Parcels from home

Pups_mum

DD's boyfriend is going up to see her this weekend and is popping round to collect a few things she's left at home before he sets off tomorrow.

That gives me the chance to send up a parcel,but what I'm putting together looks a bit dull.

I've put in some food basics, some toiletries, a packet of multi vitamins (after reading the vitaminD thread!)and a couple of bars of chocolate.

What does everyone else put in parcels from home? (DD is 18 and in self catering accommodation.) Any ideas to make it a bit more exciting?

Is there a magazine that she would really like to have? I know my DD loves any magazine that has a 'freebie' on the front!

I've been collecting things to send by post that are very small and do not weigh much (postage costs much more if over the basic weight). So far I've been sending various sorts of tea bags - the more unusual the better - with the beetroot being the most liked so far. Sachets of different hot chocolates will be heading up there soon too.

I have noticed that I'm taking considerably longer in the supermarkets though - it takes a while to find a powdered product and check it's roughly the correct size and weight. Other shoppers probably think I have some unusual food allergy, as it looks like I'm reading through all the ingredients on the back, whereas I'm only trying to find out what the weight is!

I am also collecting any vouchers that come in magazines or in the post to be forwarded to her. We don't have many of the main high street shops here and many are unwilling to send goods to us seeing we're classed as overseas. I hope she may be able to use some of them.

So far the most successful posting has been yet more pointe shoes! How many pairs can she can get through in 3 weeks?!!

• Like 1

Hi pups_mum

They do love their parcels don't they! We have sent fluffy slipper socks, face packs, hair masks and sweets. Gone down well I think! I've started to put together the next parcel already and have got some more sweets, some hair bits and bobs and I'm thinking of woolly hats etc as I'm sure the cold will soon be arriving!

• Like 1

Well DD's boyfriend has been so my goody bag, for better or worse, is en route. Though I am feeling less than charitable towards DD just at the moment, having stepped out of the shower with my (long and very thick) hair dripping wet and remembered that she took my hair dryer with her. Normally not an issue as I usually just let my hair dry naturally. But tonight is school Prize Giving and middle child is receiving a prize so I was making an uncustomary effort to look smart. Instead, I will be mostly resembling a drowned rat - there is no way my hair will be remotely dry in the next hour! I wonder what else I have let her take that I will regret....

• Like 8

I'm sending my dd a tin opener suitable for a left-handed person this weekend as the one I bought her to take away is for right-handers (took her half an hour to open a tin after a very long day! ) I also like to send her photos or post cards with messages on and I usually

try to send her something to make her laugh. Bath bombs are a good idea tutu girl - will include one this week. If she was at her old school, she'd be coming home tonight so I think a parcel would be very much appreciated.

• Like 1

I usually send the things he classes as 'luxuries' like herbs, spices, stock cubes that he won't buy for himself. I usually fill a 'surprise' bag/box with things he can take back. This time it included three flavours of mayonnaise!!

I like to randomly send gift cards too, nothing much just things like a £5 Costa card or similar so that he can treat himself.

• Like 5

Today's parcel contained USB stick to back up work on dodgy laptop, more dance thongs, train tickets home , silly card , photo of Cumbrian cows in the rain , heart and star confetti ( drives her mad when she opens the envelope) some gummy bears & lots of love .Roll on leave out.

• Like 6

You guys put me to shame, don't do parcels nearly as often as I used to...but do find Amazon prime useful for next day free delivery on all sorts of things from shampoo when they have run out.... to urgently needed stationary...to 'lucky' ear rings to wear at appraisals....and all sorts of random stuff in between ???? what I do mostly do now, is email daily, an inspirational quote or funny picture..sometimes just what my dd's need at that exact moment in time, free of charge but often priceless ????

• Like 6

I feel very guilty now. 

My eldest just graduated after 3 years at college and I only ever sent parcels containing missing belongings left over after the holidays.

Probably because everything was cheaper where her college was than at home. Or that is what I will keep telling myself. 

Total mummy failure. Oops. 

My school report always did say: "Could try harder"  Never a truer word written!

PS  Well done to all those mums that send a tuck box. Will try harder in future.  ;)

• Like 1

I need to get shares in the PO!!

Remember when we were kids and you'd have a competition for how much you could fit in a matchbox? I'm going for how much can you fit before a large letter becomes a small parcel!!

Absolutely down to a fine art! Had to sacrifice the gummy bears in post #21 to fit in a few strepsils
  • Like 1

What a great thread! I was just shopping for my first parcel to send this afternoon, and obviously I am not the only one:-) I have the "luxury" of living overseas from dd, so I will send some of her favourite food from home plus of course chocolate. A magazine was a great idea. I think I will add dvd, as my dd is at Ballet West were internet is around stone age speed, so alternatives to Netflix is nice.

However, I think any sign of life from home is appreciated, so even the local newspaper can be a treat when living away as far as I can remember from back in the, well, stone age :-)

• Like 2

My mum used to send me a parcel when I was at University and each month it would be something different, things she knew I wouldn't buy for myself living on a budget.  Nice Shampoo and Conditioner, bubble bath, good quality chocolate, luxury hot chocolate or ground coffee beans.  It would make my day when they arrived.

• Like 2

When my dd first went away at 16 I used to send parcels containing all sorts of little luxuries - exactly the kind of things that's been talked about. I never had to worry about someone being in to receive the parcel as she was living in Homestay accomodation and the postman just left everything with the landlady or in the porch. Now she's at a different school and living in a student house - so with packed timetables no one is ever in when the postman gets there. And being older she's so much fussier about what she likes and uses! So I'm changing tack now - we're going to see her tomorrow and I've decided to be very practical. My (self-delivered) 'parcel' contains: a light proof blind for her bedroom window, a convector heater, some packs of sugar free gum (how much gum can one dancer get through?!) and cash. Oh and a packet of free-from biscuits I found in the cupboard. Hope she's not going to be too disappointed!

• Like 5