ROH booking 2014-15 Autumn

Does anyone else have problems booking this morning? I managed to get a couple of tickets before the site kept crashing, now the pages to book productions have stopped working and only show a header. It's starting to look like I'll have a nice quiet autumn season....

Not sure how they'll cope with public booking this year.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Booking today has been an absolute nightmare with a whole host of problems including:

- difficulty entering the site

- difficulty signing in

- only headers shown for individual events

- an announcement that the site is closed for maintenance and would we please return on 20th June

I was able to book online for only half a dozen events. The rest of my booking was done on the phone.

I was told that there was a problem with the servers. I had thought that the site's previous problems hab been fixed and that it was now pretty robust. However, this appears not to be so and bodes ill for the basic Friends and public booking.

Edited by Wulff

It was chaotic in the extreme. I have not ever had trouble booking online but have been aware of various meltdowns most years - often on Friends or General booking days. This the first time I've had trouble on Supporting Friend day. For two hours the site was chaotic - I was signed in and on a calendar page waiting but none of the links worked. I managed to get some tickets into my basket when the site 'froze'. Somehow those tickets were still there (and are now purchased!) around 45 mins later when I suddenly got back in. Along the way even when 'working' the booking window would not open more than about 1 inch square. Did anyone else experience this oddity ?? Imagine selecting seats in one square inch - one tiny slip of the mouse and I may have been up in the upper slips - felt like a Generation Game type challenge to manage to select a seat - 'angels and pin heads' perhaps).

There are far far (far) more important things in life of course but I really cant believe ROH can't just get booking days and the public facing ticketing system right.  I wonder if there will be an apology on the site (not yet) or any explanation . . . this trouble just seems interminable - year after year of really serious problems. I almost say bring back the old waiting room (almost, not quite).

I wonder if Patrons booking day will be next to go haywire ?

• Like 1

I did eventually get my booking done, but had to spend so much time getting this done that I now need to work on Sunday to catch up on the things I didn't get done today. Thanks, ROH.

Still need to check whether I ended up with double bookings and clashing dates since I ended up putting a couple of things into the basket and checking out immediately instead of zooming through all the dates I was hoping to get in one go. This of course means that they ended up with a dozen of 'individual bookings' and a bunch of £3 donations, since I didn't dare spending extra time deleting the donation after the first attempt of doing that resulted in getting stuck for 30 minutes. Bah.

Coated - you and I (and no doubt many others) were in the exact same situation  - I too have bag of work brought home for exact same reasons and I too have seen I have paid the 'suggested donation' twice - didn't mean to at all ! I also could not see the 'collect from box office' option (in my 1 square inch !!) so have had to bother them to change that rather than have tickets go astray in post.

Bah indeed. Feel very sorry for the frontline staff dealing with it all.  

That was the most stressful booking session I can recall - crazy. Don't know if the new package deals made it worse, but it really was seriously bad.  Like others, I'm not entirely sure I got what I meant to or whether they're being posted or I collect them.  Feel really sorry for unfortunate Opera House box office staff, who must have had an appalling day dealing with a string of upset and cross would-be ticket buyers.

I think daisydance is probably right about the new package booking playing a role in today's little drama, guess they changed some underlying code or tacked something onto the existing software, and kaboom - pop goes the booking day.

At least the apology sounds like a proper apology and not like one of those annoying TFL style apologies, announcing "we're sorry if this causes any inconvenience" to a platform jam packed with stranded passengers....

I'd like to add that the lady who dealt with my phone booking was extremely polite and helpful. Full marks to her for keeping her cool in a situation which must have been as frustrating for her as it was for me.

• Like 3

Friends booking opened today - it was atrocious the page would not load properly only that I was able get a seat plan off another website and then ask for 1 seat in price band "x" was I able to get what I wanted as the self seat select facility was not working for me.  I eventually (45 minutes later) got seats I liked  but it took a lot of guess work and patience.  I most certainly did not donate £3 - think that is a bit of a cheek when the booking system doesn't work properly!

How can the ROH possibly justify these experiences by Premium Friends and Friends?  How can they let this happen after previous dreadful experiences ...  especially after their promise buried within their stated apology that the matters would be corrected after the Premium Friends booking this time around?  It is not as if they haven't had a ream of major problems before is it?  I am beginning to dread the next general booking period opening on 15th July.  Talk about losing faith!!  Would that they had a reverse frustration charge .... 

Edited by Bruce Wall

Well I have to say I had no problems on my IPad this morning ......took less than 5 mins and the email came straight away.

I have had problems before trying to select a seat with nothing reacting no matter how hard/soft I touched it or the screen wouldn't stay stable etc so was dreading a bit.... but today no problems. However I didn't try until about half past one so perhaps these things happen first thing in the morning when many are trying.

Still no luck with studio rehearsals and the like they always seem to be sold out from the word go.

Am now looking forward to seeing Osipova in Month in the Country one of my favourite ballets anyway.

Having worked myself up to a state of dread over getting tickets this morning, the whole thing went very smoothly. I was able to choose seats for all the performances on my (comprehensive) list without anything disappearing out of my basket or suddenly becoming unavailable. I didn't even have to resort to 'best available' option for the performances for which I need four tickets.  I had completed my purchases  by 10.15am, the order acknowledgement came through immediately and confirmation 30 minutes later. 

Incidentally, I was so stressed that I didn't notice Osipova was dancing 'Month' until reading Lin's post. Fortunately I have purchased tickets for the correct night....I don't think I can afford any more tickets right now. It could be bread and cheese this month as it is!

• Like 2

Like Mummykool, I had been dreading this morning and couldn't believe how easy it was, my favourite seats available for everything, even Osipova/Acosta which I made my first target, too easy really as I've bought even more than scheduled and feel really guilty, but this was a huge booking period with incredible casting!

I too had no trouble - got all the seats I wanted with no problem, there were even some In Rehearsal tickets available, but not on dates I could go.  As with others, I was expecting it to be a stressful morning, really sorry for those who had problems.

@Mummykool: bread and cheese month -- indeed..!! Booked my tickets and my flights all in one morning.

Got my tickets for a few ballets in seconds almost (my perfect seats!! so relieved), great and easy experience. I remember the panic many years back of getting stuck and having to call in. I do feel annoyed on behalf of the folks who can't buy the Osipova Manon though.. because of rehearsal scheduling/orchestra positioning??

• 4 weeks later...

Well done Janet! I've just spent 40 minutes buying no tickets at all. No standing available. Some cheapish Amphitheatre seats but every time I tried to buy them I got 'Unknown Error' and that was that. Worst booking experience ever. We'll never know how much of our money the ROH has squandered on this flaky booking system.

I had no problems booking at 10am, though I shouldn't assume anything until my confirmation email arrives.

Confirmation email in 10:56. I didn't challenge the ROH system too much, just my bank balance.

Edited by Grand Tier Left

Have to say that short of the pages being very slow to load at 10.00 am (for about 10 minutes - and the fear that such arose) I actually got EVERYTHING I wanted (short of a ticket to La Scala Di Seta in the Linbury which I obviously left too late as it was all sold out).  The banner at the top saying that pages could be slow to load was indeed reassuring.  No problems with the ballet at all I have to say.  Still, I don't think I have ever bought quite so many tickets ... and spent quite so much money.  Still, to be fair, an overall positive experience.  It's now 10.52 so I was in and out well within the hour.  I've even already had one confirmation returned for one of my three orders - and, of course, the other two 'order placed' notifications ... or I would be sweating rather than typing.  (I confess that I made it three orders .... just in case the system disappeared - as it has in the past - and one lost everything in the one treasured bundle.  Once bitten and all that.)

Edited by Bruce Wall

Well, at 9.58 I was all logged in, with the Manon Insight page open and saying "Not on sale". In the time it took me to Ctrl+N to produce a new window with the same page open, so a couple of seconds, and at 9.59, it had gone on to "Sold out". I didn't believe it, and refreshed, and lo and behold, they had tickets! Ditto with the RB in rehearsal (except for the Linbury, which oddly enough I couldn't get). Work that one out.

Then, unfortunately, about 5-10 minutes in my GP rang for a consultation. Given how hard they are to get hold of, I couldn't really ask her to call back later, so in the meantime I lost any chance of decent seats for such vital things as Osipova Don Qs/Manons, Ashton bills and so on :(

The site was a bit slow, but nothing untoward from my point of view, given all the people who must have been booking for Placido Domingo et al.

I'm afraid I limited my purchases to the urgent and essentials, pretty largely. Everything else will have to wait until next month's credit-card bill: I can't deal with booking 4 1/2 months' worth in one go.

• Like 1

I couldn't get the Amphi package to work; two of the three ballets were shown as being sold out and so I lost the discount as I didn't want to wait and sort it out and risk losing the good value seats which I had reserved. Are there certain seats included in this package (ie you don't choose your own seats)?

well you may just think that the roh have indeed improved the booking experience with the 'no waiting room' website but the question I would like answered is WHY they let their 'FRIENDS' buy ALL the stalls standing tickets Before  the rest of us? - at 10:03 looking at triple bills- manon- don Q- Alice no standing places at all - there must be Some somewhere - not for us it seems.................highly disappointed...