The C word... sorry! (2016)

r3dh3d

Christmas.   :lol:

Sorry to start so early, but DD has her birthday 4 days before Christmas, and then I have to buy presents on behalf of relations that have no clue what to get her, so I end up needing four or five times as many ideas as I can reasonably think of if I leave it till December.  

DD will be 11 this year.  She recently moved from a very laid-back dance school to a much keener one and is now doing 8 classes a week minimum, because she needs to catch up.  She is absolutely loving it (rather more than I am loving spending my life driving her about tbh, but I'm making a lot of progress with my crochet which is one present sorted at least).  She needs more uniform, as it's constantly in the wash, but that's hardly a present, is it?  

There are, of course, lots of "little girl" dance-related things I could buy her: gimmicky stuff - but she's not a little girl any more and she hates pink.  What can I get for her that will be genuinely useful or nice to have at this stage?  Any online shops good for this sort of thing?  

• Like 3

I've started a list as and when I think of something but haven't started to buy yet! These are a few things I've jotted down ....

Warm up clothes

Theatre tickets to watch a ballet

New dance bag

Hair accessories

Flexi stretcher

Water bottle

Voucher for great workshop or Easter course etc

Phone case

Pirouette surgery book (if released in time)

Subscription to dancing times

Hope that's of some use xx

• Like 2

There is a thread about Christmas present ideas for dancers on here somewhere, perhaps some might be able to find it and post a link.

Re online shops - try the Just Ballet website - loads of good stuff on there :)

And here is the link:  http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/2121-christmas-present-ideas-for-dancers/page-1?hl=christmas

• Like 3

Ballet dictionaries could be good presents:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/13541-ballet-dictionary/?hl=dictionary

Books and films - although this thread is in Performances Seen quite a lot will be suitable for youngsters:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/12132-ballet-books-and-ballet-films-and-documentaries/

There may be stocking filler ideas in this thread:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/13521-parcels-from-home/

Christmas.   :lol:

Sorry to start so early, but DD has her birthday 4 days before Christmas, and then I have to buy presents on behalf of relations that have no clue what to get her, so I end up needing four or five times as many ideas as I can reasonably think of if I leave it till December.  

DD will be 11 this year.  She recently moved from a very laid-back dance school to a much keener one and is now doing 8 classes a week minimum, because she needs to catch up.  She is absolutely loving it (rather more than I am loving spending my life driving her about tbh, but I'm making a lot of progress with my crochet which is one present sorted at least).  She needs more uniform, as it's constantly in the wash, but that's hardly a present, is it?  

There are, of course, lots of "little girl" dance-related things I could buy her: gimmicky stuff - but she's not a little girl any more and she hates pink.  What can I get for her that will be genuinely useful or nice to have at this stage?  Any online shops good for this sort of thing?  

How about Bloch warm up booties, very popular footwear, 

Foot stretcher, Elastic/Therabands. Balance board. Turning board. 

All in one "andy pandy" suits, comes under Warm up clothes. Actually great for putting on after lessons to come home in. 

DVD's for RAD ballet exams, very helpful teaching aid especially if you say that she is on a catchup. 

Dancekit has just been launched. Very grownup. 

A pretty non syllabus leotard. 

Just a few ideas, unfortunately except for DVD none are that cheap but make a great ideal individual present from family members. Collectively they would break most ample of budgets.  

Dance Direct, Planet Dance, Move Dancewear are all good websites and have a return policy.  Enjoy  :)

PS Tickets for the Nutcracker, if you can find a company performing in your area. Fantastic childrens' ballet and of course perfect seasonal present

Edited by balletbean

How about theatre tickets?

For clothing item ideas, have a look at what the older girls/teenagers are wearing at the dance school - those clothes will be the current 'in' thing. I second the Bloch Booties suggestion (but obviously you will have to suss out which would be the 'right' colour) ;)

• Like 3

Dd's birthday is a month after Christmas Eve,for the last 5 /6 years we have bought theatre tickets. We try and go to ROH, to help make up for having her birthday so soon after Christmas especially as most of our family seem to forget ( she finds it quite funny,thankfully)

Thankyou all - v helpful.  

Have bunged a couple of books and a DVD on my list.  

Turnboard is a good idea - currently pirouettes are just great... as long as you only go in one direction!  Is there any major difference between brands?  Ebay seem to have cheap import ones from China for literally half the cost.  

We generally go to the ballet at some point over the holidays - Matthew Bourne can usually be counted on for topless men, which is always a bonus, isn't it?

Warmups are a tricky one.  Am holding out against the booties because she has to walk several hundred yards between classes and I've got her some cheapie fuggs from Primark instead, because they have proper "outdoor" soles.  The andy pandy suits are a thought, I'll nobble one of the kids that have them and have a look what the favoured brand is.  The younger kids will be spending the winter in fleece onesies, of course.  

Re: flexi stretcher  - probably a separate thread.  Feet do NOT need stretching, lol, she's got my arches poor kid.  (Great for dance.  Can't buy boots to fit, ever.)

• Like 3

My dd has asked for a flexistretcher amongst other things. Does anyone have any experience of using these & are they worth the money.. Or maybe I should say will it be something that she will get use out of?

Definitely going to include tickets for a ballet in the New Year & a ballet dictionary is a great idea too

My dd has asked for a flexistretcher amongst other things. Does anyone have any experience of using these & are they worth the money.. Or maybe I should say will it be something that she will get use out of?

That is a very good question.  Is the difference in price between a flexistretcher and any other sort of band (elastic or fixed) worth the price?

• Like 1

That is a very good question.  Is the difference in price between a flexistretcher and any other sort of band (elastic or fixed) worth the price?

She already has the gaynor minden flexibility band which she uses mostly for splits but it's not adjustable so is trickier for her using it for arabesques though it was around 1/3 of the price!

The latest thing she has added is a practice tutu which she would get get use of but finding a pancake one that doesn't cost the earth as she is already getting a new tutu this year might be more difficult. If anyone has any recommendations of one that would fit an 11 year old that isn't a budget buster I would be really grateful

Try Just Ballet, I got my daughter a beautiful practice tutu for her birthday. It's really good quality and not too expensive.

Forgot to add she's 12 but bought a small ladies.

Thank you. I just had a look & the price is great. My only worry is that it might be too big as the waist & hip measurements for the s/m tutu are a few inches bigger than my daughters measurements. Is the fit quite neat? If it was she could maybe get away with it. It's definitely the best I have seen short of getting one made

I agree with Bloch warm up booties - my DD loves her funky paint splodge design ones whioch were an Xmas present last year. If fi=unds will stretch, what about saying she can book for a weeks Summer School course (either day/residential courses are run all over the country) as a birthday present she can look fowrad too!

One year I booked DD onto a morning ENB Romeo & Juliet workshop followed by tickets to watch the matinee at our nearest regional theatre.....we even had lunch in between at lovely theatre restaurant so it was a very special mother/Daughter day.....a cherished memory as she is now boarding at vocational school!

• Like 2

Not on the high street .com have some lovely bangles with a silver ballerina charm on . The bangle is an adult size though so they're fitting me the charm on one of their child's sizes. Less than £30 and they've been very helpful too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Operabracelets and welcome to the Forum!

I'm glad our members have been looking at your wares.  I picked up your link from an American FB friend.

In accordance with Forum acceptable use policy for members with commercial interests could I please ask you to add a signature to your profile?

"Members who have commercial interests must indicate that by adding a Signature line to their postings, stating the name and type of their business and giving their website and/or business email address for enquiries. (You set up a Signature via My Settings in the dropdown menu under your name.) If members wish to contact businesses, associate schemes or other commercial enterprises this should be done via the vendor’s website or email, not by starting threads on the forum. Sending promotional “mailshot” messages to other users is not allowed."

Hi everyone,

I have just completed some lovely nutcracker themed Xmas lucky charm boxes for dancers and very adorable gingerbread bracelets.

Lucky charm boxes available for boys and girls.

Please take a look at my Facebook page here

https://m.facebook.com/KirstenGraceJewellery/

First time posting with signature so hope ok moderators?

• Like 1