Royal Ballet 2019 Promotions

Marcelino Sambé promoted to Principal dancer with The Royal Ballet

The Royal Ballet announces promotion for the 2019/20 Season.

Director of The Royal Ballet Kevin O’Hare today announces that Marcelino Sambé has been promoted to Principal dancer, the highest rank in the Company.  O’Hare comments: “I’m thrilled to announce that Marcelino Sambé will become a Principal dancer from the start of the 2019/20 Season. He has had a fantastic year with some notable debuts, including a dazzling Basilio in Carlos Acosta’s Don Quixote, and a heartfelt Romeo in Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet. The impressive range of his artistry has also been displayed in his performances this Season in Crystal Pite’s Flight Pattern, Frederick Ashton’s Les Patineurs and Wayne McGregor’s Infra. He has the most wonderful personality that endears him to audiences and fellow Company members alike. I know everyone will be delighted with the news of his promotion. He has accomplished so much since joining the Company from The Royal Ballet School, and I’m very excited to see him progress to the next phase of his career.”

Born in Lisbon, Marcelino Sambé joined The Royal Ballet in 2012 from The Royal Ballet Upper School. He was promoted to First Artist in 2014, Soloist in 2015 and First Soloist in 2017. He began his training at the National Conservatory of Lisbon. His repertory with the Company includes Romeo (Romeo and Juliet), Basilio (Don Quixote), Colas (La Fille mal gardée), Oberon (The Dream), Hans-Peter/Nutcracker (The Nutcracker), Mercutio (Romeo and Juliet), Lescaut (Manon) and Benno (Swan Lake). He has created roles in Crystal Pite’s Flight Pattern, Obsidian Tear, Multiverse and Woolf Works by Wayne McGregor, and Hofesh Shechter’s Untouchable. Sambé’s dance awards include a silver medal at the Moscow International Ballet Competition in 2008, first prize at the Youth American Grand Prix in 2009, a gold medal and special award at the USA International Ballet Competition in 2010 and the Dance Europe Award for Outstanding Male Performance (Classical) at the Critics’ Circle National Dance Awards 2017.

Details of additional promotions, leavers and joiners will be announced at the end of the season.

• Like 19

CONGRATULATIONS MARCELINO. ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL NEWS.

No doubt the announcement  (but not the promotion itself) has been accelerated by the 'string pullers' in Japan.

It is, of course, as many of us had predicted and soooooooo well-deserved.

Of course, in addition to his stellar performances here, Marcelino represented the RB in New York to great acclaim. A pity, in a way, that mention couldn't have been made of that in the Press Release.

[Edited to add that I've just seen the paper copy of The Times and think it rather a pity that the text has a picture of Carlos Acosta in the midst of it. Marcelino has earned this promotion entirely in his own right. This is HIS  big moment and we are thrilled to celebrate with him!]

Edited by capybara
  • Like 10

Just fantastic news and so well deserved. He has been outstanding in this last season - coming on literally in leaps and bounds - and I’ve been so impressed by his articulate, charming and committed presence when interviewed at rehearsals etc. Brilliant! 

• Like 4

Brilliant news - and after his stunning performances last year in New York in both Tarantella and the Tschai PDD both he and the equally magnificent O'Sullivan - such a glorious pairing - are already stars there as well.  No question but that they will sell tickets and DVDs for a goodly amount of time to come.  

• Like 7

Congratulations to Marcelino - well deserved.  He was a wonderful Romeo when I went to see Romeo and Juliet.  Also loved him as Hans Peter In the Nutcracker, on both occasions with Anna Rose O'Sullivan - fantastic.

Edited by Margaret

26 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

As featured in Today's Links this morning:  

Always worth a look!

And the full piece was available to read when I looked but not when I had first tried aliceinwoodland’s link.

Agree about Mr Sissens- I am very keen to see a lot more of Joseph Sissens next year. On my visits he has often been there in the background dancing like a dream, but I would like him to come out to the front now please...so that I can really get a chance to see that elegant line and impressive jump, and I suspect he is capable of much much more.

• Like 6