I had similar feelings to you, chrischris. I thought that Beatrix S-B was lovely but wasn't as convinced by Laura M in her role. Emeralds did drag a bit. Yuhui Choe was great in Rubies but, for me, Melissa H needed a bit more pizzazz in her role. Diamonds was my favourite and the audience's, and you could really see elements of ballets such as Swan Lake in the choreography. I was surprised to see so many children at the performance this afternoon. I would have thought that it would be hard going for them; it was hard going for me at times! I'll be interested to see what another cast does with this ballet. I have seen it once before, a couple of years ago, with a supposedly stellar cast, and I wasn't greatly taken with it then and so I am wondering whether this is a ballet which is not going to grow on me.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chrischris, if Jewels is really the only Balanchine you've ever seen, or nearly, I wouldn't write off his entire output on that basis, any more than I would with any other choreographer.  It's not one of my favourites of his, either.  But some ballets can be more of a "slow burn": it's taken me years to get to like Mayerling, for example, as I've said on here before.  Some strike you instantly, others don't: and sometimes it can indeed be down to casting.

Incidentally, the more I see of Emeralds in this run, the more I want to play "mix and match" with the casting.  Not only would I like to see Pajdak and Hinkis swap solos, but I think that Stix-Brunell and Watson might complement each other more physically (and temperamentally?), and for that matter Marquez and Hristov. 

I've seen Apollo and Symphony in C as well and i've found all three quite boring. I wouldn't write him off but it does make me wonder whether he is a choreographer I just can't get in to.

Aileen, I was also surprised at how many children there were, and also how well behaved they were. Even I was struggling not to fidget at times. Also agree that Diamonds was the audience favorite. You could feel such a lift in the auditorium as soon as it started with the corps on stage, and they got the loudest cheer at the end.

Balanchine is almost uniformly brilliant. There are very few of his ballets I've not liked - many are amongst my very faves.

As for Jewels in particular - Emeralds is one piece that I continue to get more out of every time I see it; Ms Stix-Brunell was particularly fine - though I disagree with some of the above, I thought Ms Morera was goose-bump inducingly good. Rubies is a bit of a wow-bobby-dazzler-seen it now, one trick pony (though Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae add fresh pizzaz to it - and I do look forward to seeing Natalia Osipova rip the stage up with it) type of ballet. Diamonds has 3 great movements, but the 4th feels a bit long winded (the parade reminding me of the worst dragging-on bits of Sleeping Beauty) - but, wow, for the 1st 3 movements! The thing with Balanchine as a whole, is the way the dance just IS the music - once seen, its almost difficult to imagine it ever being danced another way (see Serenade for example). Persist with Balanchine, any doubting readers, even a minimum of effort brings huge rewards

• Like 5

I've seen Apollo and Symphony in C as well and i've found all three quite boring. I wouldn't write him off but it does make me wonder whether he is a choreographer I just can't get in to.

If you found Symphony in C boring, there really is no hope for you - you need to sell any future performance tickets you hold, as ballet obviously isn't for you. Apollo takes a little getting in to I'll admit - but almost every step is an iconic 'ballet moment' (indeed, one of Darcey Bussel's most iconic images is from that ballet)

Dave, what's got into you?! You seem to be getting very judgmental and dogmatic! Let chrischris have his own views and tastes! I didn't like Apollo when I first saw it but it's grown on me and I love it now (and you do need to have the right dancers for it - I thought that both Apollos - the men that is - lacked something on the RB's recent outing). I suspect that chrischris prefers narrative ballets and there's nothing wrong with that; many people do.

• Like 1

I do prefer narrative ballets, though I have also loved all of the Macmillan non-narrative work I have seen, and Mcgregor too. I have also enjoyed Ashton, though I do find some of it quite twee, and not dissimilar to Balanchine in some ways. I saw Bonelli in Apollo, a dancer I like, and was impressed by him, but people in the know told me I should have seen Acosta in it, so maybe I need to see the right casts.

I haven't seen Apollo for a number of years now but at the risk of old fogeyism will say was lucky enough to see Nureyev in this role and it certainly suited him and I remember liking the ballet then.......but admittedly I did like just about everything I saw in those days but am more fussy now. I can't say I would rush out for Symphony in C again even though I enjoyed the performance I did see recently but won't mind if its another couple of years before I see again. I'd certainly like to see Apollo if Acosta was in the role. Has Stephen Mc'rae danced this role?

chrischris, it's annoying when people tell you that you should have seen another cast when you've paid out good money to see the performance which you have actually seen. For what it's worth (probably not much!) I preferred the Bonelli cast - not him particularly but the muses who seemed fresher.

• Like 1

Thanks for that info. I have a feeling Mcrae might be good in this role but no doubt there is good reason for the casting this time round.....don't know why I missed it if Acosta was dancing.

There are always some works one doesn't like that much by most choreographers.

Ive decided Ive got to re acquaint myself with Mayerling......again haven't seen for a number of years as I didn't like it originally and I saw all the original casts in the roles etc. But now it's so long it will be like seeing a new ballet and maybe I will like it this time around!

It has been reading the reviews of it on this forum that has made me reconsider this ballet.

Sorry a bit off topic but I do think one changes.....nothing is fixed in stone.....and over some years you can change in what you like/dislike but you can only go by what you feel at the time because its true for you at the time.

I'll get back about this when I can remember the name of the ballet saw Mcrae in 18months to two years ago when he was really amazing as this other worldly figure......just gave me the idea of him in Apollo......however if he's never yet been cast in this role people who know better than me probably have good reason etc.

Yes Aileen I believe you are right. Have been looking at some photos and it looks like the costume he was wearing.

I thought he was brilliant in that role but that played to his mercurial lightness. Anyway am getting way off topic and can only add haven't seen Jewels this time round but would love to have seen McRae in that!

Aileen, I can't see McRae as Apollo either. He just seems too slight in stature to be thought of as a 'god' and his fair colouring doesn't help - I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong though!  Apollo is an incredibly important ballet to me.  I saw it fairly early on in my ballet-going career and it was the first time I  realised that ballet was a serious art form and that choreographers could be geniuses too. That realisation was almost like a shock to me and changed the way I looked at ballet forever. 

So chrischris, be a little patient with Balanchine and I'm sure you'll be richly rewarded!

• Like 2

Chrischris, I am with you on this.  Whenever I have seen anything by Balanchine, I have found much to admire, and even many bits to enjoy, but on the whole, I find him overrated.

Now, I am perfectly prepared to admit that it may be that I need to see the Americans perform his works.  The "English" style tends to soften all the steps, and perhaps you need to be trained in the Balanchine style right from the start.  However, for me, there seems to be a coldness, an aloof detachment at the heart of all his works that I fail to connect with.

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

An enchanting performance of RUBIES this afternoon.  Osipova made her 'official' RB premiere as the female firebrand and flame and fester in her concerted throng she did.  While not yet reaching the overall heights, say, of Ansanelli in the RB's RUBY reservoir of happiest Balanchine moments, (she will I promise, dear reader, SHE WILL) she made here - even on this early outing - those inverted fouettes burn as a heliograph on speed and I (for just one) simply adored her addition of a very personal take on 'the twist' in the second principal female variation.  Here the pas de deux rightfully celebrated the original meaning of the word drama ('competition' and/or 'conflict') with more than just a shift of lemon zest.  McRae ballooned into his own stratosphere of red hot ignition being - as ever - more than just on his count - (indeed often in front of it as Balanchine desired) - and embellishing each and every aspect with an ebullient bounce.  A total delight.  Hamilton, as the soloist showgirl, delighted in the infectiousness of her glitzy rudeness whilst blessedly restoring the three entrechats that Yanowsky had chosen - oh, so politely - to round out.  Hamilton's devil was in her detail and scintillate in its twinkle she did.  BEST OF ALL:  T'was SO thrilling to hear this capacity Monday matinee audience EXPLODE in delight at the happy receipt of this balletic masterwork.  Nela followed and certainly OWNED all DIAMONDS this afternoon.  She radiantly employed her secret weapon - i.e., THAT SMILE - with skilled erudition.  It flares brighter than ANY sun could on a rainy day.  As the song might have it:  'Who could ask for anything more?'  Not I (for just one .... and you could hear from the overwhelming response during those two font of curtain calls that there were a vast many there assembled in jubilant agreement.).   

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 5

Oh Meunier, how can I come close to the beautiful prose you express your review above in? Wonderful words indeed.

I'm going to say it my simple way: Jewels this afternoon was a total joy for me. Dazzling, shiny and glorious. I won't even pick anyone out - this felt like a company statement of wow, we rock.

Just fabulous,

• Like 4

First of all - a huge thanks to Nottsballetlover for mentioning that 2 tickets on the front row had appeared on line.  It was a pleasure sitting next to you Nicola!

I'd only ever seen Rubies before so was keen to see the whole ballet and booked for a performance I could get to rather than a specific cast.

I loved the whole performance from start to finish.  I thought Emeralds was sublimely serene and it was a lovely surprise and treat to see Alex Campbell on the cast sheet for the pdt!  I was swept away by the whole performance.

Rubies exploded like Vesuvius on speed and was just fantastic!

Diamonds was utter joy on stage.

Like Nicola, I felt that this performance was a fantastic showcase for the whole company.  The whole company looked absolutely stellar this afternoon!

• Like 4

As expected, Natalia Osipova and Steven McRae dazzled in Rubies this afternoon. I think that they feed off one other and each competes to be the most bravura. One of their pdds was pretty raunchy; I've not noticed that before. They make an exciting partnership (the next run of DQ springs to mind) but she's a little tall for him. There's no doubt that she's great in pieces like this and in bravura ballets such as DQ but I'm yet to be convinced that she can excel in the classical ballets (I didn't like her in Swan Lake or Nutcracker).

I liked Roberta Marquez in Emeralds (beautifully soft and lyrical) but the partnership with Edward Watson didn't really work for me.

Marienela Nunez was excellent as always (has she ever given a bad performance?) and Thiago Soares performed his solos well although he was a little underpowered, which I also noticed in DQ.

The audience was very appreciative this afternoon, which is not always the case at the ROH, particularly at matinee performances. A couple of people sitting near me gasped out loud and exclaimed their approval at several points in Rubies and Diamonds.

One other thing: the costumes in Rubies are very rattly and it was a bit distracting today.

As expected, Natalia Osipova and Steven McRae dazzled in Rubies this afternoon. I think that they feed off one other and each competes to be the most bravura. One of their pdds was pretty raunchy; I've not noticed that before.

No, nor have I.  Not sure Mr. B. intended it that way?

I liked Roberta Marquez in Emeralds (beautifully soft and lyrical) but the partnership with Edward Watson didn't really work for me.

As I said earlier, I think I'd rather see her with Hristov and him with Stix-Brunell - partly due to differences in physique.  I noticed yesterday that he actually had to bend sideways on a few occasions to be able to get his arm round her waist properly, and I don't think that helps.  It seemed to me that she'd toned down the flirtatiousness a bit (I prefer more of a sense of mystery) since the first night, although that may simply be because I was sitting close to the stage then and up in the amphi yesterday.

One other thing: the costumes in Rubies are very rattly and it was a bit distracting today.

I think it was said when the RB first put Jewels on that that was intentional.  Can anyone else confirm?

We are having a bit of a disagreement at home after yesterday's rather wonderful Jewels : does the Balanchine Trust allow for variations of costumes, scenery etc? It seemed to one of us that the whole effect was less glittery than the Bolshoi's production and that it was somehow toned down .... I on the other hand have it in my mind that theses Balanchine dances have to be the same wherever the are danced. Can anyone elucidate?

And yes, the Rubies were a bit rattly. Not enough to distract me though! 

Finally, where would we be without Trzensimiech? Great contributions in all three of the parts yesterday. What a trouper!

The Trust does indeed allow for some variations in design, but seems more lenient with some companies than others, I get the impression.  But I do wish they'd insist on an outdoors-y setting for Emeralds: anything else to my mind completely contradicts the mood of the piece.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to see both performances yesterday.  To my mind though my favourite Emeralds was that of 21 Dec and the same casting last night...Dawid Trzensimiech is indeed a trouper doing all 3 acts last night and appearing in the matinee too!  Since seeing him in one of the Intro to Ballet days(what's happened to them not been one for a few years now!) I have a soft spot for him and follow his progress with interest.  Beatrix Stix Brunell was just lovely in Emeralds as I have said before, but Roberta Marquez was good too.  Osipova was very athletic in Rubies(mat)  and compared to Yuhi Choe (eve) she certainly extends her legs a lot further.  MacRae was still a whirling dervish!  Melissa Hamilton was the tall girl in Rubies (mat) and then later in one of the Diamonds she took a bit of a tumble - slippy floor - thankfully she recovered well and carried on regardless.   The main role in Diamonds though was beautifully executed by Marianela and I think she was even better in the evening...the audience last night nearly brought the house down compared to the matinee! I had hoped to see Cuthbertson/Pennefather but they were replace by Marianela and Thiago so that was a pity but M&T more than  made up for it. 

Ignoring the main part dancers though, I found myself watching the corps de ballet more and more during my 2nd and 3rd viewings and I do think being high up affords you the pleasure of seeing just how complex Balanchine's choreography is.  The corps really have a lot on their plate and they deserve top marks for their work.  It was lovely to see the patterns and lines and how they work the interplay between the lines, then as if that is not enough they then work those "ribbons of linked arms" running in and out under/over sort of thing that Balanchine favours.  Very lovely when done properly and I think they certainly pulled it off.... bravo to the corps de ballet I say!!

On the Jewels Insight Day that was run when the complete version of Jewels first entered the rep in 2007 they said that the Balanchine trust was very particular about the colours of cloth used for costumes and the beads -every minute detail in fact.  We were shown 2 pieces of oyster cloth for the Diamonds costumes one approved, one not - I could not tell the difference!!!   The costume dept had quite a job getting everything "just so".  I believe that when  Paris Opera Ballet had their costumes designed by Christian Lacroix they got rapped over the knuckles by the BT but now the Bolshoi have non Karinska costumes so I am not sure what is going on.  I agree the Bolshoi ones did sparkle more but they were bright white not oyster.  I do not think the set is quite so subject to scrutiny.  The Mariinsky have Karinska's designs I think.  Personally I like the click clack of the Rubies costumes and I think that on the Insight Day they said it was intentional. That was a fabulous day and I still remember it fondly...it was a privilege to see the RB dancers being coached by Elyse Borne, Maria Cagliari and Pat Neary..what a star she is...she came out to coach Alexandra Ansanelli and Ricardo Cervera for Rubies in her ballet gear including pointes next thing she is telling us she was 65 with a hip replacement then she was dancing en pointe for us what a treat!!!  The day was filmed for the RB archive how I wish we could see it again, I learned so much.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 5

Interesting, though: I think when the RB did "Rubies" on its own as "Capriccio" in 1989 (I didn't go: I just saw photos), I thought Darcey Bussell's costume was actually much closer to red and had stripes of gold braid running down it (and I don't think there was a skirt).  Am I imagining it (the book's currently in storage), or can someone confirm?