Royal Ballet Joiners and Leavers 2018/19

Ah! Good to see Leticia Stock isn't leaving permanently (at this point)...

I didn't realise it was possible for a dancer to continue on the Aud Jebsen programme for more than one year.  I wonder why? (Has Amelia Palmiero spent a significant portion of the 2017/18 season injured?)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Joseph Aumeer is a wonderful addition.   

Seconded!  He really impressed during his time at the RBS and I was  disappointed when he gave up his 2016/17 Aud Jebsen apprenticeship (to dance with the Paris Opera Ballet)  I was, therefore, thrilled to see his name on the list of joiners.  

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Having just said that where does it say he is joining?

Top of the item on the ROH Website:

"Today, The Royal Ballet announces leavers and joiners for the 2018/19 season. As previously announced, Cesar Corrales joins The Royal Ballet as First Soloist. Former Royal Ballet School student Joseph Aumeer also joins the Company as an Artist."

My fault I started to read the comment about Corrales and thought ...know that ...and then skipped and carried on reading further down.

RuthE will send you a PM later on ....seems I owe you an apology on another bit of forgetfulness of mine! But have  just had orders to water the plants in the garden NOW which are "all dying"( bit of an exaggeration)  whilst I'm frivolously here on the iPad!!

• Like 1

Beyond thrilled that RB has signed Joseph Aumeer :) Congratulations to him.

Interestingly, Fernando Montano is cast as the Gypsy Boy in The Two Pigeons in February.

It is actually rather a pity that the 2017/18 Aud Jebsen Young Dancers who are joining the company were included in the list of promotions. Maybe there are reasons why Amelia Palmiero is being given time  - to secure a contract elsewhere or wait until there is an RB vacancy? Unusually, there will be 8 Aud Jebsens at the start of 2018/19.

The size of the company is growing: 95, excluding Montano and Stock, plus the 8 Aud Jebsens. There will surely be more leavers as next season progresses as some names are 'going missing' from the casting.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, capybara said:

There will surely be more leavers as next season progresses as some names are 'going missing' from the casting.

As the only castings published at this stage are for the main roles, surely it would only be principals who could be noticeably missing? As I recall, no principals are totally missing for the Autumn, although one or two seem to have relatively little lined up. Are you looking more at who seems to be missing in the new year, such as for Don Q ?

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

As the only castings published at this stage are for the main roles, surely it would only be principals who could be noticeably missing? As I recall, no principals are totally missing for the Autumn, although one or two seem to have relatively little lined up. Are you looking more at who seems to be missing in the new year, such as for Don Q ?

I think that people have already mentioned that Nehemiah Kish has Bay Middleton in Mayerling then no  headline roles, that Thiago Soares is shown only for Rudolf and Winter Dreams, and Edward Watson is listed for Rudolf alone. Among the women, Hikaru Kobayashi has not been on stage this year and does not appear to be doing anything after her Marie Larische in Mayerling.

I have based this on casting fact although I do accept that some secondary roles, such as Espada in Don Quixote, are sometimes played by Principals.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, yumiko said:

I went throught the dancer list, but I can't find Joseph Aumeer.

Is his name slipped by error or him chaning the direction?

He's in the Company, for sure :) However, the online list was composed before he was announced as joining the RB and they haven't updated it yet.

• 1 month later...

Interesting that there are now so many dancers and even a (little) late joiner. By the way, they also updated Joe Aumeer and put a photo and biography of him on the page - two or three days ago it was still grey and not highlighted.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Looking at Sophie's biography, it would seem she has performed principal roles elsewhere.  It must be difficult for someone to join a new company, and find themselves back in the corps again?

Ballett Magdeburg is a really small company with something around 20 dancers and some rotating in the soloists/principals roles. So I say she hasn´t completely "forget" how to feel in a corps again.

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Looking at Sophie's biography, it would seem she has performed principal roles elsewhere.  It must be difficult for someone to join a new company, and find themselves back in the corps again?

Thiago Soares mentioned it in his interview to Dancing Times long time ago that he was dancing mail roles with the previous company, but his frist roles with RB was one of coffin beares in Mayerling.

It was a shock to him.

Since then he got promoted to Principal and casted Prince Rudolf for some seasons.

7 hours ago, yumiko said:

Thiago Soares mentioned it in his interview to Dancing Times long time ago that he was dancing mail roles with the previous company, but his frist roles with RB was one of coffin beares in Mayerling.

It was a shock to him.

I have a striking example from another part of show business. A friend got leading roles in major Hollywood films throughout her teens but had little stage experience. So she joined the RSC - and spent the first two years of her time there doing no more than putting chairs on the stage. 

• Like 2

I thought you might have been discussing a different matter when I saw this thread had been bumped :(.  Still awaiting official confirmation, but if true it would be nice to have it announced before it's too late ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alison said:

I thought you might have been discussing a different matter when I saw this thread had been bumped :(.  Still awaiting official confirmation, but if true it would be nice to have it announced before it's too late ...

What are you referring to, alison?

• 1 month later...

People who are following IG accounts of the RB dancers probably knew already about this (though not the exactly date, at least not me), but Camille Bracher will taking her final bow with the Royal Ballet tonight, confirmed by Marcelinho Sambe on his (new) bts account:

I did know about this because of her connection with another ex  Royal dancer ......so may be getting to know her quite well soon ....but can't say more as don't know if any of her future plans are in the public domain or not!  

Anyway wishing her every success with her life after the Royal Ballet.

It must be quite sad to say goodbye to many colleagues who you have also been at school with so together a long time.

45 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I did know about this because of her connection with another ex  Royal dancer ......so may be getting to know her quite well soon ....but can't say more as don't know if any of her future plans are in the public domain or not!  

Then isn't it better not to say anything at all on here in circumstances such as this?

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1