News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

21 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Oh crikey, and one that both browsers I've tried are struggling with :(

It works fine for me with Chrome.  Sadly my sunglassed are downstairs otherwise I'd have put them on to navigate the website!

• Like 4

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrgh...this is worse than the Staatsballett Berlin's yellow/pink stuff which was a pain in the eye during Waltz/Oehman times.  What's more important is a smooth and working navigation for a website, not color blocking.😨

• Like 1

On 25/05/2021 at 18:04, Angela said:

Anna, I've seen her some ten years ago with Thiago Bordin, a wonderful couple! I especially remember her wedding pdd which was beautiful, so warm and tender and full of love - what she makes of every pas de deux, even if there was no love in it before... Forgive me if I dream a little about the older casts in this ballet (the Bubeniceks! Riabko! Azzoni! Ivan Urban!), I've not seen the recent performances. I can't imagine Anna Laudere in the role, she lacks any warmth and tenderness, but Revazov is huge and a fine partner, so it should work for the difficult lifts.

It IS one of Neumeier's best ballets and we should be happy to finally have a recording.

oooohhhh, I miss so much Thiago Bordin!!! Wonderful artist and lovely person. He and Riabko were for me the Golden Age of the company, what a personal tragedy I had when he moved to The Netherlands. 🙂 I saw him dancing Midsummer Night's Dream with Bouchet and Cojocaru (yes, it was exactly 10 years ago february 28th 2011, Alina made her debut -her first Neumeier full lenght-  the year before in Copnehagen with Royal Danish Ballet): a marvelous Theseus/Oberon, but I rememember also his Armand and Othello, and he still is my favourite Lensky (sure you have seen many other great ones in this role 🙂 ).

On 31/05/2021 at 19:27, Angela said:

Hamburg Ballet's next season - download here

- John Neumeier revives his Sleeping Beauty from 1978, with refreshed sets and costumes by Jürgen Rose

- Hamburg premiere of Christopher Wheeldon: The Winter's Tale

- revivals of Neumeier's Sylvia and Liliom

Tours to Vienna, Baden-Baden, Los Angeles and Tarbes

Cojocaru remains guest artist

A rich season, but with very few shows for each ballet: it seems there are 3 casts rehearsing for Sylvia and just 4 shows in September (3 more the next year), only 3 shows for Winter's Tale...

I wonder if dancers will have have enough space to try different things.

I'd love to see Riabko more on stage, but also some younger are interesting: Bellussi, Evans (3 years ago I would have never expected to inlcude his name in my list), Frola, Martinez, Paquet...I heard good things about the new Kilpinen and I hope Azatyan will be still in the company and in good health!

Among the women, Azzoni has now a different role, but she is still the artistic top for me; I hope to see againg Heylmann fireworks of enthusiasm and among the young, I'd love to see if Larzelere will confirm herself; not very young but I had very good reports about Yun-Su Park. And Cojocaru 😍, of course (but not at any "cast-cost").

So, not a Golden Age, as I was writing in the other post, but a company that seems to have ist quality on the rise again.

Still some Neumeier's casting strategies are very very far from my taste, so at the moment the only thing I am really looking forward with full confidence to not come out with a post show gastritis is Die Glassmanagerie first cast 😄

Just a curiosity for most of us, I am afraid (considering the ticket selling strategy and pricing), anyway here the link to the program of the double Nijinsky Gala in Hamburg, on June 25th:

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/news/nijinsky_gala_2021.php

to be noted that Alina Cojocaru should dance excerpt from The Glass Managerie and I think this should be her return on stage, after the many things that happened to all of us and her espscially (the birth of her second daughter 🙂 ) since the 23rd of February 2020...

Other guests, including the lovely Ida Praetorius, are coming from the Royal Danish Ballet.

Edited by annamicro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, annamicro said:

He and Riabko were for me the Golden Age of the company,

Well, there was a time before, when Neumeier had Ivan Liska and the Bubenicek twins and Ivan Urban and Heather Jurgensen, he created so many beautiful roles on them. Yes, Riabko, Azzoni and Bordin were the second golden generation, but honestly, I can't see a single dancer nowadays whom I really love, who would make me go and see any performance just for her or him. I don't know when Neumeier lost his good eye for dramatic dancers, must have been some ten years ago. Cojocaru is the only light. 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2021 at 17:37, Angela said:

Well, there was a time before, when Neumeier had Ivan Liska and the Bubenicek twins and Ivan Urban and Heather Jurgensen, he created so many beautiful roles on them. Yes, Riabko, Azzoni and Bordin were the second golden generation, but honestly, I can't see a single dancer nowadays whom I really love, who would make me go and see any performance just for her or him. I don't know when Neumeier lost his good eye for dramatic dancers, must have been some ten years ago. Cojocaru is the only light. 

yes, I wrote "for me" because I went to Hamburg for the fist time in 2009. Another dancer of the previous glorious time that I love is Lloyd Riggins: every moment he is still spending on stage is a gem, to me.

I think the company has slightly improved from a recent period when Jung, Revazov, Trusch and the previous version of Evans were dancing almost everything.

I am sure you are delighted as I was 😂 to know that Jung was recently on stage with Alessandra Ferri, so he is still around.

Cojocaru may be the only light, but, even if she is always a pleasure to watch, not always Neumeier gives her the chance to really shine as she can (or as I know I can expect from her). I am not sure that the splendid Die Glassmanagerie he created for her and with her is enough for me to forgive him for some obnoxious casting ...😫

If I remember well, you didn't see Die Glassmanagerie in the previous run: If you can, do not miss it this year!

Four premieres plus an extensive fringe programme
Season 2021/22: Ballet for all!

Berlin, 18 June 2021 --- This morning, the Staatsballett Berlin released its 2021/22 season programme. In addition to four premieres by established and up-and-coming choreographers, new fringe events as well as a mentorship programme for Berlin dancers were announced.

The first premiere of the season, DAWSON, boasts two works by the renowned choreographer David Dawson at the Deutsche Oper Berlin on 26 September 2021. Created during the pandemic, VOICES comprises 14 dancers who explore the universal quality of human existence, accompanied by Max Richter’s eponymous music. The solo piece CITIZEN NOWHERE completes the double bill.

With SYM-PHONIE 2020 at the Staatsoper Unter den Linden on 13 March 2022, Sasha Waltz premieres a new work for dance and music with the Staatsballett Berlin, featuring original ballet music by contemporary composer Georg Friedrich Haas. Marcia Haydee's SLEEPING BEAUTY revels in fairytale opulence including new costume and stage designs by Jordi Roig at the Deutsche Oper Berlin on 13 May 2022. Finally, LAB_WORKS 2022 features the young Fellows of the Mentorship Programme together with the ensemble at the Komische Oper on 26 May 2022.

Víctor Ullate's version of DON QUIXOTE marks one of this year's major revivals with complete stage set for the first time and a variety of different casts at the Deutsche Oper Berlin on 3 December 2021. John Cranko's ONEGIN, George Balanchine's JEWELS, Patrice Bart's SCHWANENSEE and the double bill FORSYTHE | EYAL including THE SECOND DETAIL and STRONG is also part of next season's programme, a wide-ranging arc of great stylistic diversity; an invitation to examine established ballet tradition.

In order to bring the art form of ballet even closer to the audience, the company offers insights into the work behind the scenes through a variety of fringe events. At the Deutsche Oper Berlin and the Staatsoper Unter den Linden, the curtain rises for BALLET CLASSES UP CLOSE, so everyone can catch a glimpse behind the scenes of everyday life at the Staatsballett studios; the essential foundation of the dancers' art which they master so skilfully. INTRODUCTORY MATINEES before premieres, for which the entire artistic team gathers, provide audiences with unique insights which are normally unveiled through personal exchange with the entire team only. In addition, the Staatsballett Berlin opens up the debate and questions historic ballet performance practices with BALLET FOR FUTURE? WE HAVE TO TALK!, together with the audience, dancers, critics, activists and academics alike.

On top, the Staatsballett Berlin offers 12 alumni of the Staatliche Ballett- und Artistikschule Berlin to participate in the Enhance Mentorship Programme. Based on their completed training, the programme is a bridge between school life and professional life, including morning classes, cognition, health aspects and one-on-one mentoring sessions.

Dr. Christiane Theobald, acting artistic director of the Staatsballett Berlin, is looking forward to a varied season:

"A season full of new impulses lies ahead of us! We want to make ballet accessible to as many people as possible which is why we have significantly expanded our fringe programme on top of our long-awaited premieres.

I am particularly pleased with the overwhelming female force, not only manifesting through our premiere choreographers Sasha Waltz and Marcia Haydée, but also through Alondra de la Parra and Alevtina Ioffe at the baton."

• Like 3

Stuttgart Ballet announces a new, comical work by Johan Inger, it will be part of a triple bill by Inger with "Out of Breath" and "Bliss". The choreographers for "Creations VII-X" at the Playhouse will be confirmed soon. And the rest is repertoire: lots of performances of Onegin, The Taming of the Shrew (with the DVD recording that had been planned for 2020), Mayerling, Haydée's Sleeping Beauty, New/Works, Angels and Demons and Beethoven Ballets.

AD Tamas Detrich said his dancers need to dance the classics and the dramatic repertoire again after such a long break. 

Promotions: Rocio Aleman and Marti Fernandez Paixa to Principals; Mackenzie Brown, Henrik Erikson, Gabriel Figueredo and Alessandro Giaquinto to demi-soloists. More promotions to follow during the season, Detrich announced.

Edward Clug and designer Jürgen Rose are working on a new Nutcracker, something that Stuttgart has not had for 50 years - only in a small-scale production at the Chamber Theatre by Marco Goecke. The last Nutcracker on the main stage was by Cranko and was never restaged after his death. 

Link will follow later.

• Like 3

I forgot: They announce a tour to Tokio in March 2022, with Onegin and Sleeping Beauty.

The John Cranko School will be 50 years old on December 1st, 2021 - a gala is announced for the occasion.

• Like 1

Some bad news that are not about the virus, for a change: Stuttgart was hit by a huge thunderstorm yesterday, and parts of the roof of the opera house are gone, even one of the statues on the roof. It's not sure at the moment if performances can go on because there was water on the stage. 

3540424_default-artikel_1wSIWE_N9IPIH.jp

Oh no! Have you received a cancellation, Angela? I haven't heard anything thus far and was hoping that might be a good sign... For the second time I managed to get front row seats for this and for the second time I've been frustrated ... first time by what they called the "lock-down light" and now the thunderstorm. It is much worse, of course, for the artist(s), though.

• Like 1

OK, I just heard it on the local news... the premiere has been postponed until Saturday. It's sad to loose two performances, of course, but still better than loosing all three Boleros with Friedemann Vogel and the whole wonderful rest of the programme. Let's just hope that the water does not wreak more havoc on the opera house in the meantime.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Joiners, Leavers and Promotions at Bavarian State Ballet:

Jinhao Zhang was promoted to Principal.

Margarita Grechanaia and Shale Wagman were promotod to Soloists.

Principal Alexey Popov leaves for Vienna State Ballet, Navrin Turnbull (who came from Vienna one year go) leaves for a Soloist position at La Scala di Milano, joining his former boss Manuel Legris there. Nicholas Losada joins Tanztheater Wuppertal. Antonia McAuley, Jana Nenadović, Alexandra Somova and Evgenii Kuznetsov leave the company.

From the Mariinsky Ballet, Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova joins as First Soloist.  António Casalinho und Margarita Fernandes from Portugal join as Soloists. Laura Orsi, Phoebe Schembri and Isabella Wagar join the corps de ballet.

• Like 3

Thank you for this news.  Many congratulations to Jinhao Zhang on his promotion!

And finally news of the employment of Antonio Casalinho!

He and Margarita Fernandez both joining as soloists is a surprise.   That’s somewhat extraordinary … and questions Shale Wagman’s time in corps de ballet first at both ENB and Munich.   Bravo to Igor Zelensky for making exceptions.

@Angela where can I find a link to this announcement?

Edited by FionaE
Clarification

There's certainly no need to "defend" Shale Wagman, just this much about Munich: he was hired at a time when literally no company was hiring new dancers (headline: Corona). And further, his promotion after only one performance speaks for itself😀. I'm curious about Antonio. As I read in an interview, the Royal Ballet London was his 1st choice, but new contracts are probably still not given there because of Corona. Let's see how long he stays in Munich.

We will never know, but perhaps Antonio and Margharita didn't want to enter a company at the apprentice or artist levels. They certainly travelled to a number of companies recently (see their and their teacher's Instagram pages).

• Like 1

At Stuttgart Ballet, the contract of Artistic Director Tamas Detrich has been extended for a further five years until 2028. He was appointed in 2018, following Reid Anderson.

• Like 1