Jump to content

BBC Strictly 2021


Anna C
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know “Strictly” *is* dance, but it’s not ballet (especially with no Darcey) so I thought I’d pop a thread in here, for any fans of the series. 

 

Here’s the lineup for 2021 (in no particular order):

 

Sara Davies (from Dragons’ Den)

AJ Odudu (TV presenter)

Ugo Monye (Broadcaster, ex Rugby player)

Judi Love (Comedian, Loose Women panellist)

Adam Peaty (Olympic Swimmer)

Rose Ayling-Ellis (Actor, Eastenders)

Nina Wadia (Actor, Comedian, Eastenders/Goodness Gracious Me)

Greg Wise (Actor, notably Sense and Sensibility, The Crown)

Tilly Ramsay (Chef, Social Media influencer)

Dan Walker (News and Sports broadcaster)

Katie Mcglynn (Actor, Coronation Street)

Rhys Stephenson (Actor, CBBC presenter)

John Waite (Chef, GBBO winner)

Robert Webb (Comedian)

Tom Fletcher (Musician, McFly)

 

Anton du Beke has been confirmed as taking Bruno Tonioli’s seat this series.

 

Feel free to discuss thoughts/predictions/views here (within forum rules, of course). ☺️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally, Rose Ayling-Ellis is hearing impaired and will be Strictly’s “first deaf contestant”.  In another “first”, John Waite will be partnered with a male professional (although this is more “continuation” than “first”, following Nicola Adams’s short-lived partnership with Katya last year).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the show more last year than in the previous few years as it seemed to be more back to basics.  A bonus was not having the screaming audience!!  I hope it is more of the same this year.

 

It looks like an interesting mix of celebrities this year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I enjoyed the show more last year than in the previous few years as it seemed to be more back to basics.  A bonus was not having the screaming audience!!  I hope it is more of the same this year.

 

Absolutely.  I’d be quite happy without the audience screaming/cheering at every single lift/booing when the Judges give corrections.  I could also do without Couple’s Choice - or at least if we *must* have it, it should be a single “theme week” so that Couple’s Choice dances aren’t marked alongside ballroom/latin. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, taxi4ballet said:

I've got to be honest, I only know two of those celebrities.

 

That's comforting :) I *think* I know 5, although several of those are simply people whose names sound vaguely familar ...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure I know the names of 6, but could only recognise 4. My Mum loves Strictly though, so I'm sure I'll know who everyone is by the end of the show, even if I don't watch a single episode

Edited by MaddieRose
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

I've got to be honest, I only know two of those celebrities.

 

Beat you - I know three!! 😊 (Dan Walker, Adam Peaty and Greg Wise. Though to be honest, I probably wouldn't know Greg Wise if he wasn't married to Emma Thompson. And I might even have struggled with Adam Peaty if we hadn't just had the Olympics.) The word 'celebrity' clearly now just means anyone who has ever been involved in any capacity whatsoever in any sort of public activity, including social media. Perhaps we should put forward a BalletcoForum candidate next year. Any volunteers?!

 

I stopped watching when Darcey Bussell left (since she was the only reason I ever started watching). Not sure if I'll return since I can't really cope with the hysteria that accompanies it. But I would quite like to see how Dan Walker gets on so who knows.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m afraid I only recognise two: Greg Wise and the wonderful Robert Webb. If anyone saw Mr Webb’s Flashdance routine for Comic Relief a few years ago, you’ll remember him as a good mover.  And he wrote his wonderful memoir, How Not to be a Boy.

 

so for me, it’s Robert Webb for the Glitterball!

 

But To me, Strictly is a winter programme, and I don’t want to think about the end of summer until October  😀

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Kate_N said:

 ... the wonderful Robert Webb. If anyone saw Mr Webb’s Flashdance routine for Comic Relief a few years ago, you’ll remember him as a good mover ...

 

so for me, it’s Robert Webb for the Glitterball!

 

Me too!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kate_N said:

I’m afraid I only recognise two: Greg Wise and the wonderful Robert Webb. If anyone saw Mr Webb’s Flashdance routine for Comic Relief a few years ago, you’ll remember him as a good mover.  And he wrote his wonderful memoir, How Not to be a Boy.

 

so for me, it’s Robert Webb for the Glitterball!

 

But To me, Strictly is a winter programme, and I don’t want to think about the end of summer until October  😀

 

55 minutes ago, AnneMarriott said:

Me too!

 

Me three!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know six; is that good or bad? ☺️ Probably means I have too much time on my hands. 

 

Greg Wise has long been a favourite of mine, ever since he played John Willoughby in “Sense and Sensibility”, but he was also excellent in “The Crown”.   I like Dan Walker and Robert Webb and will be interested to see how they get on.  Historically, “boy band” members from McFly, The Wanted etc. have done well on Strictly so I expect Tom Fletcher will perform well too, especially in terms of musicality. 

 

I’m sorry to say that the only female contestant I knew was Nina Wadia so I will be rooting for her.   

 

Any predictions on which male pro John Waite will dance with?  I have my fingers crossed for Johannes. 🤞🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Anna C said:

 

 

Any predictions on which male pro John Waite will dance with?  I have my fingers crossed for Johannes. 🤞🏻

 

Ooooo - I love Johannes and I think they would be a good pairing.

 

As Dan Walker is 6'6" it will be interesting to see who they pair him with - maybe Oti?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

 

Ooooo - I love Johannes and I think they would be a good pairing.

 

As Dan Walker is 6'6" it will be interesting to see who they pair him with - maybe Oti?

 

Gosh, I didn’t realise Dan was so tall!  Oti would be fabulous.

I love Johannes too; he’s joyous, isn’t he. ☺️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

 

Gosh, I didn’t realise Dan was so tall!  Oti would be fabulous.

I love Johannes too; he’s joyous, isn’t he. ☺️

 

He mentioned his height on Breakfast News the other day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/08/2021 at 21:45, bridiem said:

The word 'celebrity' clearly now just means anyone who has ever been involved in any capacity whatsoever in any sort of public activity, including social media. Perhaps we should put forward a BalletcoForum candidate next year. Any volunteers?!

 

What are they paying?! 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/08/2021 at 21:45, bridiem said:

Perhaps we should put forward a BalletcoForum candidate next year. Any volunteers?!


I think it’d be a-may-zing to be a Strictly contestant - to spend all day every day learning to dance.

 

I’m not particularly interested in the celebrities - I enjoy watching the learning “journey” ( as they say).

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I lost it with Strictly a long time ago and don't watch anymore.  As is mentioned above, perhaps if they removed the screaming, baying audience and let the dancing speak for itself I would be more interested again...but I don't suppose that will happen.  Of the 'slebs', I have only heard of three;  I am 'meh' for Dan Walker, cannot stand Greg Wise so I would love to see Adam Peaty add the glitterball to his incredible list of accomplishments...hopefully his costumes will cover up those dreadful tattoos!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't say I've watched more than 5mins of Strictly (the baying crowd and delirious 'judges' giving 10 points to all, had me reaching for the channel hopper after those 5mins), but I hope Ugo Monye does well (excellent rugby player and pundit), and Robert Webb of Peep Show fame

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was about to throw in my two penn'orth with the posters who have only heard of Greg Wise and Robert Webb (and I'm with Sim on the subject of Greg Wise as I can't stand him either) when I realised that I could also add A J Odudu and Tom Fletcher, but my "let's get down with the kids" credentials may be terminally tarnished by the fact that A J Odudu's bouncy excitability and Mel B-type northern accent make me want to climb the walls and although I have heard of McFly, I only recognise Tom Fletcher by name (isn't he the blond one with glasses who never really looked like a member of a boy band?) because he now writes children's books that my grandson enjoys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scheherezade said:

I only recognise Tom Fletcher by name (isn't he the blond one with glasses who never really looked like a member of a boy band?) because he now writes children's books that my grandson enjoys.


That sounds like Tom Fletcher yes. His wife Giovanna won reality show I'm a Celebrity... last year, so that could've helped him be plucked out of the 'eligible ex-boyband lineup' for this years show. His sister Carrie is also an author and musical theatre actress (she was Eponine and later Fantine in Les Mis on the West End), so they seem to be a very well-cultured family. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was thinking the Strictly audience were quite tame compared to the “Greatest Dancer” audience!! 
No amount of money Taxi would get me on Strictly though I might be okay as the “comedy” dancer with Anton ....and he is definitely the one I think I’d have the greatest laugh with ... I’m sure all the other Pros would be a bit too much on your case lol! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Can someone (Sim, Scheherezade) enlighten me as to why Greg Wise has come in for such opprobrium?  Is it because he always seems to play a baddie or for some other reason?

 

11 hours ago, Kate_N said:

I read it simply as a matter of posters' individuals' tastes?

Me too, just curious as to why an actor who plays roles should inspire dislike, whereas I can quite see that a TV presenter or a columnist who "plays" him- or herself may arouse strong feelings for or against.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...