Hair accessory storage

Lemongirl

Thought this would be a good place to ask.

Can anyone recommend a good storage box for hair things?  Preferably with divided sections for hair elastics, open pins, grips and hairnets.

Fed up with hairpins around the house and want to get dd a bit organised!

• Like 1

Homebase and I believe Ryman do some good sets of mini containers with lids in a larger box that open like little draws intended for small items of stationary. I think they do plastic cases as well in homebase with their plastic storage boxes. Might want to give them a try as lids would not come off if wanted to transport.

Dd uses a big makeup bag which fits brush, gel spray and bands. Hairpins go inside it but in their own little zip bag (an RAD pencil case!) and hairnets live in the envelopes in which they are packaged. Everything fits in the makeup bag which then fits in her holdall.

My two did what Miss Spanner does with their hair things and had different patterned bags so that they didn't mix them up as they each needed different coloured nets, pins and grips. It worked very well. Our youngest still has hers for drama suctions when she has to dance.

I like the idea of a magnetic strip for storage of hairpins, my work badge is magnetic and I find a quick sweep around the inside of my handbag is a very effective way to find stray pins. Dd has separate little pots for bobbles, pins, grips, nets. They are actually pots from individual ice cream sundaes (Aldi). The advantage is you have to eat ice cream first ;-)

• Like 4

I have a small organiser box the I got in the clearance bin at tescos for 99p and it's great! It's called an organiser box from wham and has a clear plastic hinged lid and on the inside has four square sections which I use for bobby puns, hair nets, hair ties and little bows and ribbons and one larger section for grips. It's very small but can hold enough stuff to do about four or five girls hair!

I also have a small clear zip up make up bag from super drug which I put this in, along with hairspray, deodorant, tissues, plasters, a screwdriver, toe tape and anything else I need!

It's all very well having a box (or dance bag with separate sections for shoes etc but your child actually has to bother to put the stuff in the box in the first place in the correct section!!!

Can you tell I'm bitter?

I usually find all component parts of dd bun (including attached hair-yuk!) in the well beside the hand brake - it's the first thing she does when coming out of dancing! What doesn't get left there could be anywhere!! Anyone else consider taking out shares in grips and nets?!

• Like 4

Thanks all, some good ideas.  I like the Hobbycraft box Aurora and see from their website they come in different sizes.

Magnetic thing is good too although I want something portable for taking around to festivals etc.

Pictures - you have a  very good point.  I suspect I will carefully organise the box for dd and she will STILL leave hairpins and nets everywhere!

• Like 2

... or even fishing-tackle boxes, toolkits etc., which you can find in places like Homebase.  It depends on how big the various sections need to be.  As others have mentioned, hobby/craft shops ought to be a good source.

Loads of great ideas everyone - I wonder why dance manufacturers haven't spotted this gap in the market for a portable 'ballet hair' box for carrying in dance bags.

Over to you Just Ballet!!!!

Edited to add - dd uses one of those clear plastic boxes with a lid you sometimes get at the chinese takeaway.

Edited by taxi4ballet

Well apart from finding them in the well next to my handbrake ... My daughter uses a make up bag with containers inside. They are actually the nail varnish remover pads boxes as just the right size to have one for hair bands and one for hair nets.

Somehow she seems to have organised things into sets so will have a bun net tied up with hair elastic with pins and grips pinned into it. She swears that it's easier but it's not as I'm constantly taking off all the pins to get to the hair elastic and it drives me potty!

I think we may go for lunch box compartment style next as I think that's a much better idea

• Like 1

I have a fishing tackle box which my dad used to keep floats and weights in for fishing.  It has loads of different sized compartments so is great for keeping bun nets, grips and even small hair accessories.  I keep it in our performance box ( large tool box from Homebase) but still end up picking grips up from all round the house as DD just takes them out and leaves them on the nearest available surface.  Big Sigh!!!!