PRESS RELEASE: BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET ANNOUNCES 2024 - 25 SEASON

Sorry I couldn't wait for the press release- this is too good! 

Birmingham Royal Ballet are reviving La Fille mal gardée for the 2024-2025 season!!! 

Other revivals include Bintley's Cinderella, Nutcracker and Black Sabbath the Ballet. New creations include Luna, and BRB2 will continue their tours.

(Source: BRB's website and Facebook page. Don't worry, I know people stopped reading after seeing the words "La Fille mal gardée" and "2024-2025".  😉

Happy dance time. 💃 😀 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other magic words you're waiting for: 

Fille will be at-

Birmingham (25-28 September 2024) 

Plymouth (10-13 October 2024)

Sadler's Wells, London (24-25 October 2024)

Other cities/venues may be confirmed later. 

There will also be an Ashton Celebration with masterclasses and other events. 

London readers, note there are only 2 dates for Fille- block those days in your diaries now! 😉 

Go read the BRB website everyone- there's a cute photo of Fille and lots of goodies to read about. 💛

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

@Jan McNulty I just noticed we thought of the same thing at the same time....that's hilarious! (The title is Jan's by the way- I cannot claim credit for that. Our posts have now been amalgamated.) 

Bintley's Cinderella will be the spring tour ballet (Feb-Apr),  going to Southampton, Birmingham, Salford, Sunderland, Bristol, and Plymouth (no London). More details on the BRB website and when the press release gets sent to Jan. 

4 minutes ago, alison said:

Only two days for Fille in London?  Are they doing something else as well?

Yes, a new commission ‘Luna’, a 2-act (full-length), abstract ballet in six movements, which forms the final part of Carlos’s Birmingham Trilogy (City of a Thousand Trades + Black Sabbath + Luna). This new work is inspired by the pioneering and socially enterprising women of Birmingham who have contributed to the shape of the city that Birmingham Royal Ballet calls home. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is truly excellent news, I hope that there isn't too much crossover with ROH.  I'd go and see it all of course (and much prefer Bintley to Wheeldon for Cinderella) but wouldn't it be nice if there was some coordination this year,  noting 3 different Swan Lakes from March through to the end of the season.

Hope we get BRB2 back in London - affordable ballet and good for people to see a range of repertoire - am doing my bit to try to cultivate a bit of a following.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Blossom said:

This is truly excellent news, I hope that there isn't too much crossover with ROH.  I'd go and see it all of course (and much prefer Bintley to Wheeldon for Cinderella) but wouldn't it be nice if there was some coordination this year,  noting 3 different Swan Lakes from March through to the end of the season.

I wonder if BRB doing Fille, and particularly that they're bringing it to London, means that the RB won't be doing it for yet another season....

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I wonder if BRB doing Fille, and particularly that they're bringing it to London, means that the RB won't be doing it for yet another season....

I hope they are - I think I am going to be away the weekend that it's on here and the Birmingham dates don't work for me either.

At least I have the option to pop up to Bham for a Cinderella matinee I guess.

Also a bit miffed that BRB2 currently not due to be in London in 2024- although that may be due to late announcement of the Next Gen festival...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FionaM said:

Can’t help thinking that 2 days of La Fille in London is NOWHERE near enough for demand ….

24 & 25 October are Thursday and Friday....there would be space to fit in a weekday matinee on Friday with a dress rehearsal/run through on Thursday morning after their Luna programme perhaps. Am very  surprised that they are not dancing Fille on  Sat 26 Oct as well, since that could fit in a  matinee as well as evening performance, and Saturdays sell well for BRB full length classics. Maybe they're keeping that date back provisionally to see if they should add it on if Thursday and Friday sell out. I'd say they will sell out! 

24 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, I don't recall RB & BRB ever doing Fille in the same season in London during the last 15-20 years. I have a feeling the BRB team do pay attention to regulars' and fans' feedback on public posts (I'm sure some write in directly to the company too) about how much they are missing Fille and it's great that BRB has made Fille the opening programme of the 2024-2025 season. (They last brought it to London in early November 2018; RB last danced it at ROH in Oct 2016).

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

The modified Royal Albert Hall version of Sir Peter Wright's Nutcracker is returning in Dec 2024 as well (29-31 Dec), after BRB finish performing the traditional Peter Wright BRB version on 22 Nov - 14 Dec at Birmingham Hippodrome. 

37 minutes ago, FionaM said:

Can’t help thinking that 2 days of La Fille in London is NOWHERE near enough for demand ….

BRB have Luna scheduled for 22/10 and 23/10 and then Fille for 24/10 & 25/10. Nothing is scheduled as yet for Saturday 26/10 which gives the possibility to play the “sold out in record time,  extra dates added by popular demand” ruse for either production.

That said, last time I saw BRB dance Fille at Sadlers Wells (Nov 2018?), it was in a half empty theatre so although popular among Forum members, perhaps it’s not the show to attract big London audiences. It may well be in competition for ticket sales with the RB too who has yet to declare its hand for 2024/2025.
Hats off to Carlos for bringing it back to the stage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

The other magic words you're waiting for: 

Fille will be at-

Other cities/venues may be confirmed later. 

London readers, note there are only 2 dates for Fille- block those days in your diaries now! 😉 

I've been wondering if the London dates might not be accurate.  BRB are usually at Sadler's Wells from a Tuesday or Wednesday to a Saturday (i.e. with two performances on the Saturday).  The dates given for the new work, Luna,  are Tuesday October 22 and Wednesday October  23.  The dates given for Fille are  Thursday October 24 and Friday October 25.  I've never known them come to Sadler's Wells and not perform on the Saturday. I could be wrong but I suspect that the Fille dates might well be October 25 and 26.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The way scheduling seems to go with RB, BRB and ENB these days would suggest the odds are at least ‘even’ for an RB production too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluebird said:

I've been wondering if the London dates might not be accurate.  BRB are usually at Sadler's Wells from a Tuesday or Wednesday to a Saturday (i.e. with two performances on the Saturday).  The dates given for the new work, Luna,  are Tuesday October 22 and Wednesday October  23.  The dates given for Fille are  Thursday October 24 and Friday October 25.  I've never known them come to Sadler's Wells and not perform on the Saturday. I could be wrong but I suspect that the Fille dates might well be October 25 and 26.

I agree it's a bit odd, @Bluebird! And totally agree with you that they've always included a Saturday matinee and Sat evening for Fille....sometimes Sunday matinee too! Maybe they will move it forward to 25-26 Oct or extend it to 24-26 Oct! I would certainly prefer a Saturday (and take in both shows) but could do a Friday. 

4 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I agree it's a bit odd, @Bluebird! And totally agree with you that they've always included a Saturday matinee and Sat evening for Fille....sometimes Sunday matinee too! Maybe they will move it forward to 25-26 Oct or extend it to 24-26 Oct! I would certainly prefer a Saturday (and take in both shows) but could do a Friday. 

It does indeed say 25-26 on their site.

• Thanks 1

That's interesting....well spotted, @Blossom

The news announcement on the BRB website says 24-25 October for Sadler's Wells. 

The "What's On" listings on their website gives 25 October, 26 Oct 2pm matinee and 26 October evening for Sadler's Wells.

Which one to believe? 25-26 October (3 shows) sounds more like their usual schedule.

I expect they will correct the discrepancy in a few days but I'm blocking off 24-26 Oct in my diary just in case.  😀

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Blossom said:

I hope they are - I think I am going to be away the weekend that it's on here and the Birmingham dates don't work for me either.

At least I have the option to pop up to Bham for a Cinderella matinee I guess.

Also a bit miffed that BRB2 currently not due to be in London in 2024- although that may be due to late announcement of the Next Gen festival...

BRB dancing Fille in Oct 2024 and RB dancing Fille in June 2025 might work as it looks like "next year" even though it's the same season. RB has danced Fille in April, May and June before at ROH as well as autumn and winter months.  I wonder if RB/Kevin O'Hare will schedule Fille soon? 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

If they are doing a 2-show day then I'd be tempted to book both, as I've never seen Fille before & suspect one viewing will not be enough, but what one is supposed to do to kill time for about 3 hours in the vicinity of Sadler's Wells I do not know....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

If they are doing a 2-show day then I'd be tempted to book both, as I've never seen Fille before & suspect one viewing will not be enough, but what one is supposed to do to kill time for about 3 hours in the vicinity of Sadler's Wells I do not know....

Nice shops on Upper Street for window shopping or real  shopping and great cafes/restaurants on the way to and on Upper Street? Or if you have a travel card on your train ticket that offers unlimited tube/bus you could get the tube to a museum/gallery (eg British Museum or Tate Modern is quite a short journey away) for an hour or two? Make sure you give yourself extra time to get back though. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

My family will say "it's definitely worth seeing Fille twice in a day!"..... especially if you like ponies! 🐎 😀 🎀(also worth seeing twice in a day even if you are not keen on ponies or animals I should add!!) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I will try to get to all of the Fille performances as my enforced withdrawal symptoms will be biting me very hard by then (not that they aren't already).  There is a lot to do around the Sadler's Wells area....lots of shops and restaurants and cafes.  I would be happy to 'hang' with you if you come.  You just have to see Fille Fille Fille!!  

Bravo to BRB for bringing our beautiful ballet back.  My happiness is tinged with a bit of sadness that Brandon won't be around to dance Colas.  I missed him in 2018 because his one scheduled performance clashed with a debut from Yasmine Naghdi which I couldn't miss.  

• Like 8

Delighted they're bringing back Fille and definitely worth a trip to Birmingham.  I think the audience will be full of very happy people.  I think it was Matthias Dingman last time I saw it who was just lovely.  I will also miss Brandon though.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

BRB have Luna scheduled for 22/10 and 23/10 and then Fille for 24/10 & 25/10. Nothing is scheduled as yet for Saturday 26/10 which gives the possibility to play the “sold out in record time,  extra dates added by popular demand” ruse for either production.

That said, last time I saw BRB dance Fille at Sadlers Wells (Nov 2018?), it was in a half empty theatre so although popular among Forum members, perhaps it’s not the show to attract big London audiences. It may well be in competition for ticket sales with the RB too who has yet to declare its hand for 2024/2025.
Hats off to Carlos for bringing it back to the stage.

The performance I went to in 2018 seemed very well attended. Perhaps we were at different ones, or maybe because I was in the cheap seats!! 
I do remember it being a lovely performance.

I really think it’s one of the best ballets for children and I hope it seems well in all venues. A better starter ballet than Nutcracker, in my controversial opinion. 
Agree re ‘hats off’. Carlos’ own Colas was great, so he will coach well, I suspect. He and Mukhamedov are my all-time favourites in the role. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The press release does I think run the risk of giving the impression to those not in the know that Acosta will be dancing Colas. (Because it says he 'is' one of the great interpreters of the role, rather than 'was'.)

• Like 3

I hope it sells out everywhere but I do recall it not doing so on previous occasions.

I wonder whether giving a translation of the title in brackets would help for audiences who don't know the work - and also, lots of publicity stressing the ballet's joyful qualities and perhaps making clear that it is a good family ballet?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Fille will be at-

Just to add:

The BRB website season announcement has now been corrected:

Fille will definitely be performed at Sadler's Wells on FRIDAY 25 OCT 7.30pm & SAT 26 OCT 2pm & 7.30pm. 

*If they do decide to dance on Thursday as well that will be a surprise bonus, but for now, block off Friday and/or Saturday, everyone, not Thursday. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Looking forward,  I’m hoping that Enrique Bejarano Vidal will have a chance to dance Colas. 

Do you think it's likely that anyone below Principal level will get cast in the lead roles given there are only 13 performances? Assuming BRB has 5 male Principals next season (current line-up minus Morales) then that would only give each of them either 2 or 3 performances without any lower-ranked dancers getting cast.

Personally if I go to 2 performances then I'd ideally like to see Dingman & Monaghan but I suspect that the Sadler's Wells performances are likely to sell quickly enough that I'll have to book before casting is announced.

Edited by Dawnstar
Typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Do you think it's likely that anyone below Principal level will get cast in the lead roles given there are only 13 performances? Assuming BRB has 5 male Principals next season (current line-up minus Morales) then that would only give each of them either 2 or 3 performances without any lower-ranked dancers getting cast.

Personally if I go to 2 performances then I'd ideally like to see Dingman & Monaghan but I suspect that the Sadler's Wells perfprmances are likely to sell quickly enough that I'll have to book before casting is announced.

There could be opportunities for dancers not ranked as principals to dance lead roles at matinées. Previously Fille was always danced by soloists, first soloists as well as  principals in the leads. I'm hoping Chou gets London; I've seen a few other principals. 

You're right @Dawnstar- that's fast counting! - it's only 13 shows. That's because there's another full length ballet in spring. But there is a gap from 27 Oct to 21 Nov with nothing announced for the company, so they could well be waiting for another theatre to confirm, or there might be scope to add on 1 or 2 extra shows at Sadler's Wells. 

Hopefully casting will be announced soon enough for people to book trains and /or hotels if needed, as well as tickets. 😊 I think Sadler's Wells could definitely sell out four performances, though, and probably five. As @FionaM noted, I don't think 3 shows for London would be enough. 

• Like 2