Ashton programmes summer 2024

Thanks everyone 

Last time I looked it just gave details of the 2 Saturday performance without detailing one of them was the gala. I knew the evening one was supposed to be the gala and it made sense as it was the performance Sarasota only seem to be doing once but I wasn't sure. So at least that's sorted. But it still seems strange having to choose between RB and Sarasota on the evenings of the 6th and the 7th. Can't be good for sales for either Company.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

Thanks everyone 

Last time I looked it just gave details of the 2 Saturday performance without detailing one of them was the gala. I knew the evening one was supposed to be the gala and it made sense as it was the performance Sarasota only seem to be doing once but I wasn't sure. So at least that's sorted. But it still seems strange having to choose between RB and Sarasota on the evenings of the 6th and the 7th. Can't be good for sales for either Company.

Most people will only attend once, or if a devotee, once per programme so two shows clashing on one night isn’t a disaster. Perhaps the schedules have been done considerately such that an Ashton devotee can visit London to see three different programmes on three successive dates meaning only 2 nights accommodation is needed? 

Edited by PeterS

52 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

But it still seems strange having to choose between RB and Sarasota on the evenings of the 6th and the 7th. Can't be good for sales for either Company.

It's daft, that's what it is

• Like 3

It's going to be pretty impossible to get booking right as well if they aren't releasing casting... You'd think that they could at least explain why casting still hasn't been confirmed via the last Friends newsletter before the premium groups open next week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TSR101 said:

Is this meant to read: 

a selection of short works performed by Sarasota Ballet comprising Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan, Hamlet and Ophelia and The Walk to the Paradise Garden?

I think it's the other meaning- that Sarasota Ballet are only dancing TWTTPG. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

it's on the Saturday evening performance (at 7.45) in the Linbury. They seem to be doing four ofthe pieces

The Linbury does seem to be an illogical choice of auditorium for a gala - so tiny. Not so much a gala as a private party.....

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TSR101 said:

Is this meant to read: 

a selection of short works performed by Sarasota Ballet comprising Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan, Hamlet and Ophelia and The Walk to the Paradise Garden?

Actually, sounds as though it may be meant to read

a selection of short works comprising: Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan; Hamlet and Ophelia; and The Walk to the Paradise Garden, performed by Sarasota Ballet

or even

a selection of short works comprising The Walk to the Paradise Garden performed by Sarasota Ballet, Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan, and Hamlet and Ophelia

• Like 2

I don't quite understand how Sarasota performing The Walk to the Paradise Garden is going to work. The company are due to be in the Linbury only from 4th-9th June but the programme that The Walk to the Paradise Garden is part of has 1 performance on 7th June then the other 4 of its 5 performances from 18th to 22nd June. So do they leave however many dancers are needed for The Walk to the Paradise Garden behind, to have to hang around in London for over a week until they can actually perform again, while the rest of the company flies back to America or do some dancers fly back to America on say 10th June then have to fly over to London again on say 17th June? Either way seems far from ideal. It feels as though it would make more sense to have the short works as part of the other Ashton programme, which has performances on 6th, 10th, 15th & 19th June.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I don't quite understand how Sarasota performing The Walk to the Paradise Garden is going to work. The company are due to be in the Linbury only from 4th-9th June but the programme that The Walk to the Paradise Garden is part of has 1 performance on 7th June then the other 4 of its 5 performances from 18th to 22nd June. So do they leave however many dancers are needed for The Walk to the Paradise Garden behind, to have to hang around in London for over a week until they can actually perform again, while the rest of the company flies back to America or do some dancers fly back to America on say 10th June then have to fly over to London again on say 17th June? Either way seems far from ideal. It feels as though it would make more sense to have the short works as part of the other Ashton programme, which has performances on 6th, 10th, 15th & 19th June.

Only three dancers required for TWTTPG (unless some journalists and critics have tricked me!). Am guessing they will fly back to the US and return again for the 16th or 17th to rehearse (and just in case the flight is delayed) - an extra return flight usually works out cheaper than hotel/motel room for 1 week. Of course, if they can find/are offered free accommodation eg as house guests with company members (that does happen in ballet companies) and they don't have performing or other obligations that require them to be back in US for a week, then accommodation costs wont be an issue. It would be interesting for them to join RB company classes and observe rehearsals etc for that week. Am sure most Sarasota Ballet members would find a guest stint with RB very exciting and useful in their careers, if they don't have other commitments. So either method could work. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PeterS said:

Perhaps the schedules have been done considerately such that an Ashton devotee can visit London to see three different programmes on three successive dates meaning only 2 nights accommodation is needed? 

Why do I find it hard to believe that consideration for out of town Ashton devotees was foremost - or at all - in the minds of the programme schedulers? Oh, I know, I’m an old sceptic, but all the same …

• Like 3

On 13/02/2024 at 13:10, PeterS said:

Most people will only attend once, or if a devotee, once per programme so two shows clashing on one night isn’t a disaster. Perhaps the schedules have been done considerately such that an Ashton devotee can visit London to see three different programmes on three successive dates meaning only 2 nights accommodation is needed? 

if they were really considering their out of town Ashton devotees (of whom I'm one) they would have scheduled one of each RB Ashton on each double Ashton Saturday instead of 2 performances of programme 1 on the 15th and 2 performances of programme 2 on the 22nd. I know you could argue that gives people the chance to see 2 different casts on the same day (which is OK by me though I'd overall prefer different programmes) but some people may not be that bothered about seeing 2 casts, just seeing 2 programmes. In fact, they compound programme 2 by performing it on the 21st, just before the 2 performances on the 22nd so if you overnight then you still only see the same programme. It really all comes down to casting as London overnights are expensive if you want to be reasonably central. 

• Like 2