BBC Strictly 2021

Anna C

Did they ever officially announce that Oti and partner would not be dancing this week? It wasn’t until Tess said “” now all our couples have danced... “ that I notice they were missing so watched the recap carefully to see if I’d somehow missed their dance! 
When I googled Oti it came up that her partner had injured his back but I don’t remember it being mentioned in the programme at all. 
The marking is all over the place this year and Craig was unusually grumpy even for him for the first half of the show I thought he was going to hit Motsi at one point 😳

I know the judges always ham it up a bit but thought they must have had a row just before going on air!!! 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend has been a conspiracy theorist for years and I have started to come around to her way of thinking.

I think the judges comments can often subliminally sway the voting public.  My friend noticed in previous years that celebs who would not be able to do the live tour were voted off in dance-offs even if they had done better than the other couple (DJ Dev Griffin springs to mind on that one).

I don't think the pros have the choice of music - I think they are allocated a song.  Some of the other pros who have not been allocated a partner also help out with choreography although this is not always acknowledged.

Of the celebs this year I am still drawn to Rose & Giovanni, John & Johannes, AJ and Kai and Sara and Aljaz.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, LinMM said:

Did they ever officially announce that Oti and partner would not be dancing this week? It wasn’t until Tess said “” now all our couples have danced... “ that I notice they were missing so watched the recap carefully to see if I’d somehow missed their dance! 

Yes, at the beginning when Tess also mentioned Robert Webb having to pull out.  She said that Ugo has an ongoing back injury.  

Let’s hope he’s able to dance as planned this weekend.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My bit of a moan this week is not about Saturdays programme but about the fact that although we all know the “Sunday” results show is actually filmed on Saturdays I do wish they would not release the results to the internet on the Saturday so then lots of people can be spoilers on Facebook etc!!

Ive now decided to stop reading anything to do with Strictly as I’m fed up with people suddenly inserting a comment on a completely unrelated post that “so and so” has been voted off strictly. Sometimes even saying who the Dance off is between. 
I blame the Strictly media controllers over this as they do not have to release the video before Sunday. 
There will always be some leakers perhaps who work for the production team etc but will be harder to come across such comments than it is at the moment. 
Anyway moan over. Was sad to see Judi go this week as she is fun but the right decision. 
I hope Adam can really up his game this week as I feel he is a better dancer than Dan but Dan does get into the spirit of things and the public like that. I think Adam has lost a bit of confidence in last couple of weeks as less outgoing than was initially. 
But it’s not too hard to see who might go down to the last three now. Loved Rose and Giovanni this week though great performance but still really surprised at Craig’s 10!! 

Great article Jan. 
Even in a Dance style as strict as Ballet for technique in the end it isn’t the technique that wins out ....you tend to watch people both in class and on stage who are expressive and relating to the emotion a particular piece of choreography brings out in them or their sheer joy in dancing. 

One of the best ways to get out of a “I’m never going to be perfect enough ballet rut”

is to leave it for a few years and try loads of other styles of Dance for a while.   This can definitely help you reconnect with your original joy ....especially a good old Zumba class lol!! 

• 3 weeks later...

What do people think of what seems to me to be the most ridiculous favouritism shown to Tilly Ramsay on Strictly? She rarely has to wait long on the Results show, Saturday’s “dance” was a stompy mishmash on steps and moves but not an actual dance yet she and her partner scored 40! Are the BBC frightened of Papa Ramsay or something? Personally I would have put her and Dan Walker in the dance off rather than the much more competent dance couples that were there. I didn’t care for the dance to On My Own. It just wasn’t really dance music. My dd suggested that perhaps next week someone could tap dance to “A Little Shower of Rain”! 

• Like 3

Thank you Fiz!  Tilly’s dance just looked like stomping around to me … my chin hit the floor when she got all 10s.

I think Tom has been hampered throughout the competition by some iffy choreography and, although he obviously loved it, I wasn’t very keen on this week’s dance.  However it was a dance compared to what Tilly was given.

Dan has a huge fan base and I think his enormous and very obvious enthusiasm shines through too.  In terms of ability I think he is now the weak link.

I wish they would abandon the couple’s choice dance - it usually has nothing to do with ballroom or Latin.

My favourites continue to be Rose and John.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Fiz said:

What do people think of what seems to me to be the most ridiculous favouritism shown to Tilly Ramsay on Strictly? She rarely has to wait long on the Results show, Saturday’s “dance” was a stompy mishmash on steps and moves but not an actual dance yet she and her partner scored 40! ...

52 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Thank you Fiz!  Tilly’s dance just looked like stomping around to me … my chin hit the floor when she got all 10s.

I wish they would abandon the couple’s choice dance - it usually has nothing to do with ballroom or Latin.

Absolutely agree on both counts.  The judging this year seems to be all over the place and I really don't know what the Couple's Choice is supposed to be - when it was first introduced didn't the couples choose a dance style (quickstep, for example) and then do a freestyle adaptation, incorporating otherwise illegal moves, like a show dance?  Or does my memory fail me?  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Absolutely agree on both counts.  The judging this year seems to be all over the place and I really don't know what the Couple's Choice is supposed to be - when it was first introduced didn't the couples choose a dance style (quickstep, for example) and then do a freestyle adaptation, incorporating otherwise illegal moves, like a show dance?  Or does my memory fail me?  

I *think* (and I’ve only had one coffee) that’s the Show Dance in the final, Anne.  Couple’s Choice was introduced in 2018 and was a choice of “Contemporary”, Theatre dance or Street/Commercial.  I say “Contemporary” because unlike the Cunningham/Graham style of Contemporary my daughter trained in, on Strictly it seems to be a cross between Lyrical dance and GCSE Contemporary dance.  Much like ballet, contemporary isn’t something you can excel at or even dance convincingly with only a week’s training, and it invariably looks really quite naff on Strictly.

Poor Tom was a victim of this on Saturday and wasn’t aided by the choreography (“chuck every Contemporary move in, regardless”), am-dram costumes and trying too hard to show emotion.  Given how much Rhys upped his game in the dance-off, I’m not surprised he was saved by 3 out of 4 judges.   I have to say I found Dan more enjoyable to watch. 🤭

I’ve said before that I’d do away with Couple’s Choice, but then we would have been denied Oti and Bill Bailey’s fabulous dance to “Rapper’s delight” and even Rose and Giovanni’s joyous and moving dance last week.  What I do think they need to do is have a “Couple’s Choice” week in which everybody gets the thing done and they are all marked against each other. 

I actually liked Tilly and Nikita’s dance this week; great choreography and good acting by Tilly.  I’d have given it a 9, but I don’t agree with Shirley that it was impossible to tell who the pro was.  

What did we think of Cynthia Erivo as a guest judge?  Lovely to see her using BSL when talking to Rose.  I thought she judged well; above all I wish the producers had asked her to nip onstage and sing “Defying gravity” properly on the results show.  😩 That’s my biggest gripe with Musicals week, that the Strictly singers invariably murder the songs which distracts from the dancing.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anna C said:

I’ve said before that I’d do away with Couple’s Choice, but then we would have been denied Oti and Bill Bailey’s fabulous dance to “Rapper’s delight” and even Rose and Giovanni’s joyous and moving dance last week.  What I do think they need to do is have a “Couple’s Choice” week in which everybody gets the thing done and they are all marked against each other. 

I actually liked Tilly and Nikita’s dance this week; great choreography and good acting by Tilly.  I’d have given it a 9, but I don’t agree with Shirley that it was impossible to tell who the pro was.  

What did we think of Cynthia Erivo as a guest judge?  Lovely to see her using BSL when talking to Rose.  I thought she judged well; above all I wish the producers had asked her to nip onstage and sing “Defying gravity” properly on the results show.  😩 That’s my biggest gripe with Musicals week, that the Strictly singers invariably murder the songs which distracts from the dancing.  

I think your suggestion for a whole week of couple's choice is excellent Anna.  Then we can get it over and done with!

In the olden days IIRC only 2 dances were shown every week - one Latin that half the couples did and the other ballroom.  In some respects that, for me, works better and at least you could do some more direct comparisons between the dancers.

I thought she gave very measured responses without being overly technical.

What does everyone think of Anton as a judge.  I much prefer him to Bruno.

I am enjoying this year's show.

• Like 3

Bruno does my head in. 😩 Anton’s still inclined to make everything about him but he’s much more bearable than Bruno.  

My dream-team Judging Panel would be Darcey, Craig, Anton and either Motsi (if she stops wildly overmarking people) or one of the ex-Pro dancers like Karen Hardy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

I *think* (and I’ve only had one coffee) that’s the Show Dance in the final, Anne.  Couple’s Choice was introduced in 2018 and was a choice of “Contemporary”, Theatre dance or Street/Commercial.  I say “Contemporary” because unlike the Cunningham/Graham style of Contemporary my daughter trained in, on Strictly it seems to be a cross between Lyrical dance and GCSE Contemporary dance.  Much like ballet, contemporary isn’t something you can excel at or even dance convincingly with only a week’s training, and it invariably looks really quite naff on Strictly.

... 🤭

What I do think they need to do is have a “Couple’s Choice” week in which everybody gets the thing done and they are all marked against each other. 

Thanks for reminding me - I had forgotten about the categories for couple's choice.  This series it has all rather looked like "non-specific flailing about" to me, and naff, as you say.

I really like the idea of having it all in one week - surely far more fair to judge one couple against another if they're all doing the same sort of thing.

• Like 5

Yes I think a couples choice week would be a great idea!! Much easier to see the real quality of the choreography ( or not!) in these dances if all performed together. 
I too think Tilly and Nikita ( what a sweetie)  were overmarked this week but I think it was because the judges must know they’ve been unfairly in the bottom two a couple of times now. I know they shouldn’t do it but maybe were compensating them. Am sure it’s not because of Dad though! I’m sure Craig would be a good match for him lol! 
They have already given out 10’s in this series just way over marked with the judges getting carried away with themselves!
I haven’t enjoyed this years show so much because the judges have been all over the place with marking giving Dan 9 one week when definitely only worth a 6!! 
They keep going on about how much he has improved but they ALL improve greatly by week 10 and in my view Dan should have gone about two weeks or so ago and given better potential dancers like Adam Peaty still a chance to improve!! 
Of course it’s never a fair competition anyway but although Dan may not have danced before he has been in front of a camera presenting to an audience so that has some advantages. Others have been to stage school etc. There are usually only a couple of dancers each year who have no dance experience AND no tv or theatre experience in some form. 
Anyway we pretty much know who is going to win it this year and perhaps deservedly so as Rose is also a good dancer but the bravest two are definitely John and Johannes so hope it’s between those two couples in the final show. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

Thanks for reminding me - I had forgotten about the categories for couple's choice.  This series it has all rather looked like "non-specific flailing about" to me, and naff, as you say.

I really like the idea of having it all in one week - surely far more fair to judge one couple against another if they're all doing the same sort of thing.

I definitely agree. I think it is very difficult to judge a couples choice - and most of them just appear to be “free dances “ against other couples doing much more technical ballroom/Latin dances.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello Sprocker and welcome out of the lurking shadows! 

Thank you Jan. i  discovered this forum a couple of years ago, and find it extremely informative. I have a 14 yr old DD, and have read so much helpful information on here which has really helped her. Thank you 🙏

1 minute ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello Sprocker and welcome out of the lurking shadows! 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, LinMM said:

Anyway we pretty much know who is going to win it this year and perhaps deservedly so as Rose is also a good dancer but the bravest two are definitely John and Johannes so hope it’s between those two couples in the final show. 

Yes, imho it should be Rose, John and AJ in the final, with Rose winning - I think definitely deservedly so, rather than “perhaps”?  I’d love to see joint winners this year but doubt that would happen.

Any other year I would want John and Johannes to win but Rose is such a beautiful dancer and a joy to watch (lovely hands, in particular) even if you don’t take her hearing impairment into account.  I’m astounded at her musicality, and how she keeps in time when dancing solo is beyond me.  Amazing.  I never rated Giovanni before but working with Rose and adapting his teaching style seems to have brought out the best in him.  Really nice to see.

• Like 4

Yes I agree Rose is amazing too and you can see she is loving it so much so always very watchable. I’m sure she will win and I did think earlier it would be great to have a complete tie in the voting for once lol! 
But I suspect it would mean just that much more to Rose! 

• Like 2

On 22/11/2021 at 12:50, LinMM said:

They keep going on about how much he has improved but they ALL improve greatly by week 10 and in my view Dan should have gone about two weeks or so ago and given better potential dancers like Adam Peaty still a chance to improve!! 

I'm getting rather irritated by Dan. He's given very simple choreography, compared with, for example, Rhys. Rhys is my favourite (channelling Len Goodman there) - I think he's really watchable & exciting, and we all know it's much more difficult for a long-legged, tall, long-limbed male dancer. Most top male ballet dancers, for example, are medium height - not really very tall for men. 

Dan is playing the "ordinary person" card in an annoying way!

I'd like to see Rhys succeed. I'm actually not that fussed by John - but maybe I'm just also irritated by his & Johannes' mawkishness. 

Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old woman!

I don’t want to be mean to any of the contestants as they are ALL good sports for dancing like this in front of millions but after about the half way point one does tend to get caught up in wanting to see the better dancers so it can be annoying if you think somebody has had to leave unnecessarily early and you’d like to have seen more of them and less of some people still left in!
Still I suppose we shouldn’t take it all so seriously in the end especially where a public vote is involved ....who knows Dan may even win it!! 

21 hours ago, Kate_N said:

I'm getting rather irritated by Dan. He's given very simple choreography, compared with, for example, Rhys. Rhys is my favourite (channelling Len Goodman there) - I think he's really watchable & exciting, and we all know it's much more difficult for a long-legged, tall, long-limbed male dancer. Most top male ballet dancers, for example, are medium height - not really very tall for men. 

Dan is playing the "ordinary person" card in an annoying way!

I'd like to see Rhys succeed. I'm actually not that fussed by John - but maybe I'm just also irritated by his & Johannes' mawkishness. 

Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old woman!

Well I'm actually enjoying watching Dan.  He seems to me to be a halfway decent dancer now (although clearly not the best, by any means) but the public is responding to his engaging personality in much the same way as they did for Christopher Parker, East Enders actor, who reached the final despite being a woefully bad dancer, and John Sergeant who resigned for fear of winning and making a mockery of the competition.  Whenever you have a competition in which the public vote is so decisive it is going to become a personality contest.

Thoroughly agree about Rhys.

If I'm honest I have found John and Johannes toe-curling at times, although John is obviously a very good dancer and deserves to reach the final.  Perhaps I'm a grumpy old woman, too.

Nothing wrong with being grumpy! 😂 I make grumpy remarks at the tv (or on Twitter, if I feel strongly enough) every Saturday night - usually about overmarking! 

I suspect Dan has a hardcore group of fans who vote for him every week, which is the risk shows like Strictly take when decisions are made by public vote.  The Rhumba might be the finish of him, and he’s probably the weakest in terms of performance/characterisation now, although being part of the non-stage-school cohort (and being an “ordinary bloke”, for that’s exactly what he is!) that’s not surprising.  He has really improved since the start of the series, though, in some ways more than Rhys has, and I enjoyed his dance on Saturday much more than some of the others, so I think this week he did deserve to go through.

Rhys is tricky, isn’t he - a wonderful performer, enjoyable to watch from the waist up, but whether Nancy’s not teaching him enough basic technique, or whether he’s reached the limit of his technical capabilities, he’s sort of stopped making progress for me.  I felt the same about Sara.  I know Rhys is tall and long legged, but so is Dan, and Dan can at least control his legs and feet.  I just really want Nancy to calm the choreo down and concentrate on beautiful basic technique, otherwise I fear Rhys will be in the bottom two again. 🙁 

I don’t think we need to worry too much about Dan winning though, or getting through at the expense of AJ, John or Rose - well, I hope not, anyway! 😱

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Out of interest, has the weighting of weekly Judges' scores against the Public Vote ever been explained? 

Good question, Ian.  They usually just say “The scores on the leaderboard are combined with votes” but I have no idea how that works in reality!

• Like 1

Well I think it works like this:

The judges' marks speak for themselves.  Then the couple getting the most public votes is given a mark equal to the number of couples in the competition e.g. 6 couples remaining, the highest scoring couple gets a mark of 6, and so on down the scale of votes.  Then the judges' marks and the public marks are added together and Bob's your uncle.

I'm happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AnneMarriott said:

Well I think it works like this:

The judges' marks speak for themselves.  Then the couple getting the most public votes is given a mark equal to the number of couples in the competition e.g. 6 couples remaining, the highest scoring couple gets a mark of 6, and so on down the scale of votes.  Then the judges' marks and the public marks are added together and Bob's your uncle.

I'm happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong.

Now that you’ve said that Anne I’ve got a vague recollection of that being explained at some time many years ago…

• Like 2