Gaynor Minden Pointe Shoes

Kat09

Just to mention that if people put in some appropriate tags (immediately below the thread heading) when they start a thread it does help make it easier to locate related posts later :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,  I am new here, so forgive me if this has already been answered.  I am an adult student at RAD Advanced Foundation level.  I need some new pointe shoes and am considering trying Gaynor Mindens for various reasons.  I know a bit about the "controversy" and am wondering if anyone knows if they are "frowned upon" by the RAD for use in the exam.  I wouldn't have thought so, but I think I read here that they weren't "allowed" at the Royal Ballet School associates programmes (?) so just wondering if anyone has heard anything unofficial from any RAD HQ teachers or examiners?  

That must be her teacher's preference though. Im sure it's not in the RAD rules. My DD and several of her friend's have worn GMs for RAD exams to no apparent disadvantage.

Not sure Loulabelle but I think Grishko Vaganovas have high wings? They also have a long vamp. 

Pas de chat, one of DD's teachers is an RAD examiner and they can wear any type of pointe shoes for RAD exams.

Hello, Second Arabesque, welcome to the forum. I had a quick read through this thread and it appears from the quoted posts that you can wear any brand of pointe shoes in RAD exams. :-)

Just to reassure you Second Arabesque, my daughter has worn GMs for intermediate, adv foundation and adv1 all at RAD HQ and it wasn't a problem. She wore them for the intensive examination preparation courses at HQ too and whilst the teachers did make some comments to students regatding shoes being too worn out or too new to wear in the exam, there were never any comments on the suitability of particular brands. A lot of the negative things people say about GMs aren't really true in my opinion anyway. They don't suit everyone of course but are a great shoe for many. As in many walks of life there are some in the ballet world who are very conservative and don't like anything that isn't strictly traditional, but don't let that stop you trying them if you want to.

• Like 2

Thanks!   Useful info...(In retrospect my Grishkos were probably too broken when I did the Intermediate exam.  They were really quite comfortable but I was 'going over' just a bit one on foot which I expect I got marked down for!).  I think I will go an try some Gaynors on at Dancia or somewhere and see what I think!