News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuttgart Ballet is back on stage again, live in front of an audience!!

It's a very small audience only, up to four people only during each session, but 60 people can see the whole evening. Together with the opera and they playhouse they reopened the Stuttgart theatres with a walk-around with different scenes, from Beckett's Godot to Wagner's Tristan. Everybody keeps the necessary distance, but somehow it works and the dancers, actors, singers and musicians look very happy. The ballet has three stations on the "Theatre Parcours" which they show 15 times an evening, every 12 minutes. Almost every dancer is on stage, they have different casts and show different solos, excerpts from a piece by Roman Novitzky and from Cranko's Romeo (the Capulet ball without touching, but in a great location, a dark and lofty hallway in the belly of the theatre). Everything is accompanied by live music, piano or drums or even a small orchestra.

After three months of starvation, it is very touching and emotional to return to the theatre, to see dancers, hear live music and actors - even for such small scenes. They plan for bigger audiences, when more people are allowed to meet, maybe even in June or July. 

There's hope!!

Edited by Angela
typo
  • Like 9

It is wonderful to hear what’s happening in Stuttgart but let’s not forget that companies in Germany are supported to a very significant extent by their respective States. Therefore, they have loss-making options available to them which UK organisations do not - well, not yet.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Estreiiita said:

Quite an interesting story about the ballet dancer's moving from one company to another during corona times:

https://blog.staatsoper.de/en/post/news/melissa-chapski-joins-the-bsb.html?tx_news_pi1[action]=detail&cHash=3975c2f42d806fbdc30fb44aab885cbb

That was a lovely read Estreiiita, thanks for sharing.

4 hours ago, capybara said:

that companies in Germany are supported to a very significant extent by their respective States

I think never were theatre artists happier about the German system of financing the arts than in Corona times. We still have lots of freelance artists who struggle heavily (but even they had the possibility so receive up to 9000 Euro from their States) and I'm sure a huge breakdown of the arts is yet to come. But we know that most of the state-subsidised theatres in Germany will survive. Certainly with losses, but there will be theatre and ballet in the future.

I'm also sure that many of the London theatres will survive, they are such an essential part of the city! I couldn't imagine coming to London without going to a ballet, musical or play every single evening...  In Vienna, the State also gives money to the theatres that play musicals, because they attract tourists to Austria.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just watched a hugely enjoyable concert from the Vienna staatsoper. All opera,  no orchestra, but an excellent cast of around 15 singers performing solos, duets and items with five or six singers, and all in front of an enthusiastic, socially distanced audience. All from French opera, German and Slavic to come. Certainly a pointer for what could be done here.

2 minutes ago, Angela said:

Vienna Opera House receives ca. 60 Million Euro from the state, they earn ca. 35 Million Euro by selling tickets.

which are far from cheap, I might add. Top price ones are more expensive than almost any other opera house (maybe on par with La Scala)

New Creations at Stuttgart and Munich - on stage and with a live audience

At Bavarian State Ballet in Munich, House Choreographer Andrey Kaydanovskiy will present his new creation "petit pas" with music by Tschaikovsky on 20. June, a humorous 30 minute piece for five dancers about Marius Petipa in his old age. They promise a "tongue-in-cheek choreographic examination of the only seemingly contradictory subject complexes Marius Petipa and Corona", which also comments on his most famous works. The dancers are Jeanette Kakareka/Jinhao Zhang and Elisa Mestres/Matteo Dilaghi, two real-life couples, and Marta Villalba Navarrete. The music will be played live on the piano. The artists dance on the orchestra pit, a small audience will sit on the stage of the opera house.

Laurretta Summerscales, Yonah Acosta and Osiel Gouneo will dance the Pas de trois from Le Corsaire for the last Monday Concert on 22. June.

Stuttgart Ballet will go live on stage on 25. July with three new solos by choreographers Fabio Adorisio, Roman Novitzky and Louis Stiens, with Fokine’s Dying Swan, "Solo" by Hans van Manen (which is a virtuoso piece for three men without touching and with in-built Social Distancing), a pas de deux from Onegin, solos from MacMillan’s Requiem and from "Ssss" by Edward Clug – and with Maurice Béjart’s "Bolero" in an adapted version, starring Friedemann Vogel. They also provide live music in reduced orchestra versions. The evening is called "RESPONSE I. Something old, something new, something classic, something blue". They will allow an audience of 99 people in the Opera House and the performance will be screened for free at the local fairground which has been turned into a drive-in cinema for movies, pop concerts and cultural events. Honk for encores…

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Angela said:

Stuttgart Ballet will go live on stage on 25 .... The evening is called "RESPONSE I. Something old, something new, something classic, something blue". They will allow an audience of 99 people in the Opera House and the performance will be screened for free at the local fairground which has been turned into a drive-in cinema for movies, pop concerts and cultural events. Honk for encores…

this drive-in cinema is a GREAT idea

And another sign of life: the plans of Berlin State Ballett for August and September:

Two gala evenings and a new production
Season kick off in August and September

PRESS RELEASE OF 18 JUNE 2020

Berlin, 18 June 2020 --- The Staatsballett Berlin opens its 2020/21 season on the city's opera stages with two gala evenings FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE (I + II) at the Deutsche Oper Berlin in August and at the Staatsoper Unter den Lindin in September as well as the new production LAB_WORKS COVID_19 at the Komische Oper Berlin in early September.

Due to the corona pandemic, the Staatsballett Berlin opens its 2020/21 season with three special programmes, two gala evenings FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE (I + II) and the new production LAB_WORKS COVID_19.

On 27, 28 and 29 August 2020, the gala FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE I invites you to a diverse programme of classical and contemporary works. In addition to excerpts from the more recent repertoire such as SWAN LAKE and JEWELS works by choreographers such as Heinz Spoerli, Uwe Scholz and Mauro de Candia will be staged. The programme is complemented by works by dancers of the ensemble who have already appeared as choreographers on several occasions. On 29 August 2020, the Staatsballett also bids farewell to long-time Principal Dancer Mikhail Kaniskin, who has been a company member since 2007, dancing all the major roles. In addition to two performances with him, soloists from international ensembles are invited. 

A second gala programme, FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE II, at the Staatsoper Unter den Linden, follows on 18, 19 and 20 September 2020, which highlights the company's romantic and classical repertoire. With pas de deux, solo variations, dance suites and ensemble pieces from repertoire pieces such as GISELLE, SWAN LAKE and DON QUIXOTE, the Staatsballett already dares to include longer sequences with various dancers*.

The Staatsballett Berlin's first new stage production after the lockdown is called LAB_WORKS COVID_19 and premiers on 3, 4 and 5 September 2020 at the Komische Oper Berlin, boasting choreographies created by the ensemble: during times of self-isolation, dancers from the Staatsballett Berlin created choreographies for themselves and/or co-dancers residing in the same household with regulations suggested by the Robert-Koch-Institut which will not only apply in the auditorium but on stage as well.

Ticket sales for these events start on 15 August 2020. Due to the existing distance regulations for protection against SARS-CoV-2, a reduced ticket contingent for all three venues applies; press tickets are also limited. Other precautionary measures such as registration of all visitors' personal data as well as special rules of conduct during the performance must be taken into account.

The rest of the programme for the 2020/21 season will be published bit by bit over the next few months in order to be able to react to possible changes at short notice. The premiere of Marcia Haydées DORNRÖSCHEN and the world premiere of Sasha Waltz's SYM-PHONIE 2020 are still planned for this season. The guest performance NELKEN by Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch as well as the premieres of Alan Lucien Øyen and the evening DAWSON | MCGREGOR have to be cancelled.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FionaE said:

this drive-in cinema is a GREAT idea

IF you have a car ... :( 

Living in London, I'd always managed without one for the past couple of decades.  These last few months are the only time I've wished I had one ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alison said:

Living in London, I'd always managed without one for the past couple of decades.  These last few months are the only time I've wished I had one ...

Mine’s been hardly used ... no school run, no travel, no outings, no shopping except food and that’s mostly walkable!

10 hours ago, alison said:

Although you have to remember there is now the 'enhanced' congestion zone charge in the City to deal with ... 

10 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Although you have to remember there is now the 'enhanced' congestion zone charge in the City to deal with ... 

Indeed. Guaranteed to bring London to its knees at a time when it needs every encouragement to get up and running again. 

• Like 1

It's all the delivery-related options, travel to supermarkets, checking up on people and travelling to see friends and family, most of whom don't live anywhere near, that I was thinking about ...

• Like 1

Happy that Staatsballett Berlin is back, as good as possible. Just ordered my tickets for "From Berlin with love" 1 (With the "Goodbye" performance for M. Kaniskin) and 2, and Lab Work COVID 19. Cannot wait.❤❤❤

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 1

Munich are doing something different ....

They have removed 4 rows of the stalls in the Bayerische Staatsoper to make a larger socially distanced orchestra area ... no longer a pit.  I think the photos explain all without the need for a translation.

It will be a new challenge for the conductor to balance orchestra and opera singers.  Ballet should be fine.  But don’t buy seats in the first few rows of the stalls as I think vision will be impaired by the orchestra.   For the time being the opera house is only selling limited tickets in the first two tiers, and none in the stalls, for their programmes on 4 days of the week.

It’s a start.

https://blog.staatsoper.de/post/news/wo-ist-der-orchestergraben-hin.html?type=rss''&cHash=fd240f74b7d00e27b0f0b531b22324b8

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capybara said:

I've just noticed on social media that Laurretta Summerscales and Yonah Acosta will be dancing the Le Corsaire pdd in the Monday Concert from Munich on the 22nd June.

with Emilio Pavan (Formerly of ENB) ... it’s the grand pas de trois 😉

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

Munich are doing something different ....

They have removed 4 rows of the stalls in the Bayerische Staatsoper to make a larger socially distanced orchestra area ... no longer a pit.  I think the photos explain all without the need for a translation.

No, I really would recommend not bothering with a translation.  There's probably more information in there than anyone's ever likely to need :)

And I see from tonight's concert that the Royal Opera House has done something similar - presumably to allow enough room for dancing as well.

1 hour ago, alison said:

No, I really would recommend not bothering with a translation.  There's probably more information in there than anyone's ever likely to need :)

And I see from tonight's concert that the Royal Opera House has done something similar - presumably to allow enough room for dancing as well.

I must check again.  I thought the ROH had just covered the orchestra pit to enlarge the stage forwards.   It looks like they may have used part of the rear stage too.  And have musicians in the wings.   Novel!

Edited by FionaE
Additional info

Roster changes at Bavarian State Ballet:

Principal Dancer Ivy Amista retires from dancing with this season after 19 years with the company. She will work as a ballet master for the company.

Principal Dancers Ksenia Ryzhkova and Jonah Cook return after one year at Zurich.

Nicholas Losada returns to the corps de ballet after one year with Gauthier Dance at Stuttgart. Madison Young from Vienna State Ballet joins als Soloist, Vladislav Kozlov joins from San Francisco als Demi Soloist. Melissa Chapski and Rhiannon Fairless join in the corps de ballet.

Six dancers are leaving: Isabella Knights joins Vienna State Ballet, Dukin Seo joins Ballet on the Rhine at Düsseldorf, Andrea Marino goes to Royal Swedish Ballet. Ziyue Liu returns to China, Stanislava Aitova and Madeleine Pastor are leaving.

The company intends to show Ray Barra’s Swan Lake on September 9. and Peter Wright’s Giselle on September 19. in „slightly adapted versions“ in accordance with the hygiene guidelines that will be in place in Munich in autumn.

Speaking about Gauthier Dance at Stuttgart: The company is working on a Gershwin evening by Marco Goecke which will premiere in October. Just solos and some duos for couples who live together. Their "Swan Lakes" premiere which was planned for June with Swan Lake-inspired pieces by Hofesh Shechter, Marie Chouinard, Marco Goecke and Cayetano Soto will be postponed to summer 2021.