RBS Associate results

Sooty

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can’t believe I’m writing this, but does anyone have experience of an Elmhurst/ Birmingham MAs combo being allowed?! Or of asking to change centres?!

Congratulations to the yesses, and hold on in there not the not yets. It often really is “not YET”. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MissEmily said:

Can’t believe I’m writing this, but does anyone have experience of an Elmhurst/ Birmingham MAs combo being allowed?! Or of asking to change centres?!

Congratulations to the yesses, and hold on in there not the not yets. It often really is “not YET”. 

As in going to Elmhurst and attending MAs? If so, no it isn't allowed.....or when one parent asked at our open day they were told no. 

Tbh they are so tired they need the rest time at weekend, especially when they pick up the RAD lessons on a Saturday, and when apparaisal week and show week approaches. The school also made it very clear in a recent email that students shouldn't be missing days for workshops at other schools.....ie the RBS Spring Intensive which was on during our last week of term. So any RBS MA workshops would not be authorised either. 

• Like 2

We handed back our DDs mids place once we had firmly decided on Elmhurst. I see the associates as opportunities for those students who either didn't get into vocational school, or don't want to move away from home at a young age. Doing both makes no sense to me?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

We handed back our DDs mids place once we had firmly decided on Elmhurst. I see the associates as opportunities for those students who either didn't get into vocational school, or don't want to move away from home at a young age. Doing both makes no sense to me?

Absolutely, it’s counter productive actually and most vocational schools don’t allow students to attend other weekly classes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

This is us - my DD isn’t ready to be away from home so we didn’t even think of applying for vocational and we’re sticking to associates. I know it’s a huge long shot but I’m hoping the kids who’ve been offered vocational places take them and a Mids place comes up for her! 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MamaFrosty said:

This is us - my DD isn’t ready to be away from home so we didn’t even think of applying for vocational and we’re sticking to associates. I know it’s a huge long shot but I’m hoping the kids who’ve been offered vocational places take them and a Mids place comes up for her! 

I think there should be some movements

based on that. There definitely will be children who plan to accept a vocational offer, but who have received a Mids offer today, and will be/need to hand one back. I hope it works out in your favour. 

8 hours ago, MissEmily said:

Like others have said, if it’s full-time Elmhurst, rather than YDs, then it will definitely not be allowed. Lots of YDs do both, but the full-time students are not allowed to attend associate classes anywhere, and have RAD class on Saturday mornings. The rest is more needed than additional training, as they are doing so much already, and the school take a very dim view of anyone wanting to supplement what they are already getting at school.

Congratulations to your student! And to everyone with a yes. To those that didn’t get the response they were hoping for, don’t give up. A lot can change in a year, so although you are feeling battered by the process at the moment, it is worth another try.

Most of the children in DD’s class had MA offers that they handed back, so there would have been over 20 places returned just from that small group, so don’t lose hope on the waiting list. It may take some time, though, as going to boarding school is a huge decision, so people often hold onto their place until they are 100% sure. Most of the waiting list movement that we knew of took place in June-July time, rather than quickly.

Edited by SissonneDoublee
  • Like 5

Congratulations everyone...there is a huge amount of movement with mids....we handed our place back as well as most of her year as she was vocational....was a bit sad handing it back as it was such an accomplishment (she only got year 6 JAs and most of that was on zoom so didn't really get the proper experience....) but with hindsight i can see why schools do not allow the weekend training. They're shattered by the time the weekend comes around and they need a break! Plus mids training gives other children a chance you haven't chosen to go down the vocational route. Best of luck all those on the swl that those spaces become available x 

It was a London no for my son.

Whilst obviously a yes would be flattering, a no was easier in our case. Our circumstances have changed so much since the audition he couldn’t have gone (due to the war in Ukraine and older siblings and grandparents moving in here from Ukraine the house is overcrowded and massively financially stretched as well as rather disorganised.)

Pupils attending vocational school and MA/ SAS has always been a controversial topic. 
Ultimately vocational schools do not own our children and if some parents do not deem RAD classes necessary over having Royal training once a week, then it should be their prerogative. 

If applying for upper school at RB,it is better to have had some access to their training than RAD. RB have a specific way of training not taught at other vocational schools. 
If we had our time again, we would not have given the place up. 
Better to not shut the door completely I believe. Just my musings!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

Does anyone know the London MA year 7 class times? Are they in a mixed year group class?

we have a very happy DD here xx

excited to be going to London 

Congratulations - it is only girls and only boys - for girls MA1 time was for autumn and spring 1.00- 3.15 (arrival 12.40), but it is changing for summer - 12.30 - 2.45 (arrival 12.00). I not sure about boys - I think they are about half hour earlier or later). Well done. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MissEmily said:

I know that YDA, Moorland and Tring allow their students to enjoy RBS Mids at the weekend. I believe it comes on the understanding that school commitments come first. Some students carry on with Mids whilst ensuring that they have made the correct choice about vocational school and don’t want to give up their Mids place in case vocational isn’t for them. I know of Mids moving centres. A girl at my DD centre moved. Now is the time to ask, whilst they are looking at filling places from the wait list.