News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The season at Stuttgart State Theatre is now officially cancelled. The mayor says that at the moment nothing can be said how and when the next season will start.

ūüėĘ

from a recent interview in the Berliner Zeitung with the director of the Komische Oper Berlin

We have plan A and hopefully we will soon know if it works. Plan A is business as usual, i.e. we're opening in September.

This option still exists?

Probably not, but we remain hopeful. We need a little miracle for that, someone who says next week: We have a vaccine or a drug. We are also developing Plan B for a season starting in early November. This means that productions have to be exchanged, canceled, repertoire has to be rebuilt. Then we have plan C: early January 2021. Then plan D: March 2021.

• Like 1

Hamburg Ballet will go back to the studio with six dancers in one studio at a time. Respecting all rules of social distancing, John Neumeier will work on a new ballet that reflects the current situation, to music by Franz Schubert and for all of the dancers of Hamburg Ballet. He will work with small groups and combine them later to a whole piece, whenever the rules may allow it.  

New streams by Hamburg Ballet:

May 14 and 23

"Nijinsky & Neumeier. Eine Seelenverwandtschaft im Tanz" (Soulmates in Dance)

Documentation by Annette von Wangenheim, made for German television  in 2010

May 21 and 30

"John Neumeier at Work"

Documentation by André S. Labarthe from 1987, with rehearsals for Artus Tale, St. Matthews Passion and Magnificat

May 28 and June 6

"John Neumeier ‚Äď Unterwegs"

Documentation by Jan Peter Gehrckens, made for German television in 2019

the videos will be online for 48 hours

www.hamburgballett.de

Sasha Waltz recently said in an interview with BZ , that SBB expects to work again at the end of August but has 3 different scenarios, depending on a beginning¬†in September, October or November. ūüė® They are determined to save at least 2 premieres, Marcia Haydee's¬†"Sleeping Beauty" and S. Waltz' "Sym-Phonie 2020". Let's hope the Sleeping Beauty gets a chance...¬†

She also mentioned that¬†Alan Lucien √ėyen's World Premiere for¬†SBB and the premieres¬†with pieces by David Dawson, Wayne McGregor and Mats Ek are cancelled¬†for¬†the¬†upcoming season.¬†

I was looking forward to Ek and McGregor and I hope it will happen soon after next season.

Edited by Sabine0308

We have so much information on this thread now that I've filtered off the discussion of Neumeier works into its own thread here:

Let me know if there are any other candidates for moving, please.

• 2 weeks later...

The winners of the German Dance Award 2020 were announced yesterday.

The German Dance Award 2020 goes to contemporary dancer and choreographer Raimund Hoghe, working on inclusion and diversity since the 1990s.

The Award for Outstanding Performer 2020 goes to Friedemann Vogel, Principal Dancer with Stuttgart Ballett.

Awards for Outstanding Artistic Developments in Dance 2020 go to:

Antje Pfundtner in Gesellschaft, a contemporary choreographer from Hamburg and her company,

and to Raphael Hillebrand, a HipHop/Urban Dance/Contemporary artist and choreographer from Berlin

The gala for the Award ceremony will take place on Saturday, 17. October 2020 in the Aalto-Theater Essen.

• Like 1

The first signs of a new life on stage from the ballet companies at Stuttgart and Munich:

Bavarian State Ballet offers a new creation during the new chamber music series "Streifz√ľge am Mittwoch" ("Wednesday Strolls"), where 20 visitors can see a concert or perfomance at various places at the Nationaltheater. On 3. June, they can watch "Tango Between Us" in the ballet studio, choreographed by Maged Mohamed to music by Astor Piazzola. The dancers are Carollina Bastos and Ariel Merkuri, a couple also in life.

Together with singers and actors of the Stuttgart State Theatre, Stuttgart Ballet takes part in "We are such stuff as dreams are made on", a "Theatre Parcours" in the buildings of Opera, Playhouse and between. The ballet company will show excerpts from pieces by Edward Clug, John Cranko, Roman Novitzky, The Dying Swan by Fokine and "Metrof", a creation by Shaked Heller, dancer of the company. Up to four people will walk a parcours through the whole theatre, with stations with music, acting and dancing. People get time slots during a period of four hours and will move from station to station. Premiere on 5. June.

https://www.stuttgart-ballet.de/schedule/a-z/walkabout/

Most ballet companies in Germany, Austria and Switzerland have returned to their studios now, strictly keeping distance during class. They work in small groups between four to ten dancers, studios and dressing rooms are cleaned and disinfected regularly.

• Like 1

Stuttgart Ballet is back on stage again, live in front of an audience!!

It's a very small audience only, up to four people only during each session, but 60 people can see the whole evening. Together with the opera and they playhouse they reopened the Stuttgart theatres with a walk-around with different scenes, from Beckett's Godot to Wagner's Tristan. Everybody keeps the necessary distance, but somehow it works and the dancers, actors, singers and musicians look very happy. The ballet has three stations on the "Theatre Parcours" which they show 15 times an evening, every 12 minutes. Almost every dancer is on stage, they have different casts and show different solos, excerpts from a piece by Roman Novitzky and from Cranko's Romeo (the Capulet ball without touching, but in a great location, a dark and lofty hallway in the belly of the theatre). Everything is accompanied by live music, piano or drums or even a small orchestra.

After three months of starvation, it is very touching and emotional to return to the theatre, to see dancers, hear live music and actors - even for such small scenes. They plan for bigger audiences, when more people are allowed to meet, maybe even in June or July. 

There's hope!!

Edited by Angela
typo
  • Like 9

It is wonderful to hear what’s happening in Stuttgart but let’s not forget that companies in Germany are supported to a very significant extent by their respective States. Therefore, they have loss-making options available to them which UK organisations do not - well, not yet.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Estreiiita said:

Quite an interesting story about the ballet dancer's moving from one company to another during corona times:

https://blog.staatsoper.de/en/post/news/melissa-chapski-joins-the-bsb.html?tx_news_pi1[action]=detail&cHash=3975c2f42d806fbdc30fb44aab885cbb

That was a lovely read Estreiiita, thanks for sharing.

4 hours ago, capybara said:

that companies in Germany are supported to a very significant extent by their respective States

I think never were theatre artists happier about the German system of financing the arts than in Corona times. We still have lots of freelance artists who struggle heavily (but even they had the possibility so receive up to 9000 Euro from their States) and I'm sure a huge breakdown of the arts is yet to come. But we know that most of the state-subsidised theatres in Germany will survive. Certainly with losses, but there will be theatre and ballet in the future.

I'm also sure that many of the London theatres will survive, they are such an essential part of the city! I couldn't imagine coming to London without going to a ballet, musical or play every single evening...  In Vienna, the State also gives money to the theatres that play musicals, because they attract tourists to Austria.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just watched a hugely enjoyable concert from the Vienna staatsoper. All opera,  no orchestra, but an excellent cast of around 15 singers performing solos, duets and items with five or six singers, and all in front of an enthusiastic, socially distanced audience. All from French opera, German and Slavic to come. Certainly a pointer for what could be done here.

2 minutes ago, Angela said:

Vienna Opera House receives ca. 60 Million Euro from the state, they earn ca. 35 Million Euro by selling tickets.

which are far from cheap, I might add. Top price ones are more expensive than almost any other opera house (maybe on par with La Scala)

New Creations at Stuttgart and Munich - on stage and with a live audience

At Bavarian State Ballet in Munich, House Choreographer Andrey Kaydanovskiy will present his new creation "petit pas" with music by Tschaikovsky on 20. June, a humorous 30 minute piece for five dancers about Marius Petipa in his old age. They promise a "tongue-in-cheek choreographic examination of the only seemingly contradictory subject complexes Marius Petipa and Corona", which also comments on his most famous works. The dancers are Jeanette Kakareka/Jinhao Zhang and Elisa Mestres/Matteo Dilaghi, two real-life couples, and Marta Villalba Navarrete. The music will be played live on the piano. The artists dance on the orchestra pit, a small audience will sit on the stage of the opera house.

Laurretta Summerscales, Yonah Acosta and Osiel Gouneo will dance the Pas de trois from Le Corsaire for the last Monday Concert on 22. June.

Stuttgart Ballet will go live on stage on 25. July with three new solos by choreographers Fabio Adorisio, Roman Novitzky and Louis Stiens, with Fokine‚Äôs Dying Swan, "Solo" by Hans van Manen (which is a virtuoso piece for three men without touching and with in-built Social Distancing), a pas de deux from Onegin, solos from MacMillan‚Äôs Requiem and from "Ssss" by Edward Clug ‚Äď and with Maurice B√©jart‚Äôs "Bolero" in an adapted version, starring Friedemann Vogel. They also provide live music in reduced orchestra versions. The evening is called "RESPONSE I. Something old, something new, something classic, something blue". They will allow an audience of 99 people in the Opera House and the performance will be screened for free at the local fairground which has been turned into a drive-in cinema for movies, pop concerts and cultural events. Honk for encores‚Ķ

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Angela said:

Stuttgart Ballet will go live on stage on 25 .... The evening is called "RESPONSE I. Something old, something new, something classic, something blue". They will allow an audience of 99 people in the Opera House and the performance will be screened for free at the local fairground which has been turned into a drive-in cinema for movies, pop concerts and cultural events. Honk for encores…

this drive-in cinema is a GREAT idea

And another sign of life: the plans of Berlin State Ballett for August and September:

Two gala evenings and a new production
Season kick off in August and September

PRESS RELEASE OF 18 JUNE 2020

Berlin, 18 June 2020 --- The Staatsballett Berlin opens its 2020/21 season on the city's opera stages with two gala evenings FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE (I + II) at the Deutsche Oper Berlin in August and at the Staatsoper Unter den Lindin in September as well as the new production LAB_WORKS COVID_19 at the Komische Oper Berlin in early September.

Due to the corona pandemic, the Staatsballett Berlin opens its 2020/21 season with three special programmes, two gala evenings FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE (I + II) and the new production LAB_WORKS COVID_19.

On 27, 28 and 29 August 2020, the gala FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE I invites you to a diverse programme of classical and contemporary works. In addition to excerpts from the more recent repertoire such as SWAN LAKE and JEWELS works by choreographers such as Heinz Spoerli, Uwe Scholz and Mauro de Candia will be staged. The programme is complemented by works by dancers of the ensemble who have already appeared as choreographers on several occasions. On 29 August 2020, the Staatsballett also bids farewell to long-time Principal Dancer Mikhail Kaniskin, who has been a company member since 2007, dancing all the major roles. In addition to two performances with him, soloists from international ensembles are invited. 

A second gala programme, FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE II, at the Staatsoper Unter den Linden, follows on 18, 19 and 20 September 2020, which highlights the company's romantic and classical repertoire. With pas de deux, solo variations, dance suites and ensemble pieces from repertoire pieces such as GISELLE, SWAN LAKE and DON QUIXOTE, the Staatsballett already dares to include longer sequences with various dancers*.

The Staatsballett Berlin's first new stage production after the lockdown is called LAB_WORKS COVID_19 and premiers on 3, 4 and 5 September 2020 at the Komische Oper Berlin, boasting choreographies created by the ensemble: during times of self-isolation, dancers from the Staatsballett Berlin created choreographies for themselves and/or co-dancers residing in the same household with regulations suggested by the Robert-Koch-Institut which will not only apply in the auditorium but on stage as well.

Ticket sales for these events start on 15 August 2020. Due to the existing distance regulations for protection against SARS-CoV-2, a reduced ticket contingent for all three venues applies; press tickets are also limited. Other precautionary measures such as registration of all visitors' personal data as well as special rules of conduct during the performance must be taken into account.

The rest of the programme for the 2020/21 season will be published bit by bit over the next few months in order to be able to react to possible changes at short notice. The premiere of Marcia Hayd√©es DORNR√ĖSCHEN and the world premiere of Sasha Waltz's SYM-PHONIE 2020 are still planned for this season. The guest performance NELKEN by Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch as well as the premieres of Alan Lucien √ėyen and the evening DAWSON | MCGREGOR have to be cancelled.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, FionaE said:

this drive-in cinema is a GREAT idea

IF you have a car ... :( 

Living in London, I'd always managed without one for the past couple of decades.  These last few months are the only time I've wished I had one ...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, alison said:

Living in London, I'd always managed without one for the past couple of decades.  These last few months are the only time I've wished I had one ...

Mine’s been hardly used ... no school run, no travel, no outings, no shopping except food and that’s mostly walkable!

10 hours ago, alison said:

Although you have to remember there is now the 'enhanced' congestion zone charge in the City to deal with ...