Friends of Covent Garden 60th Anniversary Open Day?

• 5 weeks later...

ROH seems to be on a Friends charm offensive

We’re always looking for ways to do more for our Friends and are delighted to announce a new program of events for our new Season, exclusive for you! For our 2022/23 Season, we will be holding a pre-performance drinks event for each booking period. Further information will be coming soon, but for now, we wanted to share the dates:

Autumn: 29 November 2022 Mayerling 

Winter: 1 February 2023 Tannhäuser

Spring: 27 April 2023 Cinderella

Summer: 6 July 2023 Don Carlo 

If you’ve already booked tickets for the performances of Mayerling and Tannhäuser above, we’d love to see you for a drink beforehand! If you haven’t yet booked tickets, it’s not too late! You can book online here. 

A very enjoyable afternoon - a particularly highlight was the Swan Lake pas de deux with Lukas Bjørneboe Brændsrød and Charlotte Tonkinson - what a handsome couple, Took my mother along for a day out in London (she had no interest or ballet or opera but still enjoyed it!)

Apologies for the imaging (it was taken through the glass partitioning on the upper level of the floral hall)

IMG-0954 new.jpg

Edited by MJW
  • Like 9

We had a fabulous morning, it was so interesting learning more about what goes on behind the scenes and being able to participate in the Q&A sessions. We were so close to Charlotte and Lucas during their Swan Lake PDD, it was an absolute joy!

• Like 5

Very much enjoyed the morning - the Swan Lake pdd was the highlight. Charlotte and Lukas not only danced well but were  very engaging with their answers (and during the quiz from what I saw towards the end). David Pickering and Laura McCulloch were also excellent in answering ‘Ask a dancer anything’. I thought the stage fighting/tricks of the trade very well done. And good to catch the Jette Parker Artists. Alex Beard couldn’t make the morning session - did he manage the afternoon’s session; I hope he did? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Very much enjoyed the morning - the Swan Lake pdd was the highlight. Charlotte and Lukas not only danced well but were  very engaging with their answers (and during the quiz from what I saw towards the end). David Pickering and Laura McCulloch were also excellent in answering ‘Ask a dancer anything’. I thought the stage fighting/tricks of the trade very well done. And good to catch the Jette Parker Artists. Alex Beard couldn’t make the morning session - did he manage the afternoon’s session; I hope he did? 

No he didn't - I wasn't quite sure who the lady was who introduced the afternoon -her microphone wasn't working at first!

1 minute ago, MJW said:

No he didn't - I wasn't quite sure who the lady was who introduced the afternoon -her microphone wasn't working at first!

If she was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and trainers, with long hair and glasses, she was the head of membership.  We had her in the morning. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m very pleased to see the invite for the next Friends event, 29 November - the McRae/Takada Mayerling cast for the evening’s performance:

“We’d be delighted if you could join us before the performance of Mayerling ... As well as a chance to meet your fellow Friends, we’re excited to welcome some of the company’s esteemed coaches to discuss the process of rehearsing this stunning production.”

I know there was a bit of scepticism about the original suggestion of Friends’ drinks but this looks a fascinating aperitif.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

I’m very pleased to see the invite for the next Friends event, 29 November - the McRae/Takada Mayerling cast for the evening’s performance:

“We’d be delighted if you could join us before the performance of Mayerling ... As well as a chance to meet your fellow Friends, we’re excited to welcome some of the company’s esteemed coaches to discuss the process of rehearsing this stunning production.”

I know there was a bit of scepticism about the original suggestion of Friends’ drinks but this looks a fascinating aperitif.

Is this an invitation for all Friends as I haven't received anything (yet!)?

On 07/10/2022 at 22:46, oncnp said:

If you’ve already booked tickets for the performances of Mayerling and Tannhäuser above, we’d love to see you for a drink beforehand!

The invitation may well be sent only to those who’ve booked Mayerling given what was set out in the original notification of Friends’ events which oncnp posted above.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m booked for the Royal Ballet in class on stage on 16 December ( which is also a perfect excuse not to go to my employer’s Christmas do!) and have just received an invitation for Friends drinks do afterwards.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MJW said:

I’m booked for the Royal Ballet in class on stage on 16 December ( which is also a perfect excuse not to go to my employer’s Christmas do!) and have just received an invitation for Friends drinks do afterwards.

The way I read this is that it is not so much a "drinks do" as an opportunity  to purchase mince pies and a cup of tea/coffee from the bar after the Class on Stage. Still, we are promised "an insight into the importance of ballet class with an exclusive discussion with special guests from The Royal Ballet."  

6 hours ago, Nina99 said:

The way I read this is that it is not so much a "drinks do" as an opportunity  to purchase mince pies and a cup of tea/coffee from the bar after the Class on Stage. Still, we are promised "an insight into the importance of ballet class with an exclusive discussion with special guests from The Royal Ballet."  

I hadn't noticed that bit! I've RSVP'd to go and I'll see how I feel closer to the date.