Gaynor Minden Pointe Shoes

Kat09

Hi balletdancer22

It is a common problem with gaynors because of the style of the shank. We usually find either invisible or think elastic sewn either side of the back seam, in parallel AND/OR the GM heel grips do the job. I do find the pre-packed GM invisible elastic a little freeble though...not really wide enough, but maybe I'm just fussy!

Sx

Edited by Sheila Beelam
  • Like 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Sheila Beelam please could you try and post a picture to show me how to sew thick elastic on please . When I phoned the shop I bought them from they didn't suggest anything just moving the ribbons back which did not work. They said there is nothing they can do but I am annoyed as they were fitted in the shop . I appreciate your help.

I will see if the shoes in question are still here, chaperone - they may have been (whisper it) thrown out in a fit of tidying! But instead of sewing the elastics from either side of the inside back seam of the shoes just below the drawstring binding as usual, they were sewed from either side of the inside of the heel part of the shoe by (and slightly underneath as far as possible) the inner shank/sole, where DD's heel would be when worn. The elastics were then sewn next to the back inner seam of the shoes, with the final line of stitches where the elastics are usually sewn, just below the binding.

I was worried that DD would find it irritating to have the extra elastic from underneath her heels up along each side of the back seam, but she said she didn't even think about it because she was so relieved that there was the extra 'keep the shoes on the heels' security of the elastic starting from underneath the heel part of the inner shank/sole!

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone has already suggested this..... another way to help keep the heels of ballet shoes in place is to use a blast of strong hairspray direct to back of heel when wearing tights (spray holding can/bottle about 4 inch away from foot). I used to find this really helped create a temporary 'bond' between tight & shoe & kept them in place without extra sewing (or as additional reassurance after sewing on elastic)

I should add - maybe try sitting at home in tights with heels sprayed first just to check there is no adverse irritation/skin allergy to the spray before trying for a dance session!

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of gaynor Minden pointe shoes? From what I've read on the website they're supposed to last longer than other brands but I'm not sure if that's to make people buy them again??!!

Thanks

My DD wears Gaynor Mindens and she is very happy with them, but they do appear to be the "marmite" of pointe shoes - people either love them or hate them. They certainly last DD longer than any of the conventional shoes she has tried. She preferred Grishkos previously, but broke the shanks quite quickly. I think it's pretty much impossible to break the shank in GMs, but the box does eventually go a bit "soggy" and it is that which has generally necessitated a new pair for DD. They are made from totally different materials to traditional shoes, so they are longer lasting, but as with every kind of shoe, not everyone will get along with them.

DD says she wouldn't voluntarily go back to traditionally constructed shoes now as she finds the GMs much more comfortable, but says there is a different "feel" to them which may not suit everyone.

No, it isn't marketing hype, they really do last longer because the synthetic materials they are made from don't break down as quickly as those in traditional pointe shoes.  DD wore them for a while, but changed to special order Grishko's for a better fit.  However, I have a few other pupils who wear them and are perfectly happy with them.  In general I prefer "new to pointe" pupils to have traditional shoes to begin with.  As their feet may still be growing, and may change with pointework anyway, I feel the extra cost of the GM is only justifiable when you are sure you are not going to soon grow out of them!

Thanks for the replies. I might give it a try to see. At the moment I've got blochs and although they fit well and I don't have many problems I feel as if they don't have the feel i would like them to have. What's the costing for them like? I was trying to work out the cost difference ( like what price 2 pairs of current ones would cost, thinking that's how many pairs I would go through with one pair of GM's, to one pair of GM's but I couldn't work it out)

Thanks

My dd is in upper school, so doing pointe work every day. She has for years worn freed studio pros with the full hard sole and in upper school has been getting through at least one pair per week. However, she recently purchased a pair of GM's and whilst she says they have taken a little getting used to and that they feel different, they have lasted for three weeks so far and are not dead yet. I too would not have bought them whilst dd's feet still growing and if she had little experience of pointe work, given that they are a bit different and so expensive. Dd is very happy with them.

My dd wears both Freed and Gaynors, depending upon what she's doing. She prefers the stability of the flatter platform on the Freeds for Centre work and particularly pirouettes, but uses her Gaynors for barre work and some repertoire or performances. I wouldn't buy Gaynors until her feet had stopped growing though!

• Like 1

My DD loves her GMs. The one problem she had for a little while was that they started slipping off her heels but she seems to have sorted that. She got her first pair in December and they haven't died yet. She did add another pair in a narrower fit to see if it made a difference to the heel issue. She uses both.

Dd has also had first pair of Gaynors since Feb and is very happy with them. She has been en pointe for about 4 years. They look lovely and don't need darning!! They seem to be lasting extremely well.

DD has two pairs of Gaynors but she finds they are now not strong enough for her feet so has gone back to Bloch.  Her teacher has told her she can't wear them for her RAD exams though so that might be a consideration(?).

That must be her teacher's preference though. Im sure it's not in the RAD rules. My DD and several of her friend's have worn GMs for RAD exams to no apparent disadvantage.

My dd got GM with hard shank, they were ok at the barre for short sessions and we briefly thought they were going to work out but I think she found them too weak in the shank for full ballet session and stopped using them. Vamp a bit low too.

No good for mine either. vamp too low, toe box too short, wings too low.  :(

I know they can be customized but it would almost be like building a completely new style for my DD, shame as she goes through Freeds pretty quickly. Its not the shank thats the problem, its the wings. Anyone recommend any pointe shoes (other than Freed Studios Pros that DD currently wears) with as high wings as them?

We've had customised Grishkos and they haven't been successful :huh:  

DD is currently using Bloch Serenade strong shanks and they are lasting very well. Grishko Vaganovas were also hardy.

Unfortunately her one pair of Freeds, Classic Pro 90, were a disaster - she loved the 'huge-feeling' platform for extra stability, but they died very, very quickly.

I will keep an eye on this thread as her teachers always suggest that GMs will eventually be needed. 

I've just been fitted with merlet diva's at just ballet. They have now lasted me 3 and a half weeks, the longest a pointe shoe has lasted me for the past two years! Can recommend them for people who usually get through shoes quickly. Not sure what feet they will suit but they are a lovely shoe x

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Dd used to wear Blochs of varying styles over the years and tried just about every different style in the shop recently. None were met with her approval.

I will get her to try Grishko Vaganovas at some point, she did try them when a lot younger and found them too tapered but her feet have changed since then so may be worth another go.

For now she'll stick with her Freeds as with regular shellacking they are lasting longer than her Grishkos were. If they last more than 3 weeks we are happy!????

Nutcracker-x, we have several other threads on Gaynors, if you want to use the search function to have a look at them as well :)

We had 6 separate threads all discussing Gaynors! For consistency and ease of finding information, I have merged the threads into one. (Thanks alison for the suggestion!)

• Like 1