Royal Danish Ballet streaming

The RDB has just added Neumeier's Romeo and Juliet (with Ida Praetorius and Andreas Kaas) to its streaming list.

Also they have a piece for children called De Glemte Børn (The Forgotten Children), danced by the Royal Danish Ballet School. Choreography by Gregory Dean.

An RDB bonus - you can see the entire programme book for each performance - click on Læs Programmet. It's in Danish but there are lots of good pictures.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jane S said:

An RDB bonus - you can see the entire programme book for each performance - click on Læs Programmet. It's in Danish but there are lots of good pictures.

The programmes can also be downloaded and saved. If you can read Danish this is well worth doing as they are excellent resources. 

Queen Margrethe of Denmark celebrates her 80th birthday today - a gala planned for earlier in the week had of course to be cancelled, so instead the theatre had added to its streaming list a performance of the ballet that would have been shown, most appropriately, at the gala -  Balanchine's Ballo della Regina. Holly Dorger and Jonathan Chmelensky have the leading roles.

The ballet was staged by Merrill Ashley and Stacey Caddell. The film is an internal archive recording and all the parcticipants  have given permission for it to be streamed during the theatre's shutdown.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Jane S said:

I now can't get more than about five minutes of any of their videos - have written to ask if they can fix it, but who knows if there's even anyone there to answer?

I had issues too but did manage to see the entire performance.  It looks like a video for in house use with just one camera.

I found the following link at the end of the performance. It may work better.  Good luck.

https://video.kglteater.dk/raymonda-1

Edited by stucha

I have to confess that this is the only full length work that I have managed to have on - not necessarily to WATCH it all but to have that glorious music playing and be able dip into certain sections.

Nice to see one of the Menezes twins (ex ENB) featuring prominently in the Act 3 line-up

Looking forward to ENB's version - one day, perhaps.

• Like 1

Thanks so much Ballet Forum for the information about Royal Danish Ballet's streaming. I watched the Raymonda start to end, into the wee small hours yesterday. I've never seen Raymonda (not even the whole of Act III), and I really appreciated the chance to see this fabulous work of art performed by a fine company. I've luckily been able to go to the Royal Theatre 'Old Stage' in Copenhagen and watching this brought back nice memories. 

J'aime Crandall as Raymonda was wonderful, as were all the dancers. Act III was a masterpiece, but I actually liked the Act II Raymonda variation (with the entrechats en pointe) and the national dances. 

• Like 1

The latest addition to the RDB's streaming list is Kim Brandstrup's 2016 piece Rystet Spejl ( Shaken Mirror). It is another archive recording with special permission to be shown during the theatre's closure.

This was a huge success in Denmark - see Eva Kistrup's glowing review -  I very much regretted not seeing it at the time, and even more so now that for some reason I still can't get the RDB programmes.

Tobias Praetorius has the leading role.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I be lazy and just link you to what I said about it here when it was new?

In brief:

why you should see it: it's a stunning show and Alban Lendorf is in it

why you may not want to: apart from Act 2 and the Black Swan pas de deux and a solo by Erik Bruhn in Act 1 it's all new

• Like 1

On 24/05/2020 at 11:03, Jane S said:

Next from the RDB is the Hubbe/Schandorff Swan Lake, with J'aime Crandall and Alban Lendorf.

thank you so much for flagging this up as it wasn’t on my radar.  what a refreshing and inventive perspective on Swan Lake this turned out to be as it unfolded before me. a shot of joy on a lockdown Monday night. gorgeously danced and beautifully staged in a futuristic kingdom.  this was also intelligently filmed making it a pleasure to watch on the small screen of my laptop.

the only small bone I have to pick is that Odile’s entrance was so subtle I missed it and I had to rewind to watch it again. 

New to the RDB's streaming list today is a rarity - Bournonville's A Folk Tale.  I don't think this film has ever been shown before and it's a very long time since any verions of this near-legendary ballet has been aired.

It's a recording from the last revival, in 2014, and the cast includes Hilary Guswiler as Hilda, Gregory Dean as Junker (Count) Ove and Alba Nadal as the changeling Miss Birthe.

NB this is a Hubbe production (with Sorella Englund) and if you have seen and loved earlier versions you need to adjust your expectations.

My review of it went down with ballet co but if you're interested in the background I'll post it here later.

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jane S said:

New to the RDB's streaming list today is a rarity - Bournonville's A Folk Tale.  I don't think this film has ever been shown before and it's a very long time since any verions of this near-legendary ballet has been aired.

It's a recording from the last revival, in 2014, and the cast includes Hilary Guswiler as Hilda, Gregory Dean as Junker (Count) Ove and Alba Nadal as the changeling Miss Birthe.

NB this is a Hubbe production (with Sorella Englund) and if you have seen and loved earlier versions you need to adjust your expectations.

My review of it went down with ballet co but if you're interested in the background I'll post it here later.

I seem to remember recording this off tv many years ago. I think it was on the old Performance channel which predates  Artsworld, let alone SkyArts by quite a while so it won't be this recording. I seem to remember Performance was only on in the evening. In the daytime it was the Landscape Channel which was a splendid match of filmed wildlife/countryside to an accompaniment of classical/ambient music. Perfect for those who enjoy 'slow' TV. Even today I always associate Packabell's Cannon with penguins and Symphony in C with a steam train!

Anyway back to A Folk Tale. I found it interesting but 'of its time'. A bit too much mime and not enough dance for me but that was how ballets used to be. it's certainly a great opportunity to see a little known ballet. I might even watch it myself and see if time, a new recording and a large screen TV has made me appreciate it more

2 hours ago, alison said:

Oh, do, please, Jane, if you feel so inclined.  I'm curious to hear about what Hubbe has done to it.  I think ...

I saw this production at the Kennedy Center in June 2011, shortly after it premiered. Grinder and Kupinsky starred. I remember that Miss Birthe (Alba Nadal) has a newly-created solo in the midst of Bournonville’s famous Pas de Sept in the last act. Most unfortunate.

About the best thing that night was Lis Jeppesen as one of the two troll brothers, Viderick. Too bad that she isn’t in this latest film.

I remember Queen Margrethe attending that Washington, DC premiere in 2011; I kept wondering  what she was thinking about the garish new designs, as she watched? She had designed the beautiful old early-1990s production. Sigh.

Edited by Jeannette