DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

Will and Fumi - Take 3 - oh the joy!  Died and gone to heaven (again). 

Tonight's performance capped the last 2 which is an accolade in itself as all have been brilliant. 

3rd time round I think, saw Will marginally more relaxed and I felt there was a "let's go all out for it tonight" feeling about it. He did and they did. 

I cannot describe how their performances together are so exquisite compared to others, but I will try. Definitely their obvious chemistry, their facial expressions (so much more than any other couple), the total belief they can portray in their story telling, the humour, and of course the way they dance together with such obvious trust and enjoyment. Add to that their individual talent. Fumi has been off the scale in all 3 performances but tonight even more so. Will brings such musicality, grace, elegance and beautiful dancing, plus some fun and his acting skills are unique. 

I have loved that right at the end of Act 3, as they move to the table at the front of stage left, I have caught them exchanging what are clearly a few personal words to appreciate each other. A magical partnership. 

Thoroughly enjoyed everyone else's performances too, Hannah Grennell worked hard in dual soloist roles and of course we had James Hay's glorious Gamache.  Once again, I was also impressed with Tom Whitehead's DonQ. 

My main complaint remains - I still don't know how the horse's ears twitch. 

Finally, I think I spotted Will's real life partner, Andy Monaghan this evening during an interval but didn't have the courage to approach and ask. If you follow both on Instagram, you will see a flower theme so perhaps  we can possibly guess who sent Will his distinctive flowers?  

I'm now just trying to commit it all to memory because who knows when we will ever see the like again.  

Edited by JennyTaylor
typo
  • Like 14

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

PS. I wasn't being rude tonight -  I didn't realise anyone was going to be at ROH or I would have popped in the intervals to say hello. Sorry :( 

I wasn't sure if there'd be people there either, but also I can't talk easily in noisy places at the moment because of a breathing condition. So sorry for not coming down.

• Like 2

Another wonderful, dazzling night for Fumi (those fouettés!) and Will - they dance with so much synchronicity and connection - and the whole Company. 

Well done  Hanna Park for doing better with the Italian fouettés this time!  

One query that I have about the casting....is it really necessary to double (or triple) up on some of the roles so much? For example Hannah Grennell dancing as  Kitri Friend as well as Lead Gypsy, and Annette Buvoli dancing as Dulcinea, one of the Dryads, and Lead Fandango lady. I would have thought there might have been more opportunities to afford less experinced dancers some of the doubled-up roles.....

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Another wonderful, dazzling night for Fumi (those fouettés!) and Will - they dance with so much synchronicity and connection - and the whole Company. 

Well done  Hanna Park for doing better with the Italian fouettés this time!  

One query that I have about the casting....is it really necessary to double (or triple) up on some of the roles so much? For example Hannah Grennell dancing as  Kitri Friend as well as Lead Gypsy, and Annette Buvoli dancing as Dulcinea, one of the Dryads, and Lead Fandango lady. I would have thought there might have been more opportunities to afford less experinced dancers some of the doubled-up roles.....

I completely agree. I was really surprised to see Hannah doubling up in those 2 major soloist roles where there are so many ballerinas to whom opportunities could be given.  Also, I do wish the cast sheet would give the names of all the matadors rather than just two (one of which changed in Act 3). So annoying as I spend half my time trying to work out who they all are. 

I have loved Ashley Dean as Amour every time I have seen her.     

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Will and Fumi - Take 3 - oh the joy!  Died and gone to heaven (again). 

Tonight's performance capped the last 2 which is an accolade in itself as all have been brilliant. 

3rd time round I think, saw Will marginally more relaxed and I felt there was a "let's go all out for it tonight" feeling about it. He did and they did. 

I cannot describe how their performances together are so exquisite compared to others, but I will try. Definitely their obvious chemistry, their facial expressions (so much more than any other couple), the total belief they can portray in their story telling, the humour, and of course the way they dance together with such obvious trust and enjoyment. Add to that their individual talent. Fumi has been off the scale in all 3 performances but tonight even more so. Will brings such musicality, grace, elegance and beautiful dancing, plus some fun and his acting skills are unique. 

I have loved that right at the end of Act 3, as they move to the table at the front of stage left, I have caught them exchanging what are clearly a few personal words to appreciate each other. A magical partnership. 

Thoroughly enjoyed everyone else's performances too, Hannah Grennell worked hard in dual soloist roles and of course we had James Hay's glorious Gamache.  Once again, I was also impressed with Tom Whitehead's DonQ. 

My main complaint remains - I still don't know how the horse's ears twitch. 

Finally, I think I spotted Will's real life partner, Andy Monaghan this evening during an interval but didn't have the courage to approach and ask. If you follow both on Instagram, you will see a flower theme so perhaps  we can possibly guess who sent Will his distinctive flowers?  

I'm now just trying to commit it all to memory because who knows when we will ever see the like again.  

I saw Andy Monaghan (twice) when I went to Will's first performance in October - once in Bow Street and the second time in the main foyer. I don't know whether he goes to all of Will's performances. Very sweet if he does.

• Like 1

I agree that Fumi’s performance last night was off the scale. Everyone else on sparkling form.

Whilst I also agree about the (sometimes confusing) doubling up of soloist roles, I think it is possible that at least some of this has been necessitated by illness or injury. For example, Philip Mosley was back as Sancho Panza last night when (reportedly) his last scheduled performance in the role was a fortnight ago.

Now looking forward to the cinema relay and to seeing those of you with tickets having your “night out with The King”.

• Like 5

Oh that’s a gorgeous piccie Rob S 

By the way just a quick flip to comment on Northern Ballet thread I have found a quick way to see your FlickR pics….I saw if you scroll down all those questions far enough you come to the usual thing you see “accept all”” “reject all”

So just did the “accept all”

for your pics …….even if this does allow the CIA or MI5 or whoever to see into phone lol! 

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

Now looking forward to the cinema relay and to seeing those of you with tickets having your “night out with The King”.

I'm also assuming that that's what's happening on Tuesday evening; but royalty have regularly come to performances without all this secrecy, so I'm also assuming that there's more to it than just that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I’m also assuming that that's what's happening on Tuesday evening; but royalty have regularly come to performances without all this secrecy, so I'm also assuming that there's more to it than just that.

But those have been private visits, not official ones by the Monarch.

It seems that a few people who originally bought tickets in the Grand Tier have been asked to move so …….!?!?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

Also, I do wish the cast sheet would give the names of all the matadors rather than just two (one of which changed in Act 3). So annoying as I spend half my time trying to work out who they all are.    

I think there are often different matadors in Act 3. I remember when David Donnelly first joined the Company, he posted that he was excited to be wearing a matador costume in Act 3. Last night I noticed that Caspar Lench was one of the Act 3 matadors. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I think there are often different matadors in Act 3. I remember when David Donnelly first joined the Company, he posted that he was excited to be wearing a matador costume in Act 3. Last night I noticed that Caspar Lench was one of the Act 3 matadors. 

Yes Caspar has been a matador in Act 3 a couple of times…I was wondering about that. Maybe that’s an example of how to give the younger cast members something  to do that is a little bit of a ‘stand out’ role.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, capybara said:

But those have been private visits, not official ones by the Monarch.

It seems that a few people who originally bought tickets in the Grand Tier have been asked to move so …….!?!?!

There have been quite a lot of royal Galas/performances attended by the monarch and announced in advance. I've even been to some of them. Maybe it's just because it will be this monarch's first attendance as monarch? Still not sure why his presence on its own would require such secrecy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bridiem said:

There have been quite a lot of royal Galas/performances attended by the monarch and announced in advance. I've even been to some of them. Maybe it's just because it will be this monarch's first attendance as monarch? Still not sure why his presence on its own would require such secrecy.

I dont know if Patrons through to Friends who purchased tickets before the evening was taken off-sale have been updated on the nature of the evening and, though maybe thought unnecessary, that is poor communication if it’s the case. 
However, the invited audience do know why they were invited. It’s no secret to them. 

Having not seen it since the Dress, I managed to squeeze in as well last night - a very handy spot popped up about 5.45. A gent from Bristol returned it when his friend couldn't come, making it into a donation.

Goodness me, it's polished. Not to say it wasn't previously, but it's .. so polished!

It's clearly also long, though the great thing is so many in the cast do get their moment in the spotlight. Moments, even.

Peak Fumi is like a force of nature.  I don't know what she has for breakfast or what's afoot in her private life but something is certainly working.

I have a quite strange experience with this production. It's the reverse of what used to be the case, which is that old Hollywood films of classics like this reminded me of a stage version, but now the staging is reminding me of old Hollywood films.  I suppose that means this is a very traditional version. Anyway, I won't see it in the cinema for fear of smoke coming out my ears.

Second helpings of this and the equally lovely Du Pre in the same week - even Charles and Camilla can't say that!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I dont know if Patrons through to Friends who purchased tickets before the evening was taken off-sale have been updated on the nature of the evening and, though maybe thought unnecessary, that is poor communication if it’s the case. 
However, the invited audience do know why they were invited. It’s no secret to them. 

Yes, that must be the case. But why not announce it, perhaps thereby encouraging ticket sales for the live screenings since it will make it an extra-special evening?

16 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Yes, that must be the case. But why not announce it, perhaps thereby encouraging ticket sales for the live screenings since it will make it an extra-special evening?

Perhaps it’s an event that means something to those invited but that isn’t of huge importance or interest to the public.

Edited by PeterS

5 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Perhaps it’s an event that means something to those invited but that isn’t of huge importance or interest to the public.

I meant the fact of the King's presence (if it is a fact!). But yes, maybe any other reason is not of wider interest. Who knows?! (Well, some people do, clearly!). Anyway I'm going to the live screening so no doubt all will become clear at some point.

I think it was the ROH saying how very excited they were about this evening (7th) and to watch this space as they make announcements in the coming weeks!!! 
Well it will be down to coming days now anyway. 
Richard LH …now that would be a “coup” and just about the only thing that could live up to these exciting expectations lol! 
Just an idea Prince George hasn’t got a sit on stage part has he …he used to be into ballet though that probably no longer the case! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

I am confused.  Why would the new King attending the ROH for a performance require a specially invited audience and lots of seats taken away?  He has been many times before, they don't usually do that.  I have been to the theatre on a couple of occasions, and the first any of us knew about a member of the royal family attending was when they walked in and the national anthem was played.  Is it purely because it is being filmed?  

5 hours ago, Sim said:

@Linnzi5 and @bridiem no need to apologise!  Always lovely to see you when you can get there.

@JennyTaylor Will’s flowers were from me, to congratulate him on an amazing debut run of Basilio.  ❤️

Being selfish, I was sorry not to see you all! I really enjoy meeting up. 😄

@Sim What a lovely gesture! His face was a picture! He couldn’t believe they were for him and then I saw him admiring them - they were absolutely beautiful flowers, just my cup of tea ! Such a kind thing to do! He looked so sweet and surprised. Lovely to witness.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I am confused.  Why would the new King attending the ROH for a performance require a specially invited audience and lots of seats taken away?  He has been many times before, they don't usually do that.  I have been to the theatre on a couple of occasions, and the first any of us knew about a member of the royal family attending was when they walked in and the national anthem was played.  Is it purely because it is being filmed?  

The King and Queen have been there when I was there and they attend in a private capacity when they are able to, I understand. Certainly, no fuss. I don’t understand the secrecy, personally. Very strange 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

The King and Queen have been there when I was there and they attend in a private capacity when they are able to, I understand. Certainly, no fuss. I don’t understand the secrecy, personally. Very strange 

The arrangements for official visits are kept very closely under wraps - maybe the more so now given current international circumstances.

• Like 2

Pure speculation on my part, but are there any names associated with Don Quixote?  I am thinking perhaps a very famous ballerina of the past?  I have absolutely no names in mind at all.

Alternatively, with this amount of fuss I don't think it would be Royalty, they tend to be very low key.  Possibly a President?  

I do love a bit of speculation.  :)

• Like 2