The Royal Ballet - Sleeping Beauty, Spring 2014

I am perfectly happy to watch new, inexperienced dancers getting their chance to dance these roles, providing the ticket prices reflect that fact.  These performances used to be called matinees, and tickets were priced accordingly. 

Every dancer has to make their debut in a role, and obviously I do not expect their first attempts to be the equal of those who have been performing the role for years.  However, I resent having to pay top prices for seats to watch inexperienced dancers who are performing because the first choices are either injured, or unable to do so because they are rehearsing other works. 

:getsdownoffsoapbox: 

• Like 1

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with capybara. In a long run spread over several weeks there is no reason why a principal can't dance Aurora and, say, the Lilac Fairy or one of the Prologue fairies. The Lilac Fairy must be well performed otherwise her input feels too much like filler and the ballet feels flat during the passages in which she is miming, leading the Prince to Aurora etc. I must say that the more I watch Sleeping Beauty the more I enjoy it, despite sometimes less than stellar performances. The choreography is rich in detail and endlessly varied and inventive, as is the music. However, it is unforgiving of any weakness.

• Like 1

There is hope: I saw Lauren Cuthbertson struggle pitifully through the Lilac Fairy in an early attempt, but within a few years she was triumphing in the hardest roles, e.g. Ballo della Regina.

I must say it surprises me that when you have a principal with the stage presence and natural authority of Zenaida Yanowsky, season after season goes by when she doesn't appear as either Lilac Fairy or Carabosse. If they aren't ever going to cast her as Aurora (which, given her height and maturity, is understandable), it's sad that they can't even cast her in one of the other main roles in their signature ballet once in a while. If ENB can give the Lilac Fairy role to Daria Klimentova, surely RB can give it to a principal every so often.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 2

I must say it surprises me that when you have a principal with the stage presence and natural authority of Zenaida Yanowsky, season after season goes by when she doesn't appear as either Lilac Fairy or Carabosse. If they aren't ever going to cast her as Aurora (which, given her height and maturity, is understandable), it's sad that they can't even cast her in one of the other main roles in their signature ballet once in a while. If ENB can give the Lilac Fairy role to Daria Klimentova, surely RB can give it to a principal every so often.

It is also possible that a Principal prefers/requests not to dance a particular role. 

Yes, I gather that was the case with Tamara Rojo and the Sugar Plum Fairy. It's just (and I hope I'm not going off topic here) that a couple of interviews with Ms Yanowsky suggest that she felt she'd been sidelined a bit, which suggests to me that she wouldn't be refusing roles like the Lilac Fairy. But I know that's just supposition.

Is anyone able to advise who the Lilac Fairies have been for this run? I guess Claire Calvert still isn 't stage fit but so far have the others only been  Melissa Hamilton, Tierney Heap and Laura McCulloch? I'd have thought Itziar Mendizabal would have been obvious casting, but I thought she would have been obvious for Myrtha too and that didn't seem to happen..

I was immensely impressed by the  excellent performance of Sleeping Beauty  for the live screening. We had to wait for the credits to get the full cast.But otherwise what fantastic value for money.

Mc Rae and Lamb superb --his solos I thought, as at their first perfomance just beyond praise-and Blue Birds also superb. Lilac fairy, again- had presence and gesture, acted it well-( close up it was better) but maybe not quite the technique for that scary solo.

I now agree with earlier posters who express reservations about this staging of  the garland dance as being muddled and   unaesthetic- seen close up, it seemed that way to me ( maybe partly the costumes). Otherwise- a visual treat.

The first interval feature about Lamb and McRae rehearsing was informative and enjoyable. The second interval interview with Bussell and  O'Hare was less good- it seemed as if they had really not prepared what to say, and started waffling on in a slightly desperate way about Little Red Riding Hood being amazing when most of  us tend to think it is anything but..:-)

But all in all a really  wonderful evening.

• Like 2

I agree with your assessment of the live screening Mary - I recall I wasn't too impressed with Darcey's interview in the Giselle screening either. The close up shots made me appreciate the quality of Elizabeth McGorian's portrayal of Carabosse- sexy and scary - compelling to watch. Previous posts on the Sleeping Beauty thread have noted the technical mastery of Lamb & McRae in the grand pas de deux, and it was clearly evident in this performance, perhaps again more so because of the scrutiny which a close up delivers those fish dives looked ridiculously easy!

• Like 1

I should have mentioned Carabosse-yes- a very effective portrayal- wasn't it McNally though? I didn't quite manage to see/remember all the screen credits at the end.

The knowledge that they are being filmed close up and beamed round the world must make it all so much more nerve- racking for the dancers, so all credit to them for giving such strong peformances; as you say especially McRae/ Lamb, the grand  pas de deux was faultless and also moving.

Indeed it was McNally and what a wonderful Carabosse she was! Elizabeth McGorian was the Queen IIRC.

Having seen the McRae-Lamb duo dance the Grand PDD at Mara Galeazzi's Verona gala I was thrilled to be able to see them dance the whole ballet. No goosebumps but a feeling of pure unmitigated joy which lasted for a good bit after the show was over.

• Like 2

I should have mentioned Carabosse-yes- a very effective portrayal- wasn't it McNally though? I didn't quite manage to see/remember all the screen credits at the end.

Sorry yes, silly me.

I wonder if someone would be able to post a list of the prologue fairies/ Florestan & sisters - I briefly took in the credits, but several were names I am unfamiliar with.

I too would be grateful for a full cast list, and I particularly want to know who danced the prologue fairies.  It's my favourite part of the whole ballet and last night I thought the 'finger' solo was outstandingly danced.  No cast lists were available last night at the Vue in Shepherds Bush and a member of staff came into the cinema during the showing to explain  to me that they were unable to 'print out' any copies, which suggest that the cast list is simply emailed to the cinemas involved and are then photocopied and handed out - a good idea when it works; it just didn't last night!  Incidentally, there were no more than about ten in the audience last night - I guess Shepherd's Bush is no hotspot for ballet!

Congratulations to all concerned - the show was simply magical last night.  -  We're so lucky to have this new development in our favourits art form!

Sorry yes, silly me.

I wonder if someone would be able to post a list of the prologue fairies/ Florestan & sisters - I briefly took in the credits, but several were names I am unfamiliar with.

Fairy of the Crystal Fountain              Yuhui Choe

Fairy of the Enchanted Garden          Beatriz Stix-Brunell

Fairy of the Woodland Glade             Hikaru Kobayashi

Fairy of the Song Bird                        Francesca Hayward

Fairy of the Golden Vine                    Elizabeth Harrod

Floristan and his sisters                     James Hay, Elizabeth Harrod, Beatriz Stix-Brunell

Puss-in-Boots and the White Cat       Paul Kay, Elsa Goddard

Princess Florine and the Bluebird      Yuhui Choe, Valentino Zucchetti

Red Riding Hood and the Wolf           Leanne Cope Eric Underwood

Edited to add that the principal roles are above in post #93

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

Thank you Bluebird. Ann, there were partial cast lists where I was - I guess the injuries we have been reading about in other posts meant the final casting of fairies went pretty much down to the line. Interesting about numbers in the cinema - I would say it was about 3/4 full, whereas it was packed for Giselle. ( I'm starting to recognise some of the same faces, sadly not much of a younger audience - by that I mean under 30). It will be interesting to see the numbers for The Winter's Tale. Incidentally, I thought the preview rehearsal and interview of this made it look an extremely enticing prospect.

Thank you,  Bluebird.   Then  the 'finger' variation was danced by either Elizabeth Harrod or Beatrix S-B, and I'm guessing the latter, though she did seem a little tall from my recollection of her in other performances.  Can anyone confirm?  (I suppose its about time I learned to identify these roles - the 'songbird' is the only one clearly identifiable from the movements). 

Watched "Sleeping Beauty" yesterday at cinema.

Really disappointed about Lilac Fairy. Ignoring the Solo that was not elegant, safe and precise I found Laura McCulloch no reassuring and warm as fairy. Bulky as presence.

Steven McRae is a real prince. I loved his performance. He has a wonderful technique and a prince charming. His jumps, his lines, his technical skill are a joy for the eyes.

Sarah Lamb is really nice as Aurora in the first and third act. But I didn't like her in the second act. Not so convincing and lyric. She was wimpy, dull, without any kind of pathos.

Lovely Yuhui Choe and Valentino Zucchetti as Princess Florine and Blue Bird. 

Waiting for see Nela and Thiago performance. Can't wait!!  

Edited by eliamato

Thank you Bluebird. Ann, there were partial cast lists where I was - I guess the injuries we have been reading about in other posts meant the final casting of fairies went pretty much down to the line. Interesting about numbers in the cinema - I would say it was about 3/4 full, whereas it was packed for Giselle. ( I'm starting to recognise some of the same faces, sadly not much of a younger audience - by that I mean under 30). It will be interesting to see the numbers for The Winter's Tale. Incidentally, I thought the preview rehearsal and interview of this made it look an extremely enticing prospect.

According to Twitter feeds the final casting of Fairies was only decided last minute, and one dancer who was cast to dance the "Woodland Glade Fairy" last night had to take over the role of an injured dancer and this resulted in her not dancing the "Woodland Glade Fairy" during the cinema broadcast.   

Now I'm  confused (ok, not unusual) - could someone confirm who actually danced the finger-pointing fairy last night, and is the finger-pointing fairy actually called 'the fairy of the Woodland Glade'?  (I suppose you could rationalise her title by assuming  she was pointing at the trees...)

Now I'm  confused (ok, not unusual) - could someone confirm who actually danced the finger-pointing fairy last night, and is the finger-pointing fairy actually called 'the fairy of the Woodland Glade'?  (I suppose you could rationalise her title by assuming  she was pointing at the trees...)

"Finger pointing" is Golden Vine (the longest of the fairy variations if you exclude Lilac) and it was Elizabeth Harrod last night.

According to Twitter feeds the final casting of Fairies was only decided last minute, and one dancer who was cast to dance the "Woodland Glade Fairy" last night had to take over the role of an injured dancer and this resulted in her not dancing the "Woodland Glade Fairy" during the cinema broadcast.   

It wasn't "last minute" - there was a change slip for Woodland Glade in the house and other fairies were as cast.

Thanks for this clarification, BBB.  Well, Ms Harrod has got a new fan here - she was quite superb last night. To be fair, though, I've always thought that this particular solo has got by far the most interesting (and fun) choreography of all the prologue fairies and - provided the dancer is up to it - it must be a joy to dance.