Sarah Lamb / partner selections

Guest Alexis

I repeat: 1) technically other dancers are better than Hirano 2) as an image of the couple, "theatrically" and "cinematically" the couple is not homogeneous even in terms of height difference 3) my post was not intended to criticize Hirano as a dancer but I think that Sarah would be more valued to dance together with another partner: the sweetness and grace of her slender figure would require a different partner 4) I am just happy for Sarah that she can have a good feeling with Hirano but for the eyes and heart of the audience the image of the couple remains important 5) if we want to leave out the technical aspect and re-evaluate Hirano then let's think about the film Pretty Woman: if next to Julia you remove Gere and put the great De Niro then Pretty Woman is no longer Pretty Woman 6) a lot of respect for Hirano but the couple must be well blended also visually. Bye from Boston to everybody

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think the contrast in their looks is very attractive. And we audience members have our favourite dancers and partnerships, so why shouldn’t the dancers themselves be allowed to have their favourite partners?  

Sarah Lamb obviously trusts Ryoichi Hirano, and for a ballet like Manon, that is absolutely vital (wasn’t it during pdd rehearsals for Manon years ago that poor Lauren Cuthbertson sustained that horrendous foot injury?).  
Like Bonelli before him, Ryoichi is a trustworthy, safe and experienced partner AND a superb actor.  I’m never disappointed to see him.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Alexis said:

I am just happy for Sarah that she can have a good feeling with Hirano but for the eyes and heart of the audience the image of the couple remains important

If this thread has evidenced anything, it is that the vast majority of commentators react very positively to their pairing. So I think we should put this topic to rest. 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Sarah Lamb obviously trusts Ryoichi Hirano, and for a ballet like Manon, that is absolutely vital (wasn’t it during pdd rehearsals for Manon years ago that poor Lauren Cuthbertson sustained that horrendous foot injury?). 

WAS it Cuthbertson?  I thought it was Lamb - and then there would be even more reason to choose a safe partner.

I apologize for boring you all but I've known Sarah since she was young and danced here in Massachusetts and for me it's a sentimental thing. I am fortunate enough to travel frequently to Europe on business and often make my travels coincide with the dates of her shows in London. I won't bother you any further. Carry Sarah in your heart when her career ends. Merry Christmas to all of you.

Edited by Alexis

I can understand it if someone has a particular liking for one dancer, but not the partner they are being paired with.  It happens.  I often longed to see Guillem with someone other than Cope, as I felt they were not well matched dramatically.  However, Cope was a fantastic partner, and tall as well, so presumably that is why he was always paired with her.  

Looking at ballets mentioned above, when it comes to the Nutcracker, the principals have so little to do, comparatively speaking, I don't think it really matters.  Everyone speaks highly of Hirano's partnering skills in Manon, which are vital for that particular ballet.  So really, I suppose it boils down to Swan Lake, where they will spend a great deal of time on stage together.  However, much of that will see the man standing behind the lady supporting her, so those watching could feast their eyes on Ms Lamb and tune out the pair of hands holding her if they want to.    

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MAB said:

I would have given my back teeth to see her paired with Tsiskaridze.

But, as with Osipova now needing someone who can lift her and be a reliable support enabling her to dance as the mood takes her (Clarke), Guillem possibly preferred a steady pair of hands to support her while she weaved her particular brand of magic.

Not sure that I can relate this back to Lamb except that there are so many dimensions to being partners which we don’t see and never really know about.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, alison said:

WAS it Cuthbertson?  I thought it was Lamb - and then there would be even more reason to choose a safe partner.

Luke Jennings, writing in the Observer in 2014:

Lauren Cuthbertson has suffered a string of mishaps, most recently a badly twisted foot sustained while rehearsing the notorious “slide” in Act 1 of Manon. This step, an accelerated, feet-first skid to the ground, has injured Cuthbertson, Alina Cojocaru, Sylvie Guillem, Sarah Lamb, Cynthia Harvey and Tamara Rojo. It is a known and wretched hazard which clearly should be modified.

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

I often longed to see Guillem with someone other than Cope

The one Don Q I saw Guillem dance at the ROH (June 1994), her Basilio was Oliver Matz. I don't remember him at all! 🤭

Looking at the ROH performance database, she danced with Matz in her three 1993 Kitris, then Cope twice in 1994 but a few days later Matz twice more...so I will assume Cope sustained an injury after his second Basilio and Matz was whisked over from Berlin to cover for him. Does anyone know?

How interesting - the database also says Cope only ever danced Basilio at the ROH five times - twice in 1994 with Guillem, and the rest in 2001 with Miyako Yoshida!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarah once described Ryoichi (on social media, which she very seldom posts publicly on), after he stepped in to partner her in Giselle at quite short notice (I believe it may have been his debut too) to cover her original  partner's injury, as "heavenly Hirano" (the nickname was reportedly  coined by Christopher Carr because Ryoichi had been attentive and remembered everything in rehearsal).

She is very articulate and eloquent, and not afraid to say what she means, so I doubt she would have picked those words if she didn't mean it. While she doesn't always need a tall partner (she is quite petite) and he doesn't need a small ballerina (he is quite tall), they do have a wonderful rapport with each other on stage - their partnership in Jewels (Diamonds) and Within the Golden Hour, for example, is glorious.  Also, noticing various performances over the years, Ryoichi has given brilliant performances (in terms of technical mastery) when partnering Sarah (certainly at the shows I was at). I think of the list Alexis compiled, Ryoichi ranks among the top half of the partners suggested (technically) - certainly not the bottom half. 

Regarding small ballerinas with tall partners, Makarova was and is a very petite ballerina and Anthony Dowell was and is  quite tall, and yet they were an acclaimed and brilliant partnership - they certainly weren't considered mismatched in height at any point. I'm looking forward to their performances in Nutcracker,  Manon, Swan Lake and anything else they might be cast in. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 16

As female dancers age and especially those who have sustained prior (serious) injury, it is imperative that they are with partners with whom they feel most comfortable. Having known and watched Sarah before she left Boston, I doubt she would allow herself to be partnered with someone she could not trust at this point in her career. I was just speaking with a female dancer the other day who had sustained a recent injury, and she said it was imperative that even in Nutcracker that she be paired with somene she could trust to partner her well. Additionally, the rapport that dancers have with each other is important, and I believe that trust and rapport makes for a better performance for all of us in the audience.

I also believe that Ryoichi is very handsome, and not sure why one would make a Gere/DeNirio comparison. Just my opiinon of course. 

Merde to Sarah and Ryoichi!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fromthebalcony said:

I also believe that Ryoichi is very handsome, and not sure why one would make a Gere/DeNirio comparison. Just my opiinon of course. 

Yes! I liked that post because I'm usually pleased to see minority opinions but this puzzled me too.

23 hours ago, MAB said:

I would have given my back teeth to see her paired with Tsiskaridze.

Off topic but in fact Tsiskaridze was a big fan of Sylvie Guillem and he even came to her final farewell performance in Japan and waited at the stage door with other fans to get her autograph. (i saw him there!)

• Like 6

9 hours ago, fromthebalcony said:

I agree. I mean he's not the Matthew Ball type of supermodel gorgeous, but he's a very nice looking man with the sort of bone structure that ages well and will mean he looks good in 20 years time.  Ryo has lovely eyes and a captivating smile and I actually like the little moustache and beard he's wearing now as it makes him look a bit more cheeky and a bit more of a rogue. Certainly I'd not turn him down given a chance!

• Like 12

22 hours ago, fromthebalcony said:

I also believe that Ryoichi is very handsome

Couldn't agree more. He stood out to me as one of the most handsome male dancers of the company when I first saw him (in October 2021's R+J as Tybalt with Fumi/William, when I first started watching live ballet). Of course all the dancers are, but he has a certain type of maturity in his look (and partnering ability) that I believe comes with age and experience. And it is very much appreciated!

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 12:42, Alexis said:

I repeat: 1) technically other dancers are better than Hirano 2) as an image of the couple, "theatrically" and "cinematically" the couple is not homogeneous even in terms of height difference 3) my post was not intended to criticize Hirano as a dancer but I think that Sarah would be more valued to dance together with another partner: the sweetness and grace of her slender figure would require a different partner 4) I am just happy for Sarah that she can have a good feeling with Hirano but for the eyes and heart of the audience the image of the couple remains important 5) if we want to leave out the technical aspect and re-evaluate Hirano then let's think about the film Pretty Woman: if next to Julia you remove Gere and put the great De Niro then Pretty Woman is no longer Pretty Woman 6) a lot of respect for Hirano but the couple must be well blended also visually. Bye from Boston to everybody

Alexis, have you seen Sarah Lamb in a recent performance? I saw her and Hirano in Nutcracker on 22 December and can confirm they are technically at a similar stage of their careers. The stage craft is there, the technique is weakening.

You completely lost any support I might have had for your fly the flag Sarah banner with some distasteful and some would say nasty dog whistle allusions on their respective looks and physicality. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clara_f said:

Alexis, have you seen Sarah Lamb in a recent performance? I saw her and Hirano in Nutcracker on 22 December and can confirm they are technically at a similar stage of their careers. The stage craft is there, the technique is weakening.

I also saw them in the 22nd and I thought they were beautifully matched as a couple.  Not sure what you mean by "the technique is weakening."  I agree that perhaps Hirano isn't leaping as high now as some of the younger men, but I noticed how soft and controlled his landings were.  I couldn't see anything weak about Lamb's technique at all.  As I said on another thread, she has never been a flashy dancer, but I thought her Sugar Plum Fairy was smooth, elegant and poised.  I thoroughly enjoyed her performance.  

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Fonty said:

I also saw them in the 22nd and I thought they were beautifully matched as a couple.  Not sure what you mean by "the technique is weakening."  I agree that perhaps Hirano isn't leaping as high now as some of the younger men, but I noticed how soft and controlled his landings were.  I couldn't see anything weak about Lamb's technique at all.  As I said on another thread, she has never been a flashy dancer, but I thought her Sugar Plum Fairy was smooth, elegant and poised.  I thoroughly enjoyed her performance.  

Fonty I agree with you that Hirano and Lamb both have gorgeous techniques. I fired off a quick response on my phone and could have elaborated more to provide a more delicate and reflective response.

What I meant is that their technique is different to that of their 20s/early 30s. It is perhaps less showy - as you say jumps less high etc. but the stage craft has so much depth and poise, the port de bras do refined. I think there is space for performers of all ages, cf. Alessandra Ferri still knocks it out the park. And I suppose that is what I mean by a weakening of pure technique.  It would dishonest of me if I did not say that I saw some issues with the en dedans pirouettes to the left and jumps / supported lifts in the first PDD to the point that I had to close my eyes and stop watching because it was making me nervous. That clearly was not your experience and isnt it marvellous that we all have different experiences.

I think we're on the same page to say that Ms Lamb and Mr Hirano are beautifully matched as a couple? We might just disagree on some of the specifics of the performance but those are just subjective details.

• Like 5

Ms Lamb and Mr Hirano were beautifully matched on 22 Dec and gave technically polished performances.

I like that Ryoichi now has lots of experience so his solos are not "trying too hard" in being technique for the sake of showing off, but have soft landings, jumps that have elegance of movement, double tours that are neat and not too slow, and the turns and other passages are rhythmically respectful to the music.

Sarah may look like she's not prioritising pyrotechnics, but the elegance of her phrasing and line are a joy to watch, and her series of very fast fouettes with 2 sets of doubles show that she has the technical chops that not many younger dancers can surpass without errors. Loved that magical performance but will post report in Nutcracker  thread when I have more time. Their two further performances together in January (covering for Ms Takada whom I hope will be well recovered to return soon) promise to be a delightful treat. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Clara_f said:

I think we're on the same page to say that Ms Lamb and Mr Hirano are beautifully matched as a couple? We might just disagree on some of the specifics of the performance but those are just subjective details.

I've only seen one Nutcracker, so I had nothing to compare it with.  I did notice one of two very slight...hesitations, shall we say in the pdd.  But if I thought about it at all, I assumed it might have been lack of rehearsal time, as Hirano was a late partner change for Lamb?  Maybe if I had seen more performances I would have thought the same as you. 

• Like 1

I think I remember a bit of video with Monica Mason talking about the many aspects of casting partnerships. From that and various other sources I've garnered the following.  It's complicated - there's the need for shared musicality and physical fit together (tall ladies need tall gentlemen), approach to rehearsals (some dancers prepare every small move in precise detail, whilst others prefer more spontaneity), suitability for the precise role (a good SPF does not a brilliant Mary Vetsera make), availability and personal choice of the dancers (though perhaps that only applies to principals). When one partner is a late substitute for someone else then there likely isn't much choice - availability and the need to know the role already may leave no choice at all. I'm sure more knowledgeable contributors to this forum can add to, or correct, what I say.

Something I do find odd is this attack on Hirano. He is a top flight dancer, or he wouldn't be a principal with RB. He's well able to 'give' a good SPF cavalier, or he wouldn't be cast in that role in the first place. If the OP prefers to see dancers closely matched in height, why not just say that? 

• Like 10

It may be due to my lack of technical knowledge but in the performance I saw, which was 18th as opposed to 22nd that the posters above all seem to have been at, I didn't notice any obvious technical problems with Lamb & Hirano's partnership in the grand pas.

• Like 1

I do sort of know what the OP means. Sarah is a very nuanced, diligent dancer who sacrifices her own ego to the demands of the role.  I choose to watch Hirano in certain roles and not others and he wouldn't be my first choice for her visually (I would prefer Muntagirov).  That isn't to belittle Hirano - he is magnificent in the roles that suit him.  But I also agree with the poster (was it @Fiona M?) who observed that some 'older' male dancers seem to get a swan-song of brilliance after the age of forty, eg Bonelli whom I felt was quite amazing in his final performances.  And I have found Hirano greatly improved too lately.  

As for choice of partners - there are some ballerinas who have such clout that they can choose or deny.  Osipova is one, and her strong personality would insist on what she wants.  I love her choice of Reece - they are so well-suited.  I don't think Sarah Lamb would have the same influence.  She is, for a start, a naturally modest person, and she isn't a worldwide star like Osipova and Nunez.  This is not IMO in any way a fault - she is just different.  When I have seen her I have loved her, but she isn't flamboyant.

Edited by maryrosesatonapin
  • Like 4

Personally, I suspect that all the RB senior ladies are listened to if they say, "I enjoy dancing with A, but feel I am not at my best with B".

After all, though it would be arrogant to suggest that any of them could just walk into a principal job any where, they must all be able to get a good contract elsewhere. With the amount of guesting they do, they build up a lot of contacts, know where they might feel happy and valued, and where there might be vacancies and opportunities.

If K'OH wants to keep them, I'm sure he has to accommodate their preferences when it's possible. And I'm sure that a dancer, if she wants to keep a reputation as a good colleague, has to make to make the best of dancing with B if A is injured and no one else is available to substitute.

It must all be very complicated, and I'm glad I don't have to make the decisions.

• Like 2