Royal Ballet's Giselle - Autumn 2021

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, prs59 said:

If I counted correctly Fede (rico Bonelli) danced an awesome 32 entrechat sixes (?) if that’s what they’re called this afternoon, and it didn’t interrupt the story at all but rather added to it (IMHO).

*It* may not have done, but the audience reaction unfortunately did :( 

• Like 1

On the subject of the male entrechats, do all the men do it with their arms down by their sides?  I thought the video clips shown further back in this thread made it look rather odd?  I am not sure why, if Albrecht is being danced to death, he would lose the use of his arms but not the use of his legs. 

15 minutes ago, Fonty said:

On the subject of the male entrechats, do all the men do it with their arms down by their sides?  I thought the video clips shown further back in this thread made it look rather odd?  I am not sure why, if Albrecht is being danced to death, he would lose the use of his arms but not the use of his legs. 

I think it's just more impressive because it's harder to do with your arms down by your body. I think Federico for instance does 25ish perfect entrechats and then starts flapping his arms for the last few ones, when real exhaustion kicks in. Once I saw Bolle doing 40 without ever moving his arms and the audience went wild.

Edited by AnticaFiamma
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

I think it's just more impressive because it's harder to do with your arms along your body. I think Federico for instance does 25ish perfect entrechats and then starts flapping his arms for the last few ones, when real exhaustion kicks in. Once I saw Bolle doing 40 without ever moving his arms and the audience went wild.

What did the Wilis do during those!? Go and have a brew?

• Like 16

You know you've been Yas'd - when a concerned lady sitting opposite (on the train home) asks if you're OK!

I was just ruminating my thoughts some 30mins after the performance on my train from London Bridge, and it must have shown on my face - even witha mask on!

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Sim said:

And what a confident debut from Julia Roscoe as Myrthe.  An imperious queen, truly regal and in control.  Gorgeous.  

*Was* it her debut?  Why does she only get the one scheduled performance, then?  Agree that she did very well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

Isn't bras bas the standard arm position for static jumps?  That's certainly the way I've always been taught.  Or does it depend on which school you follow?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, capybara said:

It was her official debut. Schools matinees don’t count, apparently.

Yes I was referring to her official public debut.  Julia was busy today as she was back as a Wili tonight.  Amazing. 

• Like 4

Wonderful performance from Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball tonight. Many layered; so beautiful dancing, deep characterisation and acting.  What a pairing they are!  I found so much to enjoy.

I was looking forward to seeing Matthew's "caddish" Albrecht and caddish is exactly the right adjective. So different from Vadim's elegant aristocrat and more interesting in my eyes in terms of added value characterisation. I found myself thinking - I've seen this ballet so many times, but there is always something different to look out for - and that's the joy. His dancing in Act 2 was very impressive and his ability to enhance this with acting out the story, made the impact even more powerful.   

Talking about that, Gary Avis's gem of a Duke of Courland completely side tracked me!  So much to see: the roll of the eyes, the lift of an eyebrow, the - let's get on with the hunting, is she really asking Giselle to dance.... how it added to my enjoyment. 

Marianela Nunez as Myrtha - the most commanding Myrtha I have seen so far, with such clear commands to her Willis and to Albrecht and Hilarion.  Superb dancing technique (of course) for the most difficult sequences. 

Top class performances again from Olivia Cowley and Melissa Hamilton (dream team) as Moyna and Zulme. 

I also loved Harry Churches' Wilfred - very kow-towing to his master.. More really good acting. 

The corps de ballet  - out of this world again. Spine tingling stuff. 

The only "even better if" was the pas de six which for me, lacked impact and spark.  

Finally - Yasmine's Giselle. Absolutely superb in every aspect. I have no other words. As an emotional experience, this performance will take some beating. 

• Like 17

37 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

Wonderful performance from Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball tonight. Many layered; so beautiful dancing, deep characterisation and acting.  What a pairing they are!  I found so much to enjoy.

I was looking forward to seeing Matthew's "caddish" Albrecht and caddish is exactly the right adjective. So different from Vadim's elegant aristocrat and more interesting in my eyes in terms of added value characterisation. I found myself thinking - I've seen this ballet so many times, but there is always something different to look out for - and that's the joy. His dancing in Act 2 was very impressive and his ability to enhance this with acting out the story, made the impact even more powerful.   

Talking about that, Gary Avis's gem of a Duke of Courland completely side tracked me!  So much to see: the roll of the eyes, the lift of an eyebrow, the - let's get on with the hunting, is she really asking Giselle to dance.... how it added to my enjoyment. 

Marianela Nunez as Myrtha - the most commanding Myrtha I have seen so far, with such clear commands to her Willis and to Albrecht and Hilarion.  Superb dancing technique (of course) for the most difficult sequences. 

Top class performances again from Olivia Cowley and Melissa Hamilton (dream team) as Moyna and Zulme. 

I also loved Harry Churches' Wilfred - very kow-towing to his master.. More really good acting. 

The corps de ballet  - out of this world again. Spine tingling stuff. 

The only "even better if" was the pas de six which for me, lacked impact and spark.  

Finally - Yasmine's Giselle. Absolutely superb in every aspect. I have no other words. As an emotional experience, this performance will take some beating. 

Beautifully put, Jenny.  I think that tonight they raised an already-high bar.  Unforgettable. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I was looking forward to seeing Matthew's "caddish" Albrecht and caddish is exactly the right adjective

Matthew Ball seems to have cornered the market in multi-layered cads: Albrecht during this run (I’m looking forward to the screening; his sneering, public school Tybalt just a few weeks back. Are you trying to tell us something, Matthew?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, the pas de six have been distinctly variable in this run.  Given the interesting mix-and-matching which has been happening, I suspect injuries etc. may have played a role in that.

When I was watching the rather wayward pas de six at the first performance, I found myself thinking that some of the men looked as if they thought they were still in Dante Project and couldn't make the physical adaptation necessary for Giselle. The style and force were wrong and not well controlled. But I don't know if they were actually in DP because I didn't check back, so this may be a red herring.

I want last night expecting to fall in love again with Giselle; it’s the only 19th Century ballet that holds my interest all the way through. And there were certainly many things to enjoy: Yasmine Naghdi’s beautiful line and exquisite sense of movement & stillness in act 2, the wonderful, constantly in the moment Myrtha of Marianela Nunez (really, worth the price of the ticket alone), the powerful and beautifully danced massed ranks of Wilis (the work from these artists is incredible) plus the heartfelt performance of of Matthew Ball as Albrecht. 
But I - largely - remained unmoved. Probably it was just my mood, maybe the Stalls Circle wasn’t the best place to watch from. However, I did find some of the tempi extremely slow & variable (does it really *need* to be that slow? I thought the streamed rehearsal also slow to the point of pedestrian so I assume it’s what is wanted!) but especially in act 1 it seems to undermine essential nature of the ballet itself. Also at one point the brass section of the orchestra sounded rather disjointed - was it just me or did anyone else notice that?
The pas de six seemed somewhat dull (& I have very much enjoyed it in the past!). Was it again the speed or just that the dancers were having an off night? Joseph Sissens is a dancer I like a lot and who has beautiful lines but seemed to struggle with some aspects of the choreography and while David Yudes was good his more compact frame was highlighted when dancing in unison with his compatriots. William Bracewell may have been a better match. Megan Grace Hinkis did nothing wrong (those pirouettes - on her ‘wrong’ side I believe - to attitude are tricky & were well done) but she is not a dancer I warm to. I did however like Isabella Gasparini + Ashley Dean. The latter I think may be promoted to Soloist next? 
Giselle as a ghost seems to be great fit for Yasmine Naghdi’s undoubted gifts as dancer but I wasn’t so so convinced by her act 1, Giselle as a village girl. She danced beautifully but she just seems too aristocratic! This very much works in Sleeking Beauty, Swan Lake etc. but in some ways I could see the roles being reversed: Giselle the noble daughter & Albrecht the boy from the village! 

Edited by Ianlond
  • Like 11

The lead couple for the Pas de Six would not have been my choice for the streaming.

There is an element of 'giving dancers turns' to be filmed, but...........!!!!

Otherwise - super cast and it will be interesting to watch them all through the camera's lense.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, capybara said:

The lead couple for the Pas de Six would not have been my choice for the streaming.

Otherwise - super cast and it will be interesting to watch them all through the camera's lense.

Of the ones I have seen,  Bracewell/Gasparini would have been my choice for the streaming.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Of the ones I have seen,  Bracewell/Gasparini would have been my choice for the streaming.  

I don’t think Bracewell and Gasparani have danced the lead pas de deux  in the same performance.  It was Bracewell and Hamilton. 

3 hours ago, Ianlond said:

Giselle as a ghost seems to be great fit for Yasmine Naghdi’s undoubted gifts as dancer but I wasn’t so so convinced by her act 1, Giselle as a village girl. She danced beautifully but she just seems too aristocratic! This very much works in Sleeking Beauty, Swan Lake etc. but in some ways I could see the roles being reversed: Giselle the noble daughter & Albrecht the boy from the village! 

I actually think an “aristocratic” Giselle works.  There is always the strong possibility that Giselle is the product of a “droit de seigneur” event, which is why her mother has an immediate and instinctive dislike for Albrecht.  And perhaps subconsciously he is drawn to her because she is a bit of a cut above the other village girls.   I was totally convinced by her mad scene in Act 1.  I thought it was utterly believable and very poignant.  

As for Albrecht, he is pretending to be another village lad.  If his noble background is in any way obvious he would fail in his attempts to beguile Giselle, so he has to suppress all signs of his noble breeding to be convincing…and that’s what Matthew Ball does.  

As with all art, there are many ways of looking at it!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I don’t think Bracewell and Gasparani have danced the lead pas de deux  in the same performance.  It was Bracewell and Hamilton. 

Well unless I am going mad that’s who I saw at yesterday’s matinee…

• Like 3

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Who were the lead couple last night?

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

The lead Peasant couple at yesterday's matinee was, as Sim says, Gasparini and Bracewell.

Last night it was Hinkis and Yudes.

Ah, not to appear mean or anything, but Hinkis just does nothing for me as a dancer. I know she's popular in certain circles, but I just don't really see it with her. Some roles she gets I think would be better performed by others.

But of course, its subjective, I imagine some people absolutely adore her dancing. It's just a personal thing.

17 minutes ago, capybara said:

The lead Peasant couple at yesterday's matinee was, as Sim says, Gasparini and Bracewell.

Last night it was Hinkis and Yudes.

29 minutes ago, Sim said:

Well unless I am going mad that’s who I saw at yesterday’s matinee…

Apologies, Sim. I have been following the various casts ( of which there are many combinations) and this latest one escaped me! 

• Like 2

Another thought about last night:  forget numbers of entrechats six....how about those two 'Bolshoi' lifts??  I don't think I have ever seen them done so perfectly.  In both lifts, Miss Naghdi was in a perfect horizontal position, and when Matthew lowered her, she remained straight and horizontal until she was almost on the floor.  I don't think I have ever seen that before, and it was a beautiful moment...twice over.   Yet another example of the trust and understanding these two have for each other.  For me, it's the complete artistic package;  they are technically on the level, and their emotional connection is one that comes of years of dancing together and of mutual respect.  I am really looking forward to their performances of R&J and Swan Lake next year.  

• Like 8