PRESS RELEASE: BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET ANNOUNCES 2024 - 25 SEASON

I wasn't at the Zoom talk but I have always thought of Fille, Two Pigeons, Sylvia and Cinderella (Ashton's or Bintley's)  as classics  rather than heritage works 😀 ...because Fille is from 1789 (same as the Revolution), Sylvia from 1876, Two Pigeons from 1886 (the latter two both choreographed by Louis Merante) and the ballets are simply Ashton's production of what he thought they were - not an attempt at a historical reconstruction but his version of a classical ballet, as opposed to Enigma Variations and Marguerite & Armand, which I would call heritage works. 

Whatever he said, the main thing is that he is programming the works that are both fun ballets for the audience and classics with great roles for the dancers. If I had to choose between someone who says the right things but doesn't deliver the great ballets, and someone who says the wrong things but delivers the great ballets like Fille, Coppelia, Giselle etc I would pick the latter every time. 

But the key thing is (to quote @Jan McNulty) .... Fille Fille Fille!

It's coming back, and what joy that is. 🎀 

• Like 10

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Acosta also made similar statements in a long interview in the Dancing Times, so his views are in print.

I wrote a long letter, criticising his views, which was also published, and which attracted considerable agreement, both in the magazine and to me personally.

BRB has a very able administrator in Caroline Miller, and people suspect she has managed to achieve a more balanced approach.

• Like 10

Carlos seems to have a policy of inviting a 'star' prima every year to highlight the company and for the dancers to learn from - 2022 Nunez/Muntagirov Don Q, 2023 Semionova Swan Lake, 2024 Alina Sleeping Beauty. I'd be interested to see who might get an invite - presumably for Cinderella since it's always been in the first ballet of the calendar year I think. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

Carlos seems to have a policy of inviting a 'star' prima every year to highlight the company and for the dancers to learn from - 2022 Nunez/Muntagirov Don Q, 2023 Semionova Swan Lake, 2024 Alina Sleeping Beauty. I'd be interested to see who might get an invite - presumably for Cinderella since it's always been in the first ballet of the calendar year I think. 

Just some fun guesses.... Iana Salenko or Tiler Peck for Cinderella???

Doesn't fit the pattern of the spring ballet but there was the incredible Laura Rodriguez in Nutcracker (ie late November to early December)- I didn't manage to see her in Nutcracker as November to early December is always tricky for me schedule-wise but she was stunning in an excerpt from Carmen (Acosta's version) with Javier Rojas and in Mermaid (Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui's choreography) with Acosta for his 50th birthday celebration in July. Did anyone here catch Rodriguez in Nutcracker? 

Or maybe they might invite a guest for the role of the Prince. Angelo Greco of San Francisco Ballet or Guillaume Diop of the Paris Opera Ballet? (These are totally imaginary fun guesses. I have absolutely no intel about who is being considered or even whether there will be any guest.) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

How do people feel about one of the Ugly sisters wearing a fat suit? It made me feel uncomfortable when I first saw it, and today when there are highly publicised issues about ballet dancers being fat shamed perhaps it should be discarded.

Dancers wear padding of various thicknesses to create and become all sorts of diverse characters in many ballets. e.g. in the RB Cinderella the step-sisters wore padding, and there is also Napoleon and Wellington amongst others. Don Quixote & Sancho Panchez wear padding in Don Q. And so does Widow Simone in La Fille.  The courtiers & suitors  in Sleeping Beauty, the ambassadors in Swan Lake. The party guests in The Nutcracker….. the list goes on and on. 

It isn't the same thing, using padding to create a character or make an accurate historical costume. The problem is in creating a costume specifically to mock a young woman because she is too fat and thus ugly. Likewise the other sister is mocked because she is too thin, unacceptable and totally out of touch with modern thinking about mental health issues.

• Like 5

The sisters in the BRB production are called Skinny and Dumpy and are costumed accordingly. So, if I understand correctly, what you’’re actually asking is whether the story of a ballet created in 2010 that reflected Prokovievs original 1945 narrative needs to be changed to accommodate present day sensitivities?

Edited by PeterS

I'm very excited to see that Fille is scheduled for the next season, it's one of my favourite ballets. It'll have to be a flying visit since I already have a lengthy stay in London in November when Regent's Opera is staging the Ring. Currently pondering whether to go to Birmingham, which I've never visited, or stick to Sadler's Wells. Any advice on the Hippodrome vs Sadler's Wells, and on possible accomodation in Birmingham would be very much appreciated.

• Like 3

Try this thread, for a start:

EDIT: Indeed, so that they don't get lost in the general discussion, I've moved the comments on things to do and places to stay in Birmingham to that thread.

Edited by alison
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Exactly! There are many things considered normal in the past that are no longer acceptable.

I’ve been reflecting on this.

As part of a narrative story I think that it is acceptable to have characters behaving towards other characters in ways that wouldn’t be acceptable in real life. Because behaviour is considered unacceptable in real life doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. The best way to perpetuate a behaviour is to deny it happens. As such, by highlighting such behaviour the Arts play an important role in bringing it into the spotlight for debate and discussion. 
Fairy stories and fables contain important morals, messages and examples of how to and how not to behave for children and adults of all ages. This is one reason why they endure down the generations.
If one were to remove all the unpleasant and unacceptable themes in Cinderella one would be left with very little. There is domestic slavery (Cinderella is prisoner in her own home)

bullying (the step sisters bully Cinderella, their stepfather and the tradespeople),  coercive control and domestic abuse, (stepsisters and, where there is a stepmother her too), (Cinderella is not allowed her freedom nor freedom of choice) and attempted fraud/deception (stepmother and & stepsisters pretend to be the rightful owner of the glass slipper) to give a but a few examples 

Surely far better to stage a ballet which brings to life the ‘elephants in the room’ and promotes healthy discussion perhaps thereby changing peoples’ behaviour for the better than to pretend these things don’t exist. 
After all, the stepsisters (and stepmother) do not profit from their bad and antisocial behaviours. In Cinderella, good triumphs over bad. If only this were the case in real life.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2

I agree, the Arts can be a great catalyst for healthy discussion - isn't that what we are having now? My concern is that at the moment, the two schools associated with BRB, Elmhurst and RBS are both being sued by former pupils for the way they handled eating disorders and mental health issues. As it is sub judice we are not allowed to discuss, but I don't think mentioning that these cases exist contravenes anything.

So for BRB to portray weight issues as comedic does not feel right. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

I’ve been reflecting on this.

As part of a narrative story I think that it is acceptable to have characters behaving towards other characters in ways that wouldn’t be acceptable in real life. Because behaviour is considered unacceptable in real life doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. The best way to perpetuate a behaviour is to deny it happens. As such, by highlighting such behaviour the Arts play an important role in bringing it into the spotlight for debate and discussion. 
Fairy stories and fables contain important morals, messages and examples of how to and how not to behave for children and adults of all ages. This is one reason why they endure down the generations.
If one were to remove all the unpleasant and unacceptable themes in Cinderella one would be left with very little. There is domestic slavery (Cinderella is prisoner in her own home)

bullying (the step sisters bully Cinderella, their stepfather and the tradespeople),  coercive control and domestic abuse, (stepsisters and, where there is a stepmother her too), (Cinderella is not allowed her freedom nor freedom of choice) and attempted fraud/deception (stepmother and & stepsisters pretend to be the rightful owner of the glass slipper) to give a but a few examples 

Surely far better to stage a ballet which brings to life the ‘elephants in the room’ and promotes healthy discussion perhaps thereby changing peoples’ behaviour for the better than to pretend these things don’t exist. 
After all, the stepsisters (and stepmother) do not profit from their bad and antisocial behaviours. In Cinderella, good triumphs over bad. If only this were the case in real life.

I don't know what the answer is in this case, but the equation of fatness or indeed ugliness with wickedness* is something that begins to feel dated and that we should be leaving in the past. As Bintley is still active, it might be something he'd like to re-think in this revival.

*Somewhat off-topic, but IMO political cartoons - and hands up, I seldom find them funny anyway - are the worst offenders for this and it is most striking in their treatment of women politicians of all persuasions.

• Like 5

On 03/02/2024 at 19:32, Lizbie1 said:

I don't know what the answer is in this case, but the equation of fatness or indeed ugliness with wickedness* is something that begins to feel dated and that we should be leaving in the past. As Bintley is still active, it might be something he'd like to re-think in this revival.

I don’t think that either fatness or physical ugliness are being equated with wickedness as such. Surely by having Skinny & Dumpy as the stepsisters ie one of each archetype of physical form Bintley is showing us that the ugliness is of the spirit within a person and that the ‘outside’ appearance of a person is no guide to character and as such can take any shape or form.

• Like 1

From what I remember, the fat/thin thing about the sisters is just a visual joke; I wouldn't assign any deeper meaning to it, and I also wouldn't worry at all about it. (What did worry me was that I found the choreography and the humour rather crude and unfunny. Maybe I was in the wrong mood, and I think I've only seen this production once so perhaps I should try it again.) 

But what message are all the young girls (& everyone else) going to take away from watching this? To succeed as a young woman you must be perfect, neither too fat nor too thin.

Remember, the original production in USSR was under Stalin. If he didn't like it the creators risked being sent to the Gulags. So it is not surprising they played safe with stereotypes. We shouldn't be perpetuating them.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Ad para
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

But what message are all the young girls (& everyone else) going to take away from watching this? To succeed as a young woman you must be perfect, neither too fat nor too thin.

I think that the message is that one's personality and character traits are NOT defined by one's physical shape and that one should never judge a book by it's cover.

there is no such thing as 'THE' perfect woman (or man). Fat, slim and in-between are all subjective assessments and women (& men) of all shapes and sizes can succeed in all areas. talent will rise to the top. 

• Like 1

I am personally more alarmed by the photoshopped images that lead some young people down the path to dangerous, sometimes fatal, surgery in an attempt to replicate the unreal and suicide if they can’t. 

Edited by Scheherezade

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Just wondering if anyone knows when it might be possible to book Sadler's Wells tickets? As there's so few performances, I'm getting anxious!

Oh, they haven't even put the ballets on the SWT website yet. Do you have Birmingham Royal Ballet on social media @art_enthusiast- it's worth clicking on follow for either their Instagram or Facebook pages. That's how I got the news about their season announcement- I think it was faster than the email mailing list. They often announce which day the tickets go on sale at each venue. Their team is very efficient. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2024 at 12:34, art_enthusiast said:

Just wondering if anyone knows when it might be possible to book Sadler's Wells tickets? As there's so few performances, I'm getting anxious!

booking dates
Patrons: Monday 18 March, 10am
Rehearsal members: Wednesday 20 March, 10am
Members: Friday 22 March, 10am
General public on sale date: Monday 25 March, 10am

Book online from 10am but remember to log in to your account first.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Thank you. At least this is in time. But again, as so often these days, a combination of overdone yet not pointed properly. To quote myself from January:

https://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/28067-a-balletdance-miscellany-thread/?do=findComment&comment=428116

• 4 weeks later...

Yes that is good!! Well done to all of them. 

I just booked Fille at Sadlers Wells today …it seems such a long way ahead but as only three performances thought best to get on with it! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

On 17/04/2024 at 18:45, LinMM said:

I just booked Fille at Sadlers Wells today …it seems such a long way ahead but as only three performances thought best to get on with it! 

Same! I am eager to see it live for the first time.

• Like 3

I wonder if Peregrine the Pony will be taking a trip up to the Wells! I’ve seen him being walked along Whitehall during the last run so maybe a bit too far for him to go! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I wonder if Peregrine the Pony will be taking a trip up to the Wells! I’ve seen him being walked along Whitehall during the last run so maybe a bit too far for him to go! 

I remember seeing him being walked over the bridge. Does the Wells stage have space for him?

• Like 1