Vocational school applications for Y7 entry 2022

BalletBoysDad

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, balletboy8 said:

I've been told that they were looking at oversea students after the boy's days last week and that it will be 4 to 5 days into next week before we hear anything . 

Does anyone know why they call the international students in on different dates to the UK candidates? On the website it states ‘All successful candidates will attend a final audition in London’ so it can’t be that they’re assessing videos, they must be in person auditions. I don’t see why they’d separate them, surely they would want to be able to compare them to the others? 

22 hours ago, PurplePirouette said:

Does anyone know why they call the international students in on different dates to the UK candidates? On the website it states ‘All successful candidates will attend a final audition in London’ so it can’t be that they’re assessing videos, they must be in person auditions. I don’t see why they’d separate them, surely they would want to be able to compare them to the others? 

They didn’t used to, it happened I believe since Covid.

In the past in the finals there were always international students.

On 06/03/2022 at 19:40, stardust1 said:

Just to further manage expectations, the results from the Yr8/9 and Yr10/11 audition that took place 24th-26th February haven’t come out yet.  

I just wondered if you'd had any results through yet from 24th-26th Feb or whether all the WL finals results are likely to come out at the same time? 

10 minutes ago, Waverley said:

I just wondered if you'd had any results through yet from 24th-26th Feb or whether all the WL finals results are likely to come out at the same time? 

No nothing.  They said 2 weeks and it’s very nearly 3 now so not sure what to think🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Another 2 weeks sounds like torture (at least they said)🙈

We can’t go to the Tring MDS final tomorrow as we all have covid which is so disappointing as tomorrow is the only day they are doing it they had said after letting them know.

Also, what are you all doing about your “regular” secondary schools allocation….I have yet to fill out all the forms to accept DS place at our local school thinking we might know one way or another any day now results wise but as it’s going to take longer, are you all accepting their regular school place now? 

5 minutes ago, Julsgalaxy said:

We can’t go to the Tring MDS final tomorrow as we all have covid which is so disappointing as tomorrow is the only day they are doing it they had said after letting them know.

Also, what are you all doing about your “regular” secondary schools allocation….I have yet to fill out all the forms to accept DS place at our local school thinking we might know one way or another any day now results wise but as it’s going to take longer, are you all accepting their regular school place now? 

Oh that's such a shame about Tring. So you can't be considered for the funding now??? That seems a little harsh :-(. I think with regards to secondary schools, unless it's fee paying then  just accept it and then decline later if you are lucky enough to get another place. If it's fee paying, I have no idea 🙂 

9 minutes ago, Ottobotto said:

Oh that's such a shame about Tring. So you can't be considered for the funding now??? That seems a little harsh :-(. I think with regards to secondary schools, unless it's fee paying then  just accept it and then decline later if you are lucky enough to get another place. If it's fee paying, I have no idea 🙂 

She said she will ask the panel to review his notes from the first audition to be considered now since they have no other date to see those who can’t attend.

Thanks, I’ll just go ahead and accept the place I think…

14 minutes ago, Julsgalaxy said:

She said she will ask the panel to review his notes from the first audition to be considered now since they have no other date to see those who can’t attend.

Thanks, I’ll just go ahead and accept the place I think…

So sorry you can’t make it tomorrow. I hope you’re all not feeling too bad. 

1 hour ago, Julsgalaxy said:

Aw sorry that's rubbish! I can't believe they're not letting you go at another time, or even offering it by zoom...

Sorry can't help with school places as we have a different age bracket up here (so high school is actually another year off for us). Sounds like it might be worth accepting it though so you don't lose out - it does seem like RBS results could be a while yet x 

3 hours ago, Dancermom said:

Oh no! 🤦‍♀️
Elmhurst finals are next Wednesday so they may have their results out first then x 

Elmhurst didn’t announce results until after the upper school auditions last year.  

3 hours ago, Julsgalaxy said:

I would just accept your secondary school place last year I waited until the last minute to hand my DD local place back in late June.   Our local school was oversubscribed so we wanted to make  sure we were 100% sure, plus last year the parents and children didn’t have tours of the vocational schools.  It was hard to make a definite decision without actually looking around and getting a feel for the school. 

Edited by Ballet Dreams

I would definitely accept your regular secondary school place @Julsgalaxyuntil a vocational school place is absolutely sorted.. If you reject it and for any reason your DC doesn't end up going to vocational school there is no guarantee you will get a place back at your original preference. It's easy enough to let the LEA know that you don't want the place after all once everything is signed and sealed for vocational school. If your local secondary is over subscribed then that will lead to someone on the waiting list getting offered the place, and if it isn't it doesn't really affect anything, so no harm either way. But the last thing you want is to turn down the regular school place, hit some kind of hitch with vocational school admission and end up with your DC having to go to whatever other secondary in your LEA that happens to have places left, and potentially being faced with more stress over waiting lists and/or appeals. A golden rule of the dance world  is always to have Plan B (and preferably CD and E!) sorted, so get your secondary place in the bag now so that's one less thing to worry about.

Hope you all get well soon.

Edited by Pups_mum
Typo

What time was your son there? Mine was 9.45 and said there were 9 boys. One year 8, him in year 7 and the other 7 boys were currently in year 6.  I know my friend's son is in year 9 and had his later in the day. So I'm assuming any boys for KS3 (years 7,8 and 9) in September were in the 9.45 one and older boys were later. Not sure on the girls though.

Like your son he came out excited and so happy. Let's hope they have lots of funded spaces available this year. 

Edited by BalletBoyMum1
Spelling