News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

On 22/04/2021 at 11:31, Jeannette said:

Indeed! Wasn’t it Zhang who danced the initial (“rough” - my term) pdd with Lauretta Summerscales? Very different than at ABT!

yes to Zhang & Summercales and yes the choreo is more refined. 

is the world becoming more prudish?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

Vienna State Ballet    Wiener Staatsoper (wiener-staatsoper.at)

All streams listed below are available free of charge in Austria as well as internationally on our website play.wiener-staatsoper.at. Each begins at 7:00 p.m. and the broadcasts can be accessed for 24 hours.

Saturday, May 1, 2021, 19.00 - BALLET
Léo Delibes
SYLVIA (Performance of 10 November 2018)
Choreography: Manuel Legris after Louis Mérante et al.
Conductor: Kevin Rhodes
With: Nikisha Fogo, Denys Cherevychko, Davide Dato, soloists, corps de ballet and youth company of the Vienna State Ballet, among others

Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 7.00 pm - BALLET
Piotr I. Tchaikovsky
SWAN LAKE (Performance of 16 March 2014)
Choreography: Rudolf Nureyev
Conductor: Alexander Ingram
With: Olga Esina, Vladimir Shishov, Eno Peci, soloists, corps de ballet and youth company of the Vienna State Ballet

Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 7.00 p.m. - BALLET
Edvard Grieg
PEER GYNT (Performance of 4 December 2018)
Choreography: Edward Clug
Conductor: Simon Hewett
With: Jakob Feyferlik, Alice Firenze, Eno Peci, Zsolt Török, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet

Friday, May 7, 2021, 7.00 p.m. - BALLET
Adolphe Adam
GISELLE (Performance of 28 September 2017)
Choreography: Elena Chernishova
Conductor: Valery Ovsyanikov
With: Nina Poláková, Masayu Kimoto, Andrey Kaydanovskiy, Rebecca Horner, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet

I’m looking forward to Sylvia tonight ... I haven’t seen Nikisha Fogo in a full ballet yet.

New Principals for Vienna State Ballet: Hyo-Jung Kang from Stuttgart and Alexey Popov from Munich, both principal dancers in their companies, will dance at Vienna from next season on.

Theatres in Austria will reopen on 19. May, Vienna State Ballet and the companies at Salzburg, Graz or Linz will be dancing again in front of a reduced audience.

Zurich Ballet has resumed performances in front of an audience of 50 people.

German theatres are still closed.

Lizbie, as theatres are still closed, I suppose they wait with their announcements until they know when and how they can open. Some smaller venues have published their plans, but not the big companies.

Munich will reopen on 19. May with "Paradigma", works by Russell Maliphant, Sharon Eyal und Liam Scarlett.  Andrey Kaydanovskiy‘s new full-length story ballet "Der Schneesturm" will be on the schedule on 29. and 31. May. They are playing for one third of the usual capacity, with masks and social distancing.

• Like 2

Colleen Scott has died on Sunday at the age of 75 years in Munich. The ballerina from South Africa was a principal dancer at John Neumeier's Hamburg Ballet for many years and then followed her husband Ivan Liska to Munich, where he was ballet director and she became ballet mistress.

Here we go, Zurich Ballet is the first major company to publish its next season:

A double bill with ballets by Crystal Pite ("Angels' Atlas") and Marco Goecke ("Almost Blue"), a "Monteverdi" ballet as new creation by AD Christian Spuck, Edward Clug's "Peer Gynt" and a Young Choreographers Evening.

Repertory: Spuck's Sleeping Beauty (which had exactly one performance, the premiere, in October), Spuck's "Leonce and Lena", "Bolero"/"Sacre" by Johan Inger and Edward Clug.

https://www.opernhaus.ch/en/spielplan/ballett-2122/

Very few changes with the dancers, find the season brochure here and go to page 175

https://issuu.com/opernhauszuerich/docs/saisonbuch_21-22_low/174

• Like 4

Hamburg Ballet reopens on 29. May with the premiere of Neumeier's "Beethoven Project II", initially planned for December 2020. He announces a new version of his several "Hamlet" ballets for June, called "Hamlet 21". Hamburg also plans to have the ballet days in June, with two performances of the usual Nijinsky Gala, and a new DVD of Neumeier's "Midsummer Night's Dream", cast here (no Alina, what a pity!!)

• Like 1

On 18/05/2021 at 16:41, Angela said:

Hamburg Ballet reopens on 29. May with the premiere of Neumeier's "Beethoven Project II", initially planned for December 2020. He announces a new version of his several "Hamlet" ballets for June, called "Hamlet 21". Hamburg also plans to have the ballet days in June, with two performances of the usual Nijinsky Gala, and a new DVD of Neumeier's "Midsummer Night's Dream", cast here (no Alina, what a pity!!)

Yes ... I’m with you .. would have loved a DVD from Hamburg with Alina in the Dream.  Hoping for her return to Hamburg at some point soon too. 

On 18/05/2021 at 17:41, Angela said:

Great to have the Ballett-Tage back, even if I suspect it will not be easy to have tickets (I suppose the theatre capacity will be reduced)...and the prices raised horribly (up to 232 euros for the Nijinsky Galas!). In addition, even if I was lucky to have my second dose of vaccine a couple of weeks ago, I don't know if it's possible to travel to Germany in June from abroad without quarantine? Is it?

A pity to not have Midsummer Night's Dream DVD with Cojocaru, especially because the clip on Hamburg website seems excellent and, being wise, they could have recorded a full Cojocaru-Evans performance. @Angela, have you seen her in this ballet or you were hoping it "on trust" 🙂 ? She is obviously excellent as Hippolyta, but I especially enjoy her surprising Titania: a casting against Alina's most common types and peculiar movements that she makes her own in an outstanding way (she is truly fearless!).

I've never seen Anna Laudere in this and I would expect her to be a good Titania...isn't she maybe a little too tall for the choreography?

IMO Edvin Revazov is (was?) a better Oberon than Christopher Evans, on the other hand, Evans is much better as Theseus and his stage presence was finally improving a lot and in a very promising way before the theatres closure.
I'd have loved to have Sascha Ryabko, but anyway great to have Karen Azatyan as Demetrius: he was retiring due to injury...in his case maybe the pandemic helped a recovery! He is a good contrast to Jacopo Bellussi poetry as Lysander.

I've been spoiled by artist as Alban Lendorf and Sascha Ryabko and definitely I cannot buy Alexander Trusch as

Philostrat/Puck... (I am afraid probably I would skip him in everything, but here I definitely found him at the same time annoying and insipid:...but who knows? maybe he has improved from September 2019...)

I hope i'll be able to travel again to Hamburg soon...

• Like 1

FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE IV at the Deutsche Oper Berlin
Staatsballett Berlin back on stage in June

HALF LIFE, Foto: Jubal Battisti

HALF LIFE, Foto: Jubal Battisti

Berlin, May 25, 2021 --- Due to decreasing case rates, the Staatsballett Berlin will take the stage with the FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE IV gala programme in June, featuring pieces from the broad spectrum of its repertoire.

As indoor cultural events will be allowed as soon as case rates decrease, the Staatsballett Berlin plans to stage a brand-new gala, FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE IV, at the Deutsche Oper Berlin on June 5, 6 and 23. The programme offers a variety of dance styles and allows plenty of dancers to showcase the results of their on-going rehearsals.

With the GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE by Victor Gsovsky, Aya Okumura and Daniil Simkin pay tribute to the classical technique whereas Yuria Isaka and Murilo de Oliveira celebrate Bournonville's style with the pas de deux from THE FLOWER FESTIVAL IN GENZANO. Mauro Bigonzetti's DUETTO INOFFENSIVO with principal dancers Elisa Carrillo Cabrera and Yolanda Correa thrives on expressive physical energy. The programme is complemented by Sharon Eyal's successful choreography HALF LIFE which has a group of dancers form an ecstatic unity fuelled by thumping techno beats.

Tickets will go on sale on May 27, 2021 at 12 pm. Should performances be cancelled due to increasing case rates or other constraints by the Berlin Senate, all tickets will be refunded in full.

FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE IV
Staatsballett Berlin Gala

5 June 2021, 7 p.m.
6, 23 June 2021, 7.30 p.m.
Deutsche Oper Berlin

PROGRAMME IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER

DUETTO INOFFENSIVO (duet)
Choreography: Mauro Bigonzetti
Music: Gioacchino Rossino

EIN SOMMERNACHTSTRAUM (excerpt)
Choreography: Heinz Spoerli
Music: Philipp Glass

THE FLOWER FESTIVAL IN GENZANO (pas de deux)
Choreography: Auguste Bournonville
Music: Edvard Helsted

GOPAK (solo)
Choreography: Fedor W. Lopuchow
Music: Vasily P. Solovyov-Sedoi

GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE (grand pas de deux)
Choreography: after Victor Gsovsky
Music: Daniel François Esprit Auber

HALF LIFE
Choreography: Sharon Eyal
Music: Ori Lichtik

MARE CRISIUM
Choreography: Arshak Ghalumyan
Music: Karl Jenkins

PROMENADE (duet)
Choreography: Arshak Ghalumyan
Music: Claude Debussy

Edited by Angela
unnecessary information
  • Like 2

On 23/05/2021 at 12:50, annamicro said:

@Angela, have you seen her in this ballet or you were hoping it "on trust" 🙂 ? She is obviously excellent as Hippolyta, but I especially enjoy her surprising Titania: a casting against Alina's most common types and peculiar movements that she makes her own in an outstanding way (she is truly fearless!).

I've never seen Anna Laudere in this and I would expect her to be a good Titania...isn't she maybe a little too tall for the choreography?

Anna, I've seen her some ten years ago with Thiago Bordin, a wonderful couple! I especially remember her wedding pdd which was beautiful, so warm and tender and full of love - what she makes of every pas de deux, even if there was no love in it before... Forgive me if I dream a little about the older casts in this ballet (the Bubeniceks! Riabko! Azzoni! Ivan Urban!), I've not seen the recent performances. I can't imagine Anna Laudere in the role, she lacks any warmth and tenderness, but Revazov is huge and a fine partner, so it should work for the difficult lifts.

It IS one of Neumeier's best ballets and we should be happy to finally have a recording.

• Like 2

On 23/05/2021 at 12:50, annamicro said:

In addition, even if I was lucky to have my second dose of vaccine a couple of weeks ago, I don't know if it's possible to travel to Germany in June from abroad without quarantine? Is it?

It's tricky as it depends on the countries been to in the ten previous days and on other factors, and as there is a combination of federal and state regulations / exceptions.

https://www.hamburg.de/hu/corona-regeln-einreise/

Moreover, the classification of countries as risk / high incidence / variant of concern is updated on a regular basis. 

Being fully vaccinated will definitely be of great benefit!

There is also the question of accommodation. Hotels in Hamburg are still closed to non-business travel though I've read somewhere that they may open later in June.

https://www.hamburg-tourism.de/das-ist-hamburg/infos/aktuelle-hinweise/

Hotels in neighbouring Schleswig Holstein and Lower Saxony are open for non-business purposes already but staying there would come with its own set of regulations ...

Edited by Duck
grammar
  • Like 2

The German federal government will spend another 2.5 billion Euros for culture, to help cultural events recover from the Corona crisis. It is reported to be the largest cultural funding program in German history. First, the program will enable smaller events up to 500 visitors in compliance with corona-related hygiene regulations and then later it will help events with up to 2000 visitors by subsidizing the income from ticket sales and reducing the economic risks, by covering finances in the event of corona-related cancellations oder postponements. There were other help programs for freelancers and artists before.

Edited by Angela
reason for edit: my stupidity
  • Like 7

And Gauthier Dance is back at Stuttgart Theaterhaus on 24. June with a world premiere:

Marie Chouinard: LE CHANT DU CYGNE: LE LAC
Music: Louis Dufort

Marco Goecke: SHARA NUR
Music: Pjotr Iljitsch Tschaikowski

Hofesh Shechter: SWAN CAKE
Music: Hofesh Shechter

Cayetano Soto: UNTITLED FOR 7 DANCERS
Music: Peter Gregson

They also announce a tour to Bolzano Danza on 16. July and some tour dates in Germany.

• Like 1

Hamburg Ballet's next season - download here

- John Neumeier revives his Sleeping Beauty from 1978, with refreshed sets and costumes by Jürgen Rose

- Hamburg premiere of Christopher Wheeldon: The Winter's Tale

- revivals of Neumeier's Sylvia and Liliom

Tours to Vienna, Baden-Baden, Los Angeles and Tarbes

Cojocaru remains guest artist

• Like 4

On 26/05/2021 at 15:06, Duck said:

It's tricky as it depends on the countries been to in the ten previous days and on other factors, and as there is a combination of federal and state regulations / exceptions.

https://www.hamburg.de/hu/corona-regeln-einreise/

Moreover, the classification of countries as risk / high incidence / variant of concern is updated on a regular basis. 

Being fully vaccinated will definitely be of great benefit!

There is also the question of accommodation. Hotels in Hamburg are still closed to non-business travel though I've read somewhere that they may open later in June.

Hotels in neighbouring Schleswig Holstein and Lower Saxony are open for non-business purposes already but staying there would come with its own set of regulations ...

Hotels in Hamburg are open again for non-business purposes. A negative test is required, among others. 

Hamburg Ballet has specified their requirements, including that "fully vaccatinated" means the 2nd dosis needs to be at least two weeks prior to a performance (this is not stated in the link with regards to travelling to Hamburg from abroad to avoid quarantaine but may well apply there, too). 

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/index.php#2021-06-01

You may want to check whether the links above contain all requirements.

Edited by Duck
incomplete sentence / grammar
  • Like 2

On 31/05/2021 at 18:27, Angela said:

Hamburg Ballet's next season - download here

- John Neumeier revives his Sleeping Beauty from 1978, with refreshed sets and costumes by Jürgen Rose

- Hamburg premiere of Christopher Wheeldon: The Winter's Tale

- revivals of Neumeier's Sylvia and Liliom

Tours to Vienna, Baden-Baden, Los Angeles and Tarbes

Cojocaru remains guest artist

Thrilled to see Alina Cojocaru continues as guest principal.  I would hope she might appear in Sleeping Beauty (a signature role for her), The Winter's Tale (she’d be great in this) and Liliom (created on her) as well as repertoire such as The Glass Menagerie (also created on her), The Nutcracker, Midsummer’s Night’s Dream and Die Kameliendame ... all of which she has performed before.  Maybe I hope for too much!!! 😉

Season 21/22 for Vienna State Ballet is online here

Martin Schläpfer: Marsch, Walzer, Polka with Johann Strauß music

Gustav Mahler’s Fifth Symphony by Marco Goecke (new creation)

George Balanchine, Symphony in C

Robbins, Other Dances

Lucinda Childs, Concerto

Balanchine,  Liebeslieder Walzer

Martin Schläpfer: The Seasons (Oratorio by Joseph Haydn), new creation

Nureyev Gala

Edited by Angela
mistake
  • Like 1

Next season at Bavarian State Ballet at Munich:

Christopher Wheeldon’s Cinderella on 19. November, the production was made for Dutch National in 2012

a triple bill called "Passages" with new creations by Marco Goecke and David Dawson, and with Alexei Ratmansky‘s Pictures of an Exhibition, which had been planned for 2020

a young choreographer’s evening named "Heute ist morgen" (Today is tomorrow), artists to be announced.

John Neumeier’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream will be back in the repertory, which also contains Liam Scarlett‘s With a Chance of Rain, the triple bill Paradigma, Balanchine’s Jewels, Swan Lake, Giselle, The Blizzard by Andrey Kaydanovskiy and Coppélia by Roland Petit.

News about the dancers to follow. The season is not yet online, I'll post the link when available.

• Like 3