20 minutes ago, Elz said:

Just booked tickets for this at ROH. Never heard of any of the Three ballets before. Obviously know and love Stravinsky, but this is a new one for me.

Anyone know it? What's it like? Will the choreography be super modern? 

They are three very different but equally lovely ballets.  No, the choreography is not super modern...classical and neo-classical.  You will enjoy them, I am sure.  :)

1 hour ago, Elz said:

Just booked tickets for this at ROH. Never heard of any of the Three ballets before. Obviously know and love Stravinsky, but this is a new one for me.

Anyone know it? What's it like? Will the choreography be super modern? 

It's elegant, stylish, witty, beautiful. Can't wait to see it again!

• Like 4

Scenes de Ballet is an utter Ashton masterpiece and I have been really fortunate to have heard Antoinette Sibley just rave about the work and her joy at dancing it.

Lesley Collier, another very fine exponent of the central role, commented that Ashton changed/adapted many of his works but not Scenes de Ballet.  She said she felt it was a work he was particularly proud of.

I envy you having the chance to see it.

• Like 4

Thanks you, I was already really looking forward to it, and now and am even more excited!

Here is the cast:

Scènes de ballet

Conducted by Emmanuel Plasson

CastSarah Lamb, Vadim Muntagirov

A Month in the Country

CastMarianela Nuñez, Matthew Ball

Rhapsody

CastFrancesca Hayward, Marcelino Sambé

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Elz said:

Thanks you, I was already really looking forward to it, and now and am even more excited!

Here is the cast:

Scènes de ballet

CastSarah Lamb, Vadim Muntagirov

A Month in the Country

CastMarianela Nuñez, Matthew Ball

Rhapsody

CastFrancesca Hayward, Marcelino Sambé

Wow!

• Like 2

I think Scenes is quoted as being Ashton’s favourite ballet (of his own works)? 

I have never seen before but am very very excited. I love the look of the costumes too and apparently it is meant to be good to see from various angles! (Unlike most works which are designed for face on.)

Also very excited to see Rhapsody in full. I agree that Month is a very touching one act ballet - it tells a beautiful story in a deep but concise way (I’m making it sound clinical but it’s simplicity but also depth is what gets me!). 

Overall a good mixture of different flavours of Ashton I think both in choreography, look, and feel. What a wonderful set of performances this is lining up to be! 

• Like 5

I've finally got round to looking up this & Rhapsody (something I probably should have done before booking!). I'm surprised to find the running times are only 16-18 minutes for Scenes de ballet and 22-24 minutes for Rhapsody. It's going to be quite a short programme. Certainly in comparison to when Month was done with 45 mins Firebird & 40 mins Symphony in C in 2019.

• Like 2

• alison changed the title to Scènes de ballet

Yes arguably they could have squeezed in perhaps one additional ballet (how long is Symphonic Variations or A Birthday Offering or perhaps Monotones?). 

The Ashton Bill I’m 2014 combined Scenes, A Month, Five Brahms Waltzes and Symphonic Variations. (Much of which features on the DVD I think?) 

I understand set changes would cause additional complications as would casts (particularly if people are off with covid etc) so I can see why they haven’t done it. 

At the end of the day just very happy to have an Ashton bill and hope it sells well and future programmes are considered. Not that it’s a competition but I’d be interested to see how it sells compared to the modern mixed bill and also if the audience demographics are particularly different. I think there is room for both types of programming of course! 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I've finally got round to looking up this & Rhapsody (something I probably should have done before booking!). I'm surprised to find the running times are only 16-18 minutes for Scenes de ballet and 22-24 minutes for Rhapsody. It's going to be quite a short programme.

you're forgetting the 30mins intervals to top up the bar coffers 😉

• Like 7

I think that we have had this discussion  about the brevity of both Scenes de Ballet and  Symphonic Variations, and the possibility of squeezing another short work into the programme to add more dance time to the programme, in the dim and distant past. I think you are going to have to accept  my assurance that Scenes de Ballet is an extraordinarily compelling and substantial piece of choreography which, if well cast throughout, does not need any sort of make weight and whose effect would be much diminished by the addition of a few divertisements somewhere in the programme. You need time to digest Scenes and savour it.

In 2014  Kevin staged an Ashton mixed bill which included both Scenes and Symphonic. Perhaps Kevin thought it would be an interesting experiment to put the two works on stage in a single programme but it did not work for me as it led to far too much approximate casting although it helped to explain why it was never, to my knowledge, attempted in Ashton's lifetime. I don't think that you can hope to put Scenes de Ballet and Symphonic Variations on the same bill with any hope of success even if you have no intention of double casting either work. Kevin's experiment did not reveal a depth of hidden talent in the form of purely Ashton style classical dancers in the company's ranks,on the contrary it had the effect of showing where the supply of such dancers ran out. My recollection is that both ballets were double cast and while one of the Symphonic casts was fine the rest of the casts in both works were less than ideal being only good in parts. The reason for this variability was that double casting both ballets resulted in the most suitable dancers being far too thinly spread across the two works. The problem is that when it comes to casting these two ballets there is a terrific overlap between the dancers most suited to both works. Symphonic is a killer for everyone involved in it as the entire cast of six remains on stage throughout the entire ballet. Scenes is a little more forgiving but everyone appearing in it including the entire corps has to be needle sharp and precise in every movement they make and recognise the absolute necessity of keeping the floor plan clear throughout. In my limited experience of poor performances of Scenes it is usually the four men, who at various times act as moving scenery,the ballerina's cavaliers and living sculpture, who let the side down by being ragged and slightly out of sync with each other. The best performances field a corps composed of mature senior dancers who can be trusted to understand the need for complete accuracy and precision throughout.

Rhapsody was created as a bravura display piece for the greatest male dancer of his generation and I suspect that it took that dancer to the edge of what was physically possible then and now. It is the length dictated by the duration of the music to which it is set and the dancer's stamina and endurance. Clearly Kevin thinks that he has three dancers who can do the work's pyrotechnics justice and wants to show then off. I fear that all three men will approach the choreography as an opportunity for tackle its challenges rather than displaying its undoubted beauties which is why I am sorry that Hay is not dancing with Hayward in this revival because they are one of the few casts that I have seen who make it look beautifully Ashtonian. While A Month in the Country is a great work I should have loved to see Kevin staging a revival of the full Apparitions.  I can't help wondering why Kevin is so helpful to the Ashton Foundation when he shows so little interest in staging any of the  ballets they have worked on or on staging any of the works which we saw excerpts from at the Fonteyn gala. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, FLOSS said:

I fear that all three men will approach the choreography as an opportunity for tackle its challenges rather than displaying its undoubted beauties which is why I am sorry that Hay is not dancing with Hayward in this revival because they are one of the few casts that I have seen who make it look beautifully Ashtonian. 

I quite agree: it looked totally different with them in it.  

• Like 5

I’m not an expert by any means but I’m surprised that Muntagirov is then not cast in Rhapsody, I know he is cast in Scenes so perhaps that is why but seems a bit of a missed opportunity? To my (inexperienced eye) he seems to have the technique and bravura surely? (Unless he is not considered ‘Ashtonian’ in which case I’d be interested to hear what is, this isn’t a challenge more curiosity!) 

Hasn’t Campbell done Rhapsody before, didn’t he do the excerpt pas de deux with Takada last year? 

I vaguely recall Hay was injured (?) so perhaps he’s still recovering? (Sorry if I’ve got this wrong!)

Anyway I’m quite happy with the casts as set out and would have happily seen all three casts for each but sadly time does not allow. 

As an aside the costumes for Scenes are absolutely fantastic, they really epitomise the mix of classical and quirky which I feel fits the neoclassical ballet theme well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JNC said:

Hasn’t Campbell done Rhapsody before, didn’t he do the excerpt pas de deux with Takada last year? 

Yes, and they were wonderful!  I would have liked the same pairing for the full performance, but I am hoping  Takada/Corrales will be fine.

10 hours ago, JNC said:

I vaguely recall Hay was injured (?) so perhaps he’s still recovering? (Sorry if I’ve got this wrong!)

Happily he has recovered from injury, and has just been performing Mercutio in R&J.  I am also sorry he has not been paired with Hayward again for Rhapsody. 

• Like 1

I really don’t want to see any of the male casts of Rhapsody.  All will be too frantic to show off their virtuoso technique.  

It’s meant to be the opposite of that.

It’s meant to look easy … See YouTube of Baryshnikov or Polunin .. hence the final “it was nothing” position.  

I’m guessing James Hay would be able to carry this off.   But sadly he is not cast.  

I’m sure the lead ballerinas will all be super.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Yes, and they were wonderful!  I would have liked the same pairing for the full performance, but I am hoping  Takada/Corrales will be fine.

I must admit that Corrales hadn't struck me as an obvious choice for the male role.  Wait and see, I guess.

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

I really don’t want to see any of the male casts of Rhapsody.  All will be too frantic to show off their virtuoso technique.  

It’s meant to look easy … See YouTube of Baryshnikov or Polunin .. hence the final “it was nothing” position.  

I’m guessing James Hay would be able to carry this off.   But sadly he is not cast.  

I'm looking forward to seeing Sambé because he does convey a joy in dancing so I hope that will come through. But I'm very disappointed that Hay and Campbell haven't been cast in this.

• Like 7

I don’t know Rhapsody but I feel safe booking tickets for any cast knowing that RB dancers aren’t cast in roles they can’t rise to the challenge of and in preparation for which they receive the coaching in both steps and style necessary to the piece from those that have danced the roles ahead of them. 

one of the most memorable things I took from the Ashton Insight was, I think, Wayne Eagling saying that all Ashton breathes and evolves with each generation of dancers and that there is space for individual interpretation. if I thought each of the three casts I have booked would be identical, there would be no point in wanting to see all three. 

Edited by prs59
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, prs59 said:

I don’t know Rhapsody but I feel safe booking tickets for any cast knowing that RB dancers aren’t cast in roles they can’t rise to the challenge of and in preparation for which they receive the coaching in both steps and style necessary to the piece from those that have danced the roles ahead of them. 

one of the most memorable things I took from the Ashton Insight was, I think, Wayne Eagling saying that all Ashton breathes and evolves with each generation of dancers and that there is space for individual interpretation. if I thought each of the three casts I have booked would be identical, there would be no point in wanting to see all three. 

I'm seeing all three casts too, and I agree that all RB dancers are very talented. That's not the same as saying that they're all going to be equally suited to all roles or that there aren't other equally talented dancers who wouldn't bring different qualities to the roles.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And Vadim would have been good in Rhapsody judging by his rehearsals of speedy technique needed for Paris Opera’s Raymonda … but possibly he can’t be cast in all 3 ballets of the triple bill given the shows are so condensed together.  Such a shame!  I wonder if he had a say in the matter?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FionaE said:

And Vadim would have been good in Rhapsody judging by his rehearsals of speedy technique needed for Paris Opera’s Raymonda … but possibly he can’t be cast in all 3 ballets of the triple bill given the shows are so condensed together.  Such a shame!  I wonder if he had a say in the matter?

With 2 DonQs, 3 Swan Lakes and 4 Giselle's (in S.Africa) in the space of 5-6 weeks, might have been too much?

5 hours ago, FionaE said:

Disappointing that someone can write people off in respect of a performance that they haven't yet seen.

I too would have loved to have seen Hay/Hayward together again in Rhapsody.  Last time, their performance brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful.  However, it will be interesting to compare and contrast what those who are new to the roles have to offer.  

In a way, perhaps nothing could have surpassed or even come close to the Hay/Hayward performance that I saw, so maybe it's better for me to always keep that beautiful memory...who knows if they would have reached those heights again?  Maybe...but I am so grateful to have seen them at that peak a few years ago.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Sim said:

I too would have loved to have seen Hay/Hayward together again in Rhapsody.  Last time, their performance brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful.  However, it will be interesting to compare and contrast what those who are new to the roles have to offer.  

In a way, perhaps nothing could have surpassed or even come close to the Hay/Hayward performance that I saw, so maybe it's better for me to always keep that beautiful memory...who knows if they would have reached those heights again?  Maybe...but I am so grateful to have seen them at that peak a few years ago.

Hayward/Hay we’re indeed beautiful together with part of their loveliness attributable to an apparent lack of effort.

Other male dancers since Baryshnikov have had a tendency to ‘give it too much’ . But I’m giving all the casts a ‘go’ this time. 

• Like 2

Dancing is subjective. I suppose we can’t get our dream casting all the time and our dream casting may not be the same as others. 

I always have casting preferences of course but then sometimes I’m disappointed by a particular performance and end up being wowed by something/someone else I hadn’t expected.

I think what I mean to say is I’m sure all casts will give it their all and have been appropriately coached. There still may be comments reflecting a particular style or technique and criticism is also valid to give (post performance) but I think it’s good to go with an open mind!

• Like 5