RBS Advanced Associates (new pilot project)

Yaffa

Just saw that RBS is starting a pilot Advanced Associates scheme for 16-17 year old students.

From the RBS website:

http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/training/associates/newpilotassociates/

Advanced Associates

We are excited to announce a new pilot programme – Advanced Associates – for dance students aged 16 to 17 years of age (by 31 August 2015). The programme is devised for students who aim to continue their dance training/studies at 18, with the intention of pursuing a career in dance. If you are currently in full-time training we must have written confirmation from your school that they are happy for you to attend additional training.

The pilot programme will consist of 12 sessions between October and April 2015/16, with a view to starting a full programme of classes in the new academic year 2016/17. Classes will be held on Saturday afternoons at The Royal Ballet School, Covent Garden.

Further details are on the RBS site. Applications need to be submitted by 31st July; the audition is on 2nd September.

• Like 4

I can't help wondering what market they are aiming for. Students who didn't get any offers at 16, those who didn't audition at 16 because they are staying on at school to do A-levels before vocational training, or those who will be in full-time upper school training elsewhere? Or a combination of all three? Or something I haven't thought of!

They say that if you are already in full-time training that you have to get permission from your school. What will the other vocational schools make of it? Not sure whether they will be keen or not!

• Like 2

Exactly what I wondered. The first part makes it sound as though it is aimed at people who will be auditioning at 18, so how would this include people already at Vocational school?

In the future will RBS accept pupils at 18? If so will it be to start the three year course or will it be joining the existing 3rd year?

They could do that by increasing the number of MA & SA places though, couldn't they, so why do this instead?

I'm intrigued :ph34r:

SA's only goes up to age 15, the way I interpret it is that RBS are trying to expand their age range to include older serious students x

• Like 1

Well my first thought , for what it's worth, is that this would be ideal for a dancer , like my dd who just could do with a little extra time before auditioning for Upper Schools.

She is an August birthday and anyone who knows me personally , I've always said she is more like her peers in the year below as far as ability is concerned especially after "leg-gate".

Edited by HAIRBELLES
  • Like 7

So do you think only current year 11 students can apply? Those that are starting year 12 in sept 2015. Or can the current year 12 apply as well?

anyone who is post SA and  under 18 in August can apply

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a bit of income generation, but I would hope it's more about recognising that not all children develop at the same rate, and some really want to get great A levels before committing to full time vocational training. It seems there is very little in the way of 'extras' for those of 17 and 18.

• Like 3

I don't think there is anything wrong if it generates income, as there will be an audition and so everyone will at least get a nice class for their fee, even if they don't get offered a place.

The one I dislike is the fee for summer school applications.  As only a small proportion of UK applicants are accepted (most who take part are international) it does seem rather a lot of money just to have your photos looked at! 

• Like 9

Yes, I agree PdQ. This is a good idea and hopefully more Ballet-based Associate Schemes will extend to accommodate Year 12 and 13 students who want to audition at 18. My dd is in her last few weeks after a very happy five years as a Central Associate, and had she not got a funded place at Vocational school for September I was wondering what her options to continue Associates would have been - she would have stayed at Tring CBA but that is only alternate Sundays.

Something like this would have been perfect - although highly selective no doubt, especially given the scarcity of Saturday Associates aimed at this age group. Still, as you say, the audition experience would have been a nice one in any case. :-)

• Like 2

It would be nice if the scheme was for 17/18 year olds that are not already at vocational school to give them a chance to experience these lovely teachers .....find it totally unfair if students who have already secured a place at fulltime vocational school take this precious opportunity away from dancers that haven't been so lucky yet. Only my opinion of course.

• Like 6

This opportunity has been offered to all the current SA's who are tear 11 and they do not have to audition for their places.

My daughter is going to vocational school and will not be taking her place.

I can think of a few girls who will most likely continue with the scheme though.

• Like 1

My daughter is in first year at vocational school. I honestly think that during her first term she would have been unable to undertake any further dancing . The timetable was jam packed and she found the step up from non vocational to vocational tiring both mentally and physically. On top of that she has washing and shopping to do at weekends - sometimes she even comes home :P

I think it is good to plan some down time at weekends if you can. Most vocational schools have lessons on a Saturday morning. It all looks doable on paper ,but the reality can be different ,however good the opportunity looks. 

• Like 4

It would be nice if the scheme was for 17/18 year olds that are not already at vocational school to give them a chance to experience these lovely teachers .....find it totally unfair if students who have already secured a place at fulltime vocational school take this precious opportunity away from dancers that haven't been so lucky yet. Only my opinion of course.

They must be expecting some of them to apply, and I guess that's why they say that permission will be needed. 

is anyone else idly wondering whether ENBS will start a rival associate programme once they have moved to their new premises in a few years' time?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...