ROH Spring 2023 booking experiences

5 hours ago, RHowarth said:

Once I'd had SCS in basket for 3 performances I didn't dare go back for the 4th performance I wanted, so I made a separate booking for that on my phone. I couldn't get SCS and couldn't afford my normal amphitheatre seat (far side of row F - F39) so had to get restricted view. Can anyone advise if the view from C35 and 36 in amphi is OK? 

It's probably reasonably okay, but you're shorter than I am, so you may lose more of the stage than I do.  

• Thanks 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, alison said:

It's probably reasonably okay, but you're shorter than I am, so you may lose more of the stage than I do.  

Thanks Alison. I've actually checked back and I've sat in C36 before and thought it was fine. In my panic I also snapped up D5 in SCS...I know D7 is fine for me but D4 isn't, so I'll have to decide whether to stick with C36 in amphi or D5 in SCS for Bracewell/Kaneko!

45 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

The seat view doesn’t make the restriction very clear but part of stage right is definitely not visible from B16.

8C9C5D80-429E-4465-AECC-11B86DE4C0F7.png

I think there's a lot of seats with some restrictions that aren't labelled as such.

I just sat in SC A-90 and 89, they're top priced seats, no restrictions, but in Sleeping Beauty you cannot see certain moments involving those on the thrones at all, that's not in sight.

3 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Not sure if anyone got a notification saying "You have reached your ticket limit for this performance/already have tickets in your basket" when you actually haven't got any for that particular performance yet. I only noticed this today, not sure why it's happening.

The nearest I may have experienced to that this morning was when D5 for the 5/4 Cinderella was showing in a fairly dark colour and yet I couldn't press on it to either book or see the view from the place....as though it was indicating I'd already booked it in the session (which I haven't) 

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

The nearest I may have experienced to that this morning was when D5 for the 5/4 Cinderella was showing in a fairly dark colour and yet I couldn't press on it to either book or see the view from the place....as though it was indicating I'd already booked it in the session (which I haven't) 

Rob - what is the restriction for D5? Is it the pillar? 

I'd say it’s more the overhang of the Grand Tier there’s no pillar or anything but I have to say dislike the extreme ends of either sides because the overhang is the same both ends.
I’ve got really fussy in my older age and only really like standing between D. 20 to D.35 though D41 and 40 are not too bad. I stood in D.9 last time I stood which was so so but D.10 has the pillar. Some standing although quite central have objects hanging down which could also be a bit of a nuisance though not too obstructive unless two or three of them.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MJW said:

I see there are still quite a few seats available for the Cinderella Gala. Do the Galas tend to sell out quickly?

When I click on the gala all I'm getting is the tickets for the performance. 

Oh, OK, I see that they're at a higher price. I thought the gala was in the thousands though?

Edited by emmarose

3 hours ago, RHowarth said:

Thanks Alison. I've actually checked back and I've sat in C36 before and thought it was fine. In my panic I also snapped up D5 in SCS...I know D7 is fine for me but D4 isn't, so I'll have to decide whether to stick with C36 in amphi or D5 in SCS for Bracewell/Kaneko!

I suspect the problem for you would be that D1-4 (and the equivalents on the other side) are behind "tall seats". I'd have thought D5 would be okay, though, as it's at the end of the "normal" standing places.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I'd say it’s more the overhang of the Grand Tier there’s no pillar or anything but I have to say dislike the extreme ends of either sides because the overhang is the same both ends.
I’ve got really fussy in my older age and only really like standing between D. 20 to D.35 though D41 and 40 are not too bad. I stood in D.9 last time I stood which was so so but D.10 has the pillar. Some standing although quite central have objects hanging down which could also be a bit of a nuisance though not too obstructive unless two or three of them.  

I'm just under five feet so never have an issue with the overhang or the hanging objects - but anything in front of me is a different matter! I don't like the four on the extreme at either side (1 - 4 and the opposite) but it sounds as if D5 might be ok for me. Thanks Lin and Alison! 

• Like 2

I think the seat view is great and obviously miles ahead of what you get booking at other theatres.

But I have noticed the curtains closed in the picture often makes it seem like the view is less restricted than it actually is (at least to me). It’s difficult to tell angles and the depth of the stage when you’re dealing with essentially a 2D cover to try and ascertain a 3D view (if that makes sense!). Particularly angles and views from non central positions I think can look much worse when the curtain is up!

also as @LinMM mentions some of the hanging bits for the scs standing can be a distraction if you’re taller, and it’s also little things like the floor sloping on the scs right (?) so stuff hanging is more likely to be in the way of you’re taller and towards the high 30s, whereas if you’re very short you may struggle with high twenties/low 30s as the height of the arm rest bar is much higher there than it is elsewhere I think, from memory…nuances regulars come to know and (un)appreciate - will depend on preferences and your height etc. 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, MJW said:

I see there are still quite a few seats available for the Cinderella Gala. Do the Galas tend to sell out quickly?

I had a look earlier (entirely out of curiosity, I certainly can't afford it) and was surprised at how many seats had sold. All the stalls circle & grand tier, nearly all the balcony & most of the central stalls block. Considering the prices are considerable higher than the rest of the Cinderella performances, & those in turn are significantly raised compared to the top ballet prices prior to this season, I thought most people would look at the gala in horror & book a normal performance with the same cast, but evidently I'm wrong. I guess a lot of ROH patrons have a lot more money than I do!

8 minutes ago, JNC said:

I think the seat view is great and obviously miles ahead of what you get booking at other theatres.

But I have noticed the curtains closed in the picture often makes it seem like the view is less restricted than it actually is (at least to me). It’s difficult to tell angles and the depth of the stage when you’re dealing with essentially a 2D cover to try and ascertain a 3D view (if that makes sense!). Particularly angles and views from non central positions I think can look much worse when the curtain is up!

Yes, I agree with this. You can't really tell how bad the restriction is likely to be for the depth of the stage. For instance the photos for the far sides of the stalls circle show that you can't see anywhere near the top of the stage but I don't think people would necessarily realise that from those seats you can barely see to the back of the stage in the far corner, let alone see anywhere near the back of the stage on the near side. (Particularly a problem in Swan Lake when neither the vision of Odette in Act III nor Odette's jump off the rock in Act IV are visible.)

• Like 2

I’ve written under ROH in my phone 

Standing(Stalls Circle)  : 23-36 and 40 and 41! 
Then a list of seats in preference order mainly in row D of the Balcony but with some side row A from 54-60 and 32-26 
And that’s it for the ROH at the mo!! 

I will occasionally force myself to sit towards the front of the Amphi( rows A-E)  but only if the seats are under £90 as otherwise would prefer to pay another £10 or so to sit in the Balcony if they are that much. 
I don’t go anywhere near as often as I used to or on occasions would like to but prefer at least a seat with a reasonable view which will of course cost more or a good standing view. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I had a look earlier (entirely out of curiosity, I certainly can't afford it) and was surprised at how many seats had sold. All the stalls circle & grand tier, nearly all the balcony & most of the central stalls block. Considering the prices are considerable higher than the rest of the Cinderella performances, & those in turn are significantly raised compared to the top ballet prices prior to this season, I thought most people would look at the gala in horror & book a normal performance with the same cast, but evidently I'm wrong. I guess a lot of ROH patrons have a lot more money than I do!

My amphi ticket for the gala was £66, instead of £51 for the ordinary Cinderella performances; given how expensive these tickets are anyway now I thought it wasn't unreasonably more for the gala since the first night of the new production is such an exciting prospect. (Doesn't mean I have a lot of money though!). Of course I didn't even look at the prices lower down in the theatre which are prohibitive for me even on a normal night.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

@bridiem Yes, it was the prices lower down I was looking at. Well, the stalls prices since the other tiers have pretty much sold out. £275 for the gala vs £170 for the rest of the run seems like a big jump in price to me.

Wow! If my calculations are correct (which is open to question!) that means the increase for the stalls seat is c 62% and for the amphi seat c 30%. Makes mine seem like a bargain!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

@bridiem Yes, it was the prices lower down I was looking at. Well, the stalls prices since the other tiers have pretty much sold out. £275 for the gala vs £170 for the rest of the run seems like a big jump in price to me.

Unless I’m mistaken, the whole point of the Gala is that it has been conceived and advertised as a fundraiser for the ROH which is why ticket prices are higher. Surely, any initiative that coaxes money out of the pockets of those who can afford it and into the depleted coffers of the ROH deserves to be applauded if it helps keep ticket prices down for other performances? 

If ticket sales are slow then that is most likely down to marketing and promotion of the event. Personally I wouldn’t have scheduled it on a Monday evening  nor would I have had any further performances of Cinderella for at least 2 weeks if not a month after the gala so that it had some exclusivity. It is all too easy to think that by waiting 2 days one can see the same production (less Gala trimmings) for less and thus not bother with the gala.

That said. I hope the gala finds its audience among the wider population and that it is hugely successful in raising funds as intended.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Personally I wouldn’t have scheduled it on a Monday evening  nor would I have had any further performances of Cinderella for at least 2 weeks if not a month after the gala so that it had some exclusivity. It is all too easy to think that by waiting 2 days one can see the same production (less Gala trimmings) for less and thus not bother with the gala.

There are still two months before the Gala and Stalls tickets were not available online until today.

It would be almost impossible for a ballet to be prepared for a special event and then ‘laid off’ for a fortnight or more.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I didn't say that it's not a good idea & I said I was surprised at how well it's sold, not that ticket sales are slow.

And I wouldn't assume that block in the stalls are all actually sold. These seats have been shown as unavailable from Day 1 because they were part of the packages the ROH is offering.

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Surely, any initiative that coaxes money out of the pockets of those who can afford it and into the depleted coffers of the ROH deserves to be applauded if it helps keep ticket prices down for other performances?

"Down".  That would be great, but my observations indicate that the prices are the same, and in some cases even higher, than the already exorbitant prices for Sleeping Beauty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alison said:

"Down".  That would be great, but my observations indicate that the prices are the same, and in some cases even higher, than the already exorbitant prices for Sleeping Beauty.

but this is because it’s the first “premiere” gala night?

I think the other prices are equivalent to sleeping beauty, which seems fair.

I think the gala is a good idea as PeterS says to raise money for those prepared to pay more for the first night. From what I can see it’s sold well (proving maybe there’s only so much sleeping beauty/swan lake etc people can take and something “new”/different appeals widely). I think it’s fairer if anything to charge more for the gala and have the regular tickets cheaper…

• Like 1