ROH booking - period 2 13/14

I found out this morning that you can have a seat in the basket and it still shows on the seating plan as available, I suppose it stays until paid for.

Presumably that's why we kept getting the "submission error" message on seats that were supposedly available.  If they really do continue to show as available when they're in someone's basket until paid for, that would mean we could be navigating backwards and forwards for up to half an hour without success.  That can't be right, surely?  If only the system would work properly each time. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually miss the waiting room, I always managed to get everything I wanted then.

If you could manoeuvre yourself to the top of the queue at 10 o'clock and if the system didn't throw you out then I think the chances of getting the tickets you wanted were a lot higher. The present booking system handles large numbers of people too well!

Yes I had a frustrating morning trying for Osipova/Carlos tickets on Saturday the 18th. There weren't that many tickets to start with; perhaps about 50 in the amphi and you could see them vanishing before your eyes. I logged on and got the seating plan up before 10am so was ready to go but everything I clicked on was 'unavailable' as someone had selected them before me. I think this was a particular problem with the Saturday performance. there were more tickets for Acosta/Osipova on the Monday but that's no good to me as I live 200 miles away and work on Mondays. After about 20 minutes of this when availability had gone down to about 10 I clicked on a random seat and got it! I then realised I only had 10 minutes left so quickly went back and did another random click and got what seemed to be one of the last ones. Didn't dare to choose any more so had to log out after paying and log in again to choose tickets for Steven's Giselle the matinee of that day. More tickets available but not the areas I usually book so had to settle for poorer tickets than I would have liked. Couldn't access my home email at work so when I got home and checked I had confirmation of one order but not the other so emailed box office and will have to keep fingers crossed it's ok. An exhausting and rather frustrating experience compounded by being at work and feeling guilty of spending so much time booking tickets even though I sacrificed my lunch to pay back the time! Why can't public booking open on a Saturday when more people will be at home?

• Like 3

Ive been lucky getting Osipova/Acosta R and J tickets(at a cost) this time (7th Dec) this time though via the friends booking.

Ive also experienced " try for a lower number" when I'm booking just one which of course means zero tickets....very strange.

I think it would be a good idea to have the booking dates on Saturdays!!

• Like 1

Oops =- sorry for incoherent posting above by me (I can't edit it!!). Just really frustrated by lack of suitable tickets to not just what I'd like to see, but what in fact is logistically possible for me when you travel from out of London. I'd really like to see Jewels, there are not that many performances of it and they are all very close to Christmas when I can't totally ditch family for ballet!!! (well I could, but my family already have to be very understanding of my balletomania!........) 

Yes, I need to count my lucky stars I have wonderful seat for R&J Acosta/Osipova on 7 Dec plus 2 other R&Js in what is my utterly favourite ballet.

I vow not to moan any more, count my blessings, so lucky to see anything RB really, so can't expect everything to go my way, ticket wise. 

I do agree that general booking would be better to open on a weekend to make it fairer.

• Like 1

I understand your frustrations Nicola. I'm not an RB regular but I was extremely tense a couple of months ago when I wanted a ticket for a specific performance.

I will now do my usual advert for other companies! NB go to Nottingham, Birmingham is do-able from Nottingham and ENB's wonderful Corsaire is in Manchester in February!

• Like 2

Presumably that's why we kept getting the "submission error" message on seats that were supposedly available.  If they really do continue to show as available when they're in someone's basket until paid for, that would mean we could be navigating backwards and forwards for up to half an hour without success.  That can't be right, surely?  If only the system would work properly each time. 

Yes, it's ridiculous.  You waste so much time that way, trying to book tickets that "aren't there", whereas if you knew they weren't there you'd grab something else instead.  I was lucky with Acosta last time around, but clearly not this time.

Am I being blind but I can't see a seating plan for the Clore:

http://www.roh.org.uk/visit/tickets#seating-plan

I have seen a seating plan before so I know it exists but can't find the source.  Does anyone know please?

When the seating plan was on the ROH website I downloaded it to my computer where I have it as a Gif File.  I've tried (and failed) to find a way to attach the file to this post.  Does anyone know if this is possible?

Yes, it's ridiculous.  You waste so much time that way, trying to book tickets that "aren't there", whereas if you knew they weren't there you'd grab something else instead.  I was lucky with Acosta last time around, but clearly not this time.

I've just booked another ticket and when it was in the basket, I went back to the seating plan and the seat WAS unavailable, so presumably the problem only occurs in overload situations like yesterday, in a way the success of this new system in letting everyone in at once has created another problem, getting tickets for Natalia Osipova will be frantic!

Much as I appreciate the 'Osipova' effect.......so desperately annoyed that decent tickets for certain performances are just not there. On friends booking I tried - no good.

No good. Doomed. No good. No Royal Ballet tickets.So sad. Give up.  

sorry to hear u had problems with getting tickets

Just to follow up - I've just booked a couple of tickets for Giselle and got a confirmation email.  However when I went back to check something the seats were still showing as available.  I rang the box office to confirm and I've definitely got the tickets - but the seats are still "available".  Can't believe this a particularly busy time ...

Ridiculous situation: suddenly quite a few Stalls Circle standing tickets have appeared for Giselle and Jewels. What is the box office's policy about releasing ticket this late after the start of public booking? Why were they not available earlier? Does anyone understand?

Good heavens - I don't think I've ever seen such a plethora of SCS tickets before!  How annoying that I've forked out for semi-posh seats for some of the Giselles.  This is really too bad.  I don't think we'll ever be able to fathom the system!

I've had another weird experience this afternoon but third time round have just got a R and J ticket, in fact what I like to think of as "my seat" the same one I could have bought at the Friends booking!  First around 2pm it was available, then wasn't etc, kept trying and gave up, tried again at 3pm, same thing, tried many times as it was always showing as available, just tried again, managed to buy it, can't fathom what's going on either!

There are lots of seats on sale this afternoon, I've been trying for H and G, didn't buy one but it was available (really available) and I can't imagine they are all returns.

I posted this on another thread: there were more Osipova/Acosta Giselle tickets the second time I looked today (about an hour later) The same two tickets in Row G of the Amphitheatre were available at all three O/A performances, which I thought was odd. It's almost as if some tickets had been reserved or held back and then released today.

Yes, it's interesting the number of seats that have become available today - thanks for flagging it up. After all my moaning above re not getting what I wanted on public booking day last week, I have just secured a perfect ticket for Jewels 30 Dec matinee, a jewel of a ticket in fact  :) ! There were 2 seats together available so I suspect those were returns. 

• Like 1

Ridiculous situation: suddenly quite a few Stalls Circle standing tickets have appeared for Giselle and Jewels. What is the box office's policy about releasing ticket this late after the start of public booking? Why were they not available earlier? Does anyone understand?

Would they be the student allocation that hasn't found any takers? That would be the least upsetting answer. Not sure I really want to know.

Nicola - I wish you hadn't mentioned that!  I had to look and I have now accidentally purchased a ticket!!!!

As the ticket I have purchased wasn't showing as available when I was half toying with the idea the other day, I may well be sitting next to you!!  Sorry!!

• Like 2