Birmingham Royal Ballet: Black Sabbath - The Ballet

The one exception on Trog’s list might be Duran Duran - iconic in their own way. I do think there’s potential for fusion of ballet with popular music. Interesting that Carlos Acosta brought Christopher Bruce’s Rooster, with it’s Rolling Stones soundtrack, to a potentially new audience in the UK with Acosta Danza just before he took up his post in Birmingham .

• Like 3

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Ondine said:

Is this not the purpose of this ballet?

I don't think it was ever about anything except getting in Black Sabbath fans (no not me, was never my thing back then) and hopefully filling a few big theatres (how about an arena?) and the coffers of BRB?  Also of course, masses of national publicity and local goodwill. A range of merch next?

He's not daft that Acosta bloke.

Now, what's needed is for Northern Ballet to come up with a crowd pleaser...

You are spot on with suggestion of an Arena venue for this type of ballet! Maximise the income where you can when you have the opportunity to cross pollinate as it were with rock fans who would generally frequent stadium type locations to see bands. I’ve not seen this (nor have tickets to…. am curious to see it but when I have to eek out limited budget & limited evenings out it was lower on wishlist I’m afraid) 

But I do congratulate anything that proves a commercial success & especially if bringing in new audiences who may well become future regular ballet goers…

To add…. Rambert definitely achieved this with recent Peaky Blinders;- I saw this in Southampton & it was pretty much a total full house with I reckon over 60% being non traditional dance audience members…. It was a bit like a comicon style evening with an awful lot dressed for the event! But it was respectful & genuinely enjoyed by all & I reckon many many new converts to dance as an option for entertainment! 

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Tix currently available for all dates at Sadlers Wells 

So it seems that 'sold out' didn't really mean 'sold out'?! (These aren't returns - I saw the other day that 'more tickets have been released'.)

Edited by bridiem
Sentence added
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't sure how I even landed back on this thread (I think I was just scrolling backwards?!) but I've managed to get my ticket for BlSTB now and hope I get a similar or almost similar cast of dancers to the premiere cast, fingers crossed no injuries, illnesses or emergencies.

A bit more than I'd usually spend but still less than if I'd had to see them in Birmingham or Plymouth, and I hope it will help towards the funding crisis they are facing after problems at the Council. Both thrilled and slightly disbelieving that I have a ticket to something with "Black Sabbath" in the  title ("If my friends could see me now"!) but am looking forward to this company extravaganza. Thanks to @PeterS and @bridiem whose posts alerted me!

NB Friday's has now sold out but a few returns might go back of course. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

I was there too! Yes, it was so joyful. I particularly loved the first act which built to a high octane finish.Who’d have thought Lachlan Monaghan could not only sing, but could sing and dance superbly at the same time! I really liked the score which did justice to the iconic Sabbath tracks. So many things to admire, which I will reflect on later. Great to see a packed house ( they rarely open the upper circle for ballet) and such a varied audience. What an inspired venture - so glad that Carlos Acosta is at the helm of BRB during these difficult times.

• Like 5

One of these days, @Odyssey, we will bump into each other!

I almost didn’t go to this, because having seen some of the rehearsal footage I thought “Hmmm….” and decided not to bother. The reviews then encouraged me to give it a go - by which time all the Plymouth performances were sold out! However I was lucky and managed to bag a return in the middle of the stalls for yesterday’s matinee.

It was an interestingly mixed audience - what I would describe as the ‘usual’ ballet crowd, plus quite a lot of teenagers and some who were plainly there for the Sabbath side of things! I also spotted a few people I knew there who would never normally go to a ballet, so that was quite encouraging to see.

Anyway - I was wowed by the whole thing, as was everyone there and they responded with enthusiasm and a full standing ovation at the end.

Act 1 was probably my favourite - very intense with great stage sets and effects. I wasn’t entirely sure about the guitarist (Marc Hayward) when he first came onstage (I felt it might have been veering towards slightly lame territory, plus he looked more like an escapee from the Ramones rather than Black Sabbath!), but as he was gradually absorbed into the dance action around him and relaxed into it himself, I thought it really worked. There was a gentle pas de deux between Yaoqian Shang and Javier Rojas that they performed entirely with their lips locked together in a kiss, which must be incredibly difficult to do. And Tzu-Chao Chou even performed a brief solo en pointe (he wasn’t half bad!). The end of the Act with Paranoid playing, and the dancers throwing themselves into tricks and their best moves - very appropriate in this case - just looked like SO MUCH FUN! I found it difficult to stay still in my seat and was almost tempted to indulge in a spot of head banging, but I fear that these days my head might fall off…. I wasn’t the only one as I could feel the row of seats bouncing as people jigged along and there was a bit of foot stamping too. As the curtain came down to huge applause, me and the older lady sitting next to me both simultaneously said “WOW!!” She explained to me resignedly that she had been subjected to a lot of Black Sabbath when her son was younger and had been intrigued to see what they had done with the concept. She was hugely impressed.

Act 2 was more subdued and introspective and the dancing seemed almost incidental to the voiceovers from Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Sharon Osbourne, but these kept the audience enthralled as they were variously interesting, funny or quite moving. Hearing about how Tony lost his finger tips in a factory accident and was told he might as well forget playing the guitar again, and from Ozzy about Sharon’s “tough love” (after a night of over-indulgence in various substances “Sharon, I think I’m dying.” “Well, die quietly - I have to be up at 9:00!” 😂) made for an absorbing Act. And Lachlan Monaghan can sing!

Act 3 was a fitting finale with the whole cast onstage and singing along with War Pigs - and finishing again with Paranoid, the dancers forgetting their training and just throwing themselves into dancing along as the mood took them, then throwing their t-shirts into the air on the final note. Superb, and just everyone onstage appearing to be having the time of their lives!

I am very glad I went. I would say it probably helps to know or recognise at least some of the songs used, but not necessary, and the orchestration worked very well. And all credit to Carlos Acosta for having the vision and courage to commission this. As a concept it could have all gone horribly wrong - but it turned out to be amazing.

Edited by Balletfanp
Typos
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A great review and I absolutely concur with your assessment. I would add that Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton were also pretty gorgeous in their pas de deux interludes in Acts2&3, and Celine particularly seemed to enjoy ‘letting her hair down’  in the final moments. I didn’t quite see the need for the devil atop an overturned car in Act3 to be constantly moved around the stage by the dancers, although this shiny metal presence was impressive. In fact the effective use of

light boxes and large discs that the dancers rolled across the stage were simple ideas that worked well. What a fun way to spend an afternoon.

• Like 3

How could I forget Celine and Tyrone? Yes, they were lovely. I know what you mean about the devil being moved around, I’m not sure I really saw the point of that. I suppose, if I had another mild criticism, it would be that some of the choreography became a bit repetitive at times - but these small niggles were more than compensated for by the sheer enjoyment and energy. An afternoon well spent!

• Like 4

An amazing evening, the cherry on a delicious cake being the surprise appearance at the end of Tony Iommi playing Paranoid!  I saw Sabbath at Madison Square Garden in 1973, then again in Geneva in 1977, so to see him again after all these years brought a lump to my throat!  

• Like 5

reminder that if you are interested in Rupert Christiansen's rather scathing review in the Spectator (see today's links) you can register for a couple of free articles a month 

45 minutes ago, bridiem said:

There's another thread for Black Sabbath at SW - zxDaveM's excellent review. Please could the mods either combine the threads or move the SW posts here to that thread?

Sorry for starting a new thread, was hoping to keep the Londoners responses in one place is all. (And with a review on top, rather than in the middle). Oh, and thanks for the kind words! 🙂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

Dave’s review is an official one, so we thought it should appear visible instead of way down the current thread.  

And very welcome it was too, especially as, knowing zero about the group and its music, I need that level of detail.

Is the Forum planning to designate other reviews as official in future?

We've done a number of "official" reviews in the past: it's just that normally they would have been rather more visible and closer to the top of a thread, rather than buried in the middle.  I dare say the threads may get merged in due course.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, capybara said:

And very welcome it was too, especially as, knowing zero about the group and its music, I need that level of detail.

Is the Forum planning to designate other reviews as official in future?

Yes, I (and Jan) have written several official reviews for the forum.  This is when we have been invited to do so by the relevant company.  My most recent one was for the Leonard Cohen ballet from Ballets Jazz de Montreal, and the next one will be for the Ballet Boyz next month.  

So we don’t randomly designate reviews as official. If we have been invited to review by the company, then we consider it as official and treat it as such.  

I hope that explains it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes, I (and Jan) have written several official reviews for the forum.  This is when we have been invited to do so by the relevant company.  My most recent one was for the Leonard Cohen ballet from Ballets Jazz de Montreal, and the next one will be for the Ballet Boyz next month.  

So we don’t randomly designate reviews as official. If we have been invited to review by the company, then we consider it as official and treat it as such.  

I hope that explains it. 

free tickets and press packs?

Edited by PeterS