Royal Ballet's Giselle - Autumn 2021

This glorious production opens on Thursday, 4 November, with the stellar cast of Osipova/Clarke/Magri.  

However, I would like to draw attention to the incredibly hard work of the corps de ballet, as shown in this wonderful video of them rehearsing Act 2 on World Ballet Day last week.  I just had a lump in my throat all the way through.  They make the beauty of this act look so effortless and graceful onstage, but so much hard work is required to get to that point.  With the truly fabulous Samantha Raine (who has really made a huge difference to the corps in the past few years) coaching them, and their own hard work and dedication, no wonder the end result is so beautiful.  Great to see two upcoming Myrthe debutantes (Annette Buvoli and Julia Roscoe) standing together in the line.   This is the best 36 minutes I have spent for a long time!!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_JiP9sYzg

Enjoy...and I look forward to reading everyone's views here after opening night!

• Like 14

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is indeed a wonderful video, Sim!

I think the first night Myrthe is in fact Mayara Magri. I'm not currently due to see Nunez in the role, but I'm sorely tempted to book more performances in order to see more Myrthes!  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sim said:

What a cast!  Enjoy it!  

Without attempting any review, this only being the Rehearsal, I am pleased to report that everything seemed to go very well for all concerned! Just the odd problem with some of the flower picking and throwing!  😂

Much to look forward to in the forthcoming performances!☺

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Without attempting any review, this only being the Rehearsal, I am pleased to report that everything seemed to go very well for all concerned! Just the odd problem with some of the flower picking and throwing!  😂

Much to look forward to in the forthcoming performances!☺

One dancer probably left handed and the flower had definitely been planted

• Like 4

Without making any attempt to review, I did start thinking during the rehearsal that Isabella Gasparini could make a beautiful Giselle herself. In terms of Act 1 she is exceptionally expressive - in terms of her joy in dancing suiting the role and her hugely expressive eyes, plus she seems naturally suited to the romantic style in act 2.

• Like 13

Just seen on Instagram that the Royal Ballet in Reherasal - Giselle with Julia Roscoe, Yasmine Naghdi & Matthew Ball will be on the ROH Youtube channel at 7.30 tonight. Guessing that it will be available for a few days afterwards as usual...

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, EVWS said:

Just seen on Instagram that the Royal Ballet in Reherasal - Giselle with Julia Roscoe, Yasmine Naghdi & Matthew Ball will be on the ROH Youtube channel at 7.30 tonight. Guessing that it will be available for a few days afterwards as usual...

Here's the link to tonight's Insight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Aa8cmDgd0

Are details of future streamed insights available on the ROH's website other than applying the "online only" filter to tickets/events?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, EVWS said:

Thanks for confirming this - wasn’t sure they were going to show it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVWS said:

Oh blast - and I'm still in the office :(  I do wish they'd give you more - and wider - notice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EVWS said:

Thank you for posting this, EVWS! Just watched this and it was brilliant! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EVWS said:

hope it’s available for more then a few days! I don’t understand why they can’t be available forever, it’s hardly a full free performance that eats into dvd revenue for example? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I thought she seemed admirably confident for someone who is not even a first artist yet (although I am sure she soon will be).  

I had assumed when watching the rehearsal that she was a First Artist. So that means that Myrthe will be danced during this run by at least one dancer from each of the main 5 RB ranks (no Principal Character Artists). It makes me wonder why the RB bothers to have all the different ranks, when they sometimes seem to bear little relation to the casting of at least some roles.

• Like 1

I don't think that the various ranks within the company have been rendered meaningless by the fact the role of Myrthe is being performed by dancers of varying degrees of seniority. The role of Myrthe is an artistically and technically challenging which does not suit everyone. Myrthes unlike some of the other roles in the standard nineteenth century repertory are not that easy to find and it is a role that should never be cast purely on the basis of seniority.

Kevin  has said on a number of occasions that he wants to give his dancers artistically satisfying careers even if he can't promote them. As long as we don't end up with approximate casting while he is expanding his dancers' artistic experience I have no problem with junior dancers tackling roles well above their pay grade. I would much rather see performances given by dancers cast according to suitability or perceived potential for a particular type of role than see casts put together on the basis of strict seniority without any thought being given to whether they are right for the roles they have been allocated.

As we don't have the opportunity of seeing the entire company in class on a daily basis or of seeing them in every role they dance I don't think that we are any of us in a position to know what may have prompted these particular casting decisions. Obviously someone has seen something in these junior dancers which has made them think it would make sense to give them an opportunity to tackle the role of Myrthe. I would point out that several of the dancers who have been promoted in the last ten years or so have made somewhat unexpected debuts in roles which you would not necessarily regard as suitable for an inexperienced dancer. The most obvious example of the unexpected assumption of a ballerina role I can think of was when Hayward danced the role created on Collier in Rhapsody. Everyone who makes their way up the ranks of the company has to start that progression with a first step and I can't help thinking that it must help the dancer concerned and boost their confidence if that initial role is one selected on the basis of their perceived suitability for it rather than one selected from  one of the company's standard starter roles. I  am simply sorry that I shan't be able to see all of the new Myrthes.

• Like 23

I loved watching the Insight and already felt choked up watching Matt Ball and Yasmine Naghdi. Hearing from Olga and Monica was such a delight and I loved Julia Roscoe. She reminds me of a Russian classical ballerina and I can't wait to see what she does with the role. I am so happy that Kevin has given Myrthe, Pas de Six, Zulme/Moyna, to dancers who we don't often see in solo roles. It makes everything so much more exciting, especially for those of us fortunate enough to see so many different casts of the same ballet. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, BalletcoForum Moderators said:

A post on this thread has been hidden whilst the moderators consider whether it complies with AUP.

Is this an automatic response?  Because it was obviously about my post, which has been removed.  Perhaps you could let me know privately what was so controversial about it, because I am baffled.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FLOSS said:

I would point out that several of the dancers who have been promoted in the last ten years or so have made somewhat unexpected debuts in roles which you would not necessarily regard as suitable for an inexperienced dancer. The most obvious example of the unexpected assumption of a ballerina role I can think of was when Hayward danced the role created on Collier in Rhapsody.

I've only really been following the RB since 2018 so I've not seen most of the casting decisions of the last decade & I don't know what rank Hayward would have had at that time. Presumably, given the dates in her biography indicate she got a promotion a year for 4 years running, it was evidently early on that she was going to be a star dancer. There don't seem to be any (female) dancers in the lower ranks at the moment who are enjoying comparably rapid rises (though I realise that covid has taken out one season of possible promotions).

Edited by Dawnstar

Well…that was something special!!  Those entrechats six…I wonder if Reece needed advance permission to keep on going like that?!   Sir Peter Wright was in the audience…

What a wonderful night.  ❤️

• Like 15

Natalia was every bit I'd hoped for, technically spectacular and dramatically convincing, especially in Act I, where her pas seul was just perfect: so vivacious and effervescent was her hops en pointe and what a magnificent maneges. Again it seems effortless for her to embody the role of a bubbly ingenue, much like her hard-to-surpass Coppelia.

And indeed Reece Clark was also a joy to watch, but, having only just left the performance a few hours ago, I am understandably still upset about him killing Giselle and getting away with it.

• Like 5