Ballet Icons Gala March 17 2024

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, alison said:

Isn't this the woman who two years ago danced in a gala (the Ukraine one?) shortly after doing Swan Lake?

and that was the same day!  

Superstar 🌟

• Like 5

Esmeralda pdd by Antonio Caslinho and Margarita Fernandes (on her Instagram story)

These young soloists (only 20 and 18 respectively) have recently performed the lead roles of Alice and Jack in Christopher Wheeldon’s Alice in Munich.  I should think they were fabulous in that full length ballet.  They previously performed the Esmeralda pdd at a Roberto Bolle show. 

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 1

@PeterS that would be a surprise.  

I think his insta story about that ballet is related to Angel Corella, not himself.  (Angel’s company Philadelphia Ballet is performing it). 

Perhaps Sangeun Lee and Gareth Haw will perform that pdd … as they did at Ballet Nights. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FionaM said:

@PeterS that would be a surprise.  

I think his insta story about that ballet is related to Angel Corella, not himself.  (Angel’s company Philadelphia Ballet is performing it). 

Perhaps Sangeun Lee and Gareth Haw will perform that pdd … as they did at Ballet Nights. 

I may have gotten confused as Gareth & Sangeun are scheduled to dance too.

• Like 1

While this substitution is great news as far as I’m concerned, one’s mind can only boggle at what dancers put themselves through to deliver galas like this.

It must be many years since Vadim last danced Diamonds; Olga Smirnova will doubtless be jetting in late today earliest (have they danced together before - at all?); the programme will also need to be rehearsed tomorrow ahead of the show itself; some artists (now including Vadim, it seems) are performing more than one piece with different partners; then they all have to put on a show worthy of ballet at its highest level from 7.00pm.

How do they do it - and, as far as the RB dancers at least are concerned, all in the midst of preparations for the upcoming mixed bill?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, capybara said:

While this substitution is great news as far as I’m concerned, one’s mind can only boggle at what dancers put themselves through to deliver galas like this.

It must be many years since Vadim last danced Diamonds; Olga Smirnova will doubtless be jetting in late today earliest (have they danced together before - at all?); the programme will also need to be rehearsed tomorrow ahead of the show itself; some artists (now including Vadim, it seems) are performing more than one piece with different partners; then they all have to put on a show worthy of ballet at its highest level from 7.00pm.

How do they do it - and, as far as the RB dancers at least are concerned, all in the midst of preparations for the upcoming mixed bill?

I believe Smirnova and Muntagirov danced together as guest artists at Mariinsky Ballet over 8 years ago in a full length classic- can't remember if it was La Bayadere, Sleeping Beauty or Swan Lake or whatever....I wasn't there (but saw it listed and subsequently written about on their company page) and the website is difficult to get access for historical info nowadays.

They definitely danced together as Nikiya and Solor in ABT's La Bayadere in 2014 (it's on Bachtrack.) Even so, that's a long time ago.

She could have flown in in advance for some extra practice (yesterday?) - some dancers like to and can afford to. I'm informed by a few who have  photographed the show that there's always a dress rehearsal/run through on the afternoon of the show which serves as a photo call as well

What would be nice is if the organisers were more forthcoming about the artists who have definitely pulled out, instead of leaving the website and social media pages with all the names that have confirmed even if one or two aren't going.

I notice that it recent years it is starting to look more and more like "Royal Ballet Stars and Friends" (Fumi Kaneko has also been added as a late addition/replacement for someone in addition to other RB principals who are already on the bill.) That's fine, as the RB dancers put in great performances but at least be more accurate. 

I know the organiser can't avoid or announce last minute injuries, illnesses and travel/visa crises in advance, but there are a number that aren't last minute. Still, I know that hasn't deterred many, many attendees willing to shell out a lot for surprise casting and programming, and it's sold out bar the occasional return or two  😉

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

I think Vadim did dance with Smirnova in Bayadere (there’s footage on YouTube somewhere) when they both guested with ABT - but that was many years ago (Vadim can’t have been older than 21 or 22 then). It won’t help him now!!

But if anyone can pull it off with aplomb, those two can!

Edited by Balletfanp
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, TSR101 said:

Olga Smirnova has updated her website. 

It now says she will be doing the Diamonds Pas de Deux ... with Vadim. 

Oh that's going to be something special I hope.  I will really enjoy that.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2024 at 14:22, FionaM said:

I see Vadim rehearsing the solo from Grand Pas Classique on his Instagram story.  This lovely pdd is not often seen in the UK.  

I’m now hoping that he and Fumi Kaneko are performing it at this year’s Icons gala, as they have done it together elsewhere.  

Fumi has just confirmed this on Instagram!

• Like 3

I don’t know how up to date this is, it was posted on IG this afternoon:

Ballet Icons Gala

2024 Performers

Eleonora Abbagnato, ex-Paris Opera Ballet, Matthew Ball, Royal Ballet, Sergio Bernal,

National Ballet of Spain, Skylar Brandt, American Ballet Theatre, Bleuenn Battistoni, Paris Opera Ballet, António Casalinho, Bavarian

State Ballet, Reece Clarke, Royal Ballet, Travis

Clausen-Knight, Cesar Corrales, Royal Ballet, Margarita Fernandes, Bavarian State Ballet, Evelina Godunova, Polish National Ballet, Matthew Golding, Osiel Gouneo, Bavarian

State Ballet, Francesca Hayward, Royal Ballet,

Motomi Kiyota, Hungarian National Ballet,

Sangeun Lee, English National Ballet, Gareth

Haw, English National Ballet, Lucia Lacarra, Julian MacKay, Bavarian State Ballet, Vadim

Muntagirov, Royal Ballet, Yasmine Naghdi, Royal Ballet, Marianela Nuñez, Royal Ballet,

Anna Ol, Dutch National Ballet, Natalia

Osipova, Royal Ballet, James Pett, lana Salenko, Berlin State Ballet, Marcelino Sambé, Royal Ballet, Polina Semionova, Berlin State Ballet, Olga Smirnova, Dutch National Ballet,

David Motta Soares, Berlin State Ballet, Jacopo Tissi, Dutch National Ballet.

(Cast subject to change)

London Coliseum

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I don’t know how up to date this is, it was posted on IG this afternoon:

Ballet Icons Gala

2024 Performers

Eleonora Abbagnato, ex-Paris Opera Ballet, Matthew Ball, Royal Ballet, Sergio Bernal,

National Ballet of Spain, Skylar Brandt, American Ballet Theatre, Bleuenn Battistoni, Paris Opera Ballet, António Casalinho, Bavarian

State Ballet, Reece Clarke, Royal Ballet, Travis

Clausen-Knight, Cesar Corrales, Royal Ballet, Margarita Fernandes, Bavarian State Ballet, Evelina Godunova, Polish National Ballet, Matthew Golding, Osiel Gouneo, Bavarian

State Ballet, Francesca Hayward, Royal Ballet,

Motomi Kiyota, Hungarian National Ballet,

Sangeun Lee, English National Ballet, Gareth

Haw, English National Ballet, Lucia Lacarra, Julian MacKay, Bavarian State Ballet, Vadim

Muntagirov, Royal Ballet, Yasmine Naghdi, Royal Ballet, Marianela Nuñez, Royal Ballet,

Anna Ol, Dutch National Ballet, Natalia

Osipova, Royal Ballet, James Pett, lana Salenko, Berlin State Ballet, Marcelino Sambé, Royal Ballet, Polina Semionova, Berlin State Ballet, Olga Smirnova, Dutch National Ballet,

David Motta Soares, Berlin State Ballet, Jacopo Tissi, Dutch National Ballet.

(Cast subject to change)

London Coliseum

This is definitely not up to date. It is just the original potential cast from several months ago. 

It's missing late attendees like Bolle, Potskhishvili and Kaneko. It has people we know are injured such as Ol and Tissi was down to do a performance with Smirnova and has been replaced so I am guessing won't be performing. There are also people like Semionova for which nothing has been said for some months. I haven't seen anything from Nunez either to suggest she will be there.

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Emeralds said:

What would be nice is if the organisers were more forthcoming about the artists who have definitely pulled out, instead of leaving the website and social media pages with all the names that have confirmed even if one or two aren't going.

I notice that it recent years it is starting to look more and more like "Royal Ballet Stars and Friends" (Fumi Kaneko has also been added as a late addition/replacement for someone in addition to other RB principals who are already on the bill.) That's fine, as the RB dancers put in great performances but at least be more accurate. 

I so agree with this. It's not even like they are trying to sell tickets, they are already sold. 

The people I have seen who have confirmed themselves are: 

- Vadim Muntagirov

- Fumi Kaneko

- Julian Mackay

- Olga Smirnova

- Sergio Bernal

Eleonora Abbagnato

- Osiel Gouneo

- Yasmine Naghdi 

- Roberto Bolle

- Margarita Fernandes

- Antonio Casalinho 

- Syklar Brandt 

- Bleuenn Battistoni 

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TSR101 said:

This is definitely not up to date. It is just the original potential cast from several months ago. 

When I messaged the organisers via IG two days ago they directed me to the Coliseum website which didn’t have any dancer information on it. 
Seems like the social media chimps don’t have a clue.

In conversation with another human last night I learned that casting had yet to be finalised along with the running order.

It’s unusual to have anyone performing twice at the Icons gala.  I assume it’s Vadim to the rescue here … Diamonds with Smirnova, and, Grand Pas Classique with Kaneko.  Bravo, and lucky us in the audience. 

My concerns about galas in general is that there is often very limited rehearsal time of these last minute pairings, and it often shows.  Though I suspect Vadim and Olga are such proficient dancers that this may not be the case. 

As a related tangent, there was a gala in Japan in December last year where Alina Cojocaru volunteered to replace an injured colleague to perform this same Diamonds pdd.  She had one night to remind herself of the choreo … last performed 12 years prior … and one rehearsal with a new partner, Jakob Feyferlik.  Sometimes the organisers and dancers have to take risks! 

Edited by FionaM
Typos
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FionaM said:

It’s unusual to have anyone performing twice at the Ivons gala.  I assume it’s Vadim to the rescue here … Diamonds with Smirnova and Grand Pas Classique with Kaneko.  Bravo, and lucky us in the audience. 

My concerns about galas in general is that there is often very limited rehearsal time of these last minute pairings, and it often shows.  Though I suspect Vadim and Olga are such proficient dancers that this may not be the case. 

As a related tangent, there was a gala in Japan in December last year where Alina Cojocaru volunteered to replace an injured colleague to perform this same Diamonds pdd.  She had one night to remind herself of the choreo … last performed 12 years prior … and one rehearsal with a new partner, Jakob Feyferlik.  Sometimes the organisers and dancers have to take risks! 

Vadim is definitely worth seeing twice I agree.  I mean I could watch him dance or teach all day and be happy.

I agree limited rehearsal time can be a risk but sometimes it works and can be rewarding.  I also really like seeing pairings you don't usually see and people from different companies dancing together.  So I'm really excited about the mystery programme for tomorrow.  

• Like 2

Sangeun Lee says in her Instagram story that she performs… In the middle, Somewhat Elevated with Gareth Haw

and there is also a clip of them performing it.  Extraordinary 

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 2

Motomi Kiyota from Hungarian National Ballet has also arrived for the gala.   

It seems to me there are a large number of virtuoso male dancers! 

He appears to be with Evelina Godunova (previously Berlin State, now freelance?) 

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, FionaM said:

Motomi Kiyota from Hungarian National Ballet has also arrived for the gala.   

It seems to me there are a large number of virtuoso male dancers! 

He appears to be with Evelina Godunova (previously Berlin State, now freelance?) 

Evelina Godunova currently works in the ballet company of the National Theater in Warsaw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TSR101 said:

Natalia Osipova is dancing with Giorgi Potskhishvili tomorrow... interesting

dancersdiary reveals its Don Q.  

I’m sure it’ll be highly entertaining and have huge wow factor from both of them.  

As long as you don’t expect pure, clean or neat classical ballet technique from either.  I can already see Osipova’s raised shoulders and bent knees in the video (!)  Giorgi's training was initially Georgian folk dancing (family business), so he came late to ballet training.  

• Like 2