Ashton programmes summer 2024

Not sure if it's right to start a new thread or use existing ones and if it should be here or Performances but mods please move if necessary.

Just received my Friends summer magazine and turned immediately to the programme at the back. Just to clarify, Sarasota are doing 3 programmes

Programme 1 Valses nobles et sentimentales

Dante Sonata

Sinfonietta

4/5 June 7.45, 8th June 2pm

Programme 2  Valses nobles et sentimentales

Diverts

Facade

6, 7 June 7.45, 9th June 2pm

Programme 3  Valses nobles et sentimentales

Varii Capricci

Facade

8th June 7.45

All in the Linbury and all last approx 2 hours with 2 intervals. No mention of a Gala evening.  2 different programmes on the 8th June including programme 3 which only seems to be being performed once.

Royal Ballet are doing 2 programmes

Programme 1 Les Rendezvous, The Dream, Rhapsody

General rehearsal 6th June 12.30

6, 10, 19 June at 7.30.  15th June 1pm and 7pm

Programme 2 The Dream, diverts (5 waltzes, Walk to Paradise Garden (Sarasota), Hamlet and Ophelia) and Rhapsody

General Rehearsal 7th June 12.30

7, 18, 21 June 7.30. 22 Jun 1pm and 7pm

So sadly there is overlap between the Sarasota and RB programmes on 6th and 7th pm though those coming from a distance can see all Sarasota programmes on the 8/9 June.

No prices given for Sarasota in Linbury. Prices given for RB in main house. I'll just give a few areas.

Stalls £110, £104, £96

Stalls circle far sides £39, £29, £16, £9

Stalls circle £110, £104, £96, £87, 

£67, £50, £39, £22, £9

Grand Tier £110

Amphi £67, £50, £39, £29, £22, £16, £9, £4

Prices don't seem too bad really, even given mixed bills are cheaper. Hope I've got everything correct. Please feel free to amend any mistakes!

I've emailed Kevin saying how thrilled I am with the programmes and also asked about the Gala, when we might expect casting, are any programmes going to be streamed given the disappointing lack of a cinema broadcast, and (yet another) plea for Fille next season!

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 9

2024.  120 years this year since the birth of Sir Frederick Ashton. 

I hope that the Royal Ballet will continue to remember and celebrate Ashton, so that when his hundredth birthday comes along in the year 2004 his work will be alive and well.

This seems an appropriate thread in which to post this, for reference.  https://archives.danceviewtimes.com/2004/summer/Ashton/ashtonconf1.htm

A short extract 

Frederick Ashton would have been ninety years old on 17 September 1994. He often used to say that after his death most of his works would be considered passe and would fall into neglect. This was typically self-deprecating, yet it proved to be not too far from the truth, and shockingly soon. There was a sense that those who took over the direction of the Royal Ballet did indeed find his works silly and irrelevant. Whether or not this was actually the case, the number of his ballets in the company's repertory certainly declined. And if ballets are not danced, people forget how to dance them. It didn't help that in the Royal Ballet School the Russian influence was in the ascendant, while the Cecchetti system, the technical basis of Ashton's style, went into eclipse. (It has even been suggested that the Russian-based training, with its emphasis on athleticism, is the cause of the growing number of injuries in the company's ranks.)

A few ballets remained in the active repertory—the term is of course a relative one in the case of the Royal Ballet; it is possible that more Ashton ballets would be danced more often if the Royal Ballet gave more performances in general than its usual two or three a week. La Fille mal gardee, The Dream, A Month in the Country have become classics; Cinderella comes around every other Christmas, more or less; Scènes de ballet, in the opinion of many, including Ashton himself, his best ballet, is brought back every so often. (Even some of these suffered from the general neglect.) The revival of Ondine came and went a few years ago; a stage version of the film Tales of Beatrix Potter, a more misguided addition to the repertory, seems to have stuck, as another Christmas treat.

Celebrating Ashton

by David Vaughan  
originally published in DanceView, Spring 1995

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I'd better start praying now that all my trains are running in the first half of June! Though even then it's going to be very difficult to try to see as many of the programmes as possible over such a short time period. And that's assuming I can get any tickets...

• Like 2

I feel I could go off on one again about so many shows in Linbury so can expect hardly any tickets left by public booking 😬

Thanks for above post a helpful reminder all in one place! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Not sure if it's right to start a new thread or use existing ones and if it should be here or Performances but mods please move if necessary.

Just received my Friends summer magazine and turned immediately to the programme at the back. Just to clarify, Sarasota are doing 3 programmes

Programme 1 Valses nobles et sentimentales

Dante Sonata

Sinfonietta

4/5 June 7.45, 8th June 2pm

Programme 2  Valses nobles et sentimentales

Diverts

Facade

6, 7 June 7.45, 9th June 2pm

Programme 3  Valses nobles et sentimentales

Varii Capricci

Facade

8th June 7.45

All in the Linbury and all last approx 2 hours with 2 intervals. No mention of a Gala evening.  2 different programmes on the 8th June including programme 3 which only seems to be being performed once.

Royal Ballet are doing 2 programmes

Programme 1 Les Rendezvous, The Dream, Rhapsody

General rehearsal 6th June 12.30

6, 10, 19 June at 7.30.  15th June 1pm and 7pm

Programme 2 The Dream, diverts (5 waltzes, Walk to Paradise Garden (Sarasota), Hamlet and Ophelia) and Rhapsody

General Rehearsal 7th June 12.30

7, 18, 21 June 7.30. 22 Jun 1pm and 7pm

So sadly there is overlap between the Sarasota and RB programmes on 6th and 7th pm though those coming from a distance can see all Sarasota programmes on the 8/9 June.

No prices given for Sarasota in Linbury. Prices given for RB in main house. I'll just give a few areas.

Stalls £110, £104, £96

Stalls circle far sides £39, £29, £16, £9

Stalls circle £110, £104, £96, £87, 

£67, £50, £39, £22, £9

Grand Tier £110

Amphi £67, £50, £39, £29, £22, £16, £9, £4

Prices don't seem too bad really, even given mixed bills are cheaper. Hope I've got everything correct. Please feel free to amend any mistakes!

I've emailed Kevin saying how thrilled I am with the programmes and also asked about the Gala, when we might expect casting, are any programmes going to be streamed given the disappointing lack of a cinema broadcast, and (yet another) plea for Fille next season!

Thank you so much for this - it helps tremendously with my planning: everything I need to know bar casting and whether I'll get tickets for the Linbury.

23 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Are tickets to see Sarasota at ROH on sale yet to general public? Very keen to go see some performances 

Both the ROH & Sarasota Ballet websites say tickets available soon. No other details given. So, keep an eye out. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PeterS said:

Both the ROH & Sarasota Ballet websites say tickets available soon. No other details given. So, keep an eye out. 

Lots of different booking dates given in the magazine. The key ones perhaps are: Friends from 6th March; Public from 27th March. 
So a while to go yet.

• Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if the casting for the Ashton bills are out (somewhere in the public domain). I would so love to go, because my last experience with an Ashton triple bill was simply a highlight of the year, but guess what, the biennial performance at my own ballet school is also going to be on the 7th...

With booking open for some in only 12 days' time, it's disappointing that there still isn't any casting information.

There are so many clashes to manage over the summer season between the different ballets and RB/Sarasota that it would be helpful to have the information in order to prioritise.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

With booking open for some in only 12 days' time, it's disappointing that there still isn't any casting information.

There are so many clashes to manage over the summer season between the different ballets and RB/Sarasota that it would be helpful to have the information in order to prioritise.

I understand that Patrons (whose booking deadline has passed!!) have been told that the information is imminent.

Some dancers appear to know about their casting so things are obviously stirring behind the scenes.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Blossom said:

I'll be flying from the Netherlands 😆 It's a two-day commitment I'm willing to make, but June is always so hectic and I'd really like to see my preferred dancers. Anyways, I'm looking forward to 20 February - I assume the dates will be out by then. 

Is there any hope for seats to be available at public booking? I think I recall they don’t necessarily hold any seats back for general booking in the Linbury. 

I’d love to see this but it’s probably easier to resign myself to not doing so rather than getting my hopes up. 

(not helped by the fact I can only do performances on the 7, 8th (possibly 6th) due to not being that local!)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

I think the fortnightly Friends news is emailed today so hopefully we’ll soon see some casting information.

any info welcome - and for The Winter's Tale too (and second run of Swan Lake?)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

and for The Winter's Tale too (and second run of Swan Lake?)

I hope so Dave but I don’t know. Also the e-news tends to come out late afternoon so I’ll have to patient.

• Like 1

I am somewhat hoping that the late casting is to have Corrales and McRae in mind for Rhapsody. The former is perhaps more likely as he is already cast for the earlier run of Swan Lake.

• Like 1

I do hope so!! I was wondering what Cesar might be cast in. There are so few performances for there to be much experimentation. 
I think Cesar would make a very interesting Oberon ( against type) but know most won’t agree with this but the limited performances means probably only people who’ve performed the role before. There’s the second Act of Winters Tale I suppose ( with the lovely tree). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

I’m a bit confused by information on the website - are the Ashton triple bills all being held in the Linbury, or just the Sarasota performances? Because when I filtered by main stage venue Ashton didn’t show up, which was a bit strange 

RB Ashton triples are on the Main stage...perhaps you included a wrong filter option? You need to make sure any filters are only  set to Ballet and Dance, and/or Summer 23/24 and/or Main Stage.

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Thanks. I was also wondering why the Dream is included in both triple bills? I guess it gives more opportunities for a range of casting?

Rhapsody is in both triple bills too.

the difference would appear to be that whilst Les Rendezvous will be danced by the Royal Ballet in Bill 1,  in Bill 2:

"a selection of short works, including Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan, Hamlet and Ophelia and The Walk to the Paradise Garden performed by Sarasota Ballet.

Edited by PeterS

Is this meant to read: 

a selection of short works performed by Sarasota Ballet comprising Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan, Hamlet and Ophelia and The Walk to the Paradise Garden?

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 1

Rhapsody is also on both the RB triples (just realised our replies were simultaneous, PeterS). The only difference in both programmes is the middle part; Les Rendezvous in one programme and Divertissements in the other. It's a bit frustrating, given all the Ashton short ballets waiting to be danced but I suppose we need to be grateful for what we have and there is the opportunity for interesting casting. For me, the most frustrating aspect is the clash with Sarasota on several evenings in the Sarasota week. Also, what has happened to the Sarasota gala? I did email Kevin several weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet.

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Also, what has happened to the Sarasota gala?

it is listed on the ROH website:

8 JUNE 2024

SATURDAY, 7.45PM
ASHTON GALA: VALSES NOBLES ET SENTIMENTALES / DANCE OF THE BLESSED SPIRITS / VARRI CAPRICCI / FAÇADE
LINBURY THEATRE

GUIDANCE: Suitable for all

tickets are £10, £30, £45, £60, £110

Edited by PeterS