Ashton Foundation and ROH Ashton Events 2021/2022 and beyond

The Ashton Foundation has sent out the following information to its mailing list:

This season marks the tenth anniversary of the Foundation – it was launched in autumn 2011 – and so is somewhat different from previous seasons. Below are the main events:

Monday 13 September 2021. The 2nd Frederick Ashton Lecture in our Frederick Ashton Lecture Series presented in association with the Wallace Collection at 7pm.

Lord Berkeley of Knighton CBE, the well-known broadcaster and composer Michael Berkeley, will deliver the 2021 lecture under the title “SHOCK, JOY and AWE”. His talk will focus on the excitement and necessity of creating new work, and the current difficulties for the creative industries and for art in education. Owing to Covid restrictions, this will be an online event (free).

Registration for the livestream to open shortly. For further information, refer to the Wallace Collection websitehttp://www.wallacecollection.org

Wednesday 27 October 2021. Ashton Rediscovered Insight Performance in the Linbury Theatre, Royal Opera House at 7.30pm

This programme will focus on the six decades of Ashton’s work as a choreographer and will include filmed and live extracts of some of the rarely-performed Ashton works which have been the subject of the Foundation’s Ashton Rediscovered masterclasses. It will also include the first performance for many years of Ashton’s Hamlet and Ophelia, created on Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev as Hamlet Prelude in 1977, and the first public showing of a new 40-minute documentary film commissioned by the Foundation from film-maker Lynne Wake about Frederick Ashton and the work of the Frederick Ashton Foundation.

General booking opens on 24 August. For further details, refer to the Royal Opera House website: http://www.roh.org.uk

Sunday 20 February 2022. Ashton Rediscovered masterclass at the Royal Ballet Upper School at 2.30pm

Les Rendezvous (1933) with Merle Park and Les Patineurs (1937) with Wayne Sleep

A return of the popular Sunday afternoon masterclasses, followed by a drinks reception.

Booking information will be circulated later in the year.

Spring 2022. Ashton Insight in the Clore Studio (date to be announced)

Frederick Ashton, the upcoming Ashton triple-bill and the Foundation will feature in this Royal Opera House Insight event.

Tickets not yet available. For booking and further information, refer in due course to the Royal Opera House website: www.roh.org.uk

23 April – 2 May 2022. An all-Ashton programme at the Royal Opera House.

Scènes de ballet, A Month in the Country and Rhapsody will form this programme. The Frederick Ashton Foundation is most grateful to the Royal Ballet for bringing this anniversary season to a close with this programme.

Tickets not yet available. For booking and further information, refer in due course to the Royal Opera House website: http://www.roh.org.uk
  • Like 9

• 2 months later...

"We hope you are looking forward to seeing our Ashton Rediscovered Insight on Wednesday.

Please note that there will be a 25 minute interval between 8.35pm and 9pm. The event is scheduled to finish at approximately 9.45pm.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Just in case anyone needs to adjust their travel schedule.

• 4 months later...

I haven't spotted the Feb 20th one on the Ashton Foundation web site yet. It was filmed. 

Merle Park rehearsed Leticia Dias in Markova's solo from Rendesvous and Wayne Sleep took Daichi Irakashi through the Blue Boy solo from Patineurs.  It was a good afternoon. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Jane S said:

That link takes me to the video of the previous one, in October - it's the one about Les Rendezvous and Les Patineurs I was hoping to find?

Ah apologies, I hadn't heard that there was a second one! 

• 5 months later...

The Ashton Foundation has just announced the 2 masterclasses for next season. As usual they will be held on a Sunday afternoon, 2.30 to 5.30. They cost £65.

On 16 October the selected ballet will be Daphnis and Chloe and the coaches will be Anthony Dowell and Ronald Hynd.

On 19 February the focus will be Cinderella. So far the coaches for this have not been announced.

Booking is not yet open.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/08/2022 at 18:38, SheilaC said:

The Ashton Foundation has just announced the 2 masterclasses for next season. As usual they will be held on a Sunday afternoon, 2.30 to 5.30. They cost £65.

On 16 October the selected ballet will be Daphnis and Chloe and the coaches will be Anthony Dowell and Ronald Hynd.

On 19 February the focus will be Cinderella. So far the coaches for this have not been announced.

Booking is not yet open.

From the ROH Friend's Newsletter

DAPHNIS AND CHLOE (1951) WITH ANTHONY DOWELL AND RONALD HYND

SUNDAY 16 OCTOBER 2022

The Frederick Ashton Foundation presents an Ashton Rediscovered masterclass at the Royal Ballet Upper School, 46 Floral Street, WC2 on Sunday 16 October at 2.30 – 5.30pm (doors open 2.00pm) where Anthony Dowell and Ronald Hynd will coach dancers of The Royal Ballet in the Daphnis and Dorkon solos from Ashton’s 1951 ballet Daphnis and Chloe. The masterclass, which is filmed for educational and research purposes, is introduced by Jane Pritchard, Curator of Dance at the V&A, and is followed by a drinks reception.

Tickets are £65. For ticket application form, email ashtonevents@yahoo.com or leave a message on 020 7370 2520 (voicemail service)

Edited by oncnp

• 1 month later...

Some may have had the frustration of visiting the Ashton Foundation website recently, trying to access the recordings of the events held on Les Rendezvous and Les Patineurs, only to find that they are denied access to them because the recordings are described as private. I am pleased to say that the Foundation is now aware of this problem and is taking action to make the recordings available. I have also been told that the recording of the event held on Daphnis and Chloe will be made available within a couple of weeks,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Not sure if this is the best place to put this ..

Ashton Masterclass Anthony Dowell coaches Melissa Hamilton & Reece Clarke in Awakening pas de deux from The Sleeping Beauty.

https://youtu.be/njZM4YxEE5M?si=SNzTEuT_KsFH5FQS

That's fascinating and such an enjoyable masterclass, thank you Odyssey. I'm going to add Awakening pas de deux to the wishlist thread!

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Ashton Foundation and ROH Ashton Events 2021/2022 and beyond
On 02/01/2024 at 18:28, Odyssey said:

Not sure if this is the best place to put this ..

Ashton Masterclass Anthony Dowell coaches Melissa Hamilton & Reece Clarke in Awakening pas de deux from The Sleeping Beauty.

https://youtu.be/njZM4YxEE5M?si=SNzTEuT_KsFH5FQS

Wonderful and very enlightening masterclass, and so moving to see Anthony Dowell working with today's dancers. His beauty, lyricism and musicality are still, to me, the pinnacle of classical ballet and it was clear that both the dancers held him in the most enormous respect. His constant emphasis on plié, flow and being less geometric were very telling. Also an interesting introduction from Jane Pritchard. Invaluable.  

• Like 4

What I hadn’t realised, when I first watched this masterclass uploaded to YouTube, is that Jan Pritchard’s initial talk before the masterclass has also been uploaded. This concludes with two recordings of Sibley & Dowell dancing the pas de deux plus the version danced by Bussell & Cope for a gala ( Dowell frequently refers to these during the masterclass) I have never come across any footage of Sibley & Dowell’s pas de deux before, so this was a wonderful surprise. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the links. Watching Dowell here I'm reminded, if it were needed, why the documentary about him was called 'All the Superlatives'. I shall watch this again  and again- it's a benchmark.

• Like 1

I found the second link and clips of Sibley/Dowell fascinating - thank you @Odyssey :) . I may be being completely stupid, but I couldn't find Cope/Bussell's gala clip there -  though I did skip to the end to see the clips and will listen to the presentation when I have time later as I did jump around on the recording. However, I did manage to find the gala on YT. I have to say, Sibley/Dowell were beautiful! How wonderful to be able to see such footage. I didn't feel Cope/Bussell captured what the former pairing did - though that could be just my personal taste. Sibley/Dowell's dancing was magical.What a treat! 

• Like 2

Really enjoyed the talk/films/masterclass posted above. 
I remember this pas de deux very well and Fonteyn and Nureyev made it magical as well. 
Is this kept in the RB current production of Sleeping Beauty does anybody know? 

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

Really enjoyed the talk/films/masterclass posted above. 
I remember this pas de deux very well and Fonteyn and Nureyev made it magical as well. 
Is this kept in the RB current production of Sleeping Beauty does anybody know? 

No, it's not. It seems to be generally thought that it's too different from Petipa stylistically. Personally, I'd be tempted to include it.

• Like 3

Yes  that explains why then that last time I saw Sleeping Beauty I was waiting for this bit and it never came!! 
I was very disappointed! 
I saw all those last Sleeping Beauty performances that Fonteyn and Nureyev did at the ROH right at the end of Fonteyns career and in these performances this bit was always so moving. 
Sibley and Dowell were beautiful too Sibley was so light and quick… these two would be my all time dream couple for The Dream!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

For anyone else interested- thank goodness this is on the ROH official YouTube account or it would be a great hassle, haha!

Bussell & Cope in Ashton's beautiful Awakening pdd. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DLoxHzZ6zu2Y&ved=2ahUKEwjnkbuRzcmDAxWIgf0HHcBeBA8Qjjh6BAgTEAE&usg=AOvVaw0XMMmTOoW_Eop98yYqa5CE

Edited by Emeralds
Originally posted for Linnzi5 but later realised it was actually found
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/01/2024 at 18:35, LinMM said:

Yes  that explains why then that last time I saw Sleeping Beauty I was waiting for this bit and it never came!! 
I was very disappointed! 
I saw all those last Sleeping Beauty performances that Fonteyn and Nureyev did at the ROH right at the end of Fonteyns career and in these performances this bit was always so moving. 
Sibley and Dowell were beautiful too Sibley was so light and quick… these two would be my all time dream couple for The Dream!! 

I believe Monica Mason wanted it to be as close to the version Margot Fonteyn, Robert Helpmann and their contemporaries danced way back with the Oliver Messel designs and the notation from St Petersburg, so Ashton's gorgeous creations were left out (Ashton's garland dance for Act 1 is also wonderful and is no longer danced at ROH, sadly). Would love to see his Awakening pdd (oh that glorious music!) and his Garland Dance/Act 1 Waltz revived as pieces for a mixed bill. They're masterpieces and they make the dancers look beautiful too. 

• Like 2

On 05/01/2024 at 11:00, Linnzi5 said:

I found the second link and clips of Sibley/Dowell fascinating - thank you @Odyssey :) . I may be being completely stupid, but I couldn't find Cope/Bussell's gala clip there -  though I did skip to the end to see the clips and will listen to the presentation when I have time later as I did jump around on the recording. However, I did manage to find the gala on YT. I have to say, Sibley/Dowell were beautiful! How wonderful to be able to see such footage. I didn't feel Cope/Bussell captured what the former pairing did - though that could be just my personal taste. Sibley/Dowell's dancing was magical.What a treat! 

For me, Dowell and Sibley were on a whole other level - pure artistry bringing a special kind of magic which touches the soul.  What an incredible and special pairing they were, which shines through even on grainy old footage.

• Like 7

On 06/01/2024 at 20:36, Emeralds said:

I believe Monica Mason wanted it to be as close to the version Margot Fonteyn, Robert Helpmann and their contemporaries danced way back with the Oliver Messel designs and the notation from St Petersburg, so Ashton's gorgeous creations were left out (Ashton's garland dance for Act 1 is also wonderful and is no longer danced at ROH, sadly). Would love to see his Awakening pdd (oh that glorious music!) and his Garland Dance/Act 1 Waltz revived as pieces for a mixed bill. They're masterpieces and they make the dancers look beautiful too. 

Madness to take out the Ashton.    I've no idea why there was this desire to "go back to the original" when there is such an exquisite addition.  I seem to remember going to an event and the Garland Dance being mentioned.  There was talk that nobody could remember exactly how it went nowadays.  Surely it must have been notated?  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Madness to take out the Ashton.    I've no idea why there was this desire to "go back to the original" when there is such an exquisite addition.  I seem to remember going to an event and the Garland Dance being mentioned.  There was talk that nobody could remember exactly how it went nowadays.  Surely it must have been notated?  

IMO the current Garland Dance is the most disappointing part of the production.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Fonty said:

There's actually an excerpt of the Garland Dance/Waltz in The Magic of Dance! Sadly, the first part is missing. I asume someone has notated it....would really love to see it mounted again, eg for galas or RBS performances. His Waltz choreography for Swan Lake is at least preserved by Derek Deane at ENB (ironically not at RB!).  But the Sleeping Beauty one needs a home! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Ashton Foundation Masterclass on Sunday 18th February was excellent. Anthony Dowell coached Sae Maeda and Leo Dixon in the Thais pas de deux. This was one of the most enjoyable of these sessions that I've been to. Dowell was very engaged and keen to get the best out of the dancers. And full of anecdotes too. I hope this makes it to the web site soon.  There was some vintage film of Ashton coaching Sibley and Dowell from 1972 in a BBC programme. I hope that can be included. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I went to an Insight Evening at least 15 years ago, in which Sibley and Dowell jointly taught Thais to Sarah Lamb and (I think) Thiago Soares.  Sarah had only just joined the company and was still a soloist.  I think she was very pleased to be working with two luminaries of the past.

Sibley and Dowell kept up a banter throughout the session.  As Sibley tried to position the arms of Sarah Lamb correctly, she asked Dowell if he could remember the precise shape.  "Don't ask me," said Dowell, "I was in the middle of my variation and I certainly did not have time to see where you put your arms".

• Like 4