News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

The delightful (but small) Jermyn Street Theatre in London has now announced that it will stay closed until 2021.  (This with having received one of those cherished Emergency Covid Grants that so many similar sized institutions failed to win.) .... I put this here because I thought a comment by the Jermyn Street AD Tom Littler in The Stage (but three sentences from that same to keep in line with BcoF guidelines) made it apt - and certainly put things in a clear British perspective ...

Artistic director Tom Littler said: "Even if we are allowed to reopen, British theatres cannot break even with social distancing – we rely on full houses.

"Theatres in Europe are already reopening – because, for example, there’s more state funding for theatre in Berlin than in the whole of England, so they can run with socially distanced audiences."

He added: "Theatres have asked government for a rescue package – a mix of loans, insurance, tax breaks, the extension of the job retention ’furlough’ scheme, and an investment. The money we need is far less than the bailout of the big three airlines.
"Week after week has gone by. Government silence has been deafening."

Our friends in Germany are most fortunate.  Very lucky indeed!

Edited by Bruce Wall

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Christiana Stefanou has been appointed Director of the Ballet Academy at Vienna, starting in August 2020. After a huge scandal about children being mentally abused, discriminated and neglected, a special commission and a group of experts developed a new concept for the Ballet Academy of the Vienna State Opera. The key points are child-friendly pedagogy and an appreciative corporate culture, physical and mental health, a revision of the curriculum and the new goal to become an internationally recognized and world-leading dance academy in the next five years. The Austrian state will make investments of € 882,000 for infrastructure and € 862,000 for additional educational, medical and therapeutic staff.

Christiana Stefanou studied ballet at Munich and in later years dance pedagogy at Plovdiv, Bulgaria. She was a dancer with Bavarian State Ballet and worked as a ballet master and teacher afterwards. She was Ballet Director at the Greek National Opera and a teacher at the State Ballet Academy in Athens and the School of Performing Arts in Greece. She worked as a guest ballet master and dance teacher with the most important companies in the world: Dutch National Ballet, Royal Swedish Ballet, Ballett am Rhein, Boston Ballet, English National Ballet, Bavarian State Ballet, National Ballet Romania, Czech National Ballet, Balleto de l'Opera di Roma, Ballett Theater Basel, at the University of Music and Theater in Munich and at the San Francisco Bay Point Ballet School. She has also rehearsed the classics at many ballet academies. She is currently working on her master's thesis „Dance Pedagogy and Ballet Direction“ at the University of Plovdiv.

On 3 July 2020, the Staatsballett Berlin will stream a digital gala, giving its audience a taste of the upcoming programme in August and September 2020. 

While the Berlin stages are still closed, the Staatsballett Berlin will present a digital gala programme starting on 3 July 2020. Aurora Dickie, Iana Salenko and Polina Semionova, as well as Dinu Tamazlacaru, Daniil Simkin and Marian Walter will give a taste of the programme in August and September 2020. They'll be accompanied in parts by Donald Runnicles, General Music Director of the Deutsche Oper Berlin, and Alina Pronina on piano and Elisabeth Heise-Glass on violin.

In addition to solos and pas de deux from the repertoire works SWAN LAKE and JEWELS, choreographies by Mauro Bigonzetti and Mauro de Candia will be performed, some of which will be part of the gala programmes FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE I+II at the Deutsche Oper Berlin and the Staatsoper Unter den Linden in August and September 2020. As a taste of the Staatsballett's first new production, LAB_WORKS COVID_19 with choreographies by dancers of the company, Ross Martinson showcases one of his choreographies and Ksenia Ovsyanick and Johnny McMillan present an improvised work.

The footage shot at the Deutsche Oper Berlin shows a change of perspective: behind the dancers on stage, the empty auditorium becomes an impressive backdrop, not only accentuating the beauty of the choreography but also the painful absence of the audience.

FROM BERLIN WITH LOVE will be available on 3 July 2020, 7pm CET via the company's Youtube channel under www.youtube.com/staatsballettbln.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Stuttgart Ballet has published the first half of next season: https://www.stuttgarter-ballett.de/

They offer mixed bills of solos and socially distanced creations until November, when they hope they will be allowed to touch again. The audience is reduced to 250, maybe 330 in the Opera House (normal 1400), 170 in the Playhouse, maybe more in autumn. 

Diana Ionescu was promoted to soloist, Matteo Miccini was promoted to Demi-Soloist. Mackenzie Brown, Winner of the Prix de Lausanne 2019, joins the company. Former Apprentices Bridget Lee, Natalie Thornley-Hall and Riccardo Ferlito join the corps de ballet, Marco Piraino and Alexander Smith stay on as apprentices. Rose Maloney, Edoardo Sartori and Tristan Simpson are new apprentices, all come from the John Cranko School.

Principal Dancer Ami Morita leaves the company to join the Estonian National Ballet.

Corps de ballet dancer Jisoo Park leaves the company.

Mikhail Agrest joins the company as new musical director.

• Like 3

I watched real ballet on a real stage today, and I never saw such happy, blissful dancers taking a bow after each of the six pieces. In front of 240 people, Stuttgart Ballet presented a mixed bill at the Opera House, with three new pieces by members of the company, where the dancers stayed three meters from each other, but with live music in the pit or from behind the stage. They also danced Fokine's Dying Swan and Hans van Manen's Solo, which keeps three very fast male dancers at an appropriate distance. Ballet director Tamas Detrich managed to get almost everyone of his company in one of the two casts, the programm will be repeated two times on Sunday and hopefully in October. It ended with Maurice Béjart's Bolero with only eight dancers instead of the 30+ they normally have around the red table. Friedemann Vogel was incredible and made me believe by the sheer power of his will that some day everything might be back to normal. At least for tonight.

• Like 9

On 25/06/2020 at 10:39, Angela said:

Roster changes at Bavarian State Ballet:

Principal Dancer Ivy Amista retires from dancing with this season after 19 years with the company. She will work as a ballet master for the company.

Principal Dancers Ksenia Ryzhkova and Jonah Cook return after one year at Zurich.

Nicholas Losada returns to the corps de ballet after one year with Gauthier Dance at Stuttgart. Madison Young from Vienna State Ballet joins als Soloist, Vladislav Kozlov joins from San Francisco als Demi Soloist. Melissa Chapski and Rhiannon Fairless join in the corps de ballet.

Six dancers are leaving: Isabella Knights joins Vienna State Ballet, Dukin Seo joins Ballet on the Rhine at Düsseldorf, Andrea Marino goes to Royal Swedish Ballet. Ziyue Liu returns to China, Stanislava Aitova and Madeleine Pastor are leaving.

The company intends to show Ray Barra’s Swan Lake on September 9. and Peter Wright’s Giselle on September 19. in „slightly adapted versions“ in accordance with the hygiene guidelines that will be in place in Munich in autumn.

Munich soloist Henry Grey announced he is also leaving .... to join Finnish National Ballet as a first soloist.  Congratulations!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hamburg Ballet announced an updated version of next season, as most German theatres only until December 2020. You can download the German booklet here.

Neumeier choreographed a new piece "Ghost Light" for all of his dancers, according to the guidelines of social distancing. It premieres on 6. September and will also go on tour to Baden-Baden in October.  From October on they will show Neumeier's "Death in Venice" and his "St. Matthew's Passion". Hamburg State Opera may allow around 500 visitors instead of the 1600 that normally fit in.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a bit anxious but I did get my tickets for Staatsballett Berlin for late August and September yesterday. Distance is of course a matter in the auditorium, contact data will be collected, bring your ID to the performance is obligatory, resale of tickets is not allowed. At Deutsche Oper, only 415 out of 1859 seats are being sold. Oywey....but I am sooo looking forward to go to a theatre again.💖

Here is the link to "From Berlin with love 1" which is still accessible on youtube:

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

I was a bit anxious but I did get my tickets for Staatsballett Berlin for late August and September yesterday. Distance is of course a matter in the auditorium, contact data will be collected, bring your ID to the performance is obligatory, resale of tickets is not allowed. At Deutsche Oper, only 415 out of 1859 seats are being sold. Oywey....but I am sooo looking forward to go to a theatre again.💖

Here is the link to "From Berlin with love 1" which is still accessible on youtube:

I really enjoyed this End of Season collection.   Many super performances 👏

17 hours ago, FionaE said:

I really enjoyed this End of Season collection.   Many super performances 👏

I am happy that you enjoyed it. My favorite was Iana Salenko's Swan❤. I also got word today that we can watch rehearsals again. The usual precautions of course but what a treat. Next week roll on❤

• Like 3

Alina Cojocaru is awarded ‘Dancer of The Year‘ by Germany’s Tanz Magazine, for her work with Hamburg Ballett.

https://www.der-theaterverlag.de/tanz/aktuelles-heft/artikel/taenzerin-des-jahres-alina-cojocaru-1/

John Neumeier has written some wonderful words about her, but I cannot access the full piece without a subscription.  Here is what I cou”d access (translation by Google😞

DANCER OF THE YEAR
Alina Cojocaru

John Neumeier, ballet director and chief choreographer in Hamburg since 1973, writes his very personal declaration of love to our dancer of the year.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's been almost 20 years since Alina Cojocaru not only danced the pas de deux from “Flower Festival in Genzano”, but also the second act from “Giselle” with Ethan Stiefel at the “Nijinsky-Gala 2001” in Hamburg. Although I had previously experienced Alina as a fascinating dancer in London, this gala performance in Hamburg was a revelation for me. Her interpretation of Giselle was well known. But because of the honest and humane dimension she gave the character, it was as if she had not just interpreted the role, but invented it that evening.

It was stylistically correct, but completely new to me - very modern! On the way to the gala celebration, I met this extremely fragile woman at the entrance to the opera house. Alina didn't want to come with me. She sat alone, quiet, waiting, as it were, and seemed almost disturbed in her shyness, so completely different from the rehearsal situation. After the rehearsals and the gala performance, I was happy to have this moment alone with this strange dancer who impressed me so much. She hardly spoke herself. I tried to explain to her how impressed I was with her performance. Because I saw more than just "Giselle". I saw the potential ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Like 3

On 17/08/2020 at 18:08, Sabine0308 said:

I am happy that you enjoyed it. My favorite was Iana Salenko's Swan❤. I also got word today that we can watch rehearsals again. The usual precautions of course but what a treat. Next week roll on❤

yes Iana Salenko’s white Swan was my favourite too.  She is sublime.  Worth watching for this alone.  

Lucky you with audience participation re-starting.  Enjoy!

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Alina Cojocaru is awarded ‘Dancer of The Year‘ by Germany’s Tanz Magazine, for her work with Hamburg Ballett.

Just for the record:

Performance of the year is the modern opera "The Little Match Girl" by Helmut Lachenmann, staged and choreographed by Christian Spuck for Zurich Ballet.

Company of the year is Zurich Ballet.

Choreographer of the year is Akram Khan, mainly for "Outwitting the Devil", which premiered at the Colours International Dance Festival at Stuttgart.

No male dancer was chosen, too many different nominations.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2020 at 18:11, Don Q Fan said:

I see Mikhail Kaniskin is leaving SS Berlin shortly.  I will be sad not to see him dance again, I liked him in Onegin especially.

He and his wife Elisa in Onegin...they were brilliant. They will perform a Pas de Deux from this ballet as part of the farewell gala for him, can't wait o see this again on Aug 29.

Bavarian State Ballet announced the first performances back after the summer.  The company starts on 9. September with Swan Lake: With the consent of Ray Barra, whose version they dance, balletmaster Thomas Mayr has adapted the choreography in a one-act version with a reduced number of dancers and social distancing in the corps de ballet scenes. They promise a "slight shortening" and say that the spirit of Barra's version will be kept alive.

Cast: Prisca Zeisel and Laurretta Summerscales as Odette/Odile, Jinhao Zhang and Emilio Pavan as Siegfried, Matteo Dilaghi as Rotbart.

On 19. September, Giselle will follow – 30 years ago, this classic was the first work of the newly founded Bavarian State Ballet under Konstanze Vernon. This season should have been their anniversary season, but the galas and dance nights have been postponed to 2021.

Cast: Laurretta Summerscales, Ksenia Ryzhkova, Madison Young as Giselle

200 visitors will be allowed in the National Theatre at Munich (normal capacity: 2100 seats).

New dancers: Vladislav Kozlov from San Francisco Ballet as demi-soloist, Melissa Chapski and Rhiannon Fairless for the corps de ballet.

Principal Dancer Virna Toppi has gone back to La Scala. Henry Grey will go to the Finnish National Ballet as soloist.

Here's a picture of the socially distanced swans:

Schwanensee Bühnenprobe März 2020

• Like 2

Berlin State Ballet announces "LAB_WORKS COVID_19: Choreographies from isolation" - 8 world premieres by dancers of the company

Berlin, August 25, 2020 --- During the lockdown, dancers of the Staatsballett Berlin created choreographies that premiere on 03, 04 and 05 September 2020 at the Komische Oper Berlin.

The Staatsballett Berlin's first new stage production after the lockdown was created by choreographers from the ensemble: Alexander Abdukarimov, Arshak Ghalumyan, Andreas Heise (for Yolanda Correa), Vivian Koohnavard, Olaf Kollmannsperger, Ross Martinson, Johnny McMillan, Dana Pajarillaga and Tara Samaya developed choreographies for themselves and/or dancers sharing the same household during the quarantine with regulations suggested by the Robert-Koch-Institut not only applying in the auditorium but on stage as well.

All eight premieres range from solos to pas de deux to a work comprising seven performers, offering a wide spectrum of movement languages and approaches, from playing with oversized plastic balls in which the dancers move in their own cosmos to making use of digital devices "composing" the music and control lighting effects.

Music by Franz Schubert, Radiohead, Frank Ocean as well as self-composed music and speech is used, sometimes slowed down 800 percent, played backwards and forwards. In their choreographies, the dancers reflect on issues such as the necessity of physical contact, close relationships and various forms of personal and social support. Futuristic visions of our world dealing with the virus share the stage with group choreographies engaging our collective consciousness.

When the lockdown began, Dr. Christiane Theobald, provisional artistic director of the Staatsballett Berlin, asked dancers to develop their own choreographies:

"Experiments - Discoveries - Variety: artistically examining the elementary experience of isolation during the lockdown through dance is central to LAB_WORKS COVID_19. The circumstances that deeply affected the Staatsballett Berlin dancers, often far away from their families, become a choreographic statement which despite limiting factors is quite moving.

LAB_WORKS COVID_19

Choreographies from Isolation

03., 04., 05. September 2020 | 7:30 pm | Komische Oper Berlin

Choreographers in alphabetical order

World premiere

CONTROL SHIFT

Choreography: Alexander Abdukarimov

Music: Johann Sebastian Bach

World premiere

C020

Choreography: Arshak Ghalumyan

Music: Ezio Bosso

DU BIST DIE RUH‘

Choreography: Andreas Heise

Music: Franz Schubert

World premiere

DISTANT LOVE

Choreography: Vivian Koohnavard

Music: Ali Reza Ostowar feat. Hami

World premiere

91_DIVOC

Choreography: Olaf Kollmannsperger

Music: Radio Head

World premiere

THE ZERO (Working Title)

Choreography: Ross Martinson

World premiere

PARLIAMENT

Choreography: Johnny McMillan

Music: Pink Floyd

World premiere

WAVES OF FLESH (Working title)

Choreography: Dana Pajarillaga & Lukas Malkowski

Music: Frank Ocean

World premiere

I'M HERE NOW

Choreography: Tara Samaya

Music: B.E.N.

Choreographers: Ghalumyan, Koohnavard, McMillan, Samaya, Pajarillaga, Kollmannsperger, Abdukarimov, Martinson, photo:Yan Revazov

Choreographers: Ghalumyan, Koohnavard, McMillan, Samaya, Pajarillaga, Kollmannsperger, Abdukarimov, Martinson, photo:Yan Revazov

• Like 2

On 20/08/2020 at 20:07, Sabine0308 said:

He and his wife Elisa in Onegin...they were brilliant. They will perform a Pas de Deux from this ballet as part of the farewell gala for him, can't wait o see this again on Aug 29.

I am so envious you will see his final show....please give an extra round of applause for me 🙏 I will really miss Mikhail.  Enjoy the show👍

On 26/08/2020 at 20:05, Don Q Fan said:

I am so envious you will see his final show....please give an extra round of applause for me 🙏 I will really miss Mikhail.  Enjoy the show👍

Will do!! I was at the dress rehearsal yesterday (tonight is premiere for the 1st gala programme) and we saw them in "Kazimir's colours", it was brilliant. As was the entire programme. Such a diversity, and superb dancers. Everybody was happy to be back onstage and in the auditorium!!  Looking forward to Saturday and following performances.

• Like 3

Good news from Munich were the auditorium for September performances was 200, but they are now allowed to sell 300 more, for a total of 500 👏👏👏

That will make quite a difference to their performances of Swan Lake and Giselle this month, even though it is still not quite 25% capacity.  Maximum is 2,100 ... but you may remember that a number of rows in the stalls have been removed to allow for a more socially distanced orchestra too.   

Both ballets have been adapted with agreement from the choreographers/production rights holders to allow for less dancers on stage and in the wings/backstage.   

It will be very interesting to hear how this goes ... to give hope to other theatres, performers and their audiences.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEj1uJLloul/?igshid=119y1nz82xsev

• Like 1

Ballet Dortmund announces the first gala of the season on 12. and 13. September. Guests include Friedemann Vogel, Artur Shesterikov, Iana Salenko and Daniil Simkin, Lucia Lacarra and Matthew Golding, dancers from the National Ballet of Portugal and Royal Ballet of Flanders.

https://www.theaterdo.de/produktionen/detail/internationale-ballettgala-xxxi

• Like 2

And more from Ballet Dortmund: They announce the creation "Fordlandia" by Lucia Lacarra, who together with Matthew Golding will dance six modern works by Anna Hop, Yuri Possokhov, Juanjo Arqués and Christopher Wheeldon. The title is from a music piece by Jóhan Jóhansson, other music comes from Chopin and Pärt. Lacarra and Golding plan to tour with the production, which also includes film.   Premiere: 19. September.

• Like 3

Yes indeed, it took place: 'Schwanensee' at the Munich State Opera at Wednesday! The ensemble had to make some compromises: only 16 swans, one or two scenes deleted, only 500 in the audience. But that means nothing against a full-length ballet presented again in high quality. It was very touching to see the committment and the dedication of the dancers. There was an heartwarming atmosphere of coming back to life. In their Instragam-accounts they speak about a highly emotional experience.

It is remarkable how well the dancers kept in shape. Apparently they used the time to work on their roles. Small traces of tension and over-motivation (little swans nearly too precise!) will likely dissipate soon. In addition to the leading couple, Prisca Zeisel was presenting a very expressive black swan, there were very nice smaller solos (Elvina Ibraimova, Dmitrii Vyskubenko, Maria Baranova, Alexey Popov and others) and above all Emilio Pavan (excellent redbeard, more and more one of the outstanding dancers in Munich ) and the wonderful Laurretta Summerscales, the sunshine oft he company, making a lot out of the small role of Charlotte. On Friday she will be seen in the main role - if the corona situation doesn't get in the way.

Edited by Oberon
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Oberon said:

Yes indeed, it took place: 'Schwanensee' at the Munich State Opera at Wednesday! The ensemble had to make some compromises: only 16 swans, one or two scenes deleted, only 500 in the audience. But that means nothing against a full-length ballet presented again in high quality. It was very touching to see the committment and the dedication of the dancers. There was an heartwarming atmosphere of coming back to life. In their Instragam-accounts they speak about a highly emotional experience.

Thanks for the report Oberon.

Next performances in Munich are Giselle (also adapted somehow with smaller supporting cast) on 19 and 21 September.   Cast is the same for both:

Giselle - Lauretta Summerscales

Albrecht - Osiel Gouneo

Hilarion - Emilio Pavan

Myrtha - Prisca Zeisel

Edited by FionaE
Name Spelling
  • Like 1

On 10/09/2020 at 11:46, Oberon said:

and the wonderful Laurretta Summerscales, the sunshine oft he company, making a lot out of the small role of Charlotte.

I am not familiar with this version of SwanLake ...can you explain the role of Charlotte please?

• Like 1

To put it simply: the bride in the human world. The Staatsballett explains the part of Charlotte in the first act as follows: " Charlotte, Siegfried’s intended, is lead in by the Queen. When Siegfried signals to his mother that he is not happy with her choice, the Queen once again reinforces her unrelenting will to seal this engagement. With the very first dance Siegfried lets Charlotte know she cannot win his heart. The Prince, deeply affectedly by his mother’s appearance, sinks into depression, his thoughts confused." In a nice variation she shows her attractiveness and beauty. She appears also in the second act.
Edited by Oberon
  • Like 1

Spontaneous, as we all have become, Bavarian State Ballet announces another premiere for 3. November: Instead of "Jewels", which according to the press release "cannot be adapted to the current hygiene guidelines", they will show a triple bill called "Paradigma" with works by Wayne McGregor, Sharon Eyal/Gai Behar and Liam Scarlett (Igor Zelensky obviously has no problems with his troubled past).

The pieces are "Bedroom Folk" by Sharon Eyal and Gai Behar, created in 2015 for NDT 1 and once, in a far time before the virus, part of the plans for a Munich ballet evening in May 2020. "With a Chance of Rain" will be the European premiere of Liam Scarlett’s piece that he made for ABT in 2014. Wayne McGregor’s "Sunyata" was made for Munich in 2018.

As the allowance for 500 visitors is still limited for September 2020, they will sell only 200 tickets for the moment.  The performances of Giselle will continue in October.

• Like 2