La Scala Manon - Sarah Lamb replacing Osipova

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just announced:

http://www.teatroallascala.org/en/season/2015-2016/ballett/don-chisciotte.html

GUEST ARTIST  Natalia Osipova (6, 8, 10 Mar.) Leonid Sarafanov (6, 8, 10 Mar.)  

After having verified the programming, the Ballet Management rectifies what previously announced: Svetlana Zakharova’s scheduled performances of Don Quixote will be given to Natalia Osipova who will dance with Leonid Sarafanov.

• Like 2

Just announced:

After having verified the programming, the Ballet Management rectifies what previously announced: Svetlana Zakharova’s scheduled performances of Don Quixote will be given to Natalia Osipova who will dance with Leonid Sarafanov.

My head is spinning now! Cast changes with every turn of a pirouette.

• Like 1

everyone's got the gist but leaving aside the skinning of cats and frying of fish, I've translated the important sentence below

non vuole ballare con lo scaligero Claudio Coviello. Ha proposto di sostituirlo con Sergei Polunin (che tra l'altro è il suo fidanzato), ma per il teatro si tratterebbe di pagare un'altra étoile ospite. Nulla ancora è deciso, se salterà lei o Coviello.

she does not want to dance with the Scala dancer Claudio Coviello.  She has proposed to substitute Sergei Polunin (who inter alia is her fiancé) for him, but for the theatre this would mean paying another guest star.  nothing is yet decided as to whether she or Coviello will dance

Just announced:

Does that mean that Zakharova doesn't get to dance in Don Quixote after all? 

Just announced:

How interesting

Will she be able to dance the next day in London? From the plane to the stage?

Osipova is cast in Weeldon's new work on 11 of March

http://www.roh.org.uk/events/sbp5n

• Like 1

How interesting

Will she be able to dance the next day in London? From the plane to the stage?

Osipova is cast in Weeldon's new work on 11 of March

http://www.roh.org.uk/events/sbp5n

Nice research Andy, I guess with Osipova's changing guestings and performances, I think a new calendar/organiser would make a lovely gift for Christmas :)

In terms of making the performances, the RB performance is the last of the run, so it should be pretty settled by then. Flying between performances is a factor of today's in demand ballet dancers.  I think Salenko did a hat-trick of Berlin-RB-Berlin in three nights at some point this/last season.

• Like 1

Exactly my thought as well - and not a nice trait!

To be fair to Ms Osipova, I think the title and subject of this thread gives enough evidence of 'diva behaviour' to talk about now. I think we should give Ms Osipova the benefit of the doubt regarding her future performances or diva behaviour as 'hope springs eternal'. When she returns to the stage, she may find her love, energy and dancing replaces her inner diva.

It rather reminds me of a popular advert for a peanut chocolate bar on UK television. I think that not performing or being injured brings out the worst in a dancer. Lets hope, she gets back to the Osipova audiences know and love :)

Advert is here: 

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 2

There've been a couple of reviews (positive) in the Italian press and this from Graham Spicer's blog (in English).

If only I could agree. Sarah Lamb was actually more than "fine" and did her best to give life to Manon, with success IMO. She even managed to make the pdd almost looking good.

Unfortunately the company (with the exception of Massimo Garon) was really below the standard they used to be in Manon: I've never seen the main carachters so poorly developed and such a lack of intention and meaning in the dancing. Better to avoid comparison with the Royal Ballet.

This for the first and the second act: I had to leave before the third and maybe the positive reviews are dramatically influenced by that one...

• Like 1

More than 'fine' would be difficult, as it already means 'the best' (as in fine wine)  ;) 

I heard that Claudio Coviello was technically excellent, though his acting skills need to be developed. He's a 'bit of a Bolle', so I understand. A friend said that the final act was wonderful from both dancers, and that Sarah was magnificent in the gaoler's scene. Graham/Gramilano wrote on Facebook (?) or another forum, that the company was sloppy and wondered whether the dancers were already letting their hair down now that Vaziev is going (they apparently didn't like discipline he required, though I saw Swan Lake at La Scala and the corps were excellent!) Whatever Vaziev is like, he certainly got results, as I read in the Giselle reviews when the company visited Paris. It would be a great shame if the company loses this in the change over next year.

• Like 1

I heard that Claudio Coviello was technically excellent, though his acting skills need to be developed. He's a 'bit of a Bolle', so I understand.

Well, given that Bolle seems to have developed into a pretty decent actor in between my last two viewings of him (admittedly some considerable distance apart), I doubt that's a bad thing?

• Like 1

Bolle is an impeccable dancer in almost all aspects, but in fact from the point of view of the acting perhaps I find him a little ... How can I say? Maybe not quite intense, a little too "pretty doll", hoping not to be offensive. I like also Coviello, he has definitely talent and grace, and I don't like at all "diva behaviour", but this time I agree with Osipova: with all due respect to the young Coviello, given a choice between him and Sergei Polunin, who honestly wouldn't choose Polunin? There's really no comparison, come on, I don't think we should be ballet critics to understand it, you just need a pair of eyes (even only one!). At the risk of going against my compatriots, I believe that the aforementioned article of La Repubblica was written with a hint of nationalistic pride too and for no real reason, 'cause Polunin worked as a freelance and he certainly has neither the desire nor the need to steal the spotlight from anyone!

That said, I think Sarah Lamb was a fantastic choice, I find her a very good combination of technique and interpretation

• Like 1

I thought the diva-like behaviour was considered to be a result of Osipova asking for her boyfriend to partner her in a La Scala production rather than the La Scala dancer who had been cast to do so? Surely there was no 'choice' offered between Coviello and Polunin as you suggest, Lilian88?

If I am mistaken then I apologise, but I thought she had stated that she would like to dance Manon with La Scala, but not with her scheduled partner there who is part of the La Scala company. That is not the same as being offered a choice of partner.

• Like 3

I thought the diva-like behaviour was considered to be a result of Osipova asking for her boyfriend to partner her in a La Scala production rather than the La Scala dancer who had been cast to do so? Surely there was no 'choice' offered between Coviello and Polunin as you suggest, Lilian88?

If I am mistaken then I apologise, but I thought she had stated that she would like to dance Manon with La Scala, but not with her scheduled partner there who is part of the La Scala company. That is not the same as being offered a choice of partner.

Osipova scheduled partner was Hallberg, NOT Coviello. She has already danced with Coviello and maybe she doesn't want to repeat the "experience", we don't know, even if as already said I'd agree with this decision.

• Like 3

Well, given that Bolle seems to have developed into a pretty decent actor in between my last two viewings of him (admittedly some considerable distance apart), I doubt that's a bad thing?

Since many years, every time he dances people says he has improved. It must be something like the Continental Drift :-D

The real similarity between Bolle and Coviello stops to acting skills (or lack of). Coviello is a "fine" ( ;-) ) solo dancer (I generally prefer him to Bolle) but is not a good partner, is small and with some unfortunate physical proportions. Bolle is tall, handsome and (usually) a technically secure partner.

Well, in another case, I would agree with you, but in this specific case, my point is that boyfriend or no boyfriend, prefer Polunin to Coviello, which again, is a very good dancer but young and not at same level, seems to me so understandable that I cannot fault her; she had to dance with Hallberg, another etoile, replace him with Coviello is not exactly the same thing, especially knowing that a dancer like Polunin, is available...

• Like 2

At the end of the day an artistic director has to keep his entire company happy and can not afford to be seen to be doing anything which could be interpreted as letting his guest star performer dictate the casting.A man who is about to take up the artistic directorship of the Bolshoi can not afford to engage in behaviour that could be seen as betraying weakness particularly in relation to a dancer who will be a guest artist there.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 3

Bolle is an impeccable dancer in almost all aspects, but in fact from the point of view of the acting perhaps I find him a little ... How can I say? Maybe not quite intense, a little too "pretty doll", hoping not to be offensive. I like also Coviello, he has definitely talent and grace, and I don't like at all "diva behaviour", but this time I agree with Osipova: with all due respect to the young Coviello, given a choice between him and Sergei Polunin, who honestly wouldn't choose Polunin? There's really no comparison, come on, I don't think we should be ballet critics to understand it, you just need a pair of eyes (even only one!). At the risk of going against my compatriots, I believe that the aforementioned article of La Repubblica was written with a hint of nationalistic pride too and for no real reason, 'cause Polunin worked as a freelance and he certainly has neither the desire nor the need to steal the spotlight from anyone!

That said, I think Sarah Lamb was a fantastic choice, I find her a very good combination of technique and interpretation

I enjoy very much your descriptions of the dancers and each comes along as very polite and flattering. Ballet i think is very much a matter of taste, I can appreciate Polunin's technical abilities, but I prefer my dancers to make me believe the characters in both dance, appearance, and acting. I saw Polunin in Giselle with Zakharova, where his technical dancing was nice, but at no time, am I 'taken in' by the performance of his. In this performance it seemed like a 'upside down' Giselle, where Zakharova was the nobel princess and Polunin the farmer guy.

I saw Bolle Zakharova partnership this season, and Roberto Bolle was amazing as the Nobel, learned, 'naive' and kind Des Grieux, taken in by Manon. I believe that my 'One Eye' would choose Coviello in this role rather Polunin.

Also, I saw 'Polunin replacement' Jacopo Tissi in Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty with Zakharova who was personally chosen by Zakharova as the replacement who was on his first year after school. (I remember posting complaining I wanted to see Polunin, after originally booking for Hallberg) Tissi was amazing, tall and fantastic in the role.

Also there were some very strong rumours in the theatre on that night, that Polunin refused to dance in the role as Ratmanksy's prince as there was very little dancing for the Prince (which is correct in the choreography) and that the 'neck pain' was just an excuse that was understood by the house.  I remember thinking at the time that Polunin may regret that. (This part is separate in case it does not pass House rules)

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 3

I enjoy very much your descriptions of the dancers and each comes along as very polite and flattering. Ballet i think is very much a matter of taste, I can appreciate Polunin's technical abilities, but I prefer my dancers to make me believe the characters in both dance, appearance, and acting. I saw Polunin in Giselle with Zakharova, where his technical dancing was nice, but at no time, am I 'taken in' by the performance of his. In this performance it seemed like a 'upside down' Giselle, where Zakharova was the nobel princess and Polunin the farmer guy.

I saw Bolle Zakharova partnership this season, and Roberto Bolle was amazing as the Nobel, learned, 'naive' and kind Des Grieux, taken in by Manon. I believe that my 'One Eye' would choose Coviello in this role rather Polunin.

Also, I saw 'Polunin replacement' Jacopo Tissi in Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty with Zakharova who was personally chosen by Zakharova as the replacement who was on his first year after school. (I remember posting complaining I wanted to see Polunin, after originally booking for Hallberg) Tissi was amazing, tall and fantastic in the role.

Also there were some very strong rumours in the theatre on that night, that Polunin refused to dance in the role as Ratmanksy's prince as there was very little dancing for the Prince (which is correct in the choreography) and that the 'neck pain' was just an excuse that was understood by the house.  I remember thinking at the time that Polunin may regret that. (This part is separate in case it does not pass House rules)

Thank you! Well, de gustibus non est disputandum, off course! :) :)

I find Polunin wonderful as Louis/Albrecht, I loved his interpretation so intense and genuine, free of certain dusty mannerism and in general I find acting one of the highlights of Polunin and a weakness of Coviello (or anyway not his strong point); but wanting to talk for a moment only about the technique, I think that in a ballet like Manon any ballerina would like a strong and expert partner, and in technique and experience, Polunin beats Coviello!

About Sleeping Beauty also I have heard many rumors, but concerned more La Scala than Polunin, so I don't know...

• Like 1

Thank you! Well, de gustibus non est disputandum, off course! :) :)

I find Polunin wonderful as Louis/Albrecht, I loved his interpretation so intense and genuine, free of certain dusty mannerism and in general I find acting one of the highlights of Polunin and a weakness of Coviello (or anyway not his strong point); but wanting to talk for a moment only about the technique, I think that in a ballet like Manon any ballerina would like a strong and expert partner, and in technique and experience, Polunin beats Coviello!

About Sleeping Beauty also I have heard many rumors, but concerned more La Scala than Polunin, so I don't know...

I think it would be a great charity exercise to create a Ballet Dancer Top Trumps card set as agreed by BalletcoForum :)

If you don't know the game, there is a ballet character Top Trump set by Scottish Ballet Here: http://www.scottishballet.co.uk/kids-section/trumps-game2.html

• Like 1