How do you pronounce RAD?

Kate_N

I was at a studio in central London on the weekend, taking class with one of my favourite teachers. Chatting in the change room afterwards to other members of the class, one of them said that she wouldn't be there for the next ten weeks because she was going back to her 'rad classes' (as in a shortening for 'radical.')

I thought, Wow! Radical ballet classes! Where?

Then I worked out (slow), that she meant R.A. D. classes. I've always pronounced that as

Are. Ay. Dee

That is, as the initials, rather than made into a word.

So how do you pronounce the shortening for the Royal Academy of Dance?

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the one who misunderstood here. I was just a bit taken aback by this person, who kept talking about her "rad ballet course." Then I finally twigged, and went "Oh, you mean R.A.D." Maybe she thought I was being rude ...

And I say

ISTD as in the initials

But RADA and LAMDA as if they are words.

Although in my world, "Central" means Central sChool of Speech and Drama, not Central School of Ballet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kate_N said:

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the one who misunderstood here. I was just a bit taken aback by this person, who kept talking about her "rad ballet course." Then I finally twigged, and went "Oh, you mean R.A.D." Maybe she thought I was being rude ...

And I say

ISTD as in the initials

But RADA and LAMDA as if they are words.

Although in my world, "Central" means Central sChool of Speech and Drama, not Central School of Ballet. 

people  who mispronounce things often do  because they  first found the  term by  reading  , however i'm unsure how that  would parse to  RAD  classes 

whether  acronyms  care pronounced as words or  as letters is an interesting topic. 

Terms are often contextual  and the same term can have very  different meanings  in different contexts, even before we consider those who choose to  to wield words  as power and  take advantage of their privilege. 

21 hours ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

IN fact I say an for many letters

eg

It is spelt with an S not a C.

because the first sound   in the English pronounciation of a good few  letters is a vowel  even if the letter itself is a consonant...  e.g. eff, aitch, ell, emm, en , arr , ess , exe, 

1 hour ago, Kate_N said:

Although in my world, "Central" means Central sChool of Speech and Drama, not Central School of Ballet

Just to confuse matters more, DD and her fellow graduates from various dance/drama courses always use Central to refer to Central London in general.  e.g. we went to Central for a drink.

I also sound out each letter, so therefore I would say 'an' RAD exam. 'An' is used before words or abbreviations starting with a vowel sound, while 'a' is used before words starting with a consonant sound. 

Because 'RAD' would, as you say, start with the vowel sound 'are', you would use 'an'. However, you would say 'a university' however because university starts with a 'yoo' consonant sound. Sometimes people get confused because they think that the indefinite article changes depending on whether a word is spelled with a vowel or a consonant as the first letter, when really what matters is the sound of the start of the word.

Although, if you were saying rad as in radical, you would say 'a rad exam'. Just to confuse things :) 

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/a_3 (proof!)

Edited by Viv

I've only ever heard RAD referred to by the initials and RADA and LAMDA as words.
"Central" depends on the context. Usually Central School of Ballet because I'm in the dance field but obviously it's clear that when an actor is talking about where they trained that they mean Central School of Speech and Drama.

I've never heard anyone refer to central London in general as "central" and I've lived in London. I've only every heard it referred to as "town."

• Like 1