News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

News from Stuttgart: Agnes Su, born in California, has been promoted to principal dancer yesterday evening after a gorgeous debut as Tatiana in Cranko's Onegin. Principal dancer Roman Novitzky will change his career from principal dancer to Artist in Residence from next season on, working as photographer, choreographer and character dancer.

Edited by Angela
forgot one word
  • Like 5

Casting news from Hamburg: Ida Praetorius and Alexandr Trusch will be the main cast for John Neumeier's new version of his old "Sleeping Beauty", premiere on Dec 19th. Praetorius, who joins Hamburg Ballet from January 2022 as Principal Dancer, replaces Alina Cojocaru who should have danced Aurora, but she is injured.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Angela said:

replaces Alina Cojocaru who should have danced Aurora, but she is injured.

Thank you for this news.

Alina has performed Glass Menagerie full length and in the adapted shoe for Laura’s limp on 3, 6, 11 and most recently on Sunday 14 November.  On that day she also participated in a public onstage workshop. 

However most Sleeping Beauty’s involve those balances, hopping on pointe and long pure classical solos and that’s quite different physical demands than a narrative ballet.  I assume Neumeier’s Sleeping Beauty is similarly challenging.

Maybe Aurora is a step too far if not fully recovered.  

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

However most Sleeping Beauty’s involve those balances, hopping on pointe and long pure classical solos and that’s quite different physical demands than a narrative ballet.  I assume Neumeier’s Sleeping Beauty is similarly challenging.

Maybe Aurora is a step too far if not fully recovered.  

My guess is that being Juliet on 1st December is Alina’s absolute priority.

31 minutes ago, capybara said:

My guess is that being Juliet on 1st December is Alina’s absolute priority.

agree… it’s a special event in many ways, but particularly as it’s Johan’s choreography for her.  My feeling from the premiere was of a love letter from him for her.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Angela said:

Casting news from Hamburg: Ida Praetorius and Alexandr Trusch will be the main cast for John Neumeier's new version of his old "Sleeping Beauty", premiere on Dec 19th. Praetorius, who joins Hamburg Ballet from January 2022 as Principal Dancer, replaces Alina Cojocaru who should have danced Aurora, but she is injured.

Is there an official communication, Angela? I had the news from friends in Hamburg, but I cannot find any info. 

The wording of a press release could be interesting, because I already knew she was not going to dance the premiere, to have a longer recovery.

Anyway to have her sharing the stage with Trusch is so depressing to me that I must confess I am somehow relieved: I definitely was not going to see those shows.

She looked in excellent shape in Glassmanagerie.

Edited by annamicro

Ida Praetorius und Alexandr Trusch tanzen das Hauptpaar in John Neumeiers Neufassung von „Dornröschen“ (Premiere 19.12.)

John Neumeier vertraut das Hauptpaar Aurora und Prinz Desiré in der Premiere seiner Neufassung von „Dornröschen“ Ida Praetorius und Alexandr Trusch an. Ursprünglich war Alina Cojocaru für die weibliche Hauptrolle der Aurora vorgesehen. Sie musste aber wegen einer Verletzung absagen.

Ida Praetorius, Principal Dancer des Königlich-Dänischen Ballett, wechselt ab Januar 2022 als Erste Solistin zum Hamburg Ballett. Auf Wunsch von John Neumeier kommt sie nun als Gast nach Hamburg, um die anspruchsvolle Rolle der Aurora für die Premiere am 19. Dezember einzustudieren.

Für Ida Praetorius und Alexandr Trusch kreierte John Neumeier im Januar 2020 den Pas de deux „Persistent Persuasion“, der anlässlich des 100-jährigen Jubiläums der friedlichen deutsch-dänischen Grenzfestlegung entstand. Zuletzt war Ida Praetorius im vergangenen Juni bei der Nijinsky-Gala XLVI in der Hamburgischen Staatsoper zu erleben.

cid:7C16EB30-4170-4B1E-9B83-84FA86E688A6@home

• Like 2

On 16/11/2021 at 14:05, Angela said:

Full casting now on line

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/schedule/

Christopher Wheeldon's Cinderella has finally its premiere at Bayerisches Staatsballett Munich tomorrow. Cast for the premiere night is the same for November 21:

Cinderella- Madison Young

Prince Guillaume-Jinhao Zhang

Stepmother-Prisca Zeisel

Edwina-Elvina Ibraimova

Clementine-Bianca Teixeira

Benjamin- Jonah Cook

Solo Spring- Marina Duarte

Solo Summer- Shale Wagman

Solo Autumn- Antonio Casalinho

Solo Winter- Kristina Lind

Then cast will change, hopefully with some surprises 😉.

There will also be a livestream for free in December, from their website:

The livestream for Cinderella will take place on Friday 3/12/2021 at www.staatsoper.tv.
The recording will be made available as free video-on-demand for 24 hours from 12 noon on Sunday, 5.12.2021.

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 5

Berlin State Ballet published the casting for DQ in a version by Victor Ullate:

Yolanda Correa and Dinu Tamazlacaru will dance the premiere, further casts are Evelina Godunova, Ksenia Ovsyanick, Iana Salenko and Aya Okumura as Kitri, Daniil Simkin and Murilo de Oliveira as Basil.

https://www.staatsballett-berlin.de/en/spielplan/don-quixote/03-12-2021/1332

• Like 1

Arrgh....here we go again:

Bavarian Staatsballett cancels tickets:

"Due to an announcement made by the Bavarian State Government on 19. November 21 regarding the tightening of the Corona measures, we are forced to cancel all tickets purchased for events at the Bayerische Staatsoper from 24. November to 15. December 2021 inclusive. We very much regret this development, over which we had no control. Ticket purchasers do not need to do anything further: the tickets will be automatically cancelled and refunded. Tickets for events up to 23 November 2021 remain valid, subject to the 2G rule (vaccinated or recovered).

When a new regulation comes into force, which is currently expected in the middle of next week, the permissible number of visitors inside for events at the National Theatre will have to be reduced to 525. The team at the Bayerische Staatsopera is working flat out to make it possible for you to attend a performance again as quickly as possible within the framework of the legal possibilities - then under 2G+ regulations  (vaccinated or recovered, incl. negative antigen test). You can expect to find out more next Tuesday at www.staatsoper.de."

I am so sorry for the entire team. All the wonderful effort that was put into "Cinderella"...I hope they can continue to show it, but this will be ruinous.

😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Thanks 1

The Pina Bausch Foundation presents a new Online Archive of her works to discover the choreographer and her work with films, photos and original documents. The new website launched yesterday, now materials from the extensive Pina Bausch archive are accessible online for the first time.

With the launch, materials for three pieces went online: "Fritz" (1974), "Café Müller" (1978) and "Palermo Palermo" (1989). With the help of original sources such as photos, films, costumes and programs, visitors can immerse themselves in the cosmos of the choreographer and dancer Pina Bausch (1940 - 2009). The film series of the Pina Bausch Editions is being expanded to include a film version of the play "Café Müller". Archive holdings for other items will follow successively.

The Pina Bausch Foundation started in 2010 with the indexing, preservation and digitization of the extensive archive holdings. This process is still going on. With the online publication, the Foundation is taking a decisive step towards making Pina Bausch's legacy available worldwide in the long term.

https://www.pinabausch.org/en

• Like 3

Ooooh Lizbie1, I'm not really an expert in Bausch - I think Café Müller is rather depressing (but it has music by Purcell), whereas Palermo Palermo has great scenes and pictures, it's dramatic and varied. I guess with Bausch it's best you find out yourself which pieces you like. Sorry, I'm not much of a help...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

Arrgh....here we go again:

Bavarian Staatsballett cancels tickets:

[...]

I am so sorry for the entire team. All the wonderful effort that was put into "Cinderella"... I hope they can continue to show it, but this will be ruinous.

😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

10 hours ago, Angela said:

Theatres in Austria will close on Monday until 13th December.

At Dresden, the Semper Opera has closed until at least Wednesday.

So sad.

😢

Totally frustrating, really! 

Thank you, Angela, for the good news regarding the Pina Bausch Online Archive!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It seems strange that theatres are closing again so soon in Germany as they have always had tighter regulations regards Covid than in U.K. 

The regulations didn't work in some places because too many people are still not vaxxed. Especially in Bavaria and Saxony. I don't get it and I am so tired, sad, angry. Too many Covidiots.👹

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

The regulations didn't work in some places because too many people are still not vaxxed. Especially in Bavaria and Saxony. I don't get it and I am so tired, sad, angry. Too many Covidiots.👹

I know exactly what you mean Christine re Covidiots.  

I mentioned on another thread that I heard last weekend of a couple who contracted Covid - one vaxxed and one not.  The vaccinated person had a headache and only knew she had Covid because her partner tested positive.  He ended up in hospital for weeks on a ventilator...

• Like 1

Well, they are closing in some places like Dresden in Saxony where the number of cases are running especially high, at the very least until the 12 of December. The 525 places remaining in Munich are apparently 25% of theatre capacity, which can make nobody very happy.

With case numbers soaring and the debate about what can or should be done to stem the tide of new infections in full swing (without making much progress) we do not know what this development will mean precisely in terms of theatre closures or restrictions. The decision conerning whether to shut down venues for cultural or sports events or reduce seating capacity is taken at the level of the states (Bundesländer). So we are all a bit on tenterhooks at the moment and are hoping for the best while fearing the next hit... 

Anyway, it does feels like a déjà vu.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, FionaE said:

@Sabine0308 do I understand correctly the Munich theatres are not closing … they continue performing but with reduced audience?   Hence existing tickets are all returned … and presumably we hear next week how the State opera & ballet will allocate the 525 places allowed?

Yes. Today's message was:

"Due to the current regulations of the Bavarian State Government to combat the Corona pandemic, we are only allowed to occupy 25% of the seats in the National Theatre as of Wednesday. If the incidence rate of the city of Munich exceeds 1000 in the next few days, we would have to cancel the performances altogether. We cannot predict the development of the incidence values and have therefore decided to sell the performances gradually in order to avoid further cancellations.

Tickets can be purchased from 6pm on 22.11.2021 for performances up to and including 25.11.2021. We will publish the further procedure for performances from 26.11.2021 within the next two days.
Please note that from now on the 2G+ rule (vaccinated or recovered and additional presentation of an antigen test) applies in our house as well as an obligation to wear an FFP2 mask, also during the performance.
"

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 1

I keep my fingers crossed so hard. I am travelling to Munich Staatsballet for the performance on Nov 27. And I want to get in🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 to see Shale Wagman's debut in Rubies Solo with Carollina Bastos.

Edited by Sabine0308

On 22/11/2021 at 21:07, Sabine0308 said:

I keep my fingers crossed so hard. I am travelling to Munich Staatsballet for the performance on Nov 27. And I want to get in🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 to see Shale Wagman's debut in Rubies Solo with Carollina Bastos.

Did you actually get to see the performance, Sabine? Instagram snippets of Shale Wagman and Carolina Bastos do look rather tantalizing. 

Promotion: Madison Young posted on Instagram that she has been promoted to Principal Dancer with Bayerisches Staatsballett. I saw her in With a chance of rain and in Diamonds and loved her elegance. Congratulations!

https://www.instagram.com/madison_c_young/p/CXMSex7ICUw/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 4