Ashton's Cinderella - new Royal Ballet production

"The offer you heard about is part of a specially-targeted initiative to attract selected audiences to the Royal Opera House for specific performances only. "

So, to all the Friends who have not been sent the offer.  You are just not select enough.  Start polishing up those vowels now.   

Seriously, I am not a Friend and never have been.  However,  if I thought I was being left out of an offer purely because I normally go for cheaper seats, I would be very annoyed indeed.  

• Like 2

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
11 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Seriously, I am not a Friend and never have been.  However,  if I thought I was being left out of an offer purely because I normally go for cheaper seats, I would be very annoyed indeed.  

I don't believe cheaper seats are the (entire) criterion since my seats are in the upper price tiers and I've been left out of both offers.  If I recall the last time I asked the Friends office said it was the marketing dept's decision

and on a sort-of related note - Happy Birthday to opening night Cinderella, Marianela Nuñez

Edited by oncnp

31 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Absolutely. And who can say that people who normally go for cheaper seats won't splash out on a more expensive seat for a special occasion? If, as appears to be the case, the ROH is keen to lose the 'rich punters only' tag, this is hardly the way to go about it. Nor does it make the less affluent Friend feel in any way valued.

• Like 3

Just now, Blossom said:

I wonder how The Ashton Foundation and Wendy Ellis Soames are feeling around the new production.

On In Tune yesterday WES said that she absolutely adores the new production and designs.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sim said:

On In Tune yesterday WES said that she absolutely adores the new production and designs.  

Hardly surprising since she is in overall control.

I wonder whether she is aware of the dismal ticket sales situation, given that the ‘keep it all under wraps’ decision must’ve been hers, at least in part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

Hardly surprising since she is in overall control.

I wonder whether she is aware of the dismal ticket sales situation, given that the ‘keep it all under wraps’ decision must’ve been hers, at least in part.

I am sure everyone is aware.  Hopefully it will get wonderful reviews and sales will then pick up.  It seems to me that the marketing department at the ROH needs a serious overhaul.  I used to work in marketing and it's a pretty basic tenet that if you have to charge high/er prices for something you really have to convince people that it's worth parting with their money.  Here, with not much information or pre-publicity and posters that don't immediately speak to the general public, and the high prices, it's not surprising that sales are slow...especially when so many are struggling with higher cost of living.

• Like 10

Guest oncnp

I'm sure (I hope?) the houses will be full even if the ROH has to give the tickets away.  Otherwise it would be such a slap in the face to everyone who has worked so hard only to play to a half empty house through no fault of their own. 

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

I am sure everyone is aware.

I rather hope that the dancers aren’t.

It can’t exactly feel good if you know that sales for your performance have not been strong.

Agree that, hopefully, there will be enthusiasm and a flush of publicity after the opening night.

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, capybara said:

I rather hope that the dancers aren’t.

It can’t exactly feel good if you know that sales for your performance have not been strong.

But everyone, aside from the first cast, is in the same boat so they must know it's not down to them 

I suppose they thought that due to scheduling quite a few matinees, during the Easter holidays, that would be enough to aim at their presumably target audience of children and families.

But I think that type of audience is more likely to book for a once a year well known event like the Nutcracker, instead of a less famous ballet, that has little to no information out there apart from the rehearsal insight video.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Well, all I can say is that as with so much of the ROH's marketing, it's just weird.

+100

Can’t say that often enough. In subsidised houses (however “poor”) the inept, the incompetent and the simply stupid can find it easier to get a job and to stay in that job and (oh dear) even get promoted, despite a record of failure.

It all depends on how “success” is defined. Seats sold is not necessarily the only or most important metric - that I agree with - but gosh, how much bad stuff slips by under that cover.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I suppose they thought that due to scheduling quite a few matinees, during the Easter holidays, that would be enough to aim at their presumably target audience of children and families.

But I think that type of audience is more likely to book for a once a year well known event like the Nutcracker, instead of a less famous ballet, that has little to no information out there apart from the rehearsal insight video.

I think families will be more inclined to book the more affordable Cinderella on this season....

34 minutes ago, Blossom said:

I think families will be more inclined to book the more affordable Cinderella on this season....

Is that the ENB one?

I'd say the Royal Albert Hall website is worse than the ROH's, given that the ROH no longer puts users through the waiting room ridiculousness - at least not in my recent experience.

I'm tempted to book though, it definitely looks more affordable

9 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Is that the ENB one?

I'd say the Royal Albert Hall website is worse than the ROH's, given that the ROH no longer puts users through the waiting room ridiculousness - at least not in my recent experience.

I'm tempted to book though, it definitely looks more affordable

Yes!

53 minutes ago, oncnp said:

ROH has posted new Reel in IG about sets

Not before time!

Most of the reel is of carpenters building the framework but I have to admit that, in the brief glimpses we are given of the end product, the set does look beautiful.

• Like 3

Surely the ROH is taking a huge risk here?   It seems they are being rather secretive about the new designs and costumes.  What purpose does this serve? Are they sure that these will be so wonderful that there will be a stampede for tickets once the reviews come out?  What happens if, heaven forbid, many of the critics are less than ecstatic?   

I am sure the dancing will be wonderful, but having seen one revamp of an Ashton ballet that I thought was absolutely horrible, I am beginning to feel a bit worried.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

the ROH no longer puts users through the waiting room ridiculousness - at least not in my recent experience.

I was put into the waiting room only last week (while trying to book a Friends rehearsal ticket) Admittedly this was the same booking morning when a lot of people who had yet to book any tickets were told they had reached their booking limit (as discussed on the Forum) The machinery was perhaps having an off day. 

5 hours ago, oncnp said:

I don't believe cheaper seats are the (entire) criterion since my seats are in the upper price tiers and I've been left out of both offers.  If I recall the last time I asked the Friends office said it was the marketing dept's decision

and on a sort-of related note - Happy Birthday to opening night Cinderella, Marianela Nuñez

ditto because I received the email but have never booked a seat in the stalls or balcony! I think the most I’ve ever spent is £60 in the amphi! 

Re sets and costumes - maybe they are no pictures as they’re running a bit last minute (or rather they weren’t quite finished when they were doing the production/marketing)?

I do want this to sell well and be a sellout for all the work that’s gone into it. I hope roh blames ticket sales on the pricing rather than anything else (eg Ashton or something…)

I don’t know the stats on how many discounted tickets they’ll have to sell but I hope selling out doesn’t reinforce Roh’s pricing strategy they have at the moment to price high then discount - and causes them to rethink pricing from the outset to be more affordable.

particularly if they are targeting families and this is an expensive day out - a child does not get discount (which I think is actually fair?) but it will cause parents to pause. 

Edited by JNC

5 hours ago, Fonty said:

Whatever the criteria, it seems clear that being someone who normally goes for  cheaper seats is not a reason for being excluded from the discount offer, going by the posts, for example, of JNC above, along with Mummykool and MildConcern.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JNC said:

particularly if they are targeting families and this is an expensive day out - a child does not get discount (which I think is actually fair?) but it will cause parents to pause. 

I think it’s quite unfair given that they run the young person discount for people who are actually at work.  As a parent, if it wasn’t for the fact that I’m a rabid Ashton super fan and praying for a Friday Rush ticket, I would probably just take my child to The ENB production where we do get a discount - and let’s face it, I don’t think most families having a nice trip out for the holidays will consist of Ashton crazy balletomanes. I suspect ticket sales will pick up eventually, but I do think those prices are self sabotaging.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

I think it’s quite unfair given that they run the young person discount for people who are actually at work.  As a parent, if it wasn’t for the fact that I’m a rabid Ashton super fan and praying for a Friday Rush ticket, I would probably just take my child to The ENB production where we do get a discount - and let’s face it, I don’t think most families having a nice trip out for the holidays will consist of Ashton crazy balletomanes. I suspect ticket sales will pick up eventually, but I do think those prices are self sabotaging.

Young people don’t get standard discount. They also don’t necessarily work if they are students (although the poorest likely have to to supplement meagre student support loans, but we’re talking the lower paid part time jobs most likely in this instance).

The whole point of the young people scheme is to get them interested in attending ballet/opera at that age when finances are tight (you’re either a student with not much financial resource, or only starting out on your career so getting paid the least you’ll probably be during your lifetime). If you get these audiences in at this age then they could become lifetime regulars. I guess I may be biased as I benefitted from the scheme but it definitely worked in my case! Of course yes you could argue some rich young people will take advantage but it’s not practical to means test such a thing - by the time you bothered to resource that any point of it is just eroded. 

I’m not 100% sure how it works now but back in the day selected performances (we are talking 1-2 per year for ballet, not for “popular”/more expensive ballets like swan lake but more the modern mixed bills priced cheaper) would be designated as Young Roh where the amphitheatre only would have some discounted prices. In addition, if there were some unsold tickets last minute (again, not like Cinderella a week in advance but 24 hours in advance) you could snap up tickets for £10. This was pre pandemic so I have no idea how it works now, though I can see an upcoming sleeping beauty is designated roh but no idea if the reduced pricing is still in play.

I appreciate I’m not a parent but at the end of the day a bum on the seat is a bum on the seat - when children reach a certain age they are charged full price for airplane tickets etc as the same principle. Seems unfair on one hand, on the other hand it means roh (and other businesses) don’t have to factor in % of children that might attend to overall pricing strategies as this would effect overall sales. You’d need a consistent child discount across every single performance, which would cost ROH much more than the odd Young ROH discounts they provide. 

I think overall pricing too high is an issue generally - even if you had child discount you still need the adult to afford taking them and paying for their own seat! 

Sorry maybe a bit off topic but I’m a big supporter of the Young ROH scheme, or at least what it used to be. 

• Like 4

I generally get excited about new productions. However. I have to say that, for now,  I’m not at all excited by the prospect of Cinderella. But I’ll go with an open mind and am prepared to be converted. So, “ Salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi-bobbidi-boo “  fairy godmothers work your magic and RB bring it on….. toi toi toi

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I generally get excited about new productions. However. I have to say that, for now,  I’m not at all excited by the prospect of Cinderella. But I’ll go with an open mind and am prepared to be converted. So, “ Salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi-bobbidi-boo “  fairy godmothers work your magic and RB bring it on….. toi toi toi

The fairy godmother has a beautiful dress! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

Ref running time, the event today started at 11am and ran until 2:30pm.  However, I'm not sure how the intervals were timed and we also finished before 2:30pm but the dancers and staff then stayed on the stage to discuss and re-practice for a while. 

That was presumably the pre-General?

I very much doubt that the show will run to 3.5 hours and tomorrow’s General will not necessarily give an entirely reliable indication.

The 2 hours 55 minutes given me by an official source (see up thread) feels realistic.

• Like 1