Ballet Icons Gala March 17 2024

Tickets onsale from this morning.  All areas including Upper Balcony.

The Ballet Icons Gala returns to The London Coliseum on 17 March 2024.

This time the Ballet Icons Gala will bring its audience to the magical world of fairy tales, literature and real-life contemporary stories told through the dance. The Gala will showcase the art of storytelling. Be prepared to experience the most fascinating classical and contemporary choreography and some sparkling UK and world premieres.

The super powerful cast will again include participation by the world’s best known and multi-awarded ballet stars, principals of leading world ballet companies including the Royal Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, English National Ballet, Vienna State Ballet, Bavarian State Ballet, La Scala, Dutch National Ballet, Berlin State Ballet, Les Ballets de Monte Carlo, New York City Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, and San Francisco Ballet.

The Gala, which continues to be one of the world’s most talked about ballet events, will be accompanied by the English National Ballet Philharmonic Orchestra.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed the below: 

2024 Performers

Eleonora Abbagnato, ex-Paris Opera Ballet,  Matthew Ball, Royal Ballet, Sergio Bernal, National Ballet of Spain, Skylar Brandt, American Ballet Theatre, Bleuenn Battistoni, Paris Opera Ballet, António Casalinho, Bavarian State Ballet, Reece Clarke, Royal Ballet, Travis Clausen-Knight, Cesar Corrales, Royal Ballet, Margarita Fernandes, Bavarian State Ballet, Evelina Godunova, Polish National Ballet, Matthew Golding, Osiel Gouneo, Bavarian State Ballet, Francesca Hayward, Royal Ballet, Motomi Kiyota, Hungarian National Ballet, Sangeun Lee, English National Ballet, Gareth Haw, English National Ballet, Lucía Lacarra, Julian MacKay, Bavarian State Ballet, Vadim Muntagirov, Royal Ballet, Yasmine Naghdi, Royal Ballet, Marianela Nuñez, Royal Ballet, Anna Ol, Dutch National Ballet, Natalia Osipova, Royal Ballet, James Pett, Iana Salenko, Berlin State Ballet,  Marcelino Sambé, Royal Ballet, Polina Semionova, Berlin State Ballet, Olga Smirnova, Dutch National Ballet,  David Motta Soares, Berlin State Ballet, Jacopo Tissi, Dutch National Ballet.

(Cast subject to change)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

ah - the star of the show

As always with any live performance.

I’ve been to the Coliseum 6 times this past week and, if I’m right, only one of those performances had the advertised cast. And this was within a single Company.

Extrapolate that up and it must be a nightmare organising dancers from around the globe for a Gala that has to be promoted months in advance. Especially if their schedules are decided for them by other factors. And that’s not allowing for unforeseen injury or geo-political events.

• Like 2

Whilst it is always annoying when casts change - I remember Osipova and Smirnova being announced for 2023 and then not performing - this does at least given an indication of what is intended. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Any ideas of what might be performed? Presumably the Don Q/Corsaire PDDs and the like?

No details as yet but if past years are a guide then a joyful pot pourri, a tasty smorgasbord, a chocolate box of hard and soft centres. Some will delight, some less so according to personal tastes. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2

If past galas are anything to go by … it’s a mix of the traditional gala fare and newer contemporary works and also less often performed duets.  

Yes DQ and Corsaire .. and usually immaculately performed.   Iana Salenko and Nicoletta Manni have been especially impressive.

Last year some of the lesser seen classical delights were the Dream pdd (Hayward/Bracewell), Coppélia pdd (Nunez/Bracewell) and a Scarlett Chopin pdd (Khaniukova/Arrieta)

Annual highlights are Sergo Bernal’s Spanish and classical ballet fusions and Lucia Lacarra / Matthew Golding’s beautiful emotional classical pdd creations.  

in a previous year the heartbreaking Akram Khan Dust duet by Erina Takahasi and James Streeter was the highlight of the night for me.  

And yes sadly Osipova has had to cancel more than once due to injury and illness.  The one time I did see her perform it was a contemporary duet with Jason Kittelberger and she was excellent.  It’s not easy to build emotional content in just a few minutes. She can.   

• Like 4

I’m excited about many participants who are not regulars of the Icons gala in recent years particularly 

Semionova & Motta Soares (Berlin)

Brandt & Cornejo (ABT) 

Abbagnato & Battistoni (Paris)

and more from Munich and Amsterdam too.  

It seems quite a different mix this year, which for me is the point, to see dancers in UK without having to travel to their opera houses.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

Maybe I read this wrong but Lucia Lacarra is not with Bavarian State Ballet anymore since a couple years, and James Pett is not a dancer at Staatsballett Berlin. You can call me picky, ok. 😃

I think the format or layout might be coming up wrongly on your device, Sabine0308.... mine has no company names for the freelance artists (Lacarra, Pett, Golding etc). Eg Berlin State Ballet refers only to Iana Salenko. Where two dancers from the same company are appearing (eg Lee & Haw), they've listed the company twice- once per dancer. I've always enjoyed Lucia Lacarra's dancing (eg her Swan Lake with San Francisco Ballet) whether in classical  or contemporary work. James Pett has danced with Wayne McGregor's company as a freelance dancer and has also done choreography for other groups. Hmm, I might consider going this year.

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

Maybe I read this wrong but Lucia Lacarra is not with Bavarian State Ballet anymore since a couple years, and James Pett is not a dancer at Staatsballett Berlin. You can call me picky, ok. 😃

The dancers are listed in alphabetic order and if they are with a company that is listed after their name.  If there is no company after their name then they are free-lance.  I probably (but nit-pickers like @Sophoife and @Sim can correct me) would have used semi-colons.  For example:

Dancer A; Dancer B, Royal Ballet; Dancer C, Royal Ballet; and so on.

• Like 5

Not to worry, half or more of those artists probably won't be able to come so a new list will need compiling anyway.  😄 

I wonder if this is a good place to ask Ms Olga Balakleets to invite Marian Walter over as well (why is he not on the list?!!) to dance with his wife Iana Salenko. I'm not suggesting booting someone else out but to give her an extra slot. He's brilliant and they have both declared on social media that they're ready and available to come over to dance! 👍 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Not to worry, half or more of those artists probably won't be able to come so a new list will need compiling anyway.  😄 

I wonder if this is a good place to ask Ms Olga Balakleets to invite Marian Walter over as well (why is he not on the list?!!) to dance with his wife Iana Salenko. I'm not suggesting booting someone else out but to give her an extra slot. He's brilliant and they have both declared on social media that they're ready and available to come over to dance! 👍 

would be great to see these two in Onegin final pdd 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I probably (but nit-pickers like @Sophoife and @Sim can correct me) would have used semi-colons. 

A badge I wear with pride, Jan 🤣

I would probably have done the same as regards semi-colons.

#NitPickersNotSoAnonymous 😉

• Like 5

I don’t believe Travis Clausen Knight is with the Royal Ballet ( listed next to Corrales) so definitely some sort of semi colon needed there! 
I hope to get to this but can’t book until I know what the trains are doing that w/end with either engineering works …probably 80 per cent chance or Strikes 20 -30 percent chance!! 

16 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

The dancers are listed in alphabetic order and if they are with a company that is listed after their name.  If there is no company after their name then they are free-lance.  I probably (but nit-pickers like @Sophoife and @Sim can correct me) would have used semi-colons.  For example:

Dancer A; Dancer B, Royal Ballet; Dancer C, Royal Ballet; and so on.

Exactly how I would have listed the information as well @Jan McNulty

With regard to the writer being a foreigner, it has been my experience that they are usually much more accurate with their punctuation in English than many of the natives.  :)

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Sophoife said:

A badge I wear with pride, Jan 🤣

I would probably have done the same as regards semi-colons.

#NitPickersNotSoAnonymous 😉

I wear my badge with pride, too!!  You should wear one too, @Jan McNulty!  You are absolutely right.  For clarity, it should be dancer, company, semi colon;  dancer, company, semi colon;  etc. etc.  

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

New addition to this gala - Giorgi Potskhishvili, the 22 year old Principal at Dutch National Ballet.  From Georgia.  We have Elena Glurjidze to thank for discovering him and persuading him to take the ballet route.  His family are Georgian national folk dancers which is where he started.  

He is explosive and has huge personality on stage.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3P6YOKoW21/?igsh=MnE1bXN2MW02NWU4

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

Worth pointing out that the time article on Smirnova today - mostly discussing Dance for Ukraine II - confirms that Olga Smirnova will dancer with Tissi in this gala. 

only a few seats left showing at the Coliseum:

stalls x 1 £175

dress x 20 £120- £135

upper circle 3 x £90

whereas there are plenty available at all price ranges (£25 -£137) for the Palladium this Sunday.

https://ticketing.lwtheatres.co.uk/event/642?date=2024-02 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2

Indeed Fiona.  I note there was a complaint on the Ukraine Gala thread regarding high prices, also performances on Sundays.  I will reiterate that west end prices are just as high and can be higher and that Sunday is the best day for dancer availability.

Regarding comments about announced dancers not appearing, I will say that arranging these events is as difficult as herding cats.  People should bear in mind that dancers agree in good faith but may have to withdraw for a whole range of reasons beyond their control.  injuries, family illness, visa complications and withdrawal of permissions by company directors can all play a part.  A little understanding  would be in order.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, MAB said:

Indeed Fiona.  I note there was a complaint on the Ukraine Gala thread regarding high prices, also performances on Sundays.  I will reiterate that west end prices are just as high and can be higher and that Sunday is the best day for dancer availability.

Regarding comments about announced dancers not appearing, I will say that arranging these events is as difficult as herding cats.  People should bear in mind that dancers agree in good faith but may have to withdraw for a whole range of reasons beyond their control.  injuries, family illness, visa complications and withdrawal of permissions by company directors can all play a part.  A little understanding  would be in order.

I always view this type of gala as a bit like a lucky dip or tombola.  You may or may not get the prize (i.e. dancer) you wanted, but part of the fun is waiting to see what you do get.  I've got a ticket for this one and am looking forward to it.  I have hopes for seeing particular dancers (Vadim - because he pleases me the most of all the current dancers) but sometimes you discover someone you weren't aware of or see a partnership you didn't know and that's nice too.

Like most people I have to make choices with money and prices are high for this gala (especially as I usually need travel and a hotel).  I booked this one before knowing about the Ukraine one and can't afford both.  Sometimes life is like that.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can’t find anywhere a complete list of performers and the programme. Am I missing something or do the organisers not publish it and so we just have the bits above that forum members have found online. 

33 minutes ago, annamk said:

I can’t find anywhere a complete list of performers and the programme. Am I missing something or do the organisers not publish it and so we just have the bits above that forum members have found online. 

The performers and their rep. usually remain ‘fluid’ until the night itself.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anna Ol (Dutch National) will definitely not be appearing.  She was on the list but has an injury and will be out for many months.  Her honesty on her Instagram posts is refreshing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, capybara said:

The performers and their rep. usually remain ‘fluid’ until the night itself.

And there also have been occasional very last minute changes due to illness, injury, visas, delayed flights …

Part of the delight for me is finding out the participants and repertoire when arriving and getting the programme. 

These are all top quality dancers, even the substitutions! 

I go for the chance to see dancers who don’t usually perform in UK.

I don’t tend to travel abroad for galas.  Though I do travel for a few full length shows … to better appreciate artistry and the challenges of those roles and different repertoire.  

• Like 2