Audience Behaviour - Thread 2

4 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I always feel it is somewhat patronising/condescending when people say standards should be relaxed (in anything) to be more inclusive. It implies that the people they are trying to attract are somehow the lower orders and nothing  better can be expected from them.

Exactly.  That’s why I hate that kind of patronising approach.  

• Like 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am pleased to see that ticket confirmation emails from ATG now include the following wording:

“We request that you show consideration to your fellow audience members by ensuring that the only entertainment comes from the professionals on stage. Anti-social behaviour towards staff or other customers will not be tolerated and will result in you being asked to leave the venue.“

• Like 12

I think my phrasing was probably ambiguous, Pas de Quatre - comes from rushing out the post and not checking the content. I’m pretty sure we were both making the same point - that class is or should be, determined by behaviour and not wealth or position and any generalised assumption that people from a deprived background are more likely to behave inappropriately than those who are better placed because they don’t know any better is patronising and condescending in the extreme. I would add that some of the most crass and inappropriate behaviour that I have ever witnessed - and the most snobbish, uninformed and judgemental - has come from the cash-rich parents (some but not, of course, all) at my children’s schools. 

• Like 6

The Prince Charles cinema in London used to do a regular Saturday night film show of Rocky Horror, where the audience were openly encouraged to get dressed up as a character and interact.  That was the whole point of it.  I went to one once and it was great fun.  You accepted that you were probably going to get a few drops of water on you during the rain storm scenes as the audience squirted water bottles in the air.   The well prepared took raincoats or umbrellas to stick over their heads.  I think they occasionally do similar ones for the Sound of Music.  

There is a big difference between a film and a live stage show, though.  For a start, the film stars can't hear you.  .  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fonty said:

The Prince Charles cinema in London used to do a regular Saturday night film show of Rocky Horror, where the audience were openly encouraged to get dressed up as a character and interact.  That was the whole point of it.  I went to one once and it was great fun.  You accepted that you were probably going to get a few drops of water on you during the rain storm scenes as the audience squirted water bottles in the air.   The well prepared took raincoats or umbrellas to stick over their heads.  I think they occasionally do similar ones for the Sound of Music.  

There is a big difference between a film and a live stage show, though.  For a start, the film stars can't hear you.  .  

The cast of Rocky Horror in the stage show version also expect audience partici... 

• Like 1

Yes, the Prince Charles does Singalonga Sound of Music showings.  I have been numerous times and sung my guts out, having had a couple of glasses of vino first!!  I go in a group and it's hilarious fun.  But the clue is in the title...sing along, so you know what you're getting.  I did take one friend once and she sat there stony faced the whole time...I don't think she realised quite how raucous it was going to get!!  One of the best nights out in London!!  :)

• Like 5

During May Week in my final year at college, we went to an outdoor screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  There was plenty of audience action, as one would expect, and we all had our water pistols at the ready for the storm scene when, low and behold, at precisely the right moment, it started to rain.  The shower lasted for exactly the same length of time as the song...

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

During May Week in my final year at college, we went to an outdoor screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  There was plenty of audience action, as one would expect, and we all had our water pistols at the ready for the storm scene when, low and behold, at precisely the right moment, it started to rain.  The shower lasted for exactly the same length of time as the song...

Spoooooky!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I have told the story before about the RB’s performance of Fille in a tent in Battersea Park when the torrential rain outside coincided perfectly with that at the end of Act 1 in the ballet. By the time the audience moved outside for the interval, the sun was shining brightly.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Yes, the Prince Charles does Singalonga Sound of Music showings.  I have been numerous times and sung my guts out, having had a couple of glasses of vino first!!  I go in a group and it's hilarious fun.  But the clue is in the title...sing along, so you know what you're getting.  I did take one friend once and she sat there stony faced the whole time...I don't think she realised quite how raucous it was going to get!!  One of the best nights out in London!!  :)

Are they still doing them?  Rocky Horror was every Saturday, but I haven't seen it advertised  recently.  

Maybe we should have a ballet forum Singalonga for those who live in London.  I am sure our rendition of the Time Warp would be a joy to behold.  And it would get everyone in shape for the fouettes and fish dives we will be performing at the ROH..... 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

The cast of Rocky Horror in the stage show version also expect audience partici... 

We found out by accident that an old boss of mine and his wife were Rocky Horror fans and used to get dressed up to go and see it in Liverpool or Manchester!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Are they still doing them?  Rocky Horror was every Saturday, but I haven't seen it advertised  recently.  

Maybe we should have a ballet forum Singalonga for those who live in London.  I am sure our rendition of the Time Warp would be a joy to behold.  And it would get everyone in shape for the fouettes and fish dives we will be performing at the ROH..... 

Yes....it's about time we did the Time Warp again....

Very pleased to say that they are still doing Rocky and SoM.  See below....

The Prince Charles Cinema | INTERACTIVE EVENTS

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Was going to ask Janet if her post was on today or yesterday’s Dance Links that she herself compiled 😂- actually, it’s only because the article wouldn’t show up for me and I was wondering if it was behind a paywall. Did the reporter say this is a new trend or did the ushers say that was over a long period, eg  last 10 years? 

5 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Was going to ask Janet if her post was on today or yesterday’s Dance Links that she herself compiled 😂- actually, it’s only because the article wouldn’t show up for me and I was wondering if it was behind a paywall. Did the reporter say this is a new trend or did the ushers say that was over a long period, eg  last 10 years? 

I had no problem accessing it.  Basically it's just saying that it's all got a lot worse post-Covid, and that middle-aged women in particular seem to be letting go of the stress of it all...having been locked down, presumably often with kids.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

The Toronto Star isn't paywalled and I had no trouble accessing it.  Sorry.

I hadn't included the article in Links as it doesn't mention dance at all.

• Like 1

Gosh the Battersea tent days I remember some performances there but not why they were in the Park ….was it some summer time venture they were trying out at the time? 

Also as an amateur dancer at Harlow Theatre once a group of four of us were about to dance a number called Spring Romance after a pretty violent thunderstorm and just as we ran on stage to start a series of drips started from the ceiling continuing throughout the performance. It was crucial that none of us caught the others eyes!!! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, MaddieRose said:

In the interval at the BRB2 Gala. IF YOU INSIST ON WEARING BANGLE. BRACELETS DON’T JANGLE THEM!! ESPECIALLY NOT DURING THE QUIETEST PARTS!!

(Oh and someone was blowing their noise in time with Swan Lake) 

Don’t scream at me but I do rather like the idea of someone blowing their nose in time with Swan Lake. If you have to do it, do it with style …

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Don’t scream at me but I do rather like the idea of someone blowing their nose in time with Swan Lake. If you have to do it, do it with style …

I did find it rather funny, at least the first few times. I couldn't figure out exactly where they were until they sneezed on the person next to me during the Second Act. At least 3 people, myself included, turned to give them tissues, and any further problems were averted. 

On the side of good behaviour there was a little boy in my row, about 6 or 7, and he did get up out of his seat a couple of times, but only ever to check whether there was anyone in the orchestra pit. And there were 3 groups from local dance schools in, and they were good as gold as well. 

• Like 2

...I wasn't the earliest in my row to arrive in the amphi on Thursday night, and half a dozen were kind enough to stand, allowing me to squeeze past. Not the last man. He was hauled up by his companion. I sat, and was about to remove my bag from across my body and place it on the floor, when said bag flew across my lap and hit the young lady on my right. Mr Less-Than-Courteous had taken exception to its position, without giving me time to move it. I turned and asked him how dare he touch my stuff and he said it had hit him as I sat down. Yes, as I sat down. Evil me. After an exchange of views he told me he was a regular and would have me removed. I wished him good luck sweetheart as I've been coming to this House since 1969 (true, but misleading).

He chuntered away, in his veddy refained voice, telling his companion how rude I was.

First interval I chose to leave the other way. Came back and asked him ever so politely please not to lean on me if he was trying to see more clearly, as it made me uncomfortable and he was in my personal space. Again with the threats to have me removed, repeated at the start of the second interval. Night saved by lovely girls on my right who said if he did try, they would support me to the usher, and apologised for his behaviour even though they had nothing to do with him.

One of the lovely girls works in the ROH marketing department! 

• Like 11

On 29/04/2023 at 15:22, MaddieRose said:

In the interval at the BRB2 Gala. IF YOU INSIST ON WEARING BANGLE. BRACELETS DON’T JANGLE THEM!! ESPECIALLY NOT DURING THE QUIETEST PARTS!!

(Oh and someone was blowing their noise in time with Swan Lake) 

Ever since this annoying woman kept doing jangling her bracelets at a music recital at Barbican Hall (Violinist Maxim Vengerov making a long awaited comeback after being off for a few years with an injury-one of those will he ever perform again type injuries, so an extremely rare and valued appearance for the audience ) I’ve been contemplating writing to venues to ask them to include “please remove noisy bangles” on their list of prohibitions/instructions. Surely it is only common sense and courtesy not to wear something like that to a theatre or concert, but it seems like women/anyone doing that simply have no synapses or are extremely egotistical and self obsessed. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sophoife said:

...I wasn't the earliest in my row to arrive in the amphi on Thursday night, and half a dozen were kind enough to stand, allowing me to squeeze past. Not the last man. He was hauled up by his companion. I sat, and was about to remove my bag from across my body and place it on the floor, when said bag flew across my lap and hit the young lady on my right. Mr Less-Than-Courteous had taken exception to its position, without giving me time to move it. I turned and asked him how dare he touch my stuff and he said it had hit him as I sat down. Yes, as I sat down. Evil me. After an exchange of views he told me he was a regular and would have me removed. I wished him good luck sweetheart as I've been coming to this House since 1969 (true, but misleading).

He chuntered away, in his veddy refained voice, telling his companion how rude I was.

First interval I chose to leave the other way. Came back and asked him ever so politely please not to lean on me if he was trying to see more clearly, as it made me uncomfortable and he was in my personal space. Again with the threats to have me removed, repeated at the start of the second interval. Night saved by lovely girls on my right who said if he did try, they would support me to the usher, and apologised for his behaviour even though they had nothing to do with him.

One of the lovely girls works in the ROH marketing department! 

So sorry to hear you had meet this horrible man on your visit to ROH, Sophoife, especially after travelling thousands of miles to get here! I’m very glad the girls on your right came to your defence and supported you.

By the way, I also had the same misfortune to come across an individual that behaved rather like this in 2019, also in the Amphi, who came with companion and had a rather snooty “I’m so posh” affected voice and a fetish for throwing bags. He kept trying to sit on my seat as well as his own- he wasn’t obese (I can understand if some unfortunate person just finds Amphi seats too small for them) but I think he was trying to complain that the seats were too small for what they had paid or more likely, for his inflated sense of self worth.

It did get to the point that he was trying to sit on my leg in a rather #MeToo sort of way! So I put my handbag (it’s quite a generous sized shoulder bag but smaller than a backpack) on my lap so that if he tried to get further, the metal attachments on the bag would stop him. When the show ended and everyone got up to leave, he retaliated by throwing his heavy gym bag on my foot and pretending to be deaf when I confronted him. Then finally he turned around in his fake-posh voice and declared he’d done it on purpose, claiming that I’d been “pushing” him all evening! 

His companion, whom he hadn’t said a nice word to all evening stayed silent and looked apologetic throughout the whole exchange. I told the head of front of house afterwards who said they’d check the ticket purchase details and warn him that he could be barred from coming back for his behaviour if he was the buyer -or if he was a one-time guest, to warn his companion that he was not welcome. I did get asked if I wished to report him for assault. I thought about it but felt the Met Police probably had more serious crimes to deal with that week.....but I certainly would if I came across him behaving like that again.

I haven’t said in an Amphi seat with no arm rests since, apart from when there was social distancing in 2021, and to be honest, they aren’t low prices nowadays so it’s no loss. Perhaps it’s a warning also to other female forum members in case this individual returns with a different companion- although he looked like he hated the experience and wasn’t keen to return! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Comments relating to people’s experiences at the RAH this week (see ENB Cinderella thread ) have brought me across here to elaborate on mine.

- late arrivals pushing past - tick

- popcorn munching and spilling - tick

- people smelling strongly of drink - tick

- children kicking the back of seats - tick

- a lot of talking during the performance - tick (the couple next to me discussed dancers’ tits and bits 😵 )

To be honest, I anticipated that a Saturday matinee would have its disadvantages but all this was a bit much.

And the RAH really must do something about its toilet facilities. The insufficiency for women results in whole intervals being spent queueing, physical as well as verbal confrontations, female incursions into the gents’ * and late returns into the auditorium.

(* The 4 cubicles behind the cafe are now labelled For All Genders but the others not.)

• Like 1