Christophe Maillot, Benjamin Millepied, Jorma Elo, David Dawson, Sidi-Larbi Cherkaoui and many others.

Dronina’s repertoire with the National Ballet includes principal roles in The Winter’s Tale, The Nutcracker, Giselle, La Sylphide and Le Petit Prince.

As a Principal Guest Artist, Dronina has performed with Norwegian National Ballet, Dutch National Ballet, Teatro San Carlo, Opera dell Roma and The Royal Danish Ballet and has also performed in the world’s biggest stages in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai, Rome and many others.

In 2014, Dronina received the Alexandra Radius Prize and the Zwaan Award in 2011 for her role as Princess Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty. Dronina was voted Outstanding Dancer during the 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2011/12 seasons by Dance Europe for her roles as Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, Kitri in Don Quioxte, Princess Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty and Principal Female in Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux.

Dronina won the gold medal at the International Ballet Competition in Grasse in 2003, silver at the International Ballet Competition in Helsinki in 2005, silver at the International Ballet

Competition in Moscow in 2005 and silver at the International Ballet Competition in Jackson in 2006.

The changes must have gone up just after I last looked: I was trying to do some Get Into London Theatre bookings about 1 1/2 hours ago!

Sorry Khaniukova is out, but as I'd hoped, Rojo is in (and dancing with Parish, too)!  Were there any other changes apart from that?  Oh drat, Oliveira too.  That's bad luck on the ballerina side.  Let's hope no further changes.

Anyone with any experience of Dronina's Giselle?  Wondering if Rojo's links with NBC helped here.

Was Parish originally scheduled to dance with Lauretta Summerscales?  I can't remember as I bought the tickets so long ago, but that is who she is dancing with on the 19th when I am going.  Or has he replaced someone else?

Was Parish originally scheduled to dance with Lauretta Summerscales?  I can't remember as I bought the tickets so long ago, but that is who she is dancing with on the 19th when I am going.  Or has he replaced someone else?

Xander Parish was originally scheduled to dance with Laurretta Summerscales and is still doing so on the 13th and 19th.

He has also taken the place of Constantine Allen (who was originally listed to dance with Begona Cao).

• Like 2

Here is a trailer of National Ballet of Canada's Giselle featuring Jurgita Dronina. It is not from a performance but still lovely.

I have not seen her Giselle yet but saw her as Hermione in Wheeldon's The Winter's Tale and she was absolutely wonderful.

• Like 2

Goodness me! What a lot of cast changes! I suppose that three injured Giselles couldn't have been anticipated but I do wonder whether the middle ranks of the company are a bit thin / are not being sufficiently developed. Unfortunately, the company is currently plagued by injury; one of the dancers has tweeted that over 25 dancers are out.

ENB used to employ 64 full-time dancers; I don't know whether this is still the case. The company uses students from ENBS and engages some 'freelancers' for Nutcracker but I don't suppose that any of them will dance any of the 'featured' roles.

Edited by aileen

I've just had a look at the company roster.  Excluding guests and character artists there are 65 dancers listed.

I've just realised, last time around with this Giselle the standout Albrecht by a long way for me was James Forbat.  I appreciate that the company roster has had quite a few changes since then but I find it sad that he has not been given the opportunity this time.

• Like 3

I've just had a look at the company roster.  Excluding guests and character artists there are 65 dancers listed.

I've just realised, last time around with this Giselle the standout Albrecht by a long way for me was James Forbat.  I appreciate that the company roster has had quite a few changes since then but I find it sad that he has not been given the opportunity this time.

I am also sad that James Forbat has not been given any performances.  For the record, and because it is obvious now, Begona Cao is on maternity leave.  Fernanda Oliveira will be dealing with a problem from her knee operation last year but is soldiering on with Nutcracker because of everyone else's injuries/leave.  Sadly, it appears Katya Khaniukova has had a minor injury but will not be recovered enough for next week.  I will miss them all!

• Like 5

Jurgita Dronina is BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL in anything classical.

I had the privilege of watching Dronina in  the "Giselle"  stage call yesterday and I heartily concur!  Can't wait to see her performances as she is truly exquisite and is a wonderful match for Virelles.  Of course, I am looking forward to all the other debuts in this production as well!

• Like 4

Oh dear....reading all the superlatives about Dronina, looks like I too will have to stump up for another ticket...and I don't even have a credit card! Difficult month to find extra cash, but this is a rare chance to see this dancer (of whom I have never heard, I'm ashamed to admit!).

• Like 2

OK, further to the above, I have just bought two rather expensive tickets for Thursday night.  This is what happens when a)  there is a tube strike and I stay home and have lots of time to mess around on my computer;  B)  I respect and listen to the opinions of knowledgeable ballet-goers!  

I hope I like her as much as everyone else does;  I'm sure I will!! 

• Like 2

OK, further to the above, I have just bought two rather expensive tickets for Thursday night.  This is what happens when a)  there is a tube strike and I stay home and have lots of time to mess around on my computer;   B)  I respect and listen to the opinions of knowledgeable ballet-goers!  

I have a feeling you will, Sim :) 

• Like 2

Well, having initially put a sum of money aside for a decent seat for Tamara Rojo's cast of Giselle, only for her not to be cast (not to have cast herself?) in the original line-up, leading me to spend that money on several cheaper tickets instead... I've now just had to spend that money AGAIN :D

Can't complain though.  I've only been going to ballet since late 2011, so I have never had the chance to see either Rojo or Cojocaru in Giselle.  Not in a classical one anyway - I got Rojo in the Akram Khan.

And I'm now getting a funny feeling I ought to book for Dronina as well...

There are quite a few Dress Circle tickets available for some of the performances.  What is ENB's record like on offering tickets at the half price TKTS booth on the day?

OK, further to the above, I have just bought two rather expensive tickets for Thursday night.  This is what happens when a)  there is a tube strike and I stay home and have lots of time to mess around on my computer;   B)  I respect and listen to the opinions of knowledgeable ballet-goers!  

Dronina is worth every penny and is perfectly matched by Virelles! 

• Like 2