Male dancers and their hair!

I was watching some Suzanne Farrell and Peter Martin's performances recently, and it's so funny, his hair was so big and puffy that surely it must have had a dressing room all of its own, and then I was watching my favourite R and J the other night, with the divine Alessandra Ferri and Wayne Eagling, in which he has the hair of a 70's footballer, and it made me think that ballerinas through the decades look timeless, whereas the men are very much dated by their hair :D

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 3

I agree. Wayne Eagling's Romeo hair was very much in the moment but just be glad he didn't have a real 70's footballer's 'Mullet'. How differently the story could have turned out. I don't think Juliet would have been quite so keen! I certainly wouldn't find that otherwise wonderful performance nearly so affecting. ;)

I find the same thing with ballet and theatre. The men's hairdo's down the decades are instantly of their time, whether laquered, bouffanted, gelled or shaggy.

• Like 2

No, and at least it wasn't a wig.  I loathe some of the wigs that dancers used to wear, for instance, that astonishing blonde bouffant thing worn by Dowell in the original performances of Month in the Country and Manon.  Luckily most male principals these days stick to their own (though the syrup sported by one, now retired, dancer, in his last performance about 5 years ago, distracted me completely from his otherwise excellent performance).

But for my all-time worst hair day, the award has to go to the 1989 production of Prince of the Pagodas.  In the last act the men in the corps were given uniformly dreadful, reddish-bronzed wigs to go with their white and gold outfits.  They looked like they were all wearing dead guinea pigs on their heads.

if you don't believe me, take a look at the recording.  Happy nightmares!

Linda

• Like 6

Yes, but Eagling's was naturally curly, so there wasn't an awful lot he could do about it. It's not as if he had a "footballer's perm".

You're quite right about Eagling, were he dancing today he'd look exactly the same, but I can think of a couple of his contemporaries that did for a while have 'footballers perms' and I bet they came to regret it.

Tee hee hee, there's definitely all sorts going on in there! I can't quite make it out. Ponytails, sunglasses, hairbands? I worry for the ozone layer over St.Petersberg with that much hairspray about :0

Even though Wayne's hair was naturally curly, you would have no doubt from that performance of R and J that it was the early 80s; he would now be wearing it much shorter, a la Acosta.

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 1

Can't see any pictures of that, but personally I've always liked a man in a glittery hairnet....

Mmm, I find it depends what else they wear with it B)! I can't find any pictures either but there are loads of Nureyev's dos over the years, from a tidy short back and sides in his youth to the more relaxed 60s styles, the bouffant years and so on. There are also some of him not wearing even so much as a hairnet,glittery or otherwise. I was shocked and appalled :o!

Moving along, I remember the Diaghilev tribute at the ROH in 2009. One of the pieces was Tamar, danced by Irma Nioradze and Ilya Kuznetsov. It was very strange, garishly costumed and seemed to consist mostly of Ilya constantly flicking his freshly washed hair. Annoying. 

• Like 1

Oh my, I had to look for the aforementioned picture, obviously in the name of research, you understand. I too am shocked and appalled

Although I think he might have needed two glittery hairnets ;)

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 1

Yes, the search for  Nureyev pictures on Google did throw up some eye popping results.  :o

In amongst the ones without the glittery hairnet(s) there are some showing him wearing a very unflattering blonde wig.  On his head, that is.  ;)

• Like 2

Yes, Nureyev and his , ahem, ahem, ....I too was shocked that he posed for so many nude photos in his heyday! But why not? He was a beautiful specimen and, I guess, ballet dancers must be used to being nude a lot around other dancers? Well, he was 'blessed' to use Benie Mac's phrase!!

He was one of my ballet heroes but after i read his mammoth biography by Julia Kavanagh, I think, I realised that as a person he had also a very selfish, petty, and unpleasant side. I'm not even gay but I'd turn 'gay for a day' for him!!! 

I'm enjoying this thread & have to put in a special word for Vadim Muntagirov's hair. 

His hair is normally is a flowing extension of his dancing as in movement, it adds to the effect of graceful elegance in my opinion.

But that's not all. His hair can Act ! 

As Albrecht is forced to continue dancing by Myrtha in Act II & comes dangerously close to death, Vadim's hair reflects that level of sheer exhaustion & despair by breaking free of its restraining hair products & forming desperate clumps of anguish. Then angles of wretchedness as dawn breaks & Albrecht faces life without Giselle.

Kudos. 
  • Like 8