RAD Video App

Spamcat

Has anyone on here used this app and can you tell me if it has worked for you as the reviews are terrible, also you can access the videos on more than one device after you have paid? There is no info on the app at all!

My DDs dance teacher has just closed the school due to coronovirus and told us to practice using this app (grade 2 exam in early June).

Thanks xx

29 minutes ago, Anna C said:

I’ll ask my daughter, Spamcat; if I remember rightly she used the app a couple of years to practice Advanced 2 and it worked fine.  I think she only had it on one ipad though.

Checked with daughter - she had the app on her iphone and her ipad; as long as the two devices are linked to the same icloud account then you can watch the same purchased videos on both devices.  I don’t remember her having any issues with it. 

Looking at the reviews, this seems to be how you watch your videos on more than one device: 

9AF5AD9A-235A-492F-B457-856DE7080981.jpeg

Hi, I got a new phone and re-downloaded the app and all my purchases were still accessible on the new phone. I've never had any problems with the app, you can slow down the exercises by pressing the tortoise symbol which is really useful. 

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Is this available to buy to non members or just members (or discount for members?)

Do you pay per grade or a large access all fee? Thx

I can't answer for members (I am not). It's about £20 per grade (though the higher non-vocationals aren't on there). You can download the app for free to see what is on there, but need to pay to access the videos. 

It's not cheap - but helping me remember the exercises probably saves me a few classes.

PS it works for me on Android :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, margarite said:

DD has the app for Intermediate and she’s found it a great help and much better than having the DVD version. 

What's the difference between the app and DVD? We have the DVD but foresee lots of home practice coming up...

The content is no different, just having it as an app on her phone means DD can practise anywhere, not just where she can access a DVD player. So she used it whilst we were abroad on holiday for example. It’s also handy as she’s away at school so can practise privately in her room.

• Like 3

Both my DC have used this app over the past few years. They have found it a useful resource for practice. As mentioned, it does work on two devices that are linked to same Apple ID. If a family of dancers, handy that you might be able to re-use certain grades for the younger dancer/s in the household.  Certainly would be good in current circumstances with dance schools closing etc. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RHowarth said:

.....you can slow down the exercises by pressing the tortoise symbol which is really useful. 

This function sounds like it would be really helpful for pupils & teachers alike in breaking it down to really nail the technique & specifics such as movements/timings between positions etc

Be nice if RAD (& other bodies) could provide some level of free temporary access to their online content during this crisis to support its students & teachers (or at least at a reduced fee?) with perhaps discount incentive on future purchases to those who have already paid full fees etc for app access/DVD’s etc....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently studying for my grade 7 exam or at least was before classes had to stop but was yet to purchase the DVD/book in order to practise at home. The RAD have now had to stop shipping online orders so I am unable to

purchase them and the app only has the grade 7 boys. How different are the boys exercises from the girls? Would I get away with using the boys syllabus on the app until things go back to normal? I realise that there will be exercises missing that are only for the girls but is everything else just the same? 

I'm doing Grade 7 too (one week away from exam when cancelled, alas!)) I can't tell you exactly what the differences are, as my book and DVD only contain the girls' exercises. However, as you know, Grade 7 is based on the romantic style so the girls' exercises are "fancier" than the boys', which are much less ornamented especially as regards ports de bras and head (they don't do any of that "pat the dog" romantic line or cutesy head tilt). The music, I believe, is different in some cases but I think the barre is much the same (though they don't do the pas de cheval/ ballotté-ish thing in the barre adage). However, I'd say, go ahead and use it for practice - better than nothing and at least you'll be used to the music and general timings. I'm doing the barre regularly at home, and some of the more static bits of the port de bras, pirouettes and adage - basically missing out all the running around and doing what I can squeeze into the kitchen. And doing a lot of mental rehearsal or visualisation, which is supposed to be really effective. I just hate dropping from peak performance to goodness-knows-what state we'll all be in by the time we get back into the swing of things.

Just wanted to add that there are various videos on youtube including some snippets from the official RAD ancient video, and of course our very own Ballet Gremlin.

Edited by The_Red_Shoes
Further thoughts

24 minutes ago, balletgremlin said:

Don't buy the boy's app for grade 7 - it only contains the exercises which are different (they have different music and choreograpy) i.e. Boy's port de bra, adage, dance & free movement.

Thank you for that! I had just assumed it was cheaper because it is the old syllabus whereas all the others have obviously been updated relatively recently. You have to wonder why they haven’t put up the girls syllabus yet?

• Like 1

The boys' grade 7 was filmed relatively recently along with the new syllabus. Same for grade 6 (which only has 2 exercises for boys - the waltz enchainment and classical dance, though both use the same music as the girls' equivalent.)

I have uploaded a lot of me dancing the grade 7 syllabus to youtube but obviously isn't of the standard you'd get by watching the DVD. I filmed me doing the barre ages ago and contains a lot of mistakes and some dreadful posture and the centre work I filmed while injured just before I had to pull out of my exam. I haven't uploaded character because I was often out of camera shot (not to mention it's difficult and I didn't look all that good) and didn't do upper back because I hate that exercise and it showed.

4 hours ago, SugarPlum2000 said:

Thank you for that! I had just assumed it was cheaper because it is the old syllabus whereas all the others have obviously been updated relatively recently. You have to wonder why they haven’t put up the girls syllabus yet?

The syllabus for Grade 6, 7 and 8 for girls wasn't changed when the lower grades and vocationals were updated a few years ago - it's still the original version and the DVDs contain the film from the old videos. They originally didn't have a boys' version of those grades, which is why the boys' work was filmed more recently.

Edited by The_Red_Shoes

I know, I know, probably an obvious answer to this but I am curious; what grade syllabus would be recommended for adult beginner-intermediate for barre and port de bras suitable for home practice.. 4, 5?

On 14/03/2020 at 21:27, Spamcat said:

Has anyone on here used this app and can you tell me if it has worked for you as the reviews are terrible, also you can access the videos on more than one device after you have paid? There is no info on the app at all!

My DDs dance teacher has just closed the school due to coronovirus and told us to practice using this app (grade 2 exam in early June).

Thanks xx

Yes we have it and with my Apple ID I have all the grades I have purchased on my phone, my daughters phone and an iPad. My daughter doesn’t use it as much as me but it’s been a godsend for the syllabus I’m studying. 

On 19/03/2020 at 08:56, Peanut68 said:

Be nice if RAD (& other bodies) could provide some level of free temporary access to their online content during this crisis to support its students & teachers (or at least at a reduced fee?) with perhaps discount incentive on future purchases to those who have already paid full fees etc for app access/DVD’s etc....

They offered 10% off over the weekend. It’s gone back up today though unfortunately.