BBC Strictly 2021

Anna C

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/08/2021 at 18:09, AnneMarriott said:

Can someone (Sim, Scheherezade) enlighten me as to why Greg Wise has come in for such opprobrium?  Is it because he always seems to play a baddie or for some other reason?

I can’t speak for Sim but for me it’s because he always comes across as incurably smug and self-satisfied; the archetypal exponent of the metropolitan elite. I freely admit that I may be doing him a disservice but that’s how he presents to me. 

• Like 1

To qualify, and although I haven’t read the article or the book, I fully sympathise and empathise with the devastation he must have felt at the loss of his sister. And for her, there can have been no horror worse than fearing the pain and heartbreak that her diagnosis and suffering would bring to those who loved her. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

I can’t speak for Sim but for me it’s because he always comes across as incurably smug and self-satisfied; the archetypal exponent of the metropolitan elite. I freely admit that I may be doing him a disservice but that’s how he presents to me. 

Thanks for this.  I must admit I only know of him through his roles in television dramas so wasn't aware that he is obviously well-known as an individual.  Since I don't follow any social media and avoid chat shows and the like I'm obviously out of the loop on how celebrities present themselves.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Agree.  I also think that he and his wife are huge hypocrites….but this is not the right forum to take this any further. 

• Like 2

Changing the subject slightly, four new Pro dancers are joining Strictly for 2021:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/new-strictly-pros-announced-2021

Apparently Janette Manrara is moving to “It takes two” as presenter, replacing Zoe Ball, and of course Anton won’t be dancing as he’ll be copying Shirley’s marks judging again. 🤭

I’d like to see both Neil and Nancy getting “celeb” partners this year as they always seem to be in the background and restricted to the ensemble/pro dance numbers.  Nancy in particular has real presence in the group numbers.  

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

In case anyone missed the launch show on Saturday night, here are this year’s partnerships (Celebrity, Professional):

Adam Peaty, Katya Jones

AJ Odudu, Kai Widdrington*

Dan Walker, Nadiya Bychkova

Greg Wise, Karen Hauer

John Whaite, Johannes Radebe

Judi Love, Graziano di Prima

Katie Mcglynn, Gorka Marquez

Nina Wadia, Neil Jones

Rhys Stephenson, Nancy Xu

Robert Webb, Diane Buswell

Rose Ayling-Ellis, Giovanni Pernice

Sara Davis, Aliaž Škorjanec

Tilly Ramsay, Nikita Kuzmin*

Tom Fletcher, Amy Dowden

Ugo Monye, Oti Mabuse

* New pro for 2021

I’m very glad my hope for John and Johannes was fulfilled.  Very pleased also to see Neil Jones back with a permanent partner and that Nancy Xu finally has a partner! She’s a terrific dancer and has been waiting a while to be partnered with a celebrity.

I’m looking forward to Saturday and just hope that now there is a (much smaller) studio audience that we don’t get the infuriating screaming and whooping - also that Shirley doesn’t take an inexplicable dislike to either a celeb or a pro, as she is rather prone to doing.  It makes for uncomfortable viewing at times. 

• Like 4

Yes, it’s been reported that three of the pro dancers are refusing to be vaccinated and “would rather leave the show” than get their jabs.  A BBC spokesperson has denied the claims.

If there’s any truth in it, it could cause logistical difficulties if, for example, the three in question are all male or all female, because if I remember rightly, there are only three professionals without a partner this year; two women (Luba Mushtuk and Jowita Przystal) and one man, Cameron Lombard.   Let’s hope there are some vaccinated dancers in reserve, just in case! 

I caught up on the first proper episode of Strictly this morning when I got home from Nottingham.

Random comments:

I rather like Anton as a judge (apart from Craig all the judges are now from the Ballroom/Latin world I think).

As ever some of the comments do not seem to match the marks.  

The programme is most definitely benefitting from a lack of braying audience!

• Like 2

Agreed, Jan.  It’s so much nicer to watch without the yelling and screeching.  I don’t mind Anton; he’s certainly easier on the ears than Bruno, but I still question the need for 4 Judges with the “Head Judge” having the casting vote.  I know Shirley Ballas is a hugely experienced expert but for me, her judging is horribly inconsistent and seems clearly biased towards people she likes.  Last year she clearly had a problem with Maisie Smith, this year it seems to be Greg Wise and Rose Ayling-Ellis (who deserved far better than a 4/10 😱).  The media has picked up on it quite quickly this year but whether the producers will have a quiet word with Shirley remains to be seen.

I thought all the celebs did well for week 1; Robert Webb was hugely entertaining despite some technique issues.  I absolutely loved John and Johannes’s Tango and I hope they go far.   I thought Adam Peaty did very well considering he’s a sportsman and non-dancer.   Some customarily dodgy singing but overall a good start to the series.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I’m glad to report that Shirley seemed to be in a somewhat better mood on Saturday, despite a couple of strange remarks.  I don’t agree that Katie and Gorka’s dance-off was better than Nina and Neil’s, so it’s a great shame that the latter went from the competition.  

If you don’t already read Marianka Swain’s excellent “Strictly Speaking” on the Dancing Times website, I can highly recommend it:  https://www.dancing-times.co.uk/strictly-speaking-week-2-5/

What did you good folks think of the decision to save Katie and Gorka?

• Like 4

Have only just caught up with Strictly as have been away! I still haven’t seen Sunday’s show but my least favourite dances just from this week were Katie and Gorka, Nina and Neil, Robert Webb and Dianne and Dan Walker and Nadia. 
I really loved Tilly’s Charleston but no dance this week was worth a nine score so a couple of dances were over marked I think not just Tilly’s one. 
As well as Tilly’s  I liked Rosie and Giovanni’s dance and john Whaite and Johannes and even Sarah from Dragons Den looked really  good but not worth a nine( sorry Sarah). 
I do know who had to leave this week though haven’t seen the show yet but from what I’ve seen of their two dances so far  I would probably have saved Nina and Neil. 

• Like 2

Yes Me too as Judy knows how to put a dance across to an audience so is very engaging to watch. 
A dancer has to have this quality or very good technique and great when somebody has both. 
I was very worried for Adam tonight as I think he was unfairly marked by the judges for his Rumba (a very difficult dance) and so ended up at the bottom of the leader board.  I think he has the potential to be in at least the last five/ six couples. But luckily he wasn’t in the dance off in the end. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LinMM said:

Yes Me too as Judy knows how to put a dance across to an audience so is very engaging to watch. 
A dancer has to have this quality or very good technique and great when somebody has both. 
I was very worried for Adam tonight as I think he was unfairly marked by the judges for his Rumba (a very difficult dance) and so ended up at the bottom of the leader board.  I think he has the potential to be in at least the last five/ six couples. But luckily he wasn’t in the dance off in the end. 

Agreed, Adam fell victim to the Judges’ undermarking, especially when trying to do a Rumba in week 3 with no dance experience.  Poor Dan Walker had a torrid time too and I was surprised he wasn’t in the Dance Off.

Judy performs well, with sass and musicality, but I just didn’t think there was sufficient actual dancing from her; her feet barely left the floor and there was no Charleston bounce whatsoever.  Combined with a mistake from Judy, I actually thought Katie was marginally better in the *actual dance off* (which is all the Judges say they go on, rather than overall performance) and deserved to stay - however, I rarely agree with Shirley’s casting vote, so no change there.

Joint favourites of the night:  John and Johannes, Rose and Giovanni.  AJ continues to impress me too, as does new Pro Kai who is nailing the choreography and bringing out the best in AJ.  Excellent when you consider it’s Kai’s first series.

I also loved the Professionals’ opening dance, with Johannes channeling “Bridgerton’s” Duke of Hastings (albeit falling in love with Kai instead of Daphne Bridgerton).  Beautiful choreography (nice to see Jason Gilkison credited every week now) and gorgeous dancing from everyone.  Inclusive and emotional. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

... Judy performs well, with sass and musicality, but I just didn’t think there was sufficient actual dancing from her; her feet barely left the floor and there was no Charleston bounce whatsoever.  Combined with a mistake from Judy, I actually thought Katie was marginally better in the *actual dance off* (which is all the Judges say they go on, rather than overall performance) and deserved to stay - however, I rarely agree with Shirley’s casting vote, so no change there. ...

Agree absolutely.  I haven't been following it very closely this year because most of the contestants are unfamiliar to me.  One of the judges mentioned more (or better) dance content in Judy's routine as a reason for saving her and I was very surprised.  Obviously seeing it in the flesh is rather different from seeing it on television!

• Like 2

There is a stage presence, an understanding of the style of the dance and a ‘likeability’ factor about Judy which goes a long way in my view and allows me to overlook her less than stellar dancing more than would otherwise be the case. Oddly, despite being an actor, I didn’t think Katie ever (in all 3 weeks) had that same stage presence and distinction between dance styles. I think Katie’s dance off performance was much better than her competition performance but lacked Judy’s ‘selling’ of the dance - and neither of them is a good dancer. Katie also seemed quite ‘clumpy’.

I would have saved Judy because of her ‘sparkle’ and the way she ‘sold’ the routine. Having stage presence and ‘selling’ a routine can’t be taught. 

• Like 1

Well, Greg-dislikers rejoice; he was booted out on Sunday in favour of Judy (although I nearly fell off the sofa when Shirley said she would have saved Greg, especially after judging him so harshly in previous weeks).  I didn’t rate either dance; both celebs made mistakes but Greg was always onto a loser with a slow-paced Samba.  It’ll be interesting to see if Judy is in the bottom two again next week.

Having ignored all mistakes last week and overmarked a whole host of celebs, Shirley and Motsi in particular did a complete 180 this week and were undermarking people left, right and centre, while (IMHO) overmarking others (9s for Tilly’s Paso?).  I was really cross at Rose and Giovanni getting two 6s for “mistakes” - the only tiny issue I saw was Rose being slightly ahead of the music for a moment; she was dancing solo and is deaf, for goodness sake.  Even Craig gave her a 7; has that ever happened before?

I’ve been pondering the music (and costume) choices; they really can make or break a dance (John and Johannes trying to do an American Smooth to a song too fast and in a tricky rhythm, Greg trying to Samba at a funereal pace).  I wonder whether the Pro really does have Carte Blanche, or is there some* input from the producers?

*a lot of

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna C said:

I’ve been pondering the music (and costume) choices; they really can make or break a dance (John and Johannes trying to do an American Smooth to a song too fast and in a tricky rhythm, Greg trying to Samba at a funereal pace).  I wonder whether the Pro really does have Carte Blanche, or is there some* input from the producers?

This is something that I have wondered about, too, but always assumed that since the Pros choreograph, they will have total carte blanche as to the music, if not necessarily the costumes. This would seem to be supported by the fact that certain Pros always choose contemporary music whilst others always opt for something traditional.

I think I'm on record as not being overly enamoured with Greg, but I'm sure that even Greg lovers will agree that there was an unconscionable amount of Dad dancing coming from his particular corner. I would agree that in previous weeks there were other celebs far worse than him but, totally objectively, I would say that on last weekend's showing he deserved to go.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I would agree that in previous weeks there were other celebs far worse than him but, totally objectively, I would say that on last weekend's showing he deserved to go

Agreed. 

• Like 1