ROH booking 2014-15 Autumn

There were signs up at the box office saying 'Mr Vasiliev will not be dancing tonight' but, as far as I can remember, no mention of Osipova! So the ROH seemed to think he was the person people most wanted to see.

I believe that those signs related to the nights when Ivan Vasiliev was not dancing Spartacus.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Osipova/Vasiliev performances at the Coliseum have not sold well so far and so that begs the question whether even 'stars' can sell out a performance of unknown or new works (unless it is at the ROH which will always attract people because it is a destination in itself). The one exception is Carlos Acosta who can sell anything anywhere. His performances at the Coliseum sold out last year even though he was competing with the Bolshoi.

Another reason for me to leave then!!

Ive decided to throw in being a friend when my membership is up for renewal in October as I never get any of the things I joined for because of this wretched hierarchy situation which I didn't realised existed for quite a while.

I'm defecting to ENB membership which I'm pretty sure will be better value for money unless you can afford to pay about £1000 a year for membership!!

• Like 2

Another reason for me to leave then!!

Ive decided to throw in being a friend when my membership is up for renewal in October as I never get any of the things I joined for because of this wretched hierarchy situation which I didn't realised existed for quite a while.

I'm defecting to ENB membership which I'm pretty sure will be better value for money unless you can afford to pay about £1000 a year for membership!!

I share your feelings on this.  And in my case salt has been added to the wound in that I've only recently renewed my Ordinary Friend membership and can't upgrade until renewal is due again.  I long for those happy days of yore when there was just one level of Friendship and we all took pot luck - now I'm so far down the pecking order that I haven't got anything to peck at!

• Like 6

From 1 September Joint Friends will be able to book a few days before standard Friends. - ROH website (Friends)

Joint Friends: presumably that would be two people living together at the same address, or something? That's single-ist.

Not that that surprises me: this whole society of ours is single-ist, as witnessed by the latest addition to the national Railcards - the "Two Together" Railcard - but it's no less disgusting for it.

• Like 3

I absolutely agree with you that this society is single-ist Alison.  How many times have I had to pay full whack for a single ticket on a 2-4-1 offer.    Out of bolshiness I now take the second ticket and hope I can give it away (not always possible in a strange town).

Fortunately for ATG card holders, the offer is half price.

Well the thing that annoys me is that it's £88 as an ordinary friend so why should joint friends .......which is £155 so that each person is paying LESS than a single friend would but are getting booking priority. It's maddening but my blood easily comes to the boil anyway at the mo regards Friends. Ive still not managed to watch a class or go to any of the Insights where they are interviewing a dancer or talking about a new ballet.

So yet another little bit of hierarchy is just too much!!!

• Like 1

Joint Friends: presumably that would be two people living together at the same address, or something? That's single-ist.

Not that that surprises me: this whole society of ours is single-ist, as witnessed by the latest addition to the national Railcards - the "Two Together" Railcard - but it's no less disgusting for it.

I can't believe the amount of theatres that won't let you book single tickets online. It's crazy.

• Like 1

It seems to depend on how the tickets are selling Aileen.  I have come across this at all sorts of theatres over the past few years.  I think the sites assume that most people want 2 tickets so if the performance is heavily sold but there are several seats in pairs left you cannot buy an individual ticket.  I have had error messages telling me that you cannot leave a ticket on its own (or words to that effect).

What theatres don't let you book single tickets online? I've never come across any.

The Almeida often puts on restrictions, and the Delfont Mackintosh theatres do at times, though with some of their theatres I am just going by what friends have told me. At a lot of theatres it is also impossible to book double or more seats if it leaves a single one spare. Think some theatres may be a missing a trick there!

What theatres don't let you book single tickets online? I've never come across any.

Sadler's Wells, if the ticket you select doesn't meet certain criteria, for one.  I can't quite remember what the situation is, but there are 3 seats on the end of each of the first 4 rows of the Second Circle which I quite like booking for certain productions.  However, if someone has already taken the 3rd seat in, or for that matter the aisle seat, I don't think the system will let you book just one of the other two - unless it's been changed fairly recently - because it will leave a stray seat all on its lonesome.

It's a bit ridiculous not to allow people to book single tickets online when you can see the available tickets while booking and there are very often only single seats available. You'd think they'd be happy to get rid of them.

As for single and joint friends, that sounds ridiculous. I can see allowing people to have a small discount for a joint or family membership but I don't see why that should give any more of an advantage in booking.

• Like 1

Yes agree it's not the actual discount I object to so much especially if it's a family membership ......and happens a lot eg National Trust RHS etc.....just allowing the priority in booking.

Re the ROH, "Joint Friends" was always a bit of a misnomer - whilst you are entitled to an extra ticket for rehearsals and events (if you're lucky - I've only managed twice in something like 12 years of membership to get tickets to an Insight evening), you still only get one membership card and one set of the quarterly magazines.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but from 1st September 2014, Joint Friends will be no more, replaced by Friends+, which is basically an enhanced Friends membership, i.e. one extra ticket for rehearsals and a few days' priority booking - but still behind all the other hierarchies of membership. 

The cost of rehearsal tickets is creeping up, too.

James

Well, they give priority to the students (due to a generous funding incentive) and they (e.g., the students) pay nowhere near as much for their Friend's subscription ...  Think we need to remember that at the end of the day it is but yet another of their marketing ploys.... and will surely come out with the rest of their fancy ROH white washes.   :)  For the sake of my health I am inclined not to take any such exercises entirely seriously any longer.  Like the people in their good offices I, too, will choose to smile and wave .... back :)   

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...